• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:13
CEST 14:13
KST 21:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War05.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202618Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Rollback Netcode in Brood War Fantasy returning? GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11223 users

Introducing Frost Giant Studios - Page 9

Forum Index > General Games
177 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 7 8 9 All
cha0
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada518 Posts
June 09 2022 18:59 GMT
#161
On June 10 2022 03:54 Cyro wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 10 2022 03:52 JohnMatrix wrote:
is it a joke ? We saw nothing



Show nested quote +
On June 10 2022 03:53 cha0 wrote:
Trailer was very disappointing to me...


Show nested quote +
On June 10 2022 03:54 zeo wrote:
That trailer was amateur hour, yikes...



What were you expecting when it was confirmed that there wouldn't be gameplay footage and it's pre-alpha?


Something like this:
. Gave me shivers back then, still gives me shivers today.
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
June 09 2022 18:59 GMT
#162
On June 10 2022 03:59 cha0 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 10 2022 03:54 Cyro wrote:
On June 10 2022 03:52 JohnMatrix wrote:
is it a joke ? We saw nothing



On June 10 2022 03:53 cha0 wrote:
Trailer was very disappointing to me...


On June 10 2022 03:54 zeo wrote:
That trailer was amateur hour, yikes...



What were you expecting when it was confirmed that there wouldn't be gameplay footage and it's pre-alpha?


Something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOdTeT1xUQQ . Gave me shivers back then, still gives me shivers today.


That looks like a lot of the same to me
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
zeo
Profile Joined October 2009
Serbia6343 Posts
June 09 2022 19:00 GMT
#163
On June 10 2022 03:54 Cyro wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 10 2022 03:53 cha0 wrote:
Trailer was very disappointing to me...


Show nested quote +
On June 10 2022 03:54 zeo wrote:
That trailer was amateur hour, yikes...



What were you expecting without gameplay footage?

The sound and effects were really bad, animation was bad. Don't get me wrong, I am positive (as hyped as I can be so far away from release) about the game and hope to get into the beta, but they obviously haven't invested any money into competent cinematics. For the casual viewer, throwaway mass produced mobile games have made much better trailers than that.
“What the public criticizes in you, cultivate. It is you.” - Jean Cocteau
Ciaus_Dronu
Profile Joined June 2017
South Africa1848 Posts
June 09 2022 19:05 GMT
#164
On June 10 2022 03:54 zeo wrote:
That trailer was amateur hour, yikes...


Yeah, kinda feel the same T.T

I'm sure the game will be great, but that really didn't inspire hope for the lore, campaign, all that kinda stuff =/
Mafe
Profile Joined February 2011
Germany5966 Posts
Last Edited: 2022-06-09 19:10:11
June 09 2022 19:08 GMT
#165
Didnt expect it to live up to the hype anyways but.... I'm quite disappointed that given the self-declared aspiration to be the future of rts, from trailer alone I would never have guessed that this game would indeed be an rts game.

Well, let's see. Will check the information being released later; to be honest if there was too much buzz with no negativity, this would also make me suspicious too....
Unfortunately, they've also chosen a lore that doesnt appeal to me at all
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
Last Edited: 2022-06-09 19:24:28
June 09 2022 19:19 GMT
#166
On June 10 2022 04:00 zeo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 10 2022 03:54 Cyro wrote:
On June 10 2022 03:53 cha0 wrote:
Trailer was very disappointing to me...


On June 10 2022 03:54 zeo wrote:
That trailer was amateur hour, yikes...



What were you expecting without gameplay footage?

The sound and effects were really bad, animation was bad. Don't get me wrong, I am positive (as hyped as I can be so far away from release) about the game and hope to get into the beta, but they obviously haven't invested any money into competent cinematics. For the casual viewer, throwaway mass produced mobile games have made much better trailers than that.


