• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:35
CEST 01:35
KST 08:35
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2317
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9212 users

TL a little too strict on speech? - Page 12

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 25 Next All
SweeTLemonS[TPR]
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
11739 Posts
September 24 2010 21:36 GMT
#221
On September 25 2010 06:35 cz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 25 2010 06:32 SweeTLemonS[TPR] wrote:
On September 25 2010 06:24 cz wrote:
On September 25 2010 05:48 Manifesto7 wrote:
On September 25 2010 03:52 SweeTLemonS[TPR] wrote:
While I agree with most everything you say here, I've never seen an incorrect ban fixed (could just go on in MiR I guess). I suppose that it could have changed since when I was banned once, long ago (on some total bullshit reason, that Beyonder agreed was an unnecessary ban on IRC, but wouldn't undo my ban). But if I had one complaint about moderation here, it would be the perceived infallibility mods seem to have, and the collusion between them. Certainly it makes sense that mods would agree with each other for the most part, and certainly in front of all the regular posters (you need that sort of continuity so people don't think the moderation at the site is shit, of course), but mods here seem pretty arrogant about their status sometimes.


I would say once or twice a week there is a ban that is either reversed or reduced in length. That isn't a lot, but it is consistently happening. Discussions take place in the mod section, and there is no "This user was unbanned" message. Perhaps it should be manually written in when their scarlet letter is erased.

Usually those bans aren't malicious mod bans. Mods are humans too, and sometimes they misread the context of a post. I warned someone for a lousy post which he intended as joke. He PMed to explain it to me and I erased it. Sometimes it is hard to tell.

On September 25 2010 05:08 cz wrote:This is how I always get in trouble. Some guy goes after me, mods ignore, I respond, mods temp ban me.


His post and your post were made 4 minutes apart. I am not yet hooked into TL via neural network, so I still actually have to browse the site and read with my eyes. -_-

On September 25 2010 04:52 cz wrote:
We are the site. This site is nothing without the users. TL would go under if nobody visited. TL is not doing you a favor by existing, you are doing the owner a favor by adding equity (as a pageview or as a part of the community) by being here. TL is a business, not a charity house: there's a reason why you aren't allowed to own part of its shares, even as a silent partner: those shares have monetary value.


Of course TL needs users but the rest of this is almost all rubbish. Users add pageviews and take bandwidth. It is a two way relationship. And guess what, mods are users of the site too. We just happen to be the ones that help keep the place clean. You cannot equate the TL entity to the mods. And yes, technically there are owners, but if TL is a business, where is my cheaque? What are these shares with monetary value you speak of? When TL starts charging people to be a member you may have a point, but not until then.


There are no shares because total ownership is in one person's hands or is in the hands of two or more people with an informal agreement. The bottom line, however, is that TL can both make money and has sell value. You don't get a check because the owner isn't willing to pay. It's the same thing with any website: pageviews and active membership create value that either is monetized or can be monetized through advertisement, direct sales, or so on. As a result the viewers add value to the site through their simple viewing of it (pageviews are a large factor in advertising rates) and through adding to the community which in turn attracts more.


Except that TL is mostly ad free (minus the google ones at the top). It's not exactly cheap to pay for bandwidth for a site. It has the potential to make money, but probably does not make money. And if it does, it makes very little. TL, according to the owners, is mostly about the love, though it'd be nice to make money on it... Naz or Meat posted all about this when the site's look was changed.

Ha, you're like the people from that SP episode with that line of thought. "I want your internet money."


If it never makes any profit in any way, then you are correct. Keep in mind that TL is (or was) one of the main feeders of LP, which does make a lot of money (Nazgul has made made $200-300+ from me via just a small percentage of my FTP rakeback alone, and that's just one user from LP).


Right, but LP is a separate entity, and I think they pay their "contributors" there anyway (contributors being writers and mods).
I'm never gonna know you now \ But I'm gonna love you anyhow.
MutaDoom
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Canada1163 Posts
September 24 2010 21:37 GMT
#222
On September 25 2010 06:14 matjlav wrote:
I love TL's moderating staff. This is a private website, and they want to keep it from being shitty. Awesome.

I would be interested to hear statistics on how many accounts have been created vs. how many accounts have been banned.

