• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:35
CEST 21:35
KST 04:35
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War325.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
We built a tool to spot smurfs at match start 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8750 users

Headphone enthusiast thread! - Page 223

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 221 222 223 224 225 244 Next
azngamer828
Profile Joined July 2008
United States137 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-09 23:08:22
December 09 2013 23:02 GMT
#4441
just a simple question i hope everyone can answer

in-ear headsets or over-ear headsets?
what are the pros and cons for each?
i am only going to be using it for starcraft and videos/music on the PC.
Pew Pew
MoonfireSpam
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United Kingdom1153 Posts
December 10 2013 01:03 GMT
#4442
On December 01 2013 00:19 Djzapz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 30 2013 21:29 Rollin wrote:
On November 30 2013 13:19 Djzapz wrote:
So I'm pretty familiar with most of the headphone stuff that I've needed to know so far but due to my current circumstances, I'm shopping for headphones with active noise cancelling. Right now, I would be working on my master's thesis, but loud assholes are preventing me from being productive on a Friday night (how dare they ).

Anyway, this is a recurring problem and I'm interested in buying something so that I won't get distracted. That said, I've heard some dreadful noise cancelling before, and the only decent noise cancelling I've tried was on QuietComfort 15's from Bose. Are there any other options out there, preferably cheaper and not from Bose?

The headphones don't necessarily need to have great sound otherwise. I just want to keep the sound out without to much white noise or too much of a hiss.

IEMs aren't an option?

They might be an option if they're effective yes.


Have gotten good passive cancelling with the foam earpieces that come with some IEMs (at least from Shure). They're over ear, which may not be your thing, but they're not bose, don't have any hiss or white noise and cheaper I think.
c0ldfusion
Profile Joined October 2010
United States8293 Posts
December 10 2013 01:29 GMT
#4443
On December 10 2013 06:45 prochobo wrote:
I just got a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro 250 ohm in last week. Paired with a Fiio E7, they sound incredible! These are supposed to be the more bassy headphones, but they seem tamer than my Sennheiser HD 280s. I was using Sony MDR-V6s with the E7 until I got these.

They sound so much more...clear. Going from my old headphones to the 990's, you can easily tell the difference in clarity. Individual instruments are easy to pick out and everything doesn't "blend" in together like with cheaper headphones. There's a clear difference between mids and highs, which is hard to tell with my cheaper cans.


oh I think I saw that deal last week.

I was debating pulling the trigger since I don't have any beyers. But it's just too hard to justify after picking up the HD650 just a week before that.
c0ldfusion
Profile Joined October 2010
United States8293 Posts
December 10 2013 01:32 GMT
#4444
On December 10 2013 08:02 azngamer828 wrote:
just a simple question i hope everyone can answer

in-ear headsets or over-ear headsets?
what are the pros and cons for each?
i am only going to be using it for starcraft and videos/music on the PC.


For home use, absolutely stick with circumaural headphones for the comfort and sound-stage.

Don't bother with either supra-aural or in-ear - they're for the commute/travel.
You don't need the isolation if you're at home.
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
December 10 2013 02:16 GMT
#4445
On December 10 2013 10:03 MoonfireSpam wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 01 2013 00:19 Djzapz wrote:
On November 30 2013 21:29 Rollin wrote:
On November 30 2013 13:19 Djzapz wrote:
So I'm pretty familiar with most of the headphone stuff that I've needed to know so far but due to my current circumstances, I'm shopping for headphones with active noise cancelling. Right now, I would be working on my master's thesis, but loud assholes are preventing me from being productive on a Friday night (how dare they ).

Anyway, this is a recurring problem and I'm interested in buying something so that I won't get distracted. That said, I've heard some dreadful noise cancelling before, and the only decent noise cancelling I've tried was on QuietComfort 15's from Bose. Are there any other options out there, preferably cheaper and not from Bose?

The headphones don't necessarily need to have great sound otherwise. I just want to keep the sound out without to much white noise or too much of a hiss.

IEMs aren't an option?

They might be an option if they're effective yes.


Have gotten good passive cancelling with the foam earpieces that come with some IEMs (at least from Shure). They're over ear, which may not be your thing, but they're not bose, don't have any hiss or white noise and cheaper I think.

