• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:53
CEST 14:53
KST 21:53
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)55Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8857 users

General Discussion - Page 152

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 150 151 152 153 154 176 Next
Please be advised:

We will be closing this General thread in 24 hours. It will remain searchable.

After that we will require new threads to discuss topics.

Questions should go in the stickied Q&A thread, screenshots and PotG will go in the PotG sticky, QQ/Rage/Complaints should go in the QQ/Rage thread. If you want to talk about maps or strategies open a new thread.

Any comments or concerns will be logged please forward them to ZeromuS. This new forum is still fluid so we will try this out. General TL rules will still apply to new threads.
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
April 19 2016 15:52 GMT
#3021
On April 20 2016 00:47 Djzapz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 20 2016 00:43 Plansix wrote:
On April 20 2016 00:36 Djzapz wrote:
On April 19 2016 23:32 Plansix wrote:
Yawn, Twitch viewers and anecdotal evidence used as a metric for success and self affirmation that game person does not like is a failure. Its like everyone is pulling their talking points from the same place, as is always on the internet.

People did the same for HotS and the game did turn out to be disastrously bad and boring... and it's now basically irrelevant, like one other Blizzard title that is meant to be competitive.

Insert *Yeah, well, you know, that is just like your opinion man.jpg*

The endless online argument that revolves around games being failures based on a metric created by poster claiming the game is a failure.

People speculate and stuff like that. Then shitters show up and they bring up that people who speculate may be wrong.

No shit. I could've said that too. That's a very safe position to take. Maybe yes, maybe no. Now I'm the most boring person ever, do I deserve a medal for pretending to be the voice of reason?

NOBODY KNOWS, SHUT UP EVERYONE. The future is a secret. Shhh!

The key is to couch our opinion as that, an opinion. Not a declarative statement that the “game is a failure”. That is an opinion being passed off as fact. I get that people like to talk like that on the internet, but you don’t get to go back as say “That was clearly my just opinion.”
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
MotherFox
Profile Blog Joined March 2013
United States1529 Posts
April 19 2016 15:57 GMT
#3022
Played overwatch this last weekend. Seems really fun, though I wish the maps had some mechanic to divide teams' attentions. Fighting over a single point on the map at all times(even if that point changes position) made all the maps feel vaguely samey aside from considerations like openness-of-the-fighting-point and distance-from-my-base.
Don't Panic
thePunGun
Profile Blog Joined January 2016
598 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-04-19 16:04:50
April 19 2016 16:02 GMT
#3023
On April 19 2016 22:49 kongoline wrote:
i agree game is pretty shallow and i predict it will fail like heroers of storm did (similar reasons too)


I love it when people state their opinions like facts. "I don't like it, that's why it sucks and anyone who disagrees with me is wrong, because I say so!"
I don't know it's just funny to me, when I think about what their life must be like.
Well, I guess that's what you get, when you're giving kids awards for essentially achieving nothing but participating..
Everybody is special and everyone's opinion matters.....well guess what you're not special and nobody cares about your opinion! It's neither important nor a fact!! So take your damn trophy and get lost!!

...gotta love George Carlin, that guy was a genius!
"You cannot teach a man anything, you can only help him find it within himself."
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-04-19 16:08:25
April 19 2016 16:03 GMT
#3024
On April 20 2016 00:52 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 20 2016 00:47 Djzapz wrote:
On April 20 2016 00:43 Plansix wrote:
On April 20 2016 00:36 Djzapz wrote:
On April 19 2016 23:32 Plansix wrote:
Yawn, Twitch viewers and anecdotal evidence used as a metric for success and self affirmation that game person does not like is a failure. Its like everyone is pulling their talking points from the same place, as is always on the internet.

People did the same for HotS and the game did turn out to be disastrously bad and boring... and it's now basically irrelevant, like one other Blizzard title that is meant to be competitive.

Insert *Yeah, well, you know, that is just like your opinion man.jpg*

The endless online argument that revolves around games being failures based on a metric created by poster claiming the game is a failure.

People speculate and stuff like that. Then shitters show up and they bring up that people who speculate may be wrong.