Those are pre-rendered cinematics, Stormgate's was 100% in-engine.
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
Ludwigvan
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Germany2373 Posts
June 09 2022 19:25 GMT
#167
ah it wasnt pre rendered? ok that explains why it didnt wow.

winter will have a stream in half an hour an interview with Tim morten:
lestye
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4243 Posts
June 09 2022 19:46 GMT
#168
Do we know if this will be hero based like Warcraft or macro based like StarCraft
"You guys are just edgelords. Embrace your inner weeb desu" -Zergneedsfood
TL+ Member
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
June 09 2022 19:49 GMT
#169
On June 10 2022 04:46 lestye wrote:
Do we know if this will be hero based like Warcraft or macro based like StarCraft


Yes
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
Cricketer12
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
United States14003 Posts
June 09 2022 19:59 GMT
#170
I'm concerned we only gonna have 2 races. Wheres ma protoss boys?
Engage, Zero target Engage, Engage, Kagari target Engage, Engage.
Ludwigvan
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Germany2373 Posts
June 09 2022 20:10 GMT
#171
On June 10 2022 04:59 Cricketer12 wrote:
I'm concerned we only gonna have 2 races. Wheres ma protoss boys?

tim said they are going to have more than 2 races.
Zealgoon
Profile Joined January 2013
China188 Posts
Last Edited: 2022-06-09 23:35:41
June 09 2022 23:19 GMT
#172
I'm sorry but the trailer and screenshots looked terribad. I'd have believed if you told me it's some low effort moba.

Also really bad choice of name imo. Reminds me of a certain failed moba and a certain white supremist website.

Will still sign up for beta but my expectations are super low at this point.
Miragee
Profile Joined December 2009
8711 Posts
June 10 2022 07:45 GMT
#173
What were people expecting? I was and am highly sceptical because, as I stated before, they didn't seem to have an idea on what they really want to do nor how to achieve it. Also, having a team that worked on SC2 doesn't give me the highest hopes as SC2 is not really all that great.
The trailer doesn't say much and the end is cringe-worthy but I have seen much worse tbh. I couldn't care less for a good trailer if they would just make a good game. My favourite game of all time had a pre-release trailer that had almost nothing to do with the actual game in the end...On the opposite spectrum look at blizzard trailers, which are always top notch but their releases after SC2:WoL have been garbage. Not saying that's the case here but trailer quality and game quality are not necessarily connected.
lestye
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4243 Posts
June 11 2022 06:11 GMT
#174
On June 10 2022 16:45 Miragee wrote:
What were people expecting? I was and am highly sceptical because, as I stated before, they didn't seem to have an idea on what they really want to do nor how to achieve it. Also, having a team that worked on SC2 doesn't give me the highest hopes as SC2 is not really all that great.


Eh, I don't follow why you don't think they have an idea of what they really want to do or achieve it. They have given several interviews on what they want to do and how to achieve it. We just don't know what that looks like in t he game.

Eh, you may not like SC2 but it was well received. And looking at the state of the RTS genre, I think people want a new studio to do well. Because Relic and Petroglyph isn't cutting it, and Team 1 is disbanded.

Also, lets say you don't like SC2 at all, well good news! The director of this game never worked on SC2. He was a WC3 guy.
"You guys are just edgelords. Embrace your inner weeb desu" -Zergneedsfood
TL+ Member
Miragee
Profile Joined December 2009
8711 Posts
June 11 2022 10:15 GMT
#175
On June 11 2022 15:11 lestye wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 10 2022 16:45 Miragee wrote:
What were people expecting? I was and am highly sceptical because, as I stated before, they didn't seem to have an idea on what they really want to do nor how to achieve it. Also, having a team that worked on SC2 doesn't give me the highest hopes as SC2 is not really all that great.


Eh, I don't follow why you don't think they have an idea of what they really want to do or achieve it. They have given several interviews on what they want to do and how to achieve it. We just don't know what that looks like in t he game.


That was from the initial announcement and interviews (e.g. with Artosis). It was a lot of blabla, we want to make a popular RTS. Heroes? How many factions? What systems? Macro/micro? Modes? No idea, tell us what you want. We want to make it beginner-friendly without lowering the skill-sealing. How? We believe there are many options!
This changed a bit now, as I have watched a couple of the recent interviews. They seem to have some good ideas now. They also acknowledge problems with pathing that's too good (SC2). On the other hand they seem to brush off things like smart casting and MBS when it certainly led to problems. But being openly aware of some of these problems is already miles better than for example saying "we want to create the most smooth experience ever".

Eh, you may not like SC2 but it was well received. And looking at the state of the RTS genre, I think people want a new studio to do well. Because Relic and Petroglyph isn't cutting it, and Team 1 is disbanded.


Well received in the west, where the RTS market has always been tiny... Compared to a lot of other RTS SC2 is not bad gameplay-wise. It had to compare to BW and some extend WC3 though and wasn't able to reach those levels. The campaign is garbage though, compared to literally any RTS I have played.

