• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:16
CEST 02:16
KST 09:16
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BW General Discussion BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8434 users

The Big Programming Thread - Page 745

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 743 744 745 746 747 1032 Next
Thread Rules
1. This is not a "do my homework for me" thread. If you have specific questions, ask, but don't post an assignment or homework problem and expect an exact solution.
2. No recruiting for your cockamamie projects (you won't replace facebook with 3 dudes you found on the internet and $20)
3. If you can't articulate why a language is bad, don't start slinging shit about it. Just remember that nothing is worse than making CSS IE6 compatible.
4. Use [code] tags to format code blocks.
Mr. Wiggles
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada5894 Posts
July 22 2016 13:33 GMT
#14881
I've been playing around with Rust recently, and I really like how it deals with mutability. By default, everything is immutable, and must be explicitly marked mutable in order to be changed. If you try to do anything that would mutate an immutable variable as a side effect, your program won't compile.
you gotta dance
enigmaticcam
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States280 Posts
July 22 2016 16:14 GMT
#14882
On July 22 2016 08:16 tofucake wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 22 2016 02:36 Doodsmack wrote:
Are Microsoft SQL Server skills (including T-SQL obv) valuable and future-secure?

no

Good to know, and there will always be MSSQL jobs, but Linux servers are like 98% of the internet

That depends on how you use SQL server. Your typical DBA manages a SQL server mostly at an infrastructure level, which would all be proprietary to Microsoft. But at an application level, learning to collate data and understand how to talk to a database is absolutely relevant regardless of the language or implementation.

Also not all databases support internet based applications. There are a lot of internal applications in the corporate world that require a database layer, and SQL Server thrives there.
netherh
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United Kingdom333 Posts
July 22 2016 16:51 GMT
#14883
On July 22 2016 22:14 Blitzkrieg0 wrote:
Final and const are not equivalent at all. Setting a parameter to const says that the function will not change that value. Java's final makes it immutable so it can never be changed. For instance, I could have the following functions:

void printValue(const int value)
int addValue(int value)

Consider the situation where I pass value to printValue, addValue, and then printValue again. I can pass my int to each of these functions and const just guarantees that the value won't be changed.

If I made a final int in Java like you suggest then I wouldn't be able to call addValue. Const provides a completely different meaning.


uhh... what?

Both those functions just copy the value.

I have no idea about java, but what I read on wikipedia implies final is exactly like const for variables, except that it doesn't carry to member variables of a const member variable in a class, apparently.

Also, passing arguments by value and as const in C++ is generally a bad idea. At best it pollutes your interface, and at worst it's all just a big lie.
Shield
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Bulgaria4824 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-07-22 17:50:44
July 22 2016 17:50 GMT
#14884
Has anyone used cross-compiling for Java before?

Compiler: Java 1.8
Client: Java 1.7

How do you compile it for Java 1.7? The following doesn't seem to work:

javac -target 1.7 -source 1.7

Does it need rt.jar as well? Which rt.jar though? The one for 1.7 or is the one for 1.8 fine?
spinesheath
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Germany8679 Posts
July 22 2016 18:52 GMT
#14885
On July 23 2016 01:51 netherh wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 22 2016 22:14 Blitzkrieg0 wrote:
Final and const are not equivalent at all. Setting a parameter to const says that the function will not change that value. Java's final makes it immutable so it can never be changed. For instance, I could have the following functions:

void printValue(const int value)
int addValue(int value)

Consider the situation where I pass value to printValue, addValue, and then printValue again. I can pass my int to each of these functions and const just guarantees that the value won't be changed.

If I made a final int in Java like you suggest then I wouldn't be able to call addValue. Const provides a completely different meaning.


uhh... what?

Both those functions just copy the value.

I have no idea about java, but what I read on wikipedia implies final is exactly like const for variables, except that it doesn't carry to member variables of a const member variable in a class, apparently.