No shit. I could've said that too. That's a very safe position to take. Maybe yes, maybe no. Now I'm the most boring person ever, do I deserve a medal for pretending to be the voice of reason?

NOBODY KNOWS, SHUT UP EVERYONE. The future is a secret. Shhh!

The key is to couch our opinion as that, an opinion. Not a declarative statement that the “game is a failure”. That is an opinion being passed off as fact. I get that people like to talk like that on the internet, but you don’t get to go back as say “That was clearly my just opinion.”

I made no such declaration and I'm not too concerned with people who do. Why flip out? Are you worried that people might mistake people's opinions as fact because they say them with a lot of conviction? If that's the case then those people are even dumber than whoever's spewing the opinion and I doubt you'll save them.

Nonetheless it really is the case that Blizzard is once again making very curious decisions, and it's fair to say that many of those will discourage many people from playing. First the pretty hefty pricepoint for a game that was initially thought to be a f2p title, then the lack of customizability in a FPS of all genres, the absence of fan mapmaking tools or private servers, the incredibly low tick rate making for poor hitscan reg, let alone my own complaints about how games play out in general. I don't think it means the game is "dead" before it hatched, but holy shit do I think there are grounds for complaining. Every time I see Blizzard yap about how they took feedback into account, I can't help to laugh, and I think it's justified. Blizzard couldn't care less about feedback, FFS, that much is clear.

If you can't see that those shortcomings may lead to the game selling fewer copies, and may lead many players from getting bored of it pretty quick, then we have to agree to disagree. I think people are bashing their heads against the wall, I think I am - but it's because there have been times when complaining to certain developers actually turned out to be good. Some games were made better when people complained enough and the dev listened. It's a damn shame Blizzard wouldn't budge on some of their shit decisions. No mapmaking in a FPS, jesus fucking christ is this the 1990's. It's a huge asset for a community.

On April 20 2016 01:02 thePunGun wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 19 2016 22:49 kongoline wrote:
i agree game is pretty shallow and i predict it will fail like heroers of storm did (similar reasons too)


I love it when people state their opinions like facts. "I don't like it, that's why it sucks and anyone who disagrees with me is wrong, because I say so!"
I don't know it's just funny to me, when I think about what their life must be like.
Well, I guess that's what you get, when you're giving kids awards for essentially achieving nothing but participating..everybody is special and everyone's opinion matters.....well guess what you're not special and nobody cares about your opinion! It's neither important nor a fact!! So take your damn trophy and get lost!!

...gotta love George Carlin, that guy was a genius!

"I predict X" is not a statement of fact, and "I don't like it, that's why it sucks and anyone who disagrees with me is wrong, because I say so!" is not at all representative of what the guy said.

I think it's hilarious that your statement is much more of your opinion being stated as a fact. You start of by miscaratirizing what he said VERY badly, so from a complete strawman, you build this complete fiction that he was raised that way. So you distort the guy's argument, and then you blame his parents for something he didn't even say. That's fucking glorious. And then you even state that no one cares as if it was a fact! 10/10 irony is real good job.
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
thePunGun
Profile Blog Joined January 2016
598 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-04-19 16:55:15
April 19 2016 16:17 GMT
#3025
On April 20 2016 01:03 Djzapz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 20 2016 00:52 Plansix wrote:
On April 20 2016 00:47 Djzapz wrote:
On April 20 2016 00:43 Plansix wrote:
On April 20 2016 00:36 Djzapz wrote:
On April 19 2016 23:32 Plansix wrote:
Yawn, Twitch viewers and anecdotal evidence used as a metric for success and self affirmation that game person does not like is a failure. Its like everyone is pulling their talking points from the same place, as is always on the internet.

People did the same for HotS and the game did turn out to be disastrously bad and boring... and it's now basically irrelevant, like one other Blizzard title that is meant to be competitive.

Insert *Yeah, well, you know, that is just like your opinion man.jpg*

The endless online argument that revolves around games being failures based on a metric created by poster claiming the game is a failure.

People speculate and stuff like that. Then shitters show up and they bring up that people who speculate may be wrong.

