• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:19
CEST 12:19
KST 19:19
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War445.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
TL Sidebar missing streams BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9309 users

TL Chess Match 4 - Page 23

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 21 22 23 24 25 140 Next
Malli
Profile Joined September 2005
Germany138 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-12 07:05:51
August 12 2011 06:58 GMT
#441
Bb5

+ Show Spoiler +
Just dont like the Italian (played it too often and got sick of it). Ruy Lopez is the way to go!
The Scotch seems quite interesting though my knowledge of it is limited.
gg no re
Cyber_Cheese
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Australia3615 Posts
August 12 2011 10:40 GMT
#442
i'd like to be taken off the list of votes please, but if you dont mind informing me when it ends i'd like to see how it turned out
The moment you lose confidence in yourself, is the moment the world loses it's confidence in you.
timh
Profile Joined December 2010
Netherlands47 Posts
August 12 2011 11:16 GMT
#443
+ Show Spoiler +
it's not all about tempo, it's also about positioning. I'd rather see a somewhat 'rare' line than a standard line so we can make use of our masses. I stand by my point, I would love to see 3. c3 we still have a lot of options but yes Nc3 isn't one of them.
enigmaticcam
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States280 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-12 16:38:45
August 12 2011 15:38 GMT
#444
3. Bb5

+ Show Spoiler +
Bb5, Nc3, Bc4, d4 are all sound openings. It's all theory, and it's all preference still. No need to over analyze the position yet.

Except for 3. c3. After 3...Nf6, white has all sorts of problems.
aphorism
Profile Joined February 2011
United States226 Posts
August 12 2011 16:04 GMT
#445
3. Bc4
Varpulis
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States2517 Posts
August 12 2011 16:12 GMT
#446
3. Bb5

+ Show Spoiler +
Most of my chess experience is casual games with friends, and almost every time I open 1.e4 we end up playing the spanish torture. It's where i'm most comfortable, and can be most helpful
For he is the Oystermeister, lord of all the oysters.
TNT0677
Profile Joined August 2011
United States5 Posts
August 12 2011 16:19 GMT
#447
I just joined the site due to this forum. If I still can I would like to join in on this game, is it to late to join?
Life's fun, to bad I don't get the joke.
Chezus
Profile Joined January 2011
Netherlands427 Posts
August 12 2011 16:34 GMT
#448
3. D4
+ Show Spoiler +

Scotch opening! And then preferably into Scotch gambit. (3. ... xD4, 4. Bc4)
hypercube
Profile Joined April 2010
Hungary2735 Posts
August 12 2011 16:58 GMT
#449
On August 12 2011 07:52 Babyfactory wrote:
3. Bc4

+ Show Spoiler +
There is a lot of potential in this move, depending on his response. If he continues to play standard (3. ... Bc5) then to avoid quiet and passive play we should follow up with 4. d4 as this will get the ball rolling to a very dynamic position after 4. ... Bxd4 5. Nxd4 Nxd4 6. 0-0 which will allow us to play 7. f4 or 7. Bg5 to begin an attack. He could also play 4 ... exd4 to which we should be delighted to have the opportunity to push e5 and transposition in to an interesting attack of the Scotch or even the ability to transpose to the Scotch Gambit with 5. c3.


+ Show Spoiler +
I'm going to play Bc4 more often and use these lines against Bc5. Thanks.
I'll probably still vote for d4 though.
"Sending people in rockets to other planets is a waste of money better spent on sending rockets into people on this planet."
noclaninator
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada19 Posts
August 12 2011 19:48 GMT
#450
On August 13 2011 01:19 TNT0677 wrote:
I just joined the site due to this forum. If I still can I would like to join in on this game, is it to late to join?


