• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:20
CEST 06:20
KST 13:20
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8230 users

College Acceptance Thread '11 - Page 13

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 36 Next All
cskalias.pbe
Profile Joined April 2010
United States293 Posts
March 25 2011 04:03 GMT
#241
On March 25 2011 12:47 Alchemyst wrote:

Was deferred from MIT, and expected a rejection because of my craptastic essays, but somehow got in. Pretty sure it was thanks to the art portfolio of Lego I sent in, lol.


Reall cool. Did you send the art portfolio after your deferral or before? At the top top schools, deferral is almost always a polite rejection.
ggggbabybabybaby
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Canada304 Posts
March 25 2011 04:09 GMT
#242
TIL everyone on TL does really well in school. This thread makes me feel so lazy.

It seems like US schools are so hard to get into. I basically slacked and skipped class most of high school and didn't have any extracurricular stuff and got into engineering at UofT here in Canada which is a decent school here. I've been pretty lazy all of university and only had a GPA barely over 2 but I'm only going to have about $25k in debt when I graduate in a year with 4 years of school plus a year of exchange where I dropped out and just traveled. It's so easy to get free money here from grants and such.

Maybe some of you should apply to Canadian schools? Seems like it's way easier to get into. Oh but I guess it's too late for September.

RiotSpectre
Profile Joined October 2010
United States163 Posts
March 25 2011 04:13 GMT
#243
I got a 1420 on my SAT...back when a 1420 was actually a pretty decent score!

This numbers all seem very important pre-college, but once you get into a school they become meaningless. I'm applying to medical schools and not a single one asked what my SAT scores were, how many AP's I took or what my high school GPA was. (Of course there are different tests to take for graduate programs).

The reason I say this is not to disparage hard work in high school, but to let everyone who doesn't have an excellent high school "resume" know that college will give them another shot - so make the best of it!

Keitzer
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States2509 Posts
March 25 2011 04:14 GMT
#244
Why do all the Asians have insane GPA/score reports?

Can someone give a detailed-enough response for me please?
I'm like badass squared | KeitZer.489
Jombozeus
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
China1014 Posts
March 25 2011 04:16 GMT
#245
On March 25 2011 13:14 Keitzer wrote:
Why do all the Asians have insane GPA/score reports?

Can someone give a detailed-enough response for me please?


Because we work harder on average. I don't know how detailed it has to get. If you have a decent IQ above 110, spends the time, you will be able to get 2000+ SAT.
Alchemyst
Profile Joined August 2009
United States36 Posts
March 25 2011 04:17 GMT
#246
I've heard that most schools just look at unweighted because of the strange differences between schools on weighting. I have a friend whose school actually gives +/-'s, so an A+ would have a different GPA than a A. It was the first time I heard of such a thing.

On March 25 2011 13:02 feanor1 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 25 2011 12:59 Blisse wrote:
What do American high school marks mean in Canada? O; And what's the difference between Universities and Colleges? As far as I know, I've only applied to universities?

Basically Universities are larger and a collection of colleges that specialize in various things, IE your University will have a school of Business


Huh, didn't know that. So colleges make up a university sometimes. Yet in the U.S. there are some single schools that are named ____ college. Seems really arbitary.

On March 25 2011 13:03 cskalias.pbe wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 25 2011 12:47 Alchemyst wrote:

Was deferred from MIT, and expected a rejection because of my craptastic essays, but somehow got in. Pretty sure it was thanks to the art portfolio of Lego I sent in, lol.


Reall cool. Did you send the art portfolio after your deferral or before? At the top top schools, deferral is almost always a polite rejection.


Thanks! I sent it before the deferral. After deferral I didn't send in anything else, minus the midyear report; kinda gave up.
Fantasy and Stork Fanboy.
Blisse
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada3710 Posts
March 25 2011 04:21 GMT
#247
Yeah what the hell. Why do Canadian Universities look so terrible compared to American ones. 98 average getting declined? Insane.

I've been working my average up since grade 9. It was 92 the last few years and I've finally pulled it up to 94. Aiming for 95 by the end of the year. Second term marks due today. You guys are total nonsense.


My reasoning for Asians working harder is because more of them are immigrants, and they realized that their parents sacrificed a lot to bring them overseas, so disappointing them is really not an option. I can't speak for South Asians though. Maybe some are just naturally more disciplined.
There is no one like you in the universe.
101toss
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
3232 Posts
March 25 2011 04:21 GMT
#248
On March 25 2011 13:16 Jombozeus wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 25 2011 13:14 Keitzer wrote:
Why do all the Asians have insane GPA/score reports?

Can someone give a detailed-enough response for me please?


Because we work harder on average. I don't know how detailed it has to get. If you have a decent IQ above 110, spends the time, you will be able to get 2000+ SAT.

