• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:16
CEST 02:16
KST 09:16
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8067 users

College Acceptance Thread '11 - Page 15

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 13 14 15 16 17 36 Next All
Sermokala
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States14211 Posts
March 25 2011 21:37 GMT
#281
I have a 2.6 GPA 180 out of 260 rank got a 32 on the ACT and am into UMD (university of minnisota duluth)
one of the captains of my schools FIRST team that went to nationals and placed in the top half there.

I applied to michigan tech and a couple other places and got in everywhere. but all in all I don't think its really that hard to get into a decent college in america it costs quite a bit is the real sticking point you can get scholarships to places if you got the grades or (being frank here) are of a minority poor or am female. I am none of these so I'm going to have to go to a good paying career even if I really don't like it. (my current girlfriend wants to be a social studies teacher so I might have to help her out to if we make it though college together)

a Bunch of my friends are even going to community college for 2 years to get all their generals done before transferring to a real university beacuse its a lot cheaper.
A wise man will say that he knows nothing. We're gona party like its 2752 Hail Dark Brandon
jahre
Profile Joined November 2008
United States95 Posts
March 25 2011 21:38 GMT
#282
Best of luck to all attending. I graduated last December, and I wish I was starting over again. The real world sucks. Enjoy your time.
"I am as bad as the worst, but, thank God, I am as good as the best." -Walt Whitman
RedPill
Profile Joined December 2010
United States63 Posts
March 25 2011 21:38 GMT
#283
On March 26 2011 06:20 ScrubS wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the diffrence is between college and university? In Europe, ppl go to University (if ur smart) or some other, lower specialized education (such as becoming a elementary school teacher)


As far I can tell, there really is no major difference. But if I were to generalize (a lot), colleges tend to be smaller and also tend to be liberal arts focused. Even then, the term "college" is interchangeable with "university". For example, I couldn't really tell you why Dartmouth is a college while Brown is a university.

A long time back it would have been ridiculous in the 1600s to call Harvard a university because it started with just a few students and couldn't compare to Oxford/Cambridge in the least. The name kind of stuck around until much later and I guess the same is true for a lot of American colleges?
aristarchus
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States652 Posts
March 25 2011 21:38 GMT
#284
On March 26 2011 06:34 Kipsate wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 26 2011 06:20 ScrubS wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the diffrence is between college and university? In Europe, ppl go to University (if ur smart) or some other, lower specialized education (such as becoming a elementary school teacher)


I believe the terms are interchangable, however some public universities I believe are more of the level of ''HBO'' in our country. Either way, I was wondering what does regents accepted/rejected or regents mean?


In the US they're largely interchangeable. Technically I believe the difference is that universities offer post-graduate degrees or have multiple separate "colleges" within them (college of sciences, college of law, etc.). Places that use "college" tend to be smaller, but there are plenty of colleges that are extremely prestigious. This is unique to the US, I believe - everywhere else "college" is much less prestigious.
ThumperSD
Profile Joined September 2010
United States333 Posts
March 25 2011 21:41 GMT
#285
On March 26 2011 06:38 jahre wrote:
Best of luck to all attending. I graduated last December, and I wish I was starting over again. The real world sucks. Enjoy your time.

Major?
wake up your mind
jahre
Profile Joined November 2008
United States95 Posts
March 25 2011 21:41 GMT
#286
BA in English
Minors in History/Creative Writing
"I am as bad as the worst, but, thank God, I am as good as the best." -Walt Whitman
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
March 25 2011 21:46 GMT
#287
In the united states, you typically use "college" to refer to going into higher education at all - example, a highschool graduate would say "next fall I am going to college" regardless of the actual school they're attending. You don't really hear people say "I am going to University"

As far as the actual distinction, which institution uses which name, as far as I can tell, it's about the size. For example, classes at Cornell University are separated into seven more specific areas, named "colleges" that function as independant units, choosing which students to accept, which courses to offer, which professors teach those courses, offering advising and other academic programs, etc. The colleges together make up the University that is Cornell. Many other schools operate by this system, including the one I attend. My twin sister however, attends a much smaller school than I do (literally about 1/6th the enrollment) that does not hold this separation. It uses the title of college.