I'd love to see those stats, especially if someone could figure it out year-by-year. I know the banhammer has been swung a lot recently, but 99% of those were perfectly warranted. Aesop gave a great explanation on the first page:
+ Show Spoiler +
On September 25 2010 02:50 Aesop wrote:
Note: I did not issue the ban cited and didn't have anything to do with it. This is just my take on moderation that isn't representative for all Mods.

Let's talk about your example, you say:
Show nested quote +
The example I provided is someone who in obvious disagreement and he has expressed that by saying "Idra isn't god." Yet, this is ban worthy? I'm wondering why it is so easy to get temp banned on TL.


Now, firstly he posted in a thread that was about Idra being interviewed about the patch. So there is nothing to 'disagree' about. It's not remotely related to the topic of the thread. Secondly, he used a sweeping generalization, "every other zerg player". We don't like those racial stereotypes. We ban people for dissing Terran for being OP, we ban people for dissing Zerg about complaining. Thirdly, he uses bad spelling, interpunctuation, and stereotypical low-effort internet lingo. That, too, is despicable.

So in short, what we don't like is derailing a thread by posting stuff that doesn't belong there, and we give even worse marks for putting now effort into the posting. The opinion isn't important. If you disagree with anything that Idra said content-wise, you are welcome to express it, if you feel like his opinion is generally being heeded too much, you might find a way to formulate it. But not like this.
Hizzo
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States193 Posts
September 24 2010 21:38 GMT
#223
On September 25 2010 02:39 chimthegrim wrote:

This thread as an example:

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=155453


The first response was a guy that said this:
Show nested quote +

"Come on guys... Idra isnt god... he gonna qq like every other zerg player because they didnt receive buff..."

User was warned for this post

User was temp banned for this post.



So now the question I am raising here is "Is TL a little too strict on what can or can't be said on the forums?"

The example I provided is someone who in obvious disagreement and he has expressed that by saying "Idra isn't god." Yet, this is ban worthy? I'm wondering why it is so easy to get temp banned on TL.

Well, just a thought. Hopefully I don't get banned for this post.





That guy deserved it. This isn't the blizzard forums.
HuK HuK HuK HuK HuK HuK HuK HuK HuK
ilbh
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Brazil1606 Posts
September 24 2010 21:38 GMT
#224
hilarious how the OP got the first part of the phrase "Idra isn't god." to base his arguments, when it is obviously that it was the second part of the message that deserved him the ban.

Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.
hifriend
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
China7935 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-24 21:42:03
September 24 2010 21:41 GMT
#225
On September 25 2010 06:24 Chill wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 25 2010 06:15 pat965 wrote:
If you have nothing useful to say, and haven't thought out your post, the absolute least you can do is not be offensive, or over-presumptuous about it, especially in the Strategy forum. I mean, the post is still a waste of space, but at least it'll probably be ignored and nobody will be offended.

Show nested quote +
On September 17 2010 19:49 archaik wrote:
Artosis: whine whine bitch bitch. What a dork he is. Tasteless needs a new co-commentator.

User was warned for this post

You be the judge.

Lmao that clearly awards a warning imo even disregarding the ridiculous amounts of contribution artosis has made for this community. He should be temp banned for even bringing that up in this thread.
qanik
Profile Joined May 2010
Denmark1899 Posts
September 24 2010 21:43 GMT
#226
Being strict as it is is exactly why I love this forum, the moderators are doing such a great job. and obvious troll is obvious
Best Teemo World
QuanticHawk
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States32159 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-24 21:44:48
September 24 2010 21:43 GMT
#227
On September 25 2010 06:24 Chill wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 25 2010 06:15 pat965 wrote:
If you have nothing useful to say, and haven't thought out your post, the absolute least you can do is not be offensive, or over-presumptuous about it, especially in the Strategy forum. I mean, the post is still a waste of space, but at least it'll probably be ignored and nobody will be offended.

Show nested quote +
On September 17 2010 19:49 archaik wrote:
Artosis: whine whine bitch bitch. What a dork he is. Tasteless needs a new co-commentator.

User was warned for this post

You be the judge.



hahahah, my god. I guess if you lie to yourself enough, you'll really believe you're the victim??

