• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:47
CEST 12:47
KST 19:47
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10523 users

TL a little too strict on speech? - Page 10

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 12 25 Next All
epicdoom
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States489 Posts
September 24 2010 20:30 GMT
#181
Sometimes it does feel like TL can be a little strict, but given their track record on the quality of the forums I can life with that. But I think that the OP's quote was banned because insulting or grieffing a high level player,vet,old member is always a big no no. We want more of these high level players to come and join in discussions but they will not if they get insulted/trolled for no reason
Nytefish
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United Kingdom4282 Posts
September 24 2010 20:40 GMT
#182
Not strict enough imo. tpyng leik dis shud get u band
No I'm never serious.
danl9rm
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States3111 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-24 20:42:09
September 24 2010 20:40 GMT
#183
On September 25 2010 02:44 myopia wrote:
TL's moderating is the finest on the internet.


edit: I've never been banned cuz I don't make crude posts and I'm not unnecessarily rude to others. Do that and you're fine. Don't, and maybe you get banned, maybe not? Risk it if you want.
"Science has so well established that the preborn baby in the womb is a living human being that most pro-choice activists have conceded the point. ..since the abortion proponents have lost the science argument, they are now advocating an existential one."
Headshot
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1656 Posts
September 24 2010 20:41 GMT
#184
No, other forums are too soft on bullshit posts. I love the way TL is moderated.
-
SweeTLemonS[TPR]
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
11739 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-24 20:49:42
September 24 2010 20:42 GMT
#185
On September 25 2010 05:08 cz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 25 2010 05:04 SpicyCrab wrote:
Edit: Cz, I guess I wasn't entirely clear here. Just so you understand what I was saying ->

I wasn't saying that they owed anybody any thing. I just don't think there's any reason to complain about overzealous moderation on a forum where overzealous moderation is one of the key positive points.

:/


Unless you think overzealous moderation is a problem, of course, like the OP.


Then gtfo. If you don't like the way the site is run, you can go somewhere else. This isn't a democracy, it's stated really clearly in the ten commandments of TL that it is not such a site. So you have two options, abide by the rules and enjoy the way things are run, or gtfo. Why should they change the site for the <10% of people who don't like the way it's run? Btw, those <10% of people, are almost always really shitty posters. Not surprisingly, either. It seems garbage posters would rather the rules accommodate their bad posting, rather than making their posts better.

And you wouldn't get banned if you post constructively. I haven't seen your previous bans, but my guess is that you don't exactly take an even-keel approach to them. You probably come back and flame the person. It's pretty rare that constructive posts, with proper tone get banned. You can have a constructive post, and be a douchebag and get banned. You can have a nice post that is unconstructive and get banned. But constructive and not douchy doesn't get banned often.

On September 25 2010 05:25 Carnac wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 25 2010 02:39 chimthegrim wrote:

This thread as an example:

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=155453


The first response was a guy that said this:

"Come on guys... Idra isnt god... he gonna qq like every other zerg player because they didnt receive buff..."

User was warned for this post

User was temp banned for this post.



So now the question I am raising here is "Is TL a little too strict on what can or can't be said on the forums?"

The example I provided is someone who in obvious disagreement and he has expressed that by saying "Idra isn't god." Yet, this is ban worthy? I'm wondering why it is so easy to get temp banned on TL.

Well, just a thought. Hopefully I don't get banned for this post.

Please don't go around martyring yourself, we usually ban people outright for comments like these, it's incredibly annoying.

No one is going to ban anyone for constructive criticism..., which should be in the feedback forum btw.

Show nested quote +
On September 25 2010 03:52 SweeTLemonS[TPR] wrote:
On September 25 2010 02:55 Hot_Bid wrote:
What is most frustrating is users stating "I hope I don't get banned for this" when they are simply posting feedback or criticism of our website. We aren't the Ministry of Truth and this isn't 1984. If you're reasonable and polite, nobody is going to ban you even if you completely disagree with how we do things. We've always prided ourselves on TL's ability to be open about criticism, admit when we're wrong, and correct mistaken bans.

What you're describing in the OP isn't a free speech issue. If we banned you for posting this thread, then yes that's a problem. But the guy you quoted is a really bad example because he's ignoring the thread to post his own opinion on Idra. His post just leads to people responding to him and an argument about "QQing" rather than discussing the actual topic. Thus, we feel a temp ban was the right action to take.


