• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:23
CEST 02:23
KST 09:23
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7915 users

Headphone enthusiast thread! - Page 154

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 152 153 154 155 156 244 Next
Ckalvin
Profile Joined February 2012
Australia150 Posts
March 23 2012 17:31 GMT
#3061
There's really no such thing as an optimal setting. Purists prefer to keep things relatively balanced and neutral with a +1 or 2 to attune to their liking, but really it's up to you and what works. On my Fiio E10 when I'm using Ultrasone DJ1Pro's it's on bass boost with high gain, but with atrio's its off with low gain.

Personal preference wins!
Stay calm and split drones. I'M NESTEAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! I'M NESTEAAAAAAAAAAAA
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
March 23 2012 17:39 GMT
#3062
Use whatever sounds right to you for your music.

If you're thinking about EQ to "correct" the inherent FR of the headphones or just want to have a better idea of what's going on, you can have a general idea of the shape of the FR from data here (note they use different normalization or weighing function):
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD598.pdf
http://doctorhead.ru/images/misc/catalog/sennheiser/HD598/fr.png

and near the bottom here you can see the effect of the different EQ settings on the E17:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/587912/fiio-e17-alpen-first-impression-final-thought
essencez
Profile Joined February 2012
342 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-23 17:56:41
March 23 2012 17:56 GMT
#3063
On March 23 2012 12:20 Myrmidon wrote:
Really? Most OTL tube designs tend to have higher output impedance and higher noise levels, and as such don't play nice with lots of IEMs and many headphones unless you want potentially big frequency response variations and some hiss and mains frequency hum in the background with your music. Some forum post says Jack Woo said WA2 has 60 ohms output impedance. That's enough for about 10 dB shift in frequency response with some IEMs. Even on some fullsize headphones like some Sennheiser HD 5xx series, you'll effectively get +5 dB at around the ~100 Hz resonant hump. For many others it's no big deal though, but what does "support a wide range of impedances" really mean? It's less flexible than many cheaper options.

Of course the sound can be enjoyable from a lot of headphones, but it just seems a backwards example to bring up.

The high output impedance is limiting the power that can be delivered to lower-impedance loads, which helps them not get burned up by accident, but that's at a cost of significantly changing the sound on some models. On a side note, you can always add extra impedance to a low-impedance output source, so having this inherently built in is not really an advantage.

It's possible to just use an output stage that's current limited, which will have the same effect without the extra baggage, but that's not a real solution either because some headphones just need a lot more or less power than others, and you don't want to be so conservative that you actually do not have enough to drive some headphones.

Better is just to offer more gain options, though a careless user could still set a gain too high for some headphones and accidentally turn the volume too high, and so on.

edit: maybe the tone came off wrong here...just being befuddled from the response. I'm not trying to make an example or blanket statements about quality. I just don't think it's technically correct that a lot of higher-end gear (well, more expensive, which is what people mean, I think) are more "impedance friendly" or "support a wide range of impedances." It's not just theory; issues happen with real products.


I guess the actual term might be impedance/load switching? For example if I plug my low impedance iems into my WA2 OTL amp the power drive significantly decreases compared with a high impedance headphone. It is stated in the manual to provide:

310mW@32ohms
4000mW@60ohms <-- hopefully thats a typo
550mW@120ohms
640mW@300ohms
480mW@600ohms with stock 6080 tubes

I am using an tube with a higher drive so my power output might be somewhat slightly higher than state in the manual. I can also verify this with the preamp speaker output. The moment I plug an low impedance headphone, the speaker output (feed to a basic power amp) will immediately sound like a FM radio and significantly decrease volume levels.

I am sure the drop is to due to the decrease drive by the amp. But what I am not sure of, is if the drop is in voltage or current. I am assuming its voltage because lower impendance headphones are better with higher current and higher impendance headphones with higher voltage.

This features helps in many ways as I can switch between low/high without worrying about burn outs. I am sure if the same drive used to power my 600ohm beyers will absolutely destroy my custom iems, jh16s. And this also allows me to much more percisely control the volume when I have low imp headphones plugged in. On other amps I can sometimes barely move the volume pot by 5-10 degrees and with the WA2 I can use the entire first half or so of my volume pot.

@DSPs'. True HiFi mentality likes neutral and leaves everything else off.

essence.gg - "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." - Samuel Beckett
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-23 18:56:48
March 23 2012 18:47 GMT
#3064
"Switching" is maybe an overinterpretation of what's going on.