Although, many asians are lacking in the EC department.
Math doesn't kill champions and neither do wards
blankspace
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States292 Posts
March 25 2011 04:25 GMT
#249
Best way to get into a top college in US is to have strong grades, high test scores, and some high achievement in an area. For example, if you make mop for math, a science olympiad traveling team, or are a sick athlete or were a national debate champion, on top of good grades you stand a pretty strong chance. And there are typically enough people like this to fill up a lot of spots in top schools, which makes it hard to get in if you dont have this type of profile.
Hello friends
writer22816
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States5775 Posts
March 25 2011 04:26 GMT
#250
On March 25 2011 12:57 feanor1 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 25 2011 12:56 CPTBadAss wrote:
You crazy kids. How do you have a GPA that's more than 4.0??

They cheat. Any honors or AP course is graded on a 5.0 scale(A=5,B=4...), and then weight it into your overal gpa
And almost every school will recalculate your GPA to standardize it with all their other apps. So if your school doesn't weight it it doesn't matter the school will do it for you


Oh so that's why everyone's GPA was so high. I'm doing IB and A is a 4.5, so I was like wtf b/c some people had >4.5 GPAs which quite frankly I thought was ridiculous.
8/4/12 never forget, never forgive.
DotADeMoN
Profile Joined June 2010
United States517 Posts
March 25 2011 04:28 GMT
#251
On March 25 2011 08:36 Navi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 25 2011 08:30 Froadac wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:29 Wire wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:05 cerka wrote:
Acceptances:
University of Michigan
California Pyrotechnical Institute: San Luis Obispo
Southern Methodist University
UCSB
UCI

Rejected:
Washington University in Saint Louis
UCLA
UCSD

Waiting to hear back from:
Berkeley
Cornell University
Lehigh University
Vanderbilt University
Wesleyan University

Stats:
4.72 weighted HS GPA (Freshmen through Junior year)
2260 SAT
SAT II:
800 Math II
770 US History
740 English
And a ton of extra curricular activities, leadership, etc.


Damn you didn't make WashU? I'm there right now and my GPA is below yours lol 4.21. SAT better tho 2300. GL on Berkeley. I've always been a strong believer of the LA/Berkeley Tradeoff. If LA rejected you you just might get Berkeley

There is something you aren't telling us. You'd get into washington U if you really had all this leadership stuff, etc.


well that's one helluva sassy way to put it lol
from what i hear wash u loves to accept a lot of their early application peeps and waitlist / reject a lot of the rest (the people who apply early usually have more motivation to go into wash u etc.) and thus their numbers (for # of students invited / # of students accepted) look really good on paper. kind of a dickish way to mess with the statistics imo



Freshman at WashU here. They had wayyyy more people accept offers than they expected last year, so the number of people admitted here is down 15% from last year even though the # of applicants increased by 15%. It also depends a lot on the major/area of study you applied for.
Dubes
Profile Joined August 2010
United States327 Posts
March 25 2011 04:54 GMT
#252
I was accepted to CSUS (Sacramento State) earlier this month! Go Hornets!!
aev
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
166 Posts
March 25 2011 05:48 GMT
#253
Applied Early Decision to Carnegie Mellon, got accepted, so I'm going there. So happy!
I also applied to USC's scholarship program (before my CMU decision) and got it, although its kinda stupid cos I can't even go there now hehe.

Stats:
IB Diploma student, 41 predicted
3.85 unweighted, 4.05 weighted
SAT: 2110 first try, 2320 second
780 Physics, 800 Math II, 720 US History
APs: 4 US History, 5 Calc AB, 5 Microecon
ECs: Varsity rugby, student council
Rec letters: I think they were pretty good, although theres no way of knowing for sure
etc,etc...
gchan
Profile Joined October 2007
United States654 Posts
March 25 2011 06:01 GMT
#254
On March 25 2011 12:43 Mailing wrote:
My question is...

Is it worth it to go to a super top tier University?

Sure places like Mudd have a high "graduate income", but you can get a good career making good money at almost any University if you put the work and time in... is 90k-120k a year as opposed to 50-60k a year worth throwing your entire age 15-30 experience away?

Not only that, but you basically HAVE to succeed in these schools, or you get out with massive dept and loans (over hundreds of thousands of dollars)?

I rank colleges/units as low/medium/high/top. I am 3 years into Uni at a mid level institution and am doing fine without massive stress or anything that I hear a lot of top uni students get..


Top tier universities are worth it in the sense that they can open up many more opportunities. In a tier 3 or tier 2 school, you won't be tossing your 15-30 experience away; in a tier 1 school, you can choose to toss your 15-30 experience away. I think that is the difference there. But of course there is a premium you have to pay on this choice, whether it is financial or time sacrificed in HS. When I was younger, it wasn't something I thought much about, but not that I've worked a few years, I've noticed that people do regard you different if you come from a tier 1 school. And by different, I mean both sides of it--admiration/respect as well as jealousy. Shrug, it is what it is.
Blisse
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada3710 Posts
March 25 2011 06:24 GMT
#255
On March 25 2011 15:01 gchan wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 25 2011 12:43 Mailing wrote:
My question is...

Is it worth it to go to a super top tier University?