While I agree with most everything you say here, I've never seen an incorrect ban fixed (could just go on in MiR I guess). I suppose that it could have changed since when I was banned once, long ago (on some total bullshit reason, that Beyonder agreed was an unnecessary ban on IRC, but wouldn't undo my ban). But if I had one complaint about moderation here, it would be the perceived infallibility mods seem to have, and the collusion between them. Certainly it makes sense that mods would agree with each other for the most part, and certainly in front of all the regular posters (you need that sort of continuity so people don't think the moderation at the site is shit, of course), but mods here seem pretty arrogant about their status sometimes.

No, we certainly don't discuss what other moderators do in the public forums, but internal forum discussions about specific bans are common. It might not happen every day, that a ban is shortened or completely undone, but it happens. No mod is perfect, but I believe with plenty of other mods looking at each other's bans/warnings it works out very well.
Bey couldn't have unbanned you even if he wanted to, mods can't unban, only admins can.




I mistyped that, I meant couldn't. Because I remember the discussion being such. He said I'd have to talk to Naz or Meat at that time.
I'm never gonna know you now \ But I'm gonna love you anyhow.
cz
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
United States3249 Posts
September 24 2010 20:44 GMT
#186
On September 25 2010 05:42 SweeTLemonS[TPR] wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 25 2010 05:08 cz wrote:
On September 25 2010 05:04 SpicyCrab wrote:
Edit: Cz, I guess I wasn't entirely clear here. Just so you understand what I was saying ->

I wasn't saying that they owed anybody any thing. I just don't think there's any reason to complain about overzealous moderation on a forum where overzealous moderation is one of the key positive points.

:/


Unless you think overzealous moderation is a problem, of course, like the OP.


Then gtfo. If you don't like the way the site is run, you can go somewhere else. This isn't a democracy, it's stated really clearly in the ten commandments of TL that it is not such a site. So you have two options, abide by the rules and enjoy the way things are run, or gtfo. Why should they change the site for the <10% of people who don't like the way it's run? Btw, those <10% of people, are almost always really shitty posters.


Or start a discussion to see if perhaps it is a general issue that others feel is true too. The OP here has started a civil discussion which continued for 10 pages until your post.
shrinkmaster
Profile Joined May 2010
Germany947 Posts
September 24 2010 20:45 GMT
#187
I don't understand why people are complaining.
The mods and admins on TL.net are doing a great job and i feel that they could even be a little bit stricter, when it comes to one word replays, trolling or shitty posting (especially on the SC2 forums).

Tl.net is the only public forum i know that actually cares about quality before quantity. We don't need another battle.net forum.
Voltaire: The true triumph of reason is that it enables us to get along with those who do not possess it.
Manifesto7
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
Osaka27178 Posts
September 24 2010 20:48 GMT
#188
On September 25 2010 03:52 SweeTLemonS[TPR] wrote:
While I agree with most everything you say here, I've never seen an incorrect ban fixed (could just go on in MiR I guess). I suppose that it could have changed since when I was banned once, long ago (on some total bullshit reason, that Beyonder agreed was an unnecessary ban on IRC, but wouldn't undo my ban). But if I had one complaint about moderation here, it would be the perceived infallibility mods seem to have, and the collusion between them. Certainly it makes sense that mods would agree with each other for the most part, and certainly in front of all the regular posters (you need that sort of continuity so people don't think the moderation at the site is shit, of course), but mods here seem pretty arrogant about their status sometimes.


I would say once or twice a week there is a ban that is either reversed or reduced in length. That isn't a lot, but it is consistently happening. Discussions take place in the mod section, and there is no "This user was unbanned" message. Perhaps it should be manually written in when their scarlet letter is erased.

Usually those bans aren't malicious mod bans. Mods are humans too, and sometimes they misread the context of a post. I warned someone for a lousy post which he intended as joke. He PMed to explain it to me and I erased it. Sometimes it is hard to tell.

On September 25 2010 05:08 cz wrote:This is how I always get in trouble. Some guy goes after me, mods ignore, I respond, mods temp ban me.


His post and your post were made 4 minutes apart. I am not yet hooked into TL via neural network, so I still actually have to browse the site and read with my eyes. -_-

On September 25 2010 04:52 cz wrote:
We are the site. This site is nothing without the users. TL would go under if nobody visited. TL is not doing you a favor by existing, you are doing the owner a favor by adding equity (as a pageview or as a part of the community) by being here. TL is a business, not a charity house: there's a reason why you aren't allowed to own part of its shares, even as a silent partner: those shares have monetary value.