[image loading]

You're just getting a voltage divider circuit for each of the L and R channel (well actually, L and R channels share some very small impedance at the headphone jack, so they're not quite separated). Z_1 is the output impedance of the amplifier and Z_2 is the impedance of the headphones.

The amp is essentially driving the series combination of the amp's own output impedance plus the headphones.

V_out = V_in * Z_2 / (Z_1 + Z_2)
V_out is the voltage the headphones see. V_in is the voltage from the amplifier output. Note that Z_2 is a function of frequency; for some IEMs it could be like 10 ohms at some frequencies and 80 ohms at others in the audio frequency range, for example.

P = V^2 / Z
Power is voltage squared divided by impedance.

If Z_1 is large compared to Z_2, like if you have a OTL tube amp and low-impedance headphones, then you'll lose a lot of voltage across the output impedance of the amp. You're losing a certain percentage regardless of the output level.

Actually if you run the math, based on the given power handling figures, you'll see that the amp is furthermore a bit current limited into the lower impedances. This means it'll start clipping at a lower V_in (if you're really running it to the max power levels, which generally doesn't happen).

Note that if Z_1 is close to zero for an amp, you can add a resistor between the headphone jack and the headphones to get the same effect (adding in your own Z_1) if you really wanted.


edit2:
As another example, if you had an ideal voltage source that's voltage limited, also with Z_1 = 0 (some headphone amplifiers more or less behave this way into some or most headphone impedances), then the power delivered at any load is just the max voltage V_in squared divided by the impedance Z_2. So you get a different amount into different loads regardless if the source has high output impedance or not. This is nothing special. However, in this scenario you see that the max power into low impedances is higher than for high impedances.
Dacendoran
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States825 Posts
March 23 2012 21:32 GMT
#3065
I just ordered a pair of T50RPs and XB500's along with Sure 840 pads for my T50rp's I can't wait to recieve them later this week and mod them =3. I got the xb500's as a fun headphone they reproduce subwoofer-ish bass punch that I wanted for dubstep listening I hope I don't ruin my T50rp's regardless it will be very fun ^.^.
BroodToad
Profile Joined March 2012
United States22 Posts
March 23 2012 21:46 GMT
#3066
I just wanted to say, when I started looking into getting good headphones the first place I headed was this thread to read the various suggestions and preferences people had given. Based on that I picked out Audio Technica ATH AD700's and I've been very happy with them, they're comfortable, sound great and in general have been well worth the $100~ I spent on them. So, big thanks to Headphone enthusiast thread! You guys are awesome!
SKT | NSHS | PartinG | Jjakji | Bisu | Fantasy
CorsairHero
Profile Joined December 2008
Canada9491 Posts
March 23 2012 22:23 GMT
#3067
On March 24 2012 06:32 Dacendoran wrote:
I just ordered a pair of T50RPs and XB500's along with Sure 840 pads for my T50rp's I can't wait to recieve them later this week and mod them =3. I got the xb500's as a fun headphone they reproduce subwoofer-ish bass punch that I wanted for dubstep listening I hope I don't ruin my T50rp's regardless it will be very fun ^.^.

Did you ever hear one of these?

[image loading]
© Current year.
Ckalvin
Profile Joined February 2012
Australia150 Posts
March 24 2012 02:51 GMT
#3068
Holy crap that is some incredible modding. What wood is that?
Stay calm and split drones. I'M NESTEAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! I'M NESTEAAAAAAAAAAAA
Kewlots
Profile Joined September 2010
Australia534 Posts
March 24 2012 02:58 GMT
#3069
Srh440
gl hf gg
seiferoth10
Profile Joined May 2010
3362 Posts
March 25 2012 23:59 GMT
#3070
I was at Bestbuy one day and was pretty curious about the Beats line, so I tried them out at the little demo stand.

The $400 Beats (which I admit look sexy, the metal headband is sick) sound very similar to the $15 Koss KSC-75 (fairly clear sound, bass was present, if a little weak).
The $200 Beats (the ultra-portable ones, that are similar in design to Senn HD-25-I-II and Beyer DT1350) sound... worse than my $15 Koss KSC-75 (the sound was incredibly veiled, bass nonexistent)..

Even though I think the KSC-75 are worth much more than $15 (I'd probably put them somewhere around $40), the takeaway is that the Beats line doesn't deliver in the sound department relative to its price. I've reflected on this and I think this comparison is fairly accurate, at least to me.
CorsairHero
Profile Joined December 2008
Canada9491 Posts
March 26 2012 01:51 GMT
#3071
On March 24 2012 11:51 Ckalvin wrote:
Holy crap that is some incredible modding. What wood is that?