On September 25 2010 06:28 {88}iNcontroL wrote:
Someone can say "I think artosis would be a more enjoyable commentator if he didn't complain all the time. Really hard to listen to" as opposed to what you said which has 0 value and is just annoying.


This is a way of saying the exact same thing and not get banned. You could have 1 or 100,000 posts and say this, and you would not get banned.
PROFESSIONAL GAMER - SEND ME OFFERS TO JOIN YOUR TEAM - USA USA USA
cz
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
United States3249 Posts
September 24 2010 21:45 GMT
#228
On September 25 2010 06:36 SweeTLemonS[TPR] wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 25 2010 06:35 cz wrote:
On September 25 2010 06:32 SweeTLemonS[TPR] wrote:
On September 25 2010 06:24 cz wrote:
On September 25 2010 05:48 Manifesto7 wrote:
On September 25 2010 03:52 SweeTLemonS[TPR] wrote:
While I agree with most everything you say here, I've never seen an incorrect ban fixed (could just go on in MiR I guess). I suppose that it could have changed since when I was banned once, long ago (on some total bullshit reason, that Beyonder agreed was an unnecessary ban on IRC, but wouldn't undo my ban). But if I had one complaint about moderation here, it would be the perceived infallibility mods seem to have, and the collusion between them. Certainly it makes sense that mods would agree with each other for the most part, and certainly in front of all the regular posters (you need that sort of continuity so people don't think the moderation at the site is shit, of course), but mods here seem pretty arrogant about their status sometimes.


I would say once or twice a week there is a ban that is either reversed or reduced in length. That isn't a lot, but it is consistently happening. Discussions take place in the mod section, and there is no "This user was unbanned" message. Perhaps it should be manually written in when their scarlet letter is erased.

Usually those bans aren't malicious mod bans. Mods are humans too, and sometimes they misread the context of a post. I warned someone for a lousy post which he intended as joke. He PMed to explain it to me and I erased it. Sometimes it is hard to tell.

On September 25 2010 05:08 cz wrote:This is how I always get in trouble. Some guy goes after me, mods ignore, I respond, mods temp ban me.


His post and your post were made 4 minutes apart. I am not yet hooked into TL via neural network, so I still actually have to browse the site and read with my eyes. -_-

On September 25 2010 04:52 cz wrote:
We are the site. This site is nothing without the users. TL would go under if nobody visited. TL is not doing you a favor by existing, you are doing the owner a favor by adding equity (as a pageview or as a part of the community) by being here. TL is a business, not a charity house: there's a reason why you aren't allowed to own part of its shares, even as a silent partner: those shares have monetary value.


Of course TL needs users but the rest of this is almost all rubbish. Users add pageviews and take bandwidth. It is a two way relationship. And guess what, mods are users of the site too. We just happen to be the ones that help keep the place clean. You cannot equate the TL entity to the mods. And yes, technically there are owners, but if TL is a business, where is my cheaque? What are these shares with monetary value you speak of? When TL starts charging people to be a member you may have a point, but not until then.


There are no shares because total ownership is in one person's hands or is in the hands of two or more people with an informal agreement. The bottom line, however, is that TL can both make money and has sell value. You don't get a check because the owner isn't willing to pay. It's the same thing with any website: pageviews and active membership create value that either is monetized or can be monetized through advertisement, direct sales, or so on. As a result the viewers add value to the site through their simple viewing of it (pageviews are a large factor in advertising rates) and through adding to the community which in turn attracts more.


Except that TL is mostly ad free (minus the google ones at the top). It's not exactly cheap to pay for bandwidth for a site. It has the potential to make money, but probably does not make money. And if it does, it makes very little. TL, according to the owners, is mostly about the love, though it'd be nice to make money on it... Naz or Meat posted all about this when the site's look was changed.

Ha, you're like the people from that SP episode with that line of thought. "I want your internet money."


If it never makes any profit in any way, then you are correct. Keep in mind that TL is (or was) one of the main feeders of LP, which does make a lot of money (Nazgul has made made $200-300+ from me via just a small percentage of my FTP rakeback alone, and that's just one user from LP).


Right, but LP is a separate entity, and I think they pay their "contributors" there anyway (contributors being writers and mods).