Of course TL needs users but the rest of this is almost all rubbish. Users add pageviews and take bandwidth. It is a two way relationship. And guess what, mods are users of the site too. We just happen to be the ones that help keep the place clean. You cannot equate the TL entity to the mods. And yes, technically there are owners, but if TL is a business, where is my cheaque? What are these shares with monetary value you speak of? When TL starts charging people to be a member you may have a point, but not until then.
ModeratorGodfather
Kenpachi
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States9908 Posts
September 24 2010 20:48 GMT
#189
On September 25 2010 05:40 Nytefish wrote:
Not strict enough imo. tpyng leik dis shud get u band

you get bashed like no other.
Nada's body is South Korea's greatest weapon.
THE_DOMINATOR
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States309 Posts
September 24 2010 20:51 GMT
#190
there is a thread like this about once a month I'd say... TL is strict but you can't change that only the mods can.
DOMINATION
QuanticHawk
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States32159 Posts
September 24 2010 20:51 GMT
#191
On September 25 2010 05:44 cz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 25 2010 05:42 SweeTLemonS[TPR] wrote:
On September 25 2010 05:08 cz wrote:
On September 25 2010 05:04 SpicyCrab wrote:
Edit: Cz, I guess I wasn't entirely clear here. Just so you understand what I was saying ->

I wasn't saying that they owed anybody any thing. I just don't think there's any reason to complain about overzealous moderation on a forum where overzealous moderation is one of the key positive points.

:/


Unless you think overzealous moderation is a problem, of course, like the OP.


Then gtfo. If you don't like the way the site is run, you can go somewhere else. This isn't a democracy, it's stated really clearly in the ten commandments of TL that it is not such a site. So you have two options, abide by the rules and enjoy the way things are run, or gtfo. Why should they change the site for the <10% of people who don't like the way it's run? Btw, those <10% of people, are almost always really shitty posters.


Or start a discussion to see if perhaps it is a general issue that others feel is true too. The OP here has started a civil discussion which continued for 10 pages until your post.


Do you have any idea how many times this discussion has come up at this site over the last.... five years or so??? I mean, if you don't think the ban that spurred this entire, pointless thread was entirely warranted, I don't even know what to say.

Do you enjoy reading youtube comments too?? Because I don't. And that's what shit like that is like.
PROFESSIONAL GAMER - SEND ME OFFERS TO JOIN YOUR TEAM - USA USA USA
Glasse
Profile Joined July 2010
Canada1237 Posts
September 24 2010 20:51 GMT
#192
On September 25 2010 02:39 chimthegrim wrote:

Well, just a thought. Hopefully I don't get banned for this post.




If you honestly can't see why he was banned maybe you should be.
Alou
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States3748 Posts
September 24 2010 20:52 GMT
#193
I wish a lot more people were banned from this site to be honest. I think the mods go very easy on people. If anyone's ever been on a uStream channel I moderate, you understand how I like to keep the channel clean.

The mods do a great job overall though. Never had an issue with any of them. They don't get the credit they deserve.
Life is Good.
aidnai
Profile Joined January 2010
United States1159 Posts
September 24 2010 20:53 GMT
#194
OP should add a poll. I think most people that love TL love it because of the moderation, not in spite of it.

The example you posted is a gray area. If the poster had a history of positive contribution to the community/site, if it hadn't been the first post, if he had framed his thoughts more coherently, and if the issue wasn't a sore spot for the community (zerg balance), he probably wouldn't have gotten banned. However...
SweeTLemonS[TPR]
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
11739 Posts
September 24 2010 20:56 GMT
#195
On September 25 2010 05:44 cz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 25 2010 05:42 SweeTLemonS[TPR] wrote:
On September 25 2010 05:08 cz wrote:
On September 25 2010 05:04 SpicyCrab wrote:
Edit: Cz, I guess I wasn't entirely clear here. Just so you understand what I was saying ->

I wasn't saying that they owed anybody any thing. I just don't think there's any reason to complain about overzealous moderation on a forum where overzealous moderation is one of the key positive points.

:/


Unless you think overzealous moderation is a problem, of course, like the OP.