No shit. I could've said that too. That's a very safe position to take. Maybe yes, maybe no. Now I'm the most boring person ever, do I deserve a medal for pretending to be the voice of reason?

NOBODY KNOWS, SHUT UP EVERYONE. The future is a secret. Shhh!

The key is to couch our opinion as that, an opinion. Not a declarative statement that the “game is a failure”. That is an opinion being passed off as fact. I get that people like to talk like that on the internet, but you don’t get to go back as say “That was clearly my just opinion.”

I made no such declaration and I'm not too concerned with people who do. Why flip out? Are you worried that people might mistake people's opinions as fact because they say them with a lot of conviction? If that's the case then those people are even dumber than whoever's spewing the opinion and I doubt you'll save them.

Nonetheless it really is the case that Blizzard is once again making very curious decisions, and it's fair to say that many of those will discourage many people from playing. First the pretty hefty pricepoint for a game that was initially thought to be a f2p title, then the lack of customizability in a FPS of all genres, the absence of fan mapmaking tools or private servers, the incredibly low tick rate making for poor hitscan reg, let alone my own complaints about how games play out in general. I don't think it means the game is "dead" before it hatched, but holy shit do I think there are grounds for complaining. Every time I see Blizzard yap about how they took feedback into account, I can't help to laugh, and I think it's justified. Blizzard couldn't care less about feedback, FFS, that much is clear.

If you can't see that those shortcomings may lead to the game selling fewer copies, and may lead many players from getting bored of it pretty quick, then we have to agree to disagree. I think people are bashing their heads against the wall, I think I am - but it's because there have been times when complaining to certain developers actually turned out to be good. Some games were made better when people complained enough and the dev listened. It's a damn shame Blizzard wouldn't budge on some of their shit decisions. No mapmaking in a FPS, jesus fucking christ is this the 1990's. It's a huge asset for a community.

Show nested quote +
On April 20 2016 01:02 thePunGun wrote:
On April 19 2016 22:49 kongoline wrote:
i agree game is pretty shallow and i predict it will fail like heroers of storm did (similar reasons too)


I love it when people state their opinions like facts. "I don't like it, that's why it sucks and anyone who disagrees with me is wrong, because I say so!"
I don't know it's just funny to me, when I think about what their life must be like.
Well, I guess that's what you get, when you're giving kids awards for essentially achieving nothing but participating..everybody is special and everyone's opinion matters.....well guess what you're not special and nobody cares about your opinion! It's neither important nor a fact!! So take your damn trophy and get lost!!

...gotta love George Carlin, that guy was a genius!

"I predict X" is not a statement of fact, and "I don't like it, that's why it sucks and anyone who disagrees with me is wrong, because I say so!" is not at all representative of what the guy said.

I think it's hilarious that your statement is much more of your opinion being stated as a fact. You start of by miscaratirizing what he said VERY badly, so from a complete strawman, you build this complete fiction that he was raised that way. So you distort the guy's argument, and then you blame his parents for something he didn't even say. That's fucking glorious. And then you even state that no one cares as if it was a fact! 10/10 irony is real good job.


The guy started with "I agree ---->followed by opinion "fail like heroes" so how did heroes fail? Then why can I play it everyday and find people to play with me? how does anything he said reflect reality? I'm sorry but that guy clearly took the assumption train to self-opinionated valley...

edit: I'm a numbers guy, numbers never lie (although errors can happen we're all just human unfortunatley). That's why I
tend to overreact when people state their interpretation of reality as a fact. My gf usually elbows me in the ribs whenever I get carried away in my so called "real life".
"You cannot teach a man anything, you can only help him find it within himself."
Andre
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Slovenia3523 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-04-19 16:22:32
April 19 2016 16:19 GMT
#3026
"Interesting" stuff happening in this thread.

But I do share the sentiment, if Blizzard approaches the game like they did SC2 where they were too prideful to listen to the pro community, it can only be bad for the game in the long term. At the same time it might also be a thing of them being so big, it's hard to implement and digest changes at a fast rate. Even when you look at SC2's test servers most of the time the patches were quite mild from what you'd expect. I'd go crazy if I had a test server, I mean look at dota icefrog/valve have used the game as an experiment numerous times -- and all for the better in the long-term I'd say.

