• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:40
CEST 18:40
KST 01:40
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8394 users

The Big Programming Thread - Page 743

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 741 742 743 744 745 1032 Next
Thread Rules
1. This is not a "do my homework for me" thread. If you have specific questions, ask, but don't post an assignment or homework problem and expect an exact solution.
2. No recruiting for your cockamamie projects (you won't replace facebook with 3 dudes you found on the internet and $20)
3. If you can't articulate why a language is bad, don't start slinging shit about it. Just remember that nothing is worse than making CSS IE6 compatible.
4. Use [code] tags to format code blocks.
Nesserev
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Belgium2760 Posts
July 20 2016 08:47 GMT
#14841
--- Nuked ---
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17845 Posts
July 20 2016 08:57 GMT
#14842
Browser JS can be fine if you're just doing some small work with it. As soon as you start using more than 200 lines of it then it becomes a shitfest.

Also, why would anyone use Java when you can use Scala which is like 10x better and gives you access to all of Java?
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
RoomOfMush
Profile Joined March 2015
1296 Posts
July 20 2016 11:36 GMT
#14843
On July 20 2016 15:29 Manit0u wrote:
I've learned something funny today: Java and JavaScript, the two languages that have probably the most job offerings in the world are the two languages I hate working with the most...

No matter how hard I try to convince myself to just let go and dive into them I can't help but be repelled by them

I must say I find it quite odd since I don't really mind working with any other language I know (and that includes PHP) but J and JS somehow elicit a strongly aversive reaction in me.

I just hope I'm not alone in this one

I like java. Its not perfect, there are plenty of things I would love to see changed (and I know its never going to happen) but overall its a solid language with many advantages. I much prefer it over C#, C++ and C. I like Javas simplicity and openess.


On July 20 2016 15:36 TheEmulator wrote:
Never worked with Java but I hate JS so much. From what I've seen I'd hate Java too

They have absolutely nothing in common. JS is just called that to cash in on the success of java but its a completely different language.
Djagulingu
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Germany3605 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-07-20 12:19:07
July 20 2016 12:18 GMT
#14844
On July 20 2016 17:57 Manit0u wrote:
Browser JS can be fine if you're just doing some small work with it. As soon as you start using more than 200 lines of it then it becomes a shitfest.

Also, why would anyone use Java when you can use Scala which is like 10x better and gives you access to all of Java?

Scala is a wonderful little thing and I should learn it asap.

EDIT: 10x better? Even preproduction Kotlin is 10x better, Scala is much better than 10x.
"windows bash is a steaming heap of shit" tofucake
tofucake
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Hyrule19259 Posts
July 20 2016 12:38 GMT
#14845
ES6 is a huge step in the right direction for JS, even if it's still bleh

But I enjoy using it wayyyyy more than Java. Java is dumb like wordpress
Liquipediaasante sana squash banana
shz
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Germany2687 Posts
July 20 2016 14:18 GMT
#14846
Did you guys try Kotlin yet? I'm still a Java / everything noob but it seems to be more fun doing Android with it.
Liquipedia
-Zoda-
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
France3578 Posts
July 20 2016 14:21 GMT
#14847
On July 18 2016 10:09 ShoCkeyy wrote:

Ehh, the problem with Mithril, it still seems to be filled with a bit more issues, but you can definitely look into it Manit0u.

Oh yeah ? Can you elaborate ?
In a similar sort of lightweight framework, Mercury seems interesting as well, but its documentation seems to be lacking compared to Mithril. Once I have time and a project idea I'll have to try one of these.

On the topic of Java huh, I can 't say I hate it but it's not very enjoyable imo. Way too verbose and rigid imo.
♪ 最初はi つなぐdo それ つまりlife 常に移動 ♪ - IGN: Uhryks
RoomOfMush
Profile Joined March 2015
1296 Posts
July 20 2016 15:09 GMT
#14848
On July 20 2016 23:21 -Zoda- wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 18 2016 10:09 ShoCkeyy wrote:

Ehh, the problem with Mithril, it still seems to be filled with a bit more issues, but you can definitely look into it Manit0u.