I lobbied to get me some ATH-ACN7b from audio technica from the gf for xmas, they seem to be the best available thing in their price range. They're not QC15's but yeah they should be good.

As for passive noise cancelling, my RE-400 earbuds came with some comply foam tips. They should be decent but I don't think they'd be sufficient for my purposes. My ATH-M50's are okay at passive noise cancelling but still insufficient also.
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
Jer99
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Canada8160 Posts
December 10 2013 02:20 GMT
#4446
35$ to spend on headphones, suggestions?
StrategyTaeJa #1 || @TL_Jer99 || "seeker seeked out his seeking"
azngamer828
Profile Joined July 2008
United States137 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-10 02:27:08
December 10 2013 02:25 GMT
#4447
looking to buy over-ear headphones for $100 and dont need a mic
used for starcraft and video/music!
suggestions?
Thanks~
Pew Pew
ShivaN
Profile Joined January 2007
United States933 Posts
December 10 2013 04:42 GMT
#4448
Just wanted to update to say I did indeed order the ATH M50 with the Fiio E10. Thanks to everyone who helped me out in this thread, you guys are awesome! I'm super excited to try these bad boys out, too bad it won't be until after Christmas! I'll update with my thoughts though after I've had some time to break them in. Thanks again for all the great advice!
CubEdIn
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
Romania5359 Posts
December 10 2013 13:37 GMT
#4449
On December 10 2013 11:25 azngamer828 wrote:
looking to buy over-ear headphones for $100 and dont need a mic
used for starcraft and video/music!
suggestions?
Thanks~


AudioTechnica's ATH M50 / Creative Aurvana Live!

You'll see these two everywhere you ask about headphones in this budget. For a reason.

@ShivaN - Don't worry about breaking them in, you probably won't hear any difference anyway, it's 90% placebo. It's not a car engine.
Do however let us know what you think, and try it with and without the FiiO as well, just for comparison reasons.

@prochobo - Lower-end Sennheisers have a bit muddier bass, even if it's strong, it's not clear. This is true especially for IEMs, like the streetwear CX series. So it's only natural that the Beyer sound better in this area.
Im not a n00b, I just play like one.
AmericanNightmare
Profile Joined September 2011
United States98 Posts
December 10 2013 19:14 GMT
#4450
I would like a pair of all-around headphones. My brother has an expensive Yamahas and I think they sound pretty good. I would like something with more bass. Also I don't know how they would do with gaming. I was going to get the high end Bose, but read they are horrible with gaming.

Money isn't really important. Let's say around $1000 is my budget, but not looking to go over $1500. As long as what I'm buying is what fits my needs I don't mind paying. Music/Gaming/Movies are the three areas I would need. If I would need to purchase anything else in order to get a better sound please tell me.

Also if someone could recommend the best in-ear headphone as well.. music only would be played with those.
If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions. Call me the America Nightmare. Call me the American Dream.
CubEdIn
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
Romania5359 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-10 19:45:39
December 10 2013 19:41 GMT
#4451
There's no such thing as "the best", even if you're looking for music only, not to mention all rounders.

First thing you need to know is that for that budget you should also get a DAC + AMP, which are essential for high-end headphones otherwise they sound like crap.
One set-up I'd recommend that sound more towards neutral and should be ok in games is the Denon D-7000 and a Burson HA-160 but you would still need a very good source (so a dedicated DAC), and these two already get you into the 1500s.
Problem with high-end gear is that without proper support they don't sound like $1000 headphones.

Another set-up would be Sennheiser HD 650 + Schiit Bitfrost + Burson Soloist. This should be a pretty impressive sound all-round, but I haven not heard all 3 together (I did hear the 650s on the Soloist and they are insanely good).

A whole different approach which would probably be more suitable for gaming is the Audeze LCD-2 (they were on discount recently, under $1000 I think), + Schiit Mondi + Schiit Magni. The AMP and DAC are cheap in this case but they should be enough to drive them. It won't take them to their full potential but they would definitely sound much better than straight out of your computer. But for music the differences would be more evident between this amp and the Burson I suggested above.
Also, the FiiO E07K + FiiO E09K are a good combination of DAC+AMP that should handle any of these three I mentioned, at decent quality. Almost forgot about them.