Another thing to consider this will be the first time Blizzard has really forayed into a FPS genre, something they really haven't done before.(SC:Ghost being a 3rd person game) Concurrently, the focus seems to be less on FPS elements and more on ability usage. We'll see either way.



The guy started with "I agree ---->followed by opinion "fail like heroes" so how did heroes fail? Then why can I play it everyday and find people to play with me? how does anything he said reflect reality? I'm sorry but that guy clearly took the assumption train to self-opinionated valley...

Perhaps, his point still kind of stands. I think what he meant it 'failed' as an e-sport. There's no other kind of failure he could be talking about, barring design decisions blizzard made with the game, but that's entirely subjective. I'm pretty sure we can agree HotS can't compete with LoL/DotA in terms of viewership or competitive opportunities, but perhaps blizzard never intended that for the game anyway.

I mean, I'm with you. Games should be played and enjoyed but nowadays every MP title is judged by how many people watch it on twitch or the pro scene it employs, among other things.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.
Meta
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
United States6228 Posts
April 19 2016 16:36 GMT
#3027
The difference between Overwatch and HotS or SC2 is that Overwatch is more fun than rival similar titles (TF2, Battleborn), whereas HotS and SC2 are not more fun than Dota, League or SC:BW. I think that this game could end up being Blizzard's most successful title in years with more longevity than either HotS or SC2.
good vibes only
Gorsameth
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands22628 Posts
April 19 2016 16:39 GMT
#3028
On April 20 2016 01:36 Meta wrote:
The difference between Overwatch and HotS or SC2 is that Overwatch is more fun than rival similar titles (TF2, Battleborn), whereas HotS and SC2 are not more fun than Dota, League or SC:BW. I think that this game could end up being Blizzard's most successful title in years with more longevity than either HotS or SC2.

I don't see it eclipsing Hearthstone in the long run tho so it won't be the most successful title in years.
It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-04-19 16:40:27
April 19 2016 16:39 GMT
#3029
I think the most important part is that it is something different and not trying to work it's way into an already saturated market. And it leverages Blizzards greatest abilities, which are to make accessible games with amazing, larger than life characters, that also have depth for those who are looking for it that.

On April 20 2016 01:39 Gorsameth wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 20 2016 01:36 Meta wrote:
The difference between Overwatch and HotS or SC2 is that Overwatch is more fun than rival similar titles (TF2, Battleborn), whereas HotS and SC2 are not more fun than Dota, League or SC:BW. I think that this game could end up being Blizzard's most successful title in years with more longevity than either HotS or SC2.

I don't see it eclipsing Hearthstone in the long run tho so it won't be the most successful title in years.


Its also a think that can just exist beside hearthstone, since the markets are totally different.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Gorsameth
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands22628 Posts
April 19 2016 16:42 GMT
#3030
On April 20 2016 01:39 Plansix wrote:
I think the most important part is that it is something different and not trying to work it's way into an already saturated market. And it leverages Blizzards greatest abilities, which are to make accessible games with amazing, larger than life characters, that also have depth for those who are looking for it that.

Show nested quote +
On April 20 2016 01:39 Gorsameth wrote:
On April 20 2016 01:36 Meta wrote:
The difference between Overwatch and HotS or SC2 is that Overwatch is more fun than rival similar titles (TF2, Battleborn), whereas HotS and SC2 are not more fun than Dota, League or SC:BW. I think that this game could end up being Blizzard's most successful title in years with more longevity than either HotS or SC2.

I don't see it eclipsing Hearthstone in the long run tho so it won't be the most successful title in years.


Its also a think that can just exist beside hearthstone, since the markets are totally different.