Also, lets say you don't like SC2 at all, well good news! The director of this game never worked on SC2. He was a WC3 guy.


I was talking more broadly about the team but fair enough.

All that said, I want them to do well. I'm just very jaded when it comes to these "hype" game announcements with all those "brilliant" ideas to make "the next greatest game". It always leads to massive disappointments. The things these devs have said, I have heard dozens of times before in various iterations for games of virtually every genre. If they make a good game with fair monetisation (sad you have to say this these days) I will applaud them - and obviously buy and play it. But until it is out, I will be very sceptical.
lestye
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4243 Posts
June 11 2022 17:03 GMT
#176
On June 11 2022 19:15 Miragee wrote:



Well received in the west, where the RTS market has always been tiny... Compared to a lot of other RTS SC2 is not bad gameplay-wise. It had to compare to BW and some extend WC3 though and wasn't able to reach those levels. The campaign is garbage though, compared to literally any RTS I have played.




Eh, what numbers are you looking at? The market for RTS is incredibly small. If you're looking at just "is it popular on Afreeca/pc bangs" that isn't a good metric for the global market.

Especially when you look at how most copies of Brood War were pirated in Korea. Like, it's not like Age of Empires 4 and Grey Goo sold really well outside the West.

And when you're critiquing the campaign, are you saying the whole campaign design or the story? I'll concede the story isn't great, but when you look at the kind of campaigns that ship in the last 15 or so years by AAA RTS, a lot of em are just skirmishes with a cutscenes on either end with no interesting objectives or special units.

Also, lets say you don't like SC2 at all, well good news! The director of this game never worked on SC2. He was a WC3 guy.


I was talking more broadly about the team but fair enough.

All that said, I want them to do well. I'm just very jaded when it comes to these "hype" game announcements with all those "brilliant" ideas to make "the next greatest game". It always leads to massive disappointments. The things these devs have said, I have heard dozens of times before in various iterations for games of virtually every genre. If they make a good game with fair monetisation (sad you have to say this these days) I will applaud them - and obviously buy and play it. But until it is out, I will be very sceptical.


Yeah, it's a bit confusing because its reported that this is the team from SC2, but when I look at https://www.frostgiant.com/ , there's a couple of artist/engineers from WoL, but a lot of these names quite a bit after WoL.

To help your point there's also the problem of like most "former Blizzard" studios' games suck, like Hellgate: London, Rend, Red5, etc etc. Notable exception with ArenanNet and Guild Wars.

For sure, there's a lot to be skeptical of, but if you're a fan of the RTS genre I cant' blame anyone for wanting to be optimistic. Because like I said, the genre isn't looking hot right now. Creatively Assembly who mostly work on a completely different kind of RTS. Relic is mostly fun distractions and Petroglyph who are barely able to stay afloat. I don't think the metric should be "Unless this competitive scenes completely overtakes the Korean PC bang scene, it sucks".
"You guys are just edgelords. Embrace your inner weeb desu" -Zergneedsfood
TL+ Member
Miragee
Profile Joined December 2009
8711 Posts
Last Edited: 2022-06-11 19:39:42
June 11 2022 19:38 GMT
#177
On June 12 2022 02:03 lestye wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 11 2022 19:15 Miragee wrote:



Well received in the west, where the RTS market has always been tiny... Compared to a lot of other RTS SC2 is not bad gameplay-wise. It had to compare to BW and some extend WC3 though and wasn't able to reach those levels. The campaign is garbage though, compared to literally any RTS I have played.




Eh, what numbers are you looking at? The market for RTS is incredibly small. If you're looking at just "is it popular on Afreeca/pc bangs" that isn't a good metric for the global market.

Especially when you look at how most copies of Brood War were pirated in Korea. Like, it's not like Age of Empires 4 and Grey Goo sold really well outside the West.

And when you're critiquing the campaign, are you saying the whole campaign design or the story? I'll concede the story isn't great, but when you look at the kind of campaigns that ship in the last 15 or so years by AAA RTS, a lot of em are just skirmishes with a cutscenes on either end with no interesting objectives or special units.