And finally, for IEMs - http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone-list/ arranged by sound quality, just pick a price and see what you can get for it. Also has links to individual reviews, should be simple enough.


Still, if you're willing to spend that much on headphones you should definitely find a hi-fi store that has stock (AMPs/DACs/High End Headphones) and go there and listen to a few combinations. Just to understand how much each part matters to you. An expensive headphone without a DAC/AMP can sound *much* worse than something half its price with a decent source/amplification. Your request is much too broad to be reduced to a simple "buy X headphone" reply.
Im not a n00b, I just play like one.
Genjimaru
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Canada515 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-10 20:25:26
December 10 2013 20:17 GMT
#4452
So I own a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50's. I do not have an amp or dac. Was just wondering what some good options were. I was looking at the JDS Labs O2+ODAC but it seems somewhat expensive at near 300$(from what I saw) Just wondering if it would be worth it or if my money could be better spent elsewhere.

Mainly just use my headphones for music listening but i'm trying to get into some production as well. Any help is appreciated. Also going to be getting an audio interface if anyone has any recommendations.

Edit: I guess $300 or so would be the top of my budget for the amp+dac. Since that's more expensive than my headphones themselves. But I'm probably looking to upgrade at some point anyway.
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-10 20:29:56
December 10 2013 20:28 GMT
#4453
You'd be much better off getting monitors if you want to produce.

Failing that, new headphones, not that the ATH-M50s are bad. Amps are more for providing slightly cleaner power to finicky (in some sense; like really high or low sensitivity) headphones, higher output levels, etc... but mostly for fetishist gearslut appeal and audiophile street cred. Not that there's inherently anything wrong with that approach, but it's not where to go to get real-world bang for the buck on most headphones that aren't that demanding. Similar story for most DACs, especially considering that...

if you're getting an audio interface, why do you want a separate ODAC to bypass that? Unless you're just getting something that's input only, or...? As for what to get, it depends on what kinds of inputs and outputs you need. Mostly just go by relatively recent products with reasonable driver support and the feature set you need.
Genjimaru
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Canada515 Posts
December 10 2013 20:41 GMT
#4454
Well I'd like to get studio monitors but I'm living in a basement suite atm and would prefer having headphones atleast for now. Yeah I wasn't so sure about the whole dac/amp just sounded like it was a good idea after reading a few pages of this thread. I'll for sure be getting an audio interface just not sure which atm. Any recommendations on some better headphones then?
CubEdIn
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
Romania5359 Posts
December 10 2013 20:50 GMT
#4455
Better headphones than the ATH-M50s under $300 is more of a question of taste than anything else.
Try them with a Fiio E07K/E10 (if you have a friend or a place to test them) since it's both AMP and DAC. See how it fits you. You can even buy one if you can't test because it will for sure not let you down, and if it does, return it!
Im not a n00b, I just play like one.
Genjimaru
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Canada515 Posts
December 10 2013 20:55 GMT
#4456
Sounds good. I'd be probably willing to spend up to 500$ on good headphones but I'd only do that if I'm not planning on getting monitors for a while. I'll definitely look into that dac/amp when I get moneys. Thanks for the help.
CubEdIn
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
Romania5359 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-13 13:45:34
December 13 2013 13:40 GMT
#4457
Does anyone have any experience with the Little Dot Mark III? Especially with HD600/650.
I can get it from someone (pre-owned) with upgraded tubes for like 200eur. Trying to figure out if it's worth the difference from the E09K I initially decided on.

Edit: or at least tube amps vs solid state on the HD600 or HD650s.
Im not a n00b, I just play like one.
c0ldfusion
Profile Joined October 2010
United States8293 Posts
December 13 2013 14:20 GMT
#4458
On December 11 2013 04:41 CubEdIn wrote:
There's no such thing as "the best", even if you're looking for music only, not to mention all rounders.

First thing you need to know is that for that budget you should also get a DAC + AMP, which are essential for high-end headphones otherwise they sound like crap.
One set-up I'd recommend that sound more towards neutral and should be ok in games is the Denon D-7000 and a Burson HA-160 but you would still need a very good source (so a dedicated DAC), and these two already get you into the 1500s.
Problem with high-end gear is that without proper support they don't sound like $1000 headphones.

