• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:36
CEST 20:36
KST 03:36
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 13593 users

Guardians of Atlas - Page 24

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 22 23 24 25 26 63 Next
Development ended, game appears to be dead.
https://forums.artillery.com/discussion/911/end-of-development
-Jinro
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
August 23 2016 20:24 GMT
#461
An automated economy that you have to protect and control space to take advantage can be just as interesting. The underrated game Ruse had a system where people could raid enemy supply lines for income as they traveled to the enemy main base. I am surprised I never saw the mechanic again.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Motiva
Profile Joined November 2007
United States1774 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-08-23 20:29:49
August 23 2016 20:27 GMT
#462
It's the closest to a competitive RTS we're gonna see before BWHD, lol. NDA is still in effect I wish I could explain how there is actually a lot of room here for someone with RTS skills to utilize those skills, particularly the RTS skills that don't transfer to standard mobas.

This is not any game's killer and it's not a Post-SC2 savior of the RTS genre, but if you're like me, a BW player who then played SC2 for a few years and I really haven't enjoyed SC2 in a few years. I'll go play a couple games of BW a couple times a year, but meh... Mobas and fighting games hold little interest for me. They certainly aren't the new RTS-genre. lol

While I imagine only a small % of Starcraft players will love this game, especially if we're all set on old-school RTS mechanics for every strategy game. There are hardly any other options for someone like me, in terms of new games. This game will reward your RTS mechanics on a level beyond any MOBA that I've played. I'm a macro player in starcraft, and macro is probably the strongest part of my game in Atlas.

I've enjoyed my 2 months with it, and it's actually improved rapidly during that time. I think some of you critics are underestimating the number of experiments and iterations this game went through, and that is why it took so long. You can hold that against this team, or you can see it as part of their determination and passion or anything else.

I've always been that guy who was annoyed in your standard moba though because theres a constant stream of inefficiency in the tug-of-war creeps. With just a little micro.......... So if at first glance it looks like LoL turned back into Warcraft 3 for instance ^ That sounds better than LoL or etc to me!

I don't think this breaks the NDA :D no descriptions here, nope :D lol.
lestye
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4243 Posts
August 23 2016 20:37 GMT
#463
On August 24 2016 04:31 KeksX wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 24 2016 04:29 Endymion wrote:
as a competitor to broodwar it has not legs to stand on,


Why would you think this a competitor to brood war?


It described itself as a "hardcore RTS", and hired Day9.

On August 24 2016 04:48 Endymion wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 24 2016 04:43 Plansix wrote:
On August 24 2016 04:39 Endymion wrote:
On August 24 2016 04:31 KeksX wrote:
On August 24 2016 04:29 Endymion wrote:
as a competitor to broodwar it has not legs to stand on,


Why would you think this a competitor to brood war?


i was hoping :p

As much as I like watching and being terrible at old BW, attempting to fill the void in the market is a sure way to go out of business. When people say RTS for noobs, what that really means is that it isn’t designed for the ever shrinking RTS market.


i don't think the rts market is shrinking, i just think that developers are too gunshy or bad to publish a proper rts. BW is still largely popular in korea, which i'm sure you already know.. people just refuse to build on the success of difficult competitive rts because they haven't found a way to properly monetize it imo.. it's weird because i think fighting games are the successor to sc1 atm, they're the most similar in mechanics


It is shrinking. How many AAA RTSes do they make a year? Outside the Blizzard RTSes, the best selling RTSes came out 20 years ago. keep in mind, when I say RTS, I mean your traditional base building RTS. You have Total War & Relic which have their own niche RTSes. But very few can actually flourish and make an RTS that goes big.

I think RTSes very similarities with fighting games, but I don't think fighting games are "successors" to RTS, they're completely independent of eachother. Fighting games have experienced the problems I described above, however unlike the RTS, fighting game developers are better at surviving in this industry, even if they dont get big sales (outside of Smash)
"You guys are just edgelords. Embrace your inner weeb desu" -Zergneedsfood
TL+ Member
_Spartak_
Profile Joined October 2013
Turkey460 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-08-23 20:54:30
August 23 2016 20:52 GMT
#464
They used the term "hardcore" to differentiate it from casual mobile games because if you say you are making a browser-based RTS, people could think of games like Clash of Clans. They meant they were making a full-fledged PC game even if it was only browser based, it didn't mean they were going to make a game that targets a very small portion of gamers. They said it from the start that their plan was to make a more accessible RTS while keeping it competitive.
Endymion
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United States3701 Posts
August 23 2016 20:53 GMT
#465
i still think it's the developers that are shrinking not the market itself.. we'll see how well bwhd sells i guess. i meant that they're successors in that if you enjoy BW, the next best thing that will reward your competitive skillset is guilty gear or SF or BB, other than something like poker
Have you considered the MMO-Champion forum? You are just as irrational and delusional with the right portion of nostalgic populism. By the way: The old Brood War was absolutely unplayable
The_Red_Viper
Profile Blog Joined August 2013
19533 Posts
August 23 2016 21:27 GMT
#466
https://guardiansofatlas.com/units/warp-drone