No where did I say they can't exist together or that Overwatch can't be successful. I think it will do very well but you can't call it their most successful title in years if it doesn't beat Hearthstone.
It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death
Andre
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Slovenia3523 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-04-19 16:45:01
April 19 2016 16:44 GMT
#3031
It won't beat Hearthstone for the title of 'most succesful recent blizz game' but that's mainly because there was no good TGC client available so far. Wizards of the coast are idiots and I bet they're kicking themselves when they look at HS. Hearthstone came at a really good time and it's also warcraft-themed which is a big bonus for the blizzard fans in general.

There's some alternatives to Overwatch but I agree, none of them are going to be in overwatch's way. On the other hand SC2 had a huge potential as well, living up to the legacy of BW was going to be a hard effort anyway, but I don't think it achieved what it should've. I guess the other thing to say is that the RTS-genre has been on the decline since WC3 so perhaps it's not just blizzard's fault.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-04-19 16:45:36
April 19 2016 16:45 GMT
#3032
On April 20 2016 01:42 Gorsameth wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 20 2016 01:39 Plansix wrote:
I think the most important part is that it is something different and not trying to work it's way into an already saturated market. And it leverages Blizzards greatest abilities, which are to make accessible games with amazing, larger than life characters, that also have depth for those who are looking for it that.

On April 20 2016 01:39 Gorsameth wrote:
On April 20 2016 01:36 Meta wrote:
The difference between Overwatch and HotS or SC2 is that Overwatch is more fun than rival similar titles (TF2, Battleborn), whereas HotS and SC2 are not more fun than Dota, League or SC:BW. I think that this game could end up being Blizzard's most successful title in years with more longevity than either HotS or SC2.

I don't see it eclipsing Hearthstone in the long run tho so it won't be the most successful title in years.


Its also a think that can just exist beside hearthstone, since the markets are totally different.

No where did I say they can't exist together or that Overwatch can't be successful. I think it will do very well but you can't call it their most successful title in years if it doesn't beat Hearthstone.

Overwatch can't beat a massively successful and accessible f2p game, especially not in term of viewership. Have you watched Overwatch? It fucking sucks as a spectator game.
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
Gorsameth
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands22628 Posts
April 19 2016 16:47 GMT
#3033
On April 20 2016 01:45 Djzapz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 20 2016 01:42 Gorsameth wrote:
On April 20 2016 01:39 Plansix wrote:
I think the most important part is that it is something different and not trying to work it's way into an already saturated market. And it leverages Blizzards greatest abilities, which are to make accessible games with amazing, larger than life characters, that also have depth for those who are looking for it that.

On April 20 2016 01:39 Gorsameth wrote:
On April 20 2016 01:36 Meta wrote:
The difference between Overwatch and HotS or SC2 is that Overwatch is more fun than rival similar titles (TF2, Battleborn), whereas HotS and SC2 are not more fun than Dota, League or SC:BW. I think that this game could end up being Blizzard's most successful title in years with more longevity than either HotS or SC2.

I don't see it eclipsing Hearthstone in the long run tho so it won't be the most successful title in years.


Its also a think that can just exist beside hearthstone, since the markets are totally different.

No where did I say they can't exist together or that Overwatch can't be successful. I think it will do very well but you can't call it their most successful title in years if it doesn't beat Hearthstone.

Overwatch can't beat a massively successful and accessible f2p game, especially not in term of viewership. Have you watched Overwatch? It fucking sucks as a spectator game.

Please take a deep breath and read the conversation again.
Then realize your barking up the wrong tree.

Thank you.
It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death
Andre
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Slovenia3523 Posts
April 19 2016 16:48 GMT
#3034
I'm pretty sure hearthstone isn't a success because it's a masterpiece of a spectator game. lmao. it's a decent tgc game at the right time at the right place with warcraft theme.

What I'm saying a game can easily be a shit spectator game and still "succeed". Look at LoL. Percentage based there's far more people playing than watching, compared to say a game like SC2 where the majority of people actually watched the game instead of played it.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-04-19 16:54:44
April 19 2016 16:51 GMT
#3035
On April 20 2016 01:47 Gorsameth wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 20 2016 01:45 Djzapz wrote:
On April 20 2016 01:42 Gorsameth wrote:
On April 20 2016 01:39 Plansix wrote:
I think the most important part is that it is something different and not trying to work it's way into an already saturated market. And it leverages Blizzards greatest abilities, which are to make accessible games with amazing, larger than life characters, that also have depth for those who are looking for it that.