On the topic of Java huh, I can 't say I hate it but it's not very enjoyable imo. Way too verbose and rigid imo.

Then better dont try C#. If you think java is verbose you are not going to have a good time with C# at all.
Fwmeh
Profile Joined April 2008
1286 Posts
July 20 2016 16:10 GMT
#14849
On July 21 2016 00:09 RoomOfMush wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 20 2016 23:21 -Zoda- wrote:
On July 18 2016 10:09 ShoCkeyy wrote:

Ehh, the problem with Mithril, it still seems to be filled with a bit more issues, but you can definitely look into it Manit0u.

On the topic of Java huh, I can 't say I hate it but it's not very enjoyable imo. Way too verbose and rigid imo.

Then better dont try C#. If you think java is verbose you are not going to have a good time with C# at all.


Not my experience at all. Do you have any concrete examples?
A parser for things is a function from strings to lists of pairs of things and strings
TheEmulator
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
28103 Posts
July 20 2016 18:05 GMT
#14850
On July 20 2016 20:36 RoomOfMush wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 20 2016 15:29 Manit0u wrote:
I've learned something funny today: Java and JavaScript, the two languages that have probably the most job offerings in the world are the two languages I hate working with the most...

No matter how hard I try to convince myself to just let go and dive into them I can't help but be repelled by them

I must say I find it quite odd since I don't really mind working with any other language I know (and that includes PHP) but J and JS somehow elicit a strongly aversive reaction in me.

I just hope I'm not alone in this one

I like java. Its not perfect, there are plenty of things I would love to see changed (and I know its never going to happen) but overall its a solid language with many advantages. I much prefer it over C#, C++ and C. I like Javas simplicity and openess.


Show nested quote +
On July 20 2016 15:36 TheEmulator wrote:
Never worked with Java but I hate JS so much. From what I've seen I'd hate Java too

They have absolutely nothing in common. JS is just called that to cash in on the success of java but its a completely different language.

hmm, what part of my post implied that I think they have something in common? I
Administrator
Nyxisto
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany6287 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-07-20 19:02:10
July 20 2016 18:58 GMT
#14851
C# is great as a language imo but I'm not enjoying the windows eco system so It'd be great if there's full Linux support at some point, it's gotten a lot better though. As someone above pointed out Java is just horribly verbose. I had to do a lot of Java in college and had to either use Apache Commons or just copy the same things over and over again because I always forgot how the syntax for a BufferedReader works. It takes a bazillion lines of code to read in a textfile : (
RoomOfMush
Profile Joined March 2015
1296 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-07-20 19:31:32
July 20 2016 19:29 GMT
#14852
On July 21 2016 01:10 Fwmeh wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 21 2016 00:09 RoomOfMush wrote:
On July 20 2016 23:21 -Zoda- wrote:
On July 18 2016 10:09 ShoCkeyy wrote:

Ehh, the problem with Mithril, it still seems to be filled with a bit more issues, but you can definitely look into it Manit0u.

On the topic of Java huh, I can 't say I hate it but it's not very enjoyable imo. Way too verbose and rigid imo.

Then better dont try C#. If you think java is verbose you are not going to have a good time with C# at all.


Not my experience at all. Do you have any concrete examples?

I am talking about all the additional syntax. A for-each loop in java:
for (Object obj : collection) {/*doStuff*/}

The same in C#
foreach (Object obj in collection) {/*doStuff*/}

Its a minor thing, but why is it there in the first place?

Or the fact you need to write "override" in front of a method that overrides another. I can see how this might help some people understand the code better, but we've got IDE's for that without having to write anything. Besides, you can do the same thing in java with the optional @Overrides annotation if you want to have compile-time warnings.

Its many similar little things like that. C# just seems to have way more syntax keywords which you need to use at certain points for no obvious reason.

On July 21 2016 03:05 TheEmulator wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 20 2016 20:36 RoomOfMush wrote:
On July 20 2016 15:29 Manit0u wrote:
I've learned something funny today: Java and JavaScript, the two languages that have probably the most job offerings in the world are the two languages I hate working with the most...