tl;dr - university is a conglomeration of multiple "sub units" - these sub units are called colleges, but colleges can also be separate, not part of a university.
fuzzy_panda
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
New Zealand1681 Posts
March 25 2011 21:53 GMT
#288
i thought college was just an american thing down here in New Zealand we use college somewhat interchangeably with high school (e.g. i went to Saint Kentigern College for year 9-13). We use University, uni or varsity for higher education, or we just call it tertiary education
GhostKorean
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States2330 Posts
March 25 2011 21:55 GMT
#289
Accepted:
UC San Diego
UC Irvine
UC LA

Rejected:
UC Berkeley
USC

Waiting:
University of Pennsylvania

SAT: 2170
Korean w/ Listening: 790
Math 2: 750
Chemistry: 750
4.34 Weighted GPA, 3.9 Unweighted
Mostly 3's on a bunch of AP's... :\
Major: Chem E.

fffffffuuuuuu lost all hope of getting into Penn... =(
Milkis
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
5003 Posts
March 25 2011 21:59 GMT
#290
On March 25 2011 12:43 Mailing wrote:
My question is...

Is it worth it to go to a super top tier University?

Sure places like Mudd have a high "graduate income", but you can get a good career making good money at almost any University if you put the work and time in... is 90k-120k a year as opposed to 50-60k a year worth throwing your entire age 15-30 experience away?

Not only that, but you basically HAVE to succeed in these schools, or you get out with massive dept and loans (over hundreds of thousands of dollars)?

I rank colleges/units as low/medium/high/top. I am 3 years into Uni at a mid level institution and am doing fine without massive stress or anything that I hear a lot of top uni students get..


It's worth it if you're getting a job. It's less important if you're going to grad school
jliu
Profile Joined March 2011
282 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-25 22:01:29
March 25 2011 21:59 GMT
#291
Congrats to everyone getting into any school! It already puts you in a very high category in comparison to the rest of the world. Every college is different, but please don't go to college (esp. top schools) for the sole purpose of getting a degree, or just so you can leave and go to graduate school (or even worse.... just so you can flaunt your resume). You'll either find things impossibly hard or find other destructive ways to dump your stress. You are not your grades, your achievements, your failures, your school, or your resume - you are you. Find out what you like, work hard, and grow up. This coming from second-year junior applying to grad school next year who nearly did exactly that.
LosingID8
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
CA10835 Posts
March 25 2011 22:03 GMT
#292
On March 26 2011 06:37 sermokala wrote:
I applied to michigan tech and a couple other places and got in everywhere. but all in all I don't think its really that hard to get into a decent college in america it costs quite a bit is the real sticking point you can get scholarships to places if you got the grades or (being frank here) are of a minority poor or am female. I am none of these so I'm going to have to go to a good paying career even if I really don't like it. (my current girlfriend wants to be a social studies teacher so I might have to help her out to if we make it though college together)

it depends on your definition of "decent" college
ModeratorResident K-POP Elitist
strang
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada28 Posts
March 25 2011 22:18 GMT
#293
On March 26 2011 06:59 Milkis wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 25 2011 12:43 Mailing wrote:
My question is...

Is it worth it to go to a super top tier University?

Sure places like Mudd have a high "graduate income", but you can get a good career making good money at almost any University if you put the work and time in... is 90k-120k a year as opposed to 50-60k a year worth throwing your entire age 15-30 experience away?

Not only that, but you basically HAVE to succeed in these schools, or you get out with massive dept and loans (over hundreds of thousands of dollars)?

I rank colleges/units as low/medium/high/top. I am 3 years into Uni at a mid level institution and am doing fine without massive stress or anything that I hear a lot of top uni students get..


It's worth it if you're getting a job. It's less important if you're going to grad school


If you know that you want to go to grad school it's probably just as important to go to a top university. As someone who is in grad school now, and has seen many people go through the application process, I can say that students from top schools have a huge advantage when it comes to grad admissions at other top schools.
Veil
Profile Joined May 2010
Korea (South)42 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-25 22:30:16
March 25 2011 22:23 GMT
#294
Personally, I think in the end it is better go to a cheaper state university unless you really know what you want to do after undergrad. You can always transfer to another school. I mean..... having a B.S. and not knowing what to do with it after is just pointless.