Also, passing arguments by value and as const in C++ is generally a bad idea. At best it pollutes your interface, and at worst it's all just a big lie.

Well yeah, it doesn't seem like a lot of thought went into those examples. Final and const still are not equivalent. This becomes apparent when it is used for a pointer to a const instance - meaning that I can only use that pointer to access members of the instance that have been marked as const.
Final methods in Java can't be overridden, const methods in C++ guarantee that they don't alter their instance. For example like a well-behaved getter, but a setter would never be const. And while a getter doesn't change stuff by convention in Java, it is enforced by the compiler in C++.

Therefore, if I pass my pointer to someone else as a pointer to const, I can be certain that the other code won't change anything about the instance, at all. Save for shenanigans like const_cast or C style casts of course, but you probably should have bad things happen to you if you do that.

I really miss const in C#. And templates. It's always sad when you have to resort to using reflection to prevent code duplication.
If you have a good reason to disagree with the above, please tell me. Thank you.
Blitzkrieg0
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States13132 Posts
July 22 2016 18:54 GMT
#14886
I will admit to bad examples.
I'll always be your shadow and veil your eyes from states of ain soph aur.
mikedebo
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada4341 Posts
July 24 2016 12:34 GMT
#14887
Hey folks,

I spent the better part of the last couple years editing "500 Lines or Less", which is basically a bunch of domain-expert programmers writing short example programs in their domain and explaining the what and why of their decisions. It's free if you want to take a look at it here (scan down to "500 Lines"), and all profits on the paid versions go to Amnesty.

I didn't realize this thread existed on TL, but I just noticed now and figured maybe some folks here would find it interesting
I NEED A PHOTOSYNTHESIS! ||| 'airtoss' is an anagram of 'artosis' ||| SANGHOOOOOO ||| "No Korea? No problem. I have internet." -- Stardust
Nesserev
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Belgium2760 Posts
July 25 2016 00:00 GMT
#14888
--- Nuked ---
Deleted User 101379
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
4849 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-07-26 07:00:38
July 26 2016 06:39 GMT
#14889
I've just accepted a new job for developing a brand new Hybris shop in Java.
It's been a while since I developed in Java, though I was fluid in it 10 years or so ago.

Does someone have experience with Hybris and can tell me how working with it is in general?
I'll get trained in it of course, but I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into.
Also, what's the usual Java IDE? Still the awful Eclipse?

I feel a bit bad for leaving my current job, since I'm essentially 50% of the programming power and the company already has big trouble getting any programmers at all, so now they're in deep trouble, but in the end the offer was too good to reject.
zatic
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Zurich15366 Posts
July 26 2016 07:50 GMT
#14890
On July 26 2016 15:39 Morfildur wrote:
I've just accepted a new job for developing a brand new Hybris shop in Java.
It's been a while since I developed in Java, though I was fluid in it 10 years or so ago.

Does someone have experience with Hybris and can tell me how working with it is in general?
I'll get trained in it of course, but I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into.
Also, what's the usual Java IDE? Still the awful Eclipse?

I feel a bit bad for leaving my current job, since I'm essentially 50% of the programming power and the company already has big trouble getting any programmers at all, so now they're in deep trouble, but in the end the offer was too good to reject.

Why don't you come work for my company We need hybris people so bad. Gogo Berlin!

Never feel bad about leaving a company. That same company will fire you without hesitation should they not need you anymore. It's just business.
ModeratorI know Teamliquid is known as a massive building
Deleted User 101379
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
4849 Posts
July 26 2016 08:04 GMT
#14891
On July 26 2016 16:50 zatic wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 26 2016 15:39 Morfildur wrote:
I've just accepted a new job for developing a brand new Hybris shop in Java.
It's been a while since I developed in Java, though I was fluid in it 10 years or so ago.

Does someone have experience with Hybris and can tell me how working with it is in general?
I'll get trained in it of course, but I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into.
Also, what's the usual Java IDE? Still the awful Eclipse?