No matter how hard I try to convince myself to just let go and dive into them I can't help but be repelled by them

I must say I find it quite odd since I don't really mind working with any other language I know (and that includes PHP) but J and JS somehow elicit a strongly aversive reaction in me.

I just hope I'm not alone in this one

I like java. Its not perfect, there are plenty of things I would love to see changed (and I know its never going to happen) but overall its a solid language with many advantages. I much prefer it over C#, C++ and C. I like Javas simplicity and openess.


On July 20 2016 15:36 TheEmulator wrote:
Never worked with Java but I hate JS so much. From what I've seen I'd hate Java too

They have absolutely nothing in common. JS is just called that to cash in on the success of java but its a completely different language.

hmm, what part of my post implied that I think they have something in common? I

It seemed to me that way but I guess I misunderstood you.


On July 21 2016 03:58 Nyxisto wrote:
C# is great as a language imo but I'm not enjoying the windows eco system so It'd be great if there's full Linux support at some point, it's gotten a lot better though. As someone above pointed out Java is just horribly verbose. I had to do a lot of Java in college and had to either use Apache Commons or just copy the same things over and over again because I always forgot how the syntax for a BufferedReader works. It takes a bazillion lines of code to read in a textfile : (

Its actually quite simple:
		try {
Path filePath = new File("test.txt").toPath();
List<String> linesOfText = Files.readAllLines(filePath);
} catch (IOException e) {
e.printStackTrace();
}
Prillan
Profile Joined August 2011
Sweden350 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-07-20 21:30:12
July 20 2016 21:29 GMT
#14853
On July 21 2016 04:29 RoomOfMush wrote:
I am talking about all the additional syntax. A for-each loop in java:
for (Object obj : collection) {/*doStuff*/}

The same in C#
foreach (Object obj in collection) {/*doStuff*/}

Its a minor thing, but why is it there in the first place?


It really is a minor thing.

On July 21 2016 04:29 RoomOfMush wrote:
Or the fact you need to write "override" in front of a method that overrides another. I can see how this might help some people understand the code better, but we've got IDE's for that without having to write anything. Besides, you can do the same thing in java with the optional @Overrides annotation if you want to have compile-time warnings.


It's not just there to tell the dev that the function is overridden. Without it the method just hides the old one, which is different from overriding it.

(This was true last time I wrote C#, which was version 3.0 I believe, they had just introduced lambda expressions.)
TheBB's sidekick, aligulac.com | "Reality is frequently inaccurate." - Douglas Adams
phar
Profile Joined August 2011
United States1080 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-07-21 07:08:52
July 21 2016 07:07 GMT
#14854
Not having an @Overrides makes it much more difficult to tell what's going on under the hood, if you're trying to read code. Hidden magic will burn you.

Proper java should have lint set up to require @Overrides


If you're writing any significant amount of Java you should also be using good libraries, e.g. Guava. Save yourself a lot of headache.
Who after all is today speaking about the destruction of the Armenians?
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17845 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-07-21 07:18:07
July 21 2016 07:16 GMT
#14855
On July 21 2016 04:29 RoomOfMush wrote:
I am talking about all the additional syntax. A for-each loop in java:
for (Object obj : collection) {/*doStuff*/}

The same in C#
foreach (Object obj in collection) {/*doStuff*/}

Its a minor thing, but why is it there in the first place?


The same in Scala:

// foreach
collection.foreach { /*doStuff*/ }

// for
for (obj <- collection) { /*doStuff*/ }


Syntax is syntax. Java's verbosity comes not from syntax but from incrediblyLongAndUnnecessarilySoClassAndMethodNames.

Also, XML (yuck!).
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
Deleted User 101379
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
4849 Posts
July 21 2016 07:50 GMT
#14856
On July 21 2016 16:16 Manit0u wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 21 2016 04:29 RoomOfMush wrote:
I am talking about all the additional syntax. A for-each loop in java:
for (Object obj : collection) {/*doStuff*/}

The same in C#
foreach (Object obj in collection) {/*doStuff*/}

Its a minor thing, but why is it there in the first place?