On April 20 2016 01:39 Gorsameth wrote:
On April 20 2016 01:36 Meta wrote:
The difference between Overwatch and HotS or SC2 is that Overwatch is more fun than rival similar titles (TF2, Battleborn), whereas HotS and SC2 are not more fun than Dota, League or SC:BW. I think that this game could end up being Blizzard's most successful title in years with more longevity than either HotS or SC2.

I don't see it eclipsing Hearthstone in the long run tho so it won't be the most successful title in years.


Its also a think that can just exist beside hearthstone, since the markets are totally different.

No where did I say they can't exist together or that Overwatch can't be successful. I think it will do very well but you can't call it their most successful title in years if it doesn't beat Hearthstone.

Overwatch can't beat a massively successful and accessible f2p game, especially not in term of viewership. Have you watched Overwatch? It fucking sucks as a spectator game.

Please take a deep breath and read the conversation again.
Then realize your barking up the wrong tree.

Thank you.

"I think it will do very well but you can't call it their most successful title in years if it doesn't beat Hearthstone." -You

My point is it could be considered their most successful title in years without beating Hearthstone in terms of viewership if it was successful financially and somehow led to a healthy competitive scene, which I doubt will happen. But IDK what metric you're thinking about for "beating hearthstone". So no I didn't misunderstand you, I was indirectly asking for clarification. How does Overwatch need to "beat" Hearthstone?

I ask because people have vastly different standards for what success is. For Blizzard it's financial success. For some it's viewership. For some it's sustainability... etc.
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
April 19 2016 16:54 GMT
#3036
On April 20 2016 01:51 Djzapz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 20 2016 01:47 Gorsameth wrote:
On April 20 2016 01:45 Djzapz wrote:
On April 20 2016 01:42 Gorsameth wrote:
On April 20 2016 01:39 Plansix wrote:
I think the most important part is that it is something different and not trying to work it's way into an already saturated market. And it leverages Blizzards greatest abilities, which are to make accessible games with amazing, larger than life characters, that also have depth for those who are looking for it that.

On April 20 2016 01:39 Gorsameth wrote:
On April 20 2016 01:36 Meta wrote:
The difference between Overwatch and HotS or SC2 is that Overwatch is more fun than rival similar titles (TF2, Battleborn), whereas HotS and SC2 are not more fun than Dota, League or SC:BW. I think that this game could end up being Blizzard's most successful title in years with more longevity than either HotS or SC2.

I don't see it eclipsing Hearthstone in the long run tho so it won't be the most successful title in years.


Its also a think that can just exist beside hearthstone, since the markets are totally different.

No where did I say they can't exist together or that Overwatch can't be successful. I think it will do very well but you can't call it their most successful title in years if it doesn't beat Hearthstone.

Overwatch can't beat a massively successful and accessible f2p game, especially not in term of viewership. Have you watched Overwatch? It fucking sucks as a spectator game.

Please take a deep breath and read the conversation again.
Then realize your barking up the wrong tree.

Thank you.

"I think it will do very well but you can't call it their most successful title in years if it doesn't beat Hearthstone." -You

My point is it could be considered their most successful title in years without beating Hearthstone in terms of viewership if it was successful financially and somehow led to a healthy competitive scene, which I doubt will happen. But IDK what metric you're thinking about for "beating hearthstone". So no I didn't misunderstand you, I was indirectly asking for clarification. How does Overwatch need to "beat" Hearthstone?

No one is talking about viewership except for you. You are arguing against points not on is making.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Andre
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Slovenia3523 Posts
April 19 2016 16:54 GMT
#3037
Communication is hard.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-04-19 16:56:00
April 19 2016 16:55 GMT
#3038
On April 20 2016 01:54 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 20 2016 01:51 Djzapz wrote:
On April 20 2016 01:47 Gorsameth wrote:
On April 20 2016 01:45 Djzapz wrote:
On April 20 2016 01:42 Gorsameth wrote:
On April 20 2016 01:39 Plansix wrote:
I think the most important part is that it is something different and not trying to work it's way into an already saturated market. And it leverages Blizzards greatest abilities, which are to make accessible games with amazing, larger than life characters, that also have depth for those who are looking for it that.