Another set-up would be Sennheiser HD 650 + Schiit Bitfrost + Burson Soloist. This should be a pretty impressive sound all-round, but I haven not heard all 3 together (I did hear the 650s on the Soloist and they are insanely good).

A whole different approach which would probably be more suitable for gaming is the Audeze LCD-2 (they were on discount recently, under $1000 I think), + Schiit Mondi + Schiit Magni. The AMP and DAC are cheap in this case but they should be enough to drive them. It won't take them to their full potential but they would definitely sound much better than straight out of your computer. But for music the differences would be more evident between this amp and the Burson I suggested above.
Also, the FiiO E07K + FiiO E09K are a good combination of DAC+AMP that should handle any of these three I mentioned, at decent quality. Almost forgot about them.

And finally, for IEMs - http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone-list/ arranged by sound quality, just pick a price and see what you can get for it. Also has links to individual reviews, should be simple enough.


Still, if you're willing to spend that much on headphones you should definitely find a hi-fi store that has stock (AMPs/DACs/High End Headphones) and go there and listen to a few combinations. Just to understand how much each part matters to you. An expensive headphone without a DAC/AMP can sound *much* worse than something half its price with a decent source/amplification. Your request is much too broad to be reduced to a simple "buy X headphone" reply.


The problem with auditioning in store is it's hard to know the impact of the amp/DAC.
CubEdIn
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
Romania5359 Posts
December 13 2013 20:05 GMT
#4459
I agree but it depends on the store. If you go there with your own laptop and hang around for 1-2 hours, and they have a quiet room for auditions, it shouldn't be that hard. I mean, if you're gonna spend over $1000 there it's the least they can do. And you don't have to try ALL DACs/AMPs, you just need one pair to go with the headphones you want to buy, then you can tell if there's a significant difference.

In fact, it's their job to make that difference as clear as possible, otherwise you're walking out with only the headphones, instead of $500 worth of other equipment, no?
Im not a n00b, I just play like one.
c0ldfusion
Profile Joined October 2010
United States8293 Posts
December 14 2013 05:19 GMT
#4460
On December 14 2013 05:05 CubEdIn wrote:
I agree but it depends on the store. If you go there with your own laptop and hang around for 1-2 hours, and they have a quiet room for auditions, it shouldn't be that hard. I mean, if you're gonna spend over $1000 there it's the least they can do. And you don't have to try ALL DACs/AMPs, you just need one pair to go with the headphones you want to buy, then you can tell if there's a significant difference.

In fact, it's their job to make that difference as clear as possible, otherwise you're walking out with only the headphones, instead of $500 worth of other equipment, no?


Yeah maybe I just haven't found the right store.

I auditioned the HD800s in a fairly sub-optimal environment and gave me no sense of how good they'd actually sound when paired properly with the rest of the audio chain. I was simply shocked at how bad they were with what appears to be a crappy amp (and I have no idea what source it was). At least this experience revealed their dependence on being powered adequately.

Though I will say this, on that same trip I was able to demo the Momentum through my phone - by the way, not impressed.
Prev 1 221 222 223 224 225 244 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 25m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 647
ProTech152
UpATreeSC 85
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 16973
Calm 3387
Mini 429
Mind 82
910 62
soO 46
Dota 2
Gorgc5545
canceldota67
Counter-Strike
fl0m2969
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3803
Other Games
FrodaN956
Beastyqt575
Liquid`Hasu298
Khaldor239
Livibee193
C9.Mang0152
IndyStarCraft 123
olofmeister107
ZombieGrub61
QueenE52
BRAT_OK 23
MindelVK7
[ Show 21 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 13
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 22
• blackmanpl 21
• FirePhoenix15
• Michael_bg 2
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota2886
• WagamamaTV335
League of Legends
• Nemesis1682
Other Games
• imaqtpie892
• Shiphtur689
• Scarra472
• tFFMrPink 11
Upcoming Events
OSC
3h 25m
Big Brain Bouts
14h 25m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
21h 25m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
23h 25m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 14h
Patches Events
1d 19h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 23h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 23h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.