The same in Scala:

// foreach
collection.foreach { /*doStuff*/ }

// for
for (obj <- collection) { /*doStuff*/ }


Syntax is syntax. Java's verbosity comes not from syntax but from incrediblyLongAndUnnecessarilySoClassAndMethodNames.

Also, XML (yuck!).


The same in actually modern C#
list.ForEach(item => item.DoStuff());

Djagulingu
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Germany3605 Posts
July 21 2016 13:38 GMT
#14857
On July 21 2016 16:50 Morfildur wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 21 2016 16:16 Manit0u wrote:
On July 21 2016 04:29 RoomOfMush wrote:
I am talking about all the additional syntax. A for-each loop in java:
for (Object obj : collection) {/*doStuff*/}

The same in C#
foreach (Object obj in collection) {/*doStuff*/}

Its a minor thing, but why is it there in the first place?


The same in Scala:

// foreach
collection.foreach { /*doStuff*/ }

// for
for (obj <- collection) { /*doStuff*/ }


Syntax is syntax. Java's verbosity comes not from syntax but from incrediblyLongAndUnnecessarilySoClassAndMethodNames.

Also, XML (yuck!).


The same in actually modern C#
list.ForEach(item => item.DoStuff());


The same in actually modern Java:
list.forEach(item -> item.doStuff());


"windows bash is a steaming heap of shit" tofucake
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17845 Posts
July 21 2016 15:00 GMT
#14858
This thread is the best on TL
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
Shield
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Bulgaria4824 Posts
July 21 2016 16:56 GMT
#14859
On July 21 2016 16:16 Manit0u wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 21 2016 04:29 RoomOfMush wrote:
I am talking about all the additional syntax. A for-each loop in java:
for (Object obj : collection) {/*doStuff*/}

The same in C#
foreach (Object obj in collection) {/*doStuff*/}

Its a minor thing, but why is it there in the first place?


The same in Scala:

// foreach
collection.foreach { /*doStuff*/ }

// for
for (obj <- collection) { /*doStuff*/ }


Syntax is syntax. Java's verbosity comes not from syntax but from incrediblyLongAndUnnecessarilySoClassAndMethodNames.

Also, XML (yuck!).


Verbosity is good as long as it's not abused. You should really read Clean Code before you go further with this discussion.
Doodsmack
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7224 Posts
July 21 2016 17:36 GMT
#14860
Are Microsoft SQL Server skills (including T-SQL obv) valuable and future-secure?
Prev 1 741 742 743 744 745 1032 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
FEL
01:00
ScienceCraft Qualifier
IndyStarCraft 136
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 558
IndyStarCraft 136
BRAT_OK 45
MindelVK 16
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 26622
Bisu 1336
Shuttle 1247
Hyuk 773
Mini 479
firebathero 197
Sexy 63
hero 62
Mong 48
Hyun 43
[ Show more ]
Killer 42
Trap 39
Pusan 37
PianO 37
Liquid`Ret 26
ToSsGirL 26
zelot 18
Rock 15
Sacsri 11
Bale 10
ggaemo 10
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Noble 6
Dota 2
Gorgc9139
qojqva1699
Dendi951
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1561
crisheroes1234
Liquid`Hasu689
Other Games
singsing1876
fl0m1670
FrodaN1660
Beastyqt671
Mlord451
Hui .246
Liquid`VortiX173
Livibee155
ArmadaUGS145
KnowMe141
Mew2King60
Trikslyr35
CosmosSc2 18
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream37
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 48
• mYiSmile126
• Adnapsc2 14
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki18
• Michael_bg 11
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 8302
Other Games
• Shiphtur282
• WagamamaTV201
Upcoming Events
AI Arena Tournament
20m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2h 20m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
17h 20m
INu's Battles
19h 20m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
22h 20m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 2h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 2h
Replay Cast
1d 7h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 17h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 18h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 23h
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.