On April 20 2016 01:39 Gorsameth wrote:
On April 20 2016 01:36 Meta wrote:
The difference between Overwatch and HotS or SC2 is that Overwatch is more fun than rival similar titles (TF2, Battleborn), whereas HotS and SC2 are not more fun than Dota, League or SC:BW. I think that this game could end up being Blizzard's most successful title in years with more longevity than either HotS or SC2.

I don't see it eclipsing Hearthstone in the long run tho so it won't be the most successful title in years.


Its also a think that can just exist beside hearthstone, since the markets are totally different.

No where did I say they can't exist together or that Overwatch can't be successful. I think it will do very well but you can't call it their most successful title in years if it doesn't beat Hearthstone.

Overwatch can't beat a massively successful and accessible f2p game, especially not in term of viewership. Have you watched Overwatch? It fucking sucks as a spectator game.

Please take a deep breath and read the conversation again.
Then realize your barking up the wrong tree.

Thank you.

"I think it will do very well but you can't call it their most successful title in years if it doesn't beat Hearthstone." -You

My point is it could be considered their most successful title in years without beating Hearthstone in terms of viewership if it was successful financially and somehow led to a healthy competitive scene, which I doubt will happen. But IDK what metric you're thinking about for "beating hearthstone". So no I didn't misunderstand you, I was indirectly asking for clarification. How does Overwatch need to "beat" Hearthstone?

No one is talking about viewership except for you. You are arguing against points not on is making.

I'm asking by what metric ffs, my point is "if not viewership then what" and your answer is "not viewership".

This is ridiculous.
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
Gorsameth
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands22628 Posts
April 19 2016 16:57 GMT
#3039
On April 20 2016 01:51 Djzapz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 20 2016 01:47 Gorsameth wrote:
On April 20 2016 01:45 Djzapz wrote:
On April 20 2016 01:42 Gorsameth wrote:
On April 20 2016 01:39 Plansix wrote:
I think the most important part is that it is something different and not trying to work it's way into an already saturated market. And it leverages Blizzards greatest abilities, which are to make accessible games with amazing, larger than life characters, that also have depth for those who are looking for it that.

On April 20 2016 01:39 Gorsameth wrote:
On April 20 2016 01:36 Meta wrote:
The difference between Overwatch and HotS or SC2 is that Overwatch is more fun than rival similar titles (TF2, Battleborn), whereas HotS and SC2 are not more fun than Dota, League or SC:BW. I think that this game could end up being Blizzard's most successful title in years with more longevity than either HotS or SC2.

I don't see it eclipsing Hearthstone in the long run tho so it won't be the most successful title in years.


Its also a think that can just exist beside hearthstone, since the markets are totally different.

No where did I say they can't exist together or that Overwatch can't be successful. I think it will do very well but you can't call it their most successful title in years if it doesn't beat Hearthstone.

Overwatch can't beat a massively successful and accessible f2p game, especially not in term of viewership. Have you watched Overwatch? It fucking sucks as a spectator game.

Please take a deep breath and read the conversation again.
Then realize your barking up the wrong tree.

Thank you.

"I think it will do very well but you can't call it their most successful title in years if it doesn't beat Hearthstone." -You

My point is it could be considered their most successful title in years without beating Hearthstone in terms of viewership if it was successful financially and somehow led to a healthy competitive scene, which I doubt will happen. But IDK what metric you're thinking about for "beating hearthstone". So no I didn't misunderstand you, I was indirectly asking for clarification. How does Overwatch need to "beat" Hearthstone?

Will it get more twitch views then Hearthstone (after the initial first week hype)? Doubtful
Will it have more players then Hearthstone? probably not.
Will it make more money then Hearthstone? Unlikely (even tho Hearthstone is f2p casual players spend a lot of money on games like that)

Hence, while it will probably be 'successful' it won't be more successful then Hearthstone.