But TL generates traffic for LP (or did so significantly), and thus some of the LP profits has to be considered to be partially as belonging to TL.
Jyvblamo
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
Canada13788 Posts
September 24 2010 21:46 GMT
#229
Yes I do agree that TL is 'a little' too strict.
IMO, they should be A LOT too strict.
yoplate
Profile Joined August 2010
United States332 Posts
September 24 2010 21:47 GMT
#230
It was a bad post in that example. The OP was discussing Idras views on balance, and how zerg seem lacking, and he justs posts "Idra isnt god". He might not be, but he is a good player, and if you are going to disagree, you should post some more evidence.
7even.Rantech
Profile Joined July 2010
Chile39 Posts
September 24 2010 21:48 GMT
#231
TL has to be strict, it should be more strict imo.

Now with sc2 too many ignorant replys and topics are being made, as well as replys that cause paranoia on other ignorant visitors.

Ppl feel too free to post non-quality opinions, they should limit themselves to post just when they have a real point to make.

Quality vs Quantity.
Quepp42
Profile Joined May 2010
United States96 Posts
September 24 2010 21:51 GMT
#232
I love how the mods behave here. I'm sick of the idea that "everyone's opinion is valid" when it includes people who just say things like the person in the quote you cited. If your response to a logical argument is nonsense like that then I think you definitely deserve to be shut up.
All it takes to fly is to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
hifriend
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
China7935 Posts
September 24 2010 21:52 GMT
#233
Anyway what's there really to discuss here? It's their site and it's upon them to decide where and when to draw the line. If the mods did such a horrible job then most of us wouldn't even be here in the first place. You can't deem a ban unjust by just looking at a post either, as there may be other reasons behind banning in a lot of cases.

Besides, this far no one has even managed to present a case where someone was banned and it wasn't more or less his own fault.
micronesia
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States24803 Posts
September 24 2010 21:55 GMT
#234
I'm not sure why 'free speech' was brought up like 5 times since it's completely irrelevant. Fortunately it wasn't being brought up in the capacity of "tl limits our free speech" but still lol. If I go through your post history and remove everything you've ever said it has nothing to do with laws to protect citizens from their government.
ModeratorThere are animal crackers for people and there are people crackers for animals.
QuanticHawk
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States32159 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-24 21:57:08
September 24 2010 21:56 GMT
#235
On September 25 2010 06:45 cz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 25 2010 06:36 SweeTLemonS[TPR] wrote:
On September 25 2010 06:35 cz wrote:
On September 25 2010 06:32 SweeTLemonS[TPR] wrote:
On September 25 2010 06:24 cz wrote:
On September 25 2010 05:48 Manifesto7 wrote:
On September 25 2010 03:52 SweeTLemonS[TPR] wrote:
While I agree with most everything you say here, I've never seen an incorrect ban fixed (could just go on in MiR I guess). I suppose that it could have changed since when I was banned once, long ago (on some total bullshit reason, that Beyonder agreed was an unnecessary ban on IRC, but wouldn't undo my ban). But if I had one complaint about moderation here, it would be the perceived infallibility mods seem to have, and the collusion between them. Certainly it makes sense that mods would agree with each other for the most part, and certainly in front of all the regular posters (you need that sort of continuity so people don't think the moderation at the site is shit, of course), but mods here seem pretty arrogant about their status sometimes.


I would say once or twice a week there is a ban that is either reversed or reduced in length. That isn't a lot, but it is consistently happening. Discussions take place in the mod section, and there is no "This user was unbanned" message. Perhaps it should be manually written in when their scarlet letter is erased.

Usually those bans aren't malicious mod bans. Mods are humans too, and sometimes they misread the context of a post. I warned someone for a lousy post which he intended as joke. He PMed to explain it to me and I erased it. Sometimes it is hard to tell.

On September 25 2010 05:08 cz wrote:This is how I always get in trouble. Some guy goes after me, mods ignore, I respond, mods temp ban me.


His post and your post were made 4 minutes apart. I am not yet hooked into TL via neural network, so I still actually have to browse the site and read with my eyes. -_-

On September 25 2010 04:52 cz wrote:
We are the site. This site is nothing without the users. TL would go under if nobody visited. TL is not doing you a favor by existing, you are doing the owner a favor by adding equity (as a pageview or as a part of the community) by being here. TL is a business, not a charity house: there's a reason why you aren't allowed to own part of its shares, even as a silent partner: those shares have monetary value.