Not sure. More information can be found at:

http://home.comcast.net/~garybutcher/Thunderpants_TP1/Home.html
© Current year.
Zokkar
Profile Joined December 2010
Israel128 Posts
March 26 2012 10:13 GMT
#3072
Wow those headphones look really cool, nice wood.
kineSiS-
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
Korea (South)1068 Posts
March 27 2012 00:12 GMT
#3073
On March 24 2012 07:23 CorsairHero wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 24 2012 06:32 Dacendoran wrote:
I just ordered a pair of T50RPs and XB500's along with Sure 840 pads for my T50rp's I can't wait to recieve them later this week and mod them =3. I got the xb500's as a fun headphone they reproduce subwoofer-ish bass punch that I wanted for dubstep listening I hope I don't ruin my T50rp's regardless it will be very fun ^.^.

Did you ever hear one of these?

[image loading]


AHAHA Thunderpants by Smeggy. That guy. While not world-class I would say (as some have exaggerated and put it to the level of the T1 by Beyerdynamic and the HD800 by Sennheiser, I would say from what I have read that it is indeed a great headphone with great finish and a vintage/novelty feel. + It shows you how well a Foster T50RP can end up with proper modification.
kineSiS-
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
Korea (South)1068 Posts
March 27 2012 00:19 GMT
#3074
On March 26 2012 08:59 seiferoth10 wrote:
I was at Bestbuy one day and was pretty curious about the Beats line, so I tried them out at the little demo stand.

The $400 Beats (which I admit look sexy, the metal headband is sick) sound very similar to the $15 Koss KSC-75 (fairly clear sound, bass was present, if a little weak).
The $200 Beats (the ultra-portable ones, that are similar in design to Senn HD-25-I-II and Beyer DT1350) sound... worse than my $15 Koss KSC-75 (the sound was incredibly veiled, bass nonexistent)..

Even though I think the KSC-75 are worth much more than $15 (I'd probably put them somewhere around $40), the takeaway is that the Beats line doesn't deliver in the sound department relative to its price. I've reflected on this and I think this comparison is fairly accurate, at least to me.


Forgive my crass language. Actually, no. Fuck Beats, Fuck Bose. For that price point you can get so many better headphones. Although I highly don't agree with FR graphs due to relativity of testing and how different systems are set up and again different methods of testing. You can even see Skullcandy graphs matching those of high end headphones which is ridiculous. However, what I want to say is that for 400$ I would buy a pair of Sennheiser HD-25 i-ii adidas version and an E17.

Also people might find it kind of ridiculous. But my next set of IEM's are the Heir Audio 8.A

Beautiful gems.

[image loading]
CorsairHero
Profile Joined December 2008
Canada9491 Posts
March 27 2012 00:57 GMT
#3075
at the promotional price of $1,099?
© Current year.
kineSiS-
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
Korea (South)1068 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-27 03:28:51
March 27 2012 03:28 GMT
#3076
On March 27 2012 09:57 CorsairHero wrote:
at the promotional price of $1,099?


(Will be) Worth every penny.

Don't forget to factor in international shipping, audiologist fee's, and the time spent. But again...

worth it.
Don.681
Profile Joined September 2010
Philippines189 Posts
March 27 2012 12:37 GMT
#3077
Anybody here know DIY headphon earpad replacement? How? What's the best materials to use?
Don.681
Profile Joined September 2010
Philippines189 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-27 12:38:25
March 27 2012 12:37 GMT
#3078
*sorry dbl post please delete*
Flicky
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
England2675 Posts
March 27 2012 15:46 GMT
#3079
Just to say thanks to everyone who helped me out. I got my Denon AH-D2000s today.

Just need to get used to hearing bass in songs again. But they're awesome. I'm going through my test playlist as I type.
Liquipedia"I was seriously looking for a black guy" - MrHoon
Ckalvin
Profile Joined February 2012
Australia150 Posts
March 28 2012 05:56 GMT
#3080
Congrats! Did you decide on an amp yet?
Stay calm and split drones. I'M NESTEAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! I'M NESTEAAAAAAAAAAAA
Prev 1 152 153 154 155 156 244 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
CranKy Ducklings90
Liquipedia
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
ZZZero.O137
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 169
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 978
ZZZero.O 137
Bale 20
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm189
League of Legends
Doublelift4530
Counter-Strike
minikerr13
Other Games
summit1g10596
JimRising 716
C9.Mang0275
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1190
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream32
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP103
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
9h 37m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
10h 37m
Monday Night Weeklies
15h 37m
Replay Cast
22h 37m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 9h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 10h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 23h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.