Just thinking about how SC filled stadiums and was on national TV before the era of Publisher backed esports. Also player numbers and competitive scene in SC and WC3, not only in South Korea but China as well. But yeah, I might be wrong here because I have no idea about the number of sold copies. But in regards to competitive play SC2 flopped in China and SK comparatively. And that's with Blizzard's help, forcefully killing BW in SK. In the west, SC2 is likely the most successful esports RTS yet. But I don't really know any RTS that has had a really big competitive scene comparable to those of BW and WC3 in the east? Correct me if I'm wrong. I feel like esports in the west has always been more focussed on shooters.

Regarding the campaign: both. Tbf, I haven't played any new RTS for a decade. The newest ones I played are SC2 and DoW2. And while I disliked DoW2 so much, the campaign (especially with co-op) was a lot better than SC2's. SC2 had a handful of good missions, but also a lot of fillers which blatantly felt like fillers.


Show nested quote +
Also, lets say you don't like SC2 at all, well good news! The director of this game never worked on SC2. He was a WC3 guy.

Show nested quote +

I was talking more broadly about the team but fair enough.

All that said, I want them to do well. I'm just very jaded when it comes to these "hype" game announcements with all those "brilliant" ideas to make "the next greatest game". It always leads to massive disappointments. The things these devs have said, I have heard dozens of times before in various iterations for games of virtually every genre. If they make a good game with fair monetisation (sad you have to say this these days) I will applaud them - and obviously buy and play it. But until it is out, I will be very sceptical.


Yeah, it's a bit confusing because its reported that this is the team from SC2, but when I look at https://www.frostgiant.com/ , there's a couple of artist/engineers from WoL, but a lot of these names quite a bit after WoL.

To help your point there's also the problem of like most "former Blizzard" studios' games suck, like Hellgate: London, Rend, Red5, etc etc. Notable exception with ArenanNet and Guild Wars.

For sure, there's a lot to be skeptical of, but if you're a fan of the RTS genre I cant' blame anyone for wanting to be optimistic. Because like I said, the genre isn't looking hot right now. Creatively Assembly who mostly work on a completely different kind of RTS. Relic is mostly fun distractions and Petroglyph who are barely able to stay afloat. I don't think the metric should be "Unless this competitive scenes completely overtakes the Korean PC bang scene, it sucks".


Sure, not saying people can't be optimistic but it's probably not a great idea if they want to protect themselves from disappointment. I also want them to succeed. But you already see by some of the reactions that people had different expectations. Part of that is on them but part of that is also on the devs (and content creators) hyping up the project based on nothing. The devs use language to incite inflated expectations in people's heads while knowing full well that the audience for RTS is not as big compared to other genres. I feel like both sides should change gears and become a bit more realistic and grounded. In general, not just regarding this project. That would be much more healthy. I don't see it happening though. And as long as that's the case I will personally remain sceptical/pessimistic so when the game comes out I can either like it or shrug it off...
For what it's worth, I agree with you on your last point. I think the game should be either fun to play or fun to watch; both would be best case. If they achieve that for enough people to sustain their model, I would consider it a success. At least for myself. That being said, realistically "success" (a sustainable player base) depends much more on met player expectation. If they manage to do that, one way or another, they will succeed. If not, the game will die quickly.
lestye
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4243 Posts
June 12 2022 21:05 GMT
#178
"You guys are just edgelords. Embrace your inner weeb desu" -Zergneedsfood
TL+ Member
Prev 1 7 8 9 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 10h 47m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko281
LamboSC2 248
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 28862
Calm 6016
Rain 1893
Bisu 1472
Horang2 523
Jaedong 521
Rush 366
BeSt 333
Soma 262
Stork 227
[ Show more ]
Zeus 199
Mini 152
Light 119
Free 113
Larva 113
Snow 99
ZerO 94
Mong 86
Barracks 83
Pusan 79
Mind 75
910 70
Killer 44
Hyun 38
Sea.KH 38
ToSsGirL 35
NaDa 31
Shinee 27
Bale 26
Hm[arnc] 22
Sexy 22
Terrorterran 21
Noble 20
sorry 17
Aegong 15
Sacsri 7
FanTaSy 1
Dota 2
Gorgc7248
Counter-Strike
fl0m2438
olofmeister940
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King61
Other Games
gofns32041
singsing1778
B2W.Neo648
dupreeh391
crisheroes284
hiko12
ZerO(Twitch)2
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 9
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2805
• Nemesis1974
Other Games
• WagamamaTV171
Upcoming Events
OSC
10h 47m
Big Brain Bouts
21h 47m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 4h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 6h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 21h
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.