Of course TL needs users but the rest of this is almost all rubbish. Users add pageviews and take bandwidth. It is a two way relationship. And guess what, mods are users of the site too. We just happen to be the ones that help keep the place clean. You cannot equate the TL entity to the mods. And yes, technically there are owners, but if TL is a business, where is my cheaque? What are these shares with monetary value you speak of? When TL starts charging people to be a member you may have a point, but not until then.


There are no shares because total ownership is in one person's hands or is in the hands of two or more people with an informal agreement. The bottom line, however, is that TL can both make money and has sell value. You don't get a check because the owner isn't willing to pay. It's the same thing with any website: pageviews and active membership create value that either is monetized or can be monetized through advertisement, direct sales, or so on. As a result the viewers add value to the site through their simple viewing of it (pageviews are a large factor in advertising rates) and through adding to the community which in turn attracts more.


Except that TL is mostly ad free (minus the google ones at the top). It's not exactly cheap to pay for bandwidth for a site. It has the potential to make money, but probably does not make money. And if it does, it makes very little. TL, according to the owners, is mostly about the love, though it'd be nice to make money on it... Naz or Meat posted all about this when the site's look was changed.

Ha, you're like the people from that SP episode with that line of thought. "I want your internet money."


If it never makes any profit in any way, then you are correct. Keep in mind that TL is (or was) one of the main feeders of LP, which does make a lot of money (Nazgul has made made $200-300+ from me via just a small percentage of my FTP rakeback alone, and that's just one user from LP).


Right, but LP is a separate entity, and I think they pay their "contributors" there anyway (contributors being writers and mods).


But TL generates traffic for LP (or did so significantly), and thus some of the LP profits has to be considered to be partially as belonging to TL.


I guess I missed the point about what this has to do with anything being discussed?? Some obscure rant about how this site is nothing without the users?

Here's a little fact: Most of the users like the moderation here. It's what has kept the community viable for so long. People like you who whine about moderation apparently aren't bothered by it enough to go elsewhere. Membership is at all time high. Previously banned users come back time and time again.

All really compelling reasons to suddenly eschew strict moderation that keeps idiots out of a free forum.



PROFESSIONAL GAMER - SEND ME OFFERS TO JOIN YOUR TEAM - USA USA USA
Mastermind
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
Canada7096 Posts
September 24 2010 21:57 GMT
#236
The fact that I have never been banned and never even got a warning after 5k+ posts on TL shows that this site is definitely not too strict. There is many times when I think someone should be banned, or should be banned for longer, but they are not. The moderation is a little more lax than I would want it to be.
Sworn
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada920 Posts
September 24 2010 21:58 GMT
#237
I think they are to strict in certain circumstances but really it keep its clean mostly. I think if they chilled out and turned it down a notch then it would be better.
"Duty is heavy as a mountain, death is light as a feather." CJ Entus Fighting! <3 Effort
SweeTLemonS[TPR]
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
11739 Posts
September 24 2010 22:00 GMT
#238
On September 25 2010 06:45 cz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 25 2010 06:36 SweeTLemonS[TPR] wrote:
On September 25 2010 06:35 cz wrote:
On September 25 2010 06:32 SweeTLemonS[TPR] wrote:
On September 25 2010 06:24 cz wrote:
On September 25 2010 05:48 Manifesto7 wrote:
On September 25 2010 03:52 SweeTLemonS[TPR] wrote:
While I agree with most everything you say here, I've never seen an incorrect ban fixed (could just go on in MiR I guess). I suppose that it could have changed since when I was banned once, long ago (on some total bullshit reason, that Beyonder agreed was an unnecessary ban on IRC, but wouldn't undo my ban). But if I had one complaint about moderation here, it would be the perceived infallibility mods seem to have, and the collusion between them. Certainly it makes sense that mods would agree with each other for the most part, and certainly in front of all the regular posters (you need that sort of continuity so people don't think the moderation at the site is shit, of course), but mods here seem pretty arrogant about their status sometimes.