I don't follow the competitive Hearthstone scene so sure maybe Overwatch will beat that (I doubt it since I agree with you that its a bad spectator game) but that alone is imo not enough.
It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
April 19 2016 16:58 GMT
#3040
On April 20 2016 01:55 Djzapz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 20 2016 01:54 Plansix wrote:
On April 20 2016 01:51 Djzapz wrote:
On April 20 2016 01:47 Gorsameth wrote:
On April 20 2016 01:45 Djzapz wrote:
On April 20 2016 01:42 Gorsameth wrote:
On April 20 2016 01:39 Plansix wrote:
I think the most important part is that it is something different and not trying to work it's way into an already saturated market. And it leverages Blizzards greatest abilities, which are to make accessible games with amazing, larger than life characters, that also have depth for those who are looking for it that.

On April 20 2016 01:39 Gorsameth wrote:
On April 20 2016 01:36 Meta wrote:
The difference between Overwatch and HotS or SC2 is that Overwatch is more fun than rival similar titles (TF2, Battleborn), whereas HotS and SC2 are not more fun than Dota, League or SC:BW. I think that this game could end up being Blizzard's most successful title in years with more longevity than either HotS or SC2.

I don't see it eclipsing Hearthstone in the long run tho so it won't be the most successful title in years.


Its also a think that can just exist beside hearthstone, since the markets are totally different.

No where did I say they can't exist together or that Overwatch can't be successful. I think it will do very well but you can't call it their most successful title in years if it doesn't beat Hearthstone.

Overwatch can't beat a massively successful and accessible f2p game, especially not in term of viewership. Have you watched Overwatch? It fucking sucks as a spectator game.

Please take a deep breath and read the conversation again.
Then realize your barking up the wrong tree.

Thank you.

"I think it will do very well but you can't call it their most successful title in years if it doesn't beat Hearthstone." -You

My point is it could be considered their most successful title in years without beating Hearthstone in terms of viewership if it was successful financially and somehow led to a healthy competitive scene, which I doubt will happen. But IDK what metric you're thinking about for "beating hearthstone". So no I didn't misunderstand you, I was indirectly asking for clarification. How does Overwatch need to "beat" Hearthstone?

No one is talking about viewership except for you. You are arguing against points not on is making.

I'm asking by what metric ffs, my point is "if not viewership then what" and your answer is "not viewership".

This is ridiculous.

How much money the game makes for Blizzard, which isn't publicly available, so we don't talk about it. Or that people are playing and enjoying the game, because you can always find a match of Hots.

You don't just got to pick the number that you like and then try to drag it into every discussion. You are just talking past people, rather than to them.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Prev 1 150 151 152 153 154 176 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko478
ProTech153
Rex 48
SteadfastSC 5
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 51799
Bisu 1945
Horang2 1193
Hyuk 530
BeSt 432
Soma 394
Mini 365
Light 304
EffOrt 303
Larva 240
[ Show more ]
Rush 147
ZerO 135
Mong 112
Leta 82
Barracks 81
Sea.KH 64
Snow 57
Pusan 54
ToSsGirL 49
Shinee 39
Mind 39
Aegong 31
JYJ 24
Bale 22
Sexy 22
Yoon 21
sorry 21
Noble 12
Terrorterran 12
Icarus 9
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
Dota 2
Gorgc3980
XaKoH 357
Counter-Strike
Fnx 533
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1409
Khaldor1139
Other Games
gofns38074
singsing2249
olofmeister1329
B2W.Neo459
hiko288
Livibee188
Mew2King78
ArmadaUGS48
Liquid`VortiX27
ZerO(Twitch)10
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream205
StarCraft 2
TaKeTV 58
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 10
StarCraft 2
ComeBackTV 3
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH192
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 19
• FirePhoenix6
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
7m
OSC
9h 7m
CranKy Ducklings
21h 7m
Online Event
22h 7m
FEL
1d 3h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 4h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 6h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 21h
INu's Battles
1d 23h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.