Then gtfo. If you don't like the way the site is run, you can go somewhere else. This isn't a democracy, it's stated really clearly in the ten commandments of TL that it is not such a site. So you have two options, abide by the rules and enjoy the way things are run, or gtfo. Why should they change the site for the <10% of people who don't like the way it's run? Btw, those <10% of people, are almost always really shitty posters.


Or start a discussion to see if perhaps it is a general issue that others feel is true too. The OP here has started a civil discussion which continued for 10 pages until your post.


I have to stop posting then editing so much. I do it too often, and people miss like half my message. But, that's not really uncivil, what I said. It's just matter of fact. Sometimes facts aren't nice, but that's how it is here. If people don't like it, they're free to leave. Having a discussion about it is fine, but people whining about it being too strict, and it needs to be less strict, and "unless it's all spam, there's no need for mods." That's how you get to be like blizz's BW forums were, or how gosugamers is, or most other sites on the internet.

Someone here put it perfectly before when addressing the recent spikes in bans. A couple years ago, this was a very close-knit community. Pretty much everyone knew everyone here. Now, there are so many users, it's losing that feel, but that's why this site has been so loved for so long. So the bannishments are an attempt to keep that same aura around the site, while not losing public appeal. It's a fine line to tow, though.
I'm never gonna know you now \ But I'm gonna love you anyhow.
Crushgroove
Profile Joined July 2010
United States793 Posts
September 24 2010 21:00 GMT
#196
TL's modding is without equal on the internet.

The guy didn't get banned for saying IdrA isn't God, he got banned because he posted without contributing at all to the discussion and did so with negativity. Its the kind of thing that starts fights and derails topics. If you don't have something to contribute, then you have to at least be nice or else you risk starting fights and derailing topics.

Its an excellent policy. Keep it up mods.
[In Korea on Vaca] "Why would I go to the park and climb a mountain? There are video games on f*cking TV!" - Kazuke
udgnim
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8024 Posts
September 24 2010 21:00 GMT
#197
want to add that the Ban List thread makes for some humorous reading sometimes

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=32696&currentpage=382
E-Sports is competitive video gaming with a spectator fan base. Do not take the word "Sports" literally.
synapse
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
China13814 Posts
September 24 2010 21:02 GMT
#198
There are definitely situations where TL moderation is too strict IMO, but the situation you (OP) cited is not one of those cases.
:)
newvsoldschool
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
428 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-24 21:04:52
September 24 2010 21:04 GMT
#199
Didn't read the whole thread, but this is exactly why I like TL. The quality control is very omnipresent. I can really feel like trolling is a no-no here, unlike most forums nowadays.
"I was so surprised when I first played StarCraft 2. I couldn't believe that such an easy game exists... I guess the best way to attract people these days is to make things easy and simple." -Midas, Brood War Progamer
Drowsy
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
United States4876 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-24 21:19:45
September 24 2010 21:10 GMT
#200
I like it. Probably should do less banning for profanity/insults/"rudeness", but I like their intolerance of trolling/stupidity/meaningless content posts.
Our Protoss, Who art in Aiur HongUn be Thy name; Thy stalker come, Thy will be blunk, on ladder as it is in Micro Tourny. Give us this win in our daily ladder, and forgive us our cheeses, As we forgive those who play zerg against us.
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 12 25 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Afreeca Starleague
19:00
Ro4 Match 2
Soma vs Soulkey
Afreeca ASL 11988
StarCastTV_EN343
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko136
ProTech130
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 13759
Bisu 3900
Jaedong 3351
EffOrt 1173
ZerO 426
Horang2 378
Pusan 278
BeSt 269
Zeus 247
Larva 243
[ Show more ]
actioN 193
Hyun 144
Mind 137
Barracks 97
ggaemo 82
Bale 45
Killer 43
Yoon 43
Sharp 43
scan(afreeca) 42
NotJumperer 32
ToSsGirL 30
Shinee 24
Sacsri 22
Hm[arnc] 21
Terrorterran 15
Noble 10
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
League of Legends
JimRising 398
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1205
byalli457
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King85
Other Games
ceh9653
crisheroes235
Sick178
Pyrionflax160
dupreeh98
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 189
StarCraft 2
IntoTheiNu 85
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream45
StarCraft 2
WardiTV9
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 55
• killerbeecast8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV363
• lizZardDota2293
League of Legends
• Jankos1155
Upcoming Events
INu's Battles
13m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
13h 13m
Patches Events
1d 5h
The PondCast
1d 23h
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.