Arbiter recall in the game
IU | Sohyang || There is no God and we are his prophets | For if ‘Thou mayest’—it is also true that ‘Thou mayest not.” | Ignorance is the parent of fear |
TokO
Profile Joined July 2011
Norway577 Posts
August 23 2016 21:32 GMT
#467
Fans of reavers might also like this unit: https://guardiansofatlas.com/units/dredgecrawler
The_Red_Viper
Profile Blog Joined August 2013
19533 Posts
August 23 2016 21:35 GMT
#468
haha no shame :D I love it though^^
IU | Sohyang || There is no God and we are his prophets | For if ‘Thou mayest’—it is also true that ‘Thou mayest not.” | Ignorance is the parent of fear |
Hider
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Denmark9448 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-08-23 22:24:56
August 23 2016 22:15 GMT
#469
I've enjoyed my 2 months with it, and it's actually improved rapidly during that time. I think some of you critics are underestimating the number of experiments and iterations this game went through, and that is why it took so long. You can hold that against this team, or you can see it as part of their determination and passion or anything else.


I can't even phantom how anyone would criticize this game without having seen or played it. I will also say that it definitely seems better now than what it was a few months ago, but personally I still have big problems with some aspects of the game (and these are related to micro and not macro).
Atimo
Profile Joined March 2012
France38 Posts
August 23 2016 22:18 GMT
#470
Can you develop Hider ? what do you think is wrong ?
The_Red_Viper
Profile Blog Joined August 2013
19533 Posts
August 23 2016 22:20 GMT
#471
I guess we will need to wait till open alpha/beta (whatever you wanna call it) for more details.
Hopefully a lot of people on tl actually try it and discuss it, should be fun!
IU | Sohyang || There is no God and we are his prophets | For if ‘Thou mayest’—it is also true that ‘Thou mayest not.” | Ignorance is the parent of fear |
Hider
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Denmark9448 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-08-23 22:30:32
August 23 2016 22:21 GMT
#472
On August 24 2016 07:18 Atimo wrote:
Can you develop Hider ? what do you think is wrong ?


I say my two favourite games of all time are probably LOL and Sc2 (it's close - I also really like CS:GO and don't play LOL anymore since its tilt-inducing).

In LOL I absolutely love playing assasins, hyper ADC carries with lots of kiting and I very much enjoy casting skillshots and trying to dodge them.

In Sc2 I love playing multitask-based units with lots of mobility that are very microable (such as Marines and using Medivacs. Also like playing an "action-packed" mech style).

I obviously can't go into further specifics with regards to Atlas, but from my brief experiences with the game I didn't feel like it recreated the things I like about Sc2 and LOL.
Atimo
Profile Joined March 2012
France38 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-08-23 22:38:50
August 23 2016 22:34 GMT
#473
Ah ok I see, for me the war3 battles were the best cause no deathball, looooonnnng engagement, lots of last second move and very skill rewarding, never felt this way in SC2 at master level. ( so I switched to macro and multi task style of play but it was not the same)

I then play dota II and it was very good but the soloQ was a bit frustrating. Now I play CS: GO with friends and it's very fun. (kinda like you in fact)

However I really miss these epic battle from the war3 days, I hope GoA will bring these back.

On August 24 2016 07:20 The_Red_Viper wrote:
I guess we will need to wait till open alpha/beta (whatever you wanna call it) for more details.
Hopefully a lot of people on tl actually try it and discuss it, should be fun!