I would say once or twice a week there is a ban that is either reversed or reduced in length. That isn't a lot, but it is consistently happening. Discussions take place in the mod section, and there is no "This user was unbanned" message. Perhaps it should be manually written in when their scarlet letter is erased.

Usually those bans aren't malicious mod bans. Mods are humans too, and sometimes they misread the context of a post. I warned someone for a lousy post which he intended as joke. He PMed to explain it to me and I erased it. Sometimes it is hard to tell.

On September 25 2010 05:08 cz wrote:This is how I always get in trouble. Some guy goes after me, mods ignore, I respond, mods temp ban me.


His post and your post were made 4 minutes apart. I am not yet hooked into TL via neural network, so I still actually have to browse the site and read with my eyes. -_-

On September 25 2010 04:52 cz wrote:
We are the site. This site is nothing without the users. TL would go under if nobody visited. TL is not doing you a favor by existing, you are doing the owner a favor by adding equity (as a pageview or as a part of the community) by being here. TL is a business, not a charity house: there's a reason why you aren't allowed to own part of its shares, even as a silent partner: those shares have monetary value.


Of course TL needs users but the rest of this is almost all rubbish. Users add pageviews and take bandwidth. It is a two way relationship. And guess what, mods are users of the site too. We just happen to be the ones that help keep the place clean. You cannot equate the TL entity to the mods. And yes, technically there are owners, but if TL is a business, where is my cheaque? What are these shares with monetary value you speak of? When TL starts charging people to be a member you may have a point, but not until then.


There are no shares because total ownership is in one person's hands or is in the hands of two or more people with an informal agreement. The bottom line, however, is that TL can both make money and has sell value. You don't get a check because the owner isn't willing to pay. It's the same thing with any website: pageviews and active membership create value that either is monetized or can be monetized through advertisement, direct sales, or so on. As a result the viewers add value to the site through their simple viewing of it (pageviews are a large factor in advertising rates) and through adding to the community which in turn attracts more.


Except that TL is mostly ad free (minus the google ones at the top). It's not exactly cheap to pay for bandwidth for a site. It has the potential to make money, but probably does not make money. And if it does, it makes very little. TL, according to the owners, is mostly about the love, though it'd be nice to make money on it... Naz or Meat posted all about this when the site's look was changed.

Ha, you're like the people from that SP episode with that line of thought. "I want your internet money."


If it never makes any profit in any way, then you are correct. Keep in mind that TL is (or was) one of the main feeders of LP, which does make a lot of money (Nazgul has made made $200-300+ from me via just a small percentage of my FTP rakeback alone, and that's just one user from LP).


Right, but LP is a separate entity, and I think they pay their "contributors" there anyway (contributors being writers and mods).


But TL generates traffic for LP (or did so significantly), and thus some of the LP profits has to be considered to be partially as belonging to TL.


I guess you have a point, but there are a lot of variables to account for there.
I'm never gonna know you now \ But I'm gonna love you anyhow.
StormWeapon
Profile Joined July 2010
United States159 Posts
September 24 2010 22:02 GMT
#239
On September 25 2010 02:50 Mephit wrote:
I've lurked/posted in a lot of forums, and TL has the best moderators by far. They would rather have quality posting instead quantitative garbage. Even with an influx of new players they've handled it.

Thanks Mods.

This really deserves a +1.
I lurked here for a good 6 months before even making my account and only did so because of the quality usually here. I think I've seen a bit of decline, but even so it's far better here than almost every gaming forum I have known.
Tyrant Potato
meegrean
Profile Joined May 2008
Thailand7699 Posts
September 24 2010 22:02 GMT
#240
TL mods are generally more likely to be stricter on the newer members.
Brood War loyalist
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 25 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
CranKy Ducklings43
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 156
SpeCial 77
CosmosSc2 41
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 689
910 59
Bale 14
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm101
League of Legends
Doublelift2889
Other Games
summit1g8386
shahzam606
C9.Mang0305
JimRising 234
PiGStarcraft213
Maynarde117
Liquid`Ken10
Vindicta6
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick649
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream30
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 111
• musti20045 35
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP33
• davetesta13
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21589
Other Games
• imaqtpie714
• Shiphtur209
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
10h 25m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
11h 25m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d
Patches Events
1d 16h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.