I would however suggest going to a bigger university with a lot of programs, so you can pick and choose later when really deciding on what you want to major in.

Professional schools outside that of just going to grad school will take into account criteria that goes beyond just what school you come from. A specific major won't be required entering them. So GPA and such will vary from what kind of major you have had even within the same school.

In the real world... your boss won't care about your GPA or what class you took. If you can't get the job done, they will find someone else better to handle that position regardless of how awesome you look on paper.
Not enough minerals T_T
101toss
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
3232 Posts
March 25 2011 22:24 GMT
#295
On March 26 2011 06:59 Milkis wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 25 2011 12:43 Mailing wrote:
My question is...

Is it worth it to go to a super top tier University?

Sure places like Mudd have a high "graduate income", but you can get a good career making good money at almost any University if you put the work and time in... is 90k-120k a year as opposed to 50-60k a year worth throwing your entire age 15-30 experience away?

Not only that, but you basically HAVE to succeed in these schools, or you get out with massive dept and loans (over hundreds of thousands of dollars)?

I rank colleges/units as low/medium/high/top. I am 3 years into Uni at a mid level institution and am doing fine without massive stress or anything that I hear a lot of top uni students get..


It's worth it if you're getting a job. It's less important if you're going to grad school

Of course, it's easier to get into, say, stanford grad school if you went to stanford.
Math doesn't kill champions and neither do wards
Blisse
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada3710 Posts
March 25 2011 22:28 GMT
#296
Probably means nothing to you crazy scholars, but I got into Engineering Science at the University of Toronto. Waiting for response from University of Waterloo though under Software Engineering.
There is no one like you in the universe.
LosingID8
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
CA10835 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-25 22:37:47
March 25 2011 22:36 GMT
#297
i don't think you guys need to tell milkis about going to a strong undergrad school lol
ModeratorResident K-POP Elitist
Kazragore
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States369 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-26 18:12:31
March 25 2011 22:39 GMT
#298
4.1366 GPA (weighted)
2210 SAT
-740 Reading
-690 Math
-780 Writing
720 SAT II Biology
780 SAT II US History (would have been higher, but I took it ~9 months after my history class ended)
690 SAT II Literature
5 US History AP Exam
4 Chemistry AP Exam
--> Taking AP Physics, European History, and Literature this year

National Honor Society
Basketball
Track

Accepted:
Providence College
Hamilton College

Waitlisted:
Middlebury College
Colby College

Waiting:
Amherst College
Imagine if i had a REAL weapon
fams
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Canada731 Posts
March 25 2011 22:41 GMT
#299
On March 26 2011 07:36 LosingID8 wrote:
i don't think you guys need to tell milkis about going to a strong undergrad school lol

Where did Milkis go to school again, I forget -.-
http://www.twitter.com/famsytron/
KumquatExpress
Profile Joined October 2009
United States344 Posts
March 25 2011 22:48 GMT
#300
4.0 GPA UW
2400 SAT (one sitting)
790 Physics
800 Math 2
790 Literature
5's on: Physics B, Chem, Calc BC, World History, US History, Lang

Science Olympiad president (we're decent...)
Baller violinist
Community service organizations and stuff
Music organizations and stuff
Some other stuff

Accepted to: University of Chicago
Likely letters from: University of Pennsylvania, Duke
Rejected from: MIT (yeah, well, I don't like you anyway)
Waiting for: Harvard
Princeton
Yale
Columbia
Some others, but I stopped caring about them after Penn. =/

I'm a C- Protoss.
Speedythinggoesin, speedythingcomesout.
Prev 1 13 14 15 16 17 36 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
CranKy Ducklings100
Liquipedia
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
ZZZero.O156
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 161
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 931
ZZZero.O 156
Bale 19
ajuk12(nOOB) 9
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm189
League of Legends
Doublelift4468
JimRising 704
Counter-Strike
minikerr13
Other Games
summit1g10251
FrodaN2831
C9.Mang0244
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1216
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream27
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP96
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
9h 44m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
10h 44m
Monday Night Weeklies
15h 44m
Replay Cast
22h 44m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 9h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 10h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 23h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.