No, I joined move two. Post your move.
My country is the world and my religion is to do good.
Snarfs
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada1006 Posts
August 12 2011 19:55 GMT
#451
3. Bc4
TNT0677
Profile Joined August 2011
United States5 Posts
August 13 2011 04:33 GMT
#452
Bb5
+ Show Spoiler +
I really like this move, but only followed by BxN. I feel that trading bishops for knights in a Spanish open is going to beneficial as ideally we will enter the mid-game with a strong center and a closed board meaning that Knights become slightly better than there bishop counterpart.
Life's fun, to bad I don't get the joke.
Xaerkar
Profile Joined January 2011
United States230 Posts
August 13 2011 04:49 GMT
#453
Bb5
+ Show Spoiler +
Ruy Lopez has the most variations, so there will be more community involvement and debate as to which transition to go towards. Thus the chess match will be more exciting!
IamTheArchitect
Profile Joined June 2011
United States46 Posts
August 13 2011 04:52 GMT
#454
Bb5

+ Show Spoiler +



Because while I've favored Bc4 quite often in my career, it's probably too drawish against someone with a day to decide. Spanish game has much more potential for excitement.

Concordantly while your first question may seem the most pertinent, you may or may not realize it is also that most irrelevant.
Navillus
Profile Joined February 2011
United States1188 Posts
August 13 2011 05:04 GMT
#455
Bb5
+ Show Spoiler +
I like ruy lopez
"TL gives excellent advice 99% of the time. The problem is no one listens to it." -Plexa
Ikari
Profile Joined April 2007
United States176 Posts
August 13 2011 07:08 GMT
#456
3. Bb5
God Mode: Alt+F4
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
August 13 2011 07:42 GMT
#457
Just woke up a while ago to a nice Saturday morning. I could finally sleep through the night without problems.

One of the new features I was talking about earlier was actually raised by qrs. He told me it was intriguing to see the distribution of moves based on their place (destination square) on the board.

What I recognized is he used space file-by-file. What I plan to do is an Excel diagram based on the distribution like that, but instead of file-by-file I want to order it based on 'taxicab' distance from the a1 square.

That can be an amusing addition to the normal pie-diagram. I also want to add two pies, one which only counts the moves themselves and one that includes a section 'dedicated' to the people who didn't vote that round.

I will get down to it later. I don't really plan to add more date, honoring the old phrase 'sometimes more is less', but if you have other ideas, please feel free to post them or PM them to me.

If I haven't replied to your PMs yet, I will also do so this weekend, so brace yourself.

I'm trying to research lines that I personally haven't played before. That's close to impossible, so I'm trying to find variations I've never played much or at least not with excessive analysis done in it from my half. I want to take the opportunity to get back into working on my preparations once again and stop being lazy about chess.

<3

me
chesshaha
Profile Joined March 2010
United States1117 Posts
August 13 2011 12:08 GMT
#458
3. Bb5

+ Show Spoiler +

Since we choose to play this opening, this is the only logical move for this position.
"Hopefully you're not the real TLO so it's not casted" - SpecialK
Miles_Edgeworth
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States141 Posts
August 13 2011 14:32 GMT
#459
3. Bb5
jdseemoreglass
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States3773 Posts
August 13 2011 17:10 GMT
#460
On August 13 2011 21:08 chesshaha wrote:
3. Bb5

Since we choose to play this opening, this is the only logical move for this position.


lol...

The only logical move?

...

lol
"If you want this forum to be full of half-baked philosophy discussions between pompous faggots like yourself forever, stay the course captain vanilla" - FakeSteve[TPR], 2006
Prev 1 21 22 23 24 25 140 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Big Brain Bouts
19:00
#129
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
RotterdaM438
IndyStarCraft 49
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 402
Lowko192
IndyStarCraft 49
MindelVK 11
StarCraft: Brood War
Free 3652
Stork 2513
Horang2 412
Jaedong 385
Soulkey 380
Zeus 369
Larva 265
Mini 244
Soma 220
BeSt 155
[ Show more ]
sorry 81
Mind 72
ZerO 65
Hyun 57
Pusan 56
Sexy 53
Last 42
Shinee 32
soO 32
scan(afreeca) 26
ajuk12(nOOB) 19
Sacsri 10
zelot 9
Dota 2
XcaliburYe311
canceldota52
League of Legends
JimRising 442
Other Games
gofns37259
singsing1965
Coldzera 692
Happy329
byalli232
Pyrionflax210
ZerO(Twitch)11
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV215
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 28
• StrangeGG 11
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV284
• lizZardDota2242
League of Legends
• Jankos3463
Upcoming Events
Online Event
1h 41m
AI Arena Tournament
6h 41m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
8h 41m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
23h 41m
Patches Events
1d 4h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 8h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 8h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
6 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.