Sure places like Mudd have a high "graduate income", but you can get a good career making good money at almost any University if you put the work and time in... is 90k-120k a year as opposed to 50-60k a year worth throwing your entire age 15-30 experience away?

Not only that, but you basically HAVE to succeed in these schools, or you get out with massive dept and loans (over hundreds of thousands of dollars)?

I rank colleges/units as low/medium/high/top. I am 3 years into Uni at a mid level institution and am doing fine without massive stress or anything that I hear a lot of top uni students get..


Top tier universities are worth it in the sense that they can open up many more opportunities. In a tier 3 or tier 2 school, you won't be tossing your 15-30 experience away; in a tier 1 school, you can choose to toss your 15-30 experience away. I think that is the difference there. But of course there is a premium you have to pay on this choice, whether it is financial or time sacrificed in HS. When I was younger, it wasn't something I thought much about, but not that I've worked a few years, I've noticed that people do regard you different if you come from a tier 1 school. And by different, I mean both sides of it--admiration/respect as well as jealousy. Shrug, it is what it is.


What is 15-30 experience, and what is a top tier school.
There is no one like you in the universe.
GhostKorean
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States2330 Posts
March 25 2011 06:30 GMT
#256
On March 25 2011 15:24 Blisse wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 25 2011 15:01 gchan wrote:
On March 25 2011 12:43 Mailing wrote:
My question is...

Is it worth it to go to a super top tier University?

Sure places like Mudd have a high "graduate income", but you can get a good career making good money at almost any University if you put the work and time in... is 90k-120k a year as opposed to 50-60k a year worth throwing your entire age 15-30 experience away?

Not only that, but you basically HAVE to succeed in these schools, or you get out with massive dept and loans (over hundreds of thousands of dollars)?

I rank colleges/units as low/medium/high/top. I am 3 years into Uni at a mid level institution and am doing fine without massive stress or anything that I hear a lot of top uni students get..


Top tier universities are worth it in the sense that they can open up many more opportunities. In a tier 3 or tier 2 school, you won't be tossing your 15-30 experience away; in a tier 1 school, you can choose to toss your 15-30 experience away. I think that is the difference there. But of course there is a premium you have to pay on this choice, whether it is financial or time sacrificed in HS. When I was younger, it wasn't something I thought much about, but not that I've worked a few years, I've noticed that people do regard you different if you come from a tier 1 school. And by different, I mean both sides of it--admiration/respect as well as jealousy. Shrug, it is what it is.


What is 15-30 experience, and what is a top tier school.

15-30 experience is your life when you are 15-30 years old. He's saying that you can throw away your youth by staying shut inside studying and not doing anything "fun". A top tier school is a school that is considered among the most prestigious. Probably talking about U.S. Universities e.g. Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Princeton, MIT, etc
EchelonTee
Profile Joined February 2011
United States5262 Posts
March 25 2011 06:30 GMT
#257
still waiting for my private universities... got into UC Berkeley and other random UCs, but holding out. So many people getting rejected though I'm worried >.<
aka "neophyte". learn lots. dont judge. laugh for no reason. be nice. seek happiness. -D[9]
beastmode548
Profile Joined December 2010
26 Posts
March 25 2011 06:31 GMT
#258
dont go to berk, i hated it there
StyLeD
Profile Joined January 2011
United States2965 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-25 07:22:30
March 25 2011 07:16 GMT
#259
I'm asian and I'm terrible, about third-tier in my school, if UCB/UCLA was 1st tier, and UCI/CalPoly was 2nd tier.

Probably going to American University in D.C. as a polysci major. Not too bad for my grades, they gave me a full ride ^^

Got rejected from UCI, UCD, CalPoly...still waiting for BU, but it seems like I'm grasping at straws here.

Sigh...I don't deserve much anyways. Haven't done well in school by my standards. Thought going to a top 40 HS in US would help, but apparently it doesn't.

Best of luck to those of you guys who've achieved better, you guys really deserve it.
"Even gophers love Starcraft" - Tasteless. || Davichi | IU <3
cskalias.pbe
Profile Joined April 2010
United States293 Posts
March 25 2011 07:17 GMT
#260
in general if you're smart and a hard worker (and know what that actually means) you will do well. That said, there are some jobs that almost exclusively hire from top tier schools (HMPSY) right out of undergrad, especially in finance( private equity, venture capital, hedge funds).

There are a lot of professions though where undergrad hardly matters at all (law, medicine).
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 36 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 41m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 243
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 591
Larva 335
Leta 66
NaDa 48
TT1 23
Icarus 10
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm224
League of Legends
JimRising 706
Other Games
summit1g10283
WinterStarcraft448
Mew2King101
ViBE85
ArmadaUGS53
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1356
BasetradeTV263
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream118
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• davetesta33
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki23
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota255
League of Legends
• Rush1125
• Lourlo839
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5h 41m
INu's Battles
7h 41m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
10h 41m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
14h 41m
BSL Open Qualifier
14h 41m
Replay Cast
18h 41m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 5h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 6h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 11h
Replay Cast
1d 18h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.