Can't wait for this ! Now I'm so excited I try to learn unit abilities before I can play, Last time I did this was with the AoE II tree of tech when I was 11 haha
The_Red_Viper
Profile Blog Joined August 2013
19533 Posts
August 23 2016 22:42 GMT
#474
So far i kinda like what i am reading on their website, i already found the lurker as well :D
Imo this "choose some units at the start of the game" mechanic is quite interesting as it potentially allows for a lot of different playstyles and also a lot of different units per hero/fraction.
The only thing i am kinda upset about is that there doesn't seem to be a 1vs1 mode.

But hey in a 3vs3 you should be able to kinda carry if it's designed that way (which i hope it is)
IU | Sohyang || There is no God and we are his prophets | For if ‘Thou mayest’—it is also true that ‘Thou mayest not.” | Ignorance is the parent of fear |
KeksX
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Germany3634 Posts
August 23 2016 22:50 GMT
#475
I completely forgot that they actually described themselves as a "hardcore RTS" at the announcement. Point is pretty valid; it's not a hardcore RTS or at least nothing you would expect under that name.
Atimo
Profile Joined March 2012
France38 Posts
August 23 2016 22:56 GMT
#476
On August 24 2016 07:42 The_Red_Viper wrote:
So far i kinda like what i am reading on their website, i already found the lurker as well :D
Imo this "choose some units at the start of the game" mechanic is quite interesting as it potentially allows for a lot of different playstyles and also a lot of different units per hero/fraction.
The only thing i am kinda upset about is that there doesn't seem to be a 1vs1 mode.

But hey in a 3vs3 you should be able to kinda carry if it's designed that way (which i hope it is)


In war3 you could definitly carry a 3v3 but there was a "share units control" thing" which helped a lot ^^


FeyFey
Profile Joined September 2010
Germany10114 Posts
August 23 2016 23:22 GMT
#477
I must remember warcraft 3 wrong. Wasn't every race about deathballs ? x.x I only remember splitting of heroes or for camps.
But never seen alot of army splitting to attack 2 spots since usually there was only one spot to attack anyway.
Atimo
Profile Joined March 2012
France38 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-08-23 23:35:51
August 23 2016 23:35 GMT
#478
I think maybe we don't have the same definition of deathball, for me in SC2 a deathball is a very powerfull army which deals a very large amount of damage in a very short time without any individual micro

In war 3 there were no "balls" you didn't split your army often but every unit had its role to play in a battle and was microed individually.
Hider
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Denmark9448 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-08-23 23:52:22
August 23 2016 23:51 GMT
#479
On August 24 2016 08:35 Atimo wrote:
I think maybe we don't have the same definition of deathball, for me in SC2 a deathball is a very powerfull army which deals a very large amount of damage in a very short time without any individual micro

In war 3 there were no "balls" you didn't split your army often but every unit had its role to play in a battle and was microed individually.


Deathball normally refers to both. When a big ball of units that can be a-moved efficiently and your not rewarded for multitasking.

In LOTV, I don't think its relevant to talk to talk about deathballing anymore since multitasking/harass is almost always rewarded.
nighcol
Profile Joined January 2012
298 Posts
August 24 2016 07:19 GMT
#480
The trailer wasn't really great at building excitement but this does seem very interesting even if it isn't a traditional RTS. I think a dotalike crossover like this could be much more interesting to me than Dota 2/LoL. Hoping to check it out if I've got the hardware.
Prev 1 22 23 24 25 26 63 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM1301
TKL 435
IndyStarCraft 285
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 1301
ByuN 538
TKL 435
IndyStarCraft 285
Reynor 180
BRAT_OK 53
EmSc Tv 8
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 31323
Calm 2643
Shuttle 380
Mini 156
White-Ra 121
firebathero 105
Mong 61
scan(afreeca) 17
soO 17
Sacsri 5
Dota 2
Gorgc9127
Counter-Strike
fl0m2984
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3523
Liquid`Hasu463
MindelVK6
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi2304
FrodaN1523
B2W.Neo796
olofmeister617
Khaldor486
Beastyqt258
Livibee177
crisheroes168
Mew2King73
ToD52
kaitlyn27
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick440
BasetradeTV214
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 8
EmSc2Tv 8
angryscii 0
[ Show 20 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hinosc 28
• Adnapsc2 9
• Reevou 7
• niya90s 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach63
• Azhi_Dahaki22
• blackmanpl 22
• 80smullet 8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV641
Other Games
• imaqtpie1001
• Shiphtur696
• tFFMrPink 11
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
24m
BSL Open Qualifier
24m
OSC
4h 24m
Replay Cast
4h 24m
OSC
17h 24m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 16h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.