I feel a bit bad for leaving my current job, since I'm essentially 50% of the programming power and the company already has big trouble getting any programmers at all, so now they're in deep trouble, but in the end the offer was too good to reject.

Why don't you come work for my company We need hybris people so bad. Gogo Berlin!

Never feel bad about leaving a company. That same company will fire you without hesitation should they not need you anymore. It's just business.


Well, I'm not a Hybris person yet

However, I'm supposed to build up my own team from scratch for the development of the shop with full control over who I want to have, which means I will have to find Hybris programmers myself. Do you want to move to Flensburg? It's much prettier than Berlin and a beach is just on the other side of the town - just the weather is rarely good enough to actually enjoy it
We might even be able to compete with the Berlin wages, considering how terrible those are

My current company is very... well, social, and I have high standings with the management. It will be very different moving from a 30-people company where everyone respects my opinion to one that has several hundred employees just at the HQ.
zatic
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Zurich15366 Posts
July 26 2016 09:44 GMT
#14892
Nah I am not really serious

I don't even have any touch points with hybris personally but I know that the company is struggling to find people. But hey, being able to build your own team sounds great so congrats!

Also, I am from Freiburg, so Flenburg is basically the North Pole to me.

ModeratorI know Teamliquid is known as a massive building
Khalum
Profile Joined September 2010
Austria831 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-07-26 09:47:02
July 26 2016 09:45 GMT
#14893
On July 26 2016 16:50 zatic wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 26 2016 15:39 Morfildur wrote:
I've just accepted a new job for developing a brand new Hybris shop in Java.
It's been a while since I developed in Java, though I was fluid in it 10 years or so ago.

Does someone have experience with Hybris and can tell me how working with it is in general?
I'll get trained in it of course, but I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into.
Also, what's the usual Java IDE? Still the awful Eclipse?

I feel a bit bad for leaving my current job, since I'm essentially 50% of the programming power and the company already has big trouble getting any programmers at all, so now they're in deep trouble, but in the end the offer was too good to reject.

Why don't you come work for my company We need hybris people so bad. Gogo Berlin!

Never feel bad about leaving a company. That same company will fire you without hesitation should they not need you anymore. It's just business.


Do you by any chance need c++ people too? I'd not mind living in Berlin for a while.. The Weinerei on Griebenowstraße is definately a place I'd go to every other day or so..

Sorry for bein offtopic..
Djagulingu
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Germany3605 Posts
July 26 2016 12:50 GMT
#14894
On July 26 2016 15:39 Morfildur wrote:
I've just accepted a new job for developing a brand new Hybris shop in Java.
It's been a while since I developed in Java, though I was fluid in it 10 years or so ago.

Does someone have experience with Hybris and can tell me how working with it is in general?
I'll get trained in it of course, but I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into.
Also, what's the usual Java IDE? Still the awful Eclipse?

I feel a bit bad for leaving my current job, since I'm essentially 50% of the programming power and the company already has big trouble getting any programmers at all, so now they're in deep trouble, but in the end the offer was too good to reject.

IntelliJ is the Master Java IDE now. Even the community edition is better than eclipse and netbeans combined.
"windows bash is a steaming heap of shit" tofucake
Deleted User 101379
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
4849 Posts
July 26 2016 13:10 GMT
#14895
On July 26 2016 21:50 Djagulingu wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 26 2016 15:39 Morfildur wrote:
I've just accepted a new job for developing a brand new Hybris shop in Java.
It's been a while since I developed in Java, though I was fluid in it 10 years or so ago.

Does someone have experience with Hybris and can tell me how working with it is in general?
I'll get trained in it of course, but I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into.
Also, what's the usual Java IDE? Still the awful Eclipse?

I feel a bit bad for leaving my current job, since I'm essentially 50% of the programming power and the company already has big trouble getting any programmers at all, so now they're in deep trouble, but in the end the offer was too good to reject.

IntelliJ is the Master Java IDE now. Even the community edition is better than eclipse and netbeans combined.


Good to know. I'm using PHPStorm from the same company for my PHP stuff, so that IDE might actually be familiar.
I'll try it out.
tofucake
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Hyrule19259 Posts
July 26 2016 13:21 GMT
#14896
hey zatic if my country falls apart can I come work with you in Germany?
Liquipediaasante sana squash banana
amazingxkcd
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
GRAND OLD AMERICA16375 Posts
July 26 2016 13:27 GMT
#14897
On July 26 2016 21:50 Djagulingu wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 26 2016 15:39 Morfildur wrote:
I've just accepted a new job for developing a brand new Hybris shop in Java.
It's been a while since I developed in Java, though I was fluid in it 10 years or so ago.

Does someone have experience with Hybris and can tell me how working with it is in general?
I'll get trained in it of course, but I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into.
Also, what's the usual Java IDE? Still the awful Eclipse?

I feel a bit bad for leaving my current job, since I'm essentially 50% of the programming power and the company already has big trouble getting any programmers at all, so now they're in deep trouble, but in the end the offer was too good to reject.

IntelliJ is the Master Java IDE now. Even the community edition is better than eclipse and netbeans combined.


until M$ puts out a visual studio with full support for java, this will be fact
The world is burning and you rather be on this terrible website discussing video games and your shallow feelings
Nesserev
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Belgium2760 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-07-26 15:36:04
July 26 2016 15:35 GMT
#14898
--- Nuked ---
Shield
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Bulgaria4824 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-07-26 23:40:43
July 26 2016 23:39 GMT
#14899
On July 27 2016 00:35 Nesserev wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 26 2016 22:27 amazingxkcd wrote:
On July 26 2016 21:50 Djagulingu wrote:
On July 26 2016 15:39 Morfildur wrote:
I've just accepted a new job for developing a brand new Hybris shop in Java.
It's been a while since I developed in Java, though I was fluid in it 10 years or so ago.

Does someone have experience with Hybris and can tell me how working with it is in general?
I'll get trained in it of course, but I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into.
Also, what's the usual Java IDE? Still the awful Eclipse?

I feel a bit bad for leaving my current job, since I'm essentially 50% of the programming power and the company already has big trouble getting any programmers at all, so now they're in deep trouble, but in the end the offer was too good to reject.

IntelliJ is the Master Java IDE now. Even the community edition is better than eclipse and netbeans combined.


until M$ puts out a visual studio with full support for java, this will be fact

Which will never happen.

Also, Visual Studio for anything not .NET... meh.


My main language from university was Java, but I dislike it nowadays. Still useful experience to learn concepts, but it doesn't offer great performance. I think C# is the better Java minus portability.
Frudgey
Profile Joined September 2012
Canada3367 Posts
July 27 2016 02:19 GMT
#14900
Does anyone know if it's possible to paginate (I hope I spelt that right) a text area on a HTML page?

I'm okay to use HTML, JavaScript or JQuery to try and do this. I was just wondering if anyone knows what I am talking about.

For context, thousands of values are being loaded into a text area and I think it's slowing down the HTML page that it's on, so I want to try and rectify this.

Thanks!
It is better to die for The Emperor than live for yourself.
Prev 1 743 744 745 746 747 1032 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 44m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft488
Nina 165
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 13604
Hyuk 48
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm199
League of Legends
Doublelift4608
Other Games
summit1g9836
FrodaN3137
JimRising 560
KnowMe197
ViBE115
ArmadaUGS103
Mew2King66
Trikslyr30
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1267
BasetradeTV216
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream100
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 101
• Letter145
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
9h 44m
INu's Battles
11h 44m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
14h 44m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
18h 44m
BSL Open Qualifier
18h 44m
Replay Cast
22h 44m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 9h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 10h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 15h
Replay Cast
1d 22h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.