• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:11
CEST 13:11
KST 20:11
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach3[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon103
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6987 users

Magic: The Gathering - Page 603

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 601 602 603 604 605 665 Next
dudeman001
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States2412 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-05-01 22:57:27
May 01 2015 22:56 GMT
#12041
I'm trying to force Ghastly Conscription to work lol. I'm also trying to keep it to Khans block cards, so that's the reason for the lack of temples. Here's the decklist I've come up with:

+ Show Spoiler +

Creatures: 24
4x Den Protector
4x Grim Haruspex
4x Icefeather Aven
4x Ruthless Ripper
4x Simulgar Assassin
4x Sultai Emissary

Instant: 4
4x Sultai Charm

Sorcery: 3
3x Ghastly Conscription

Artifact: 3
3x Ghostfire Blade

Enchantment: 4
4x Trail of Mystery

Lands: 22
5x Forest
3x Island
8x Swamp
2x Jungle Hollow
2x Opulent Palace
2x Tomb of the Spirit Dragon

Statistically suggested land base: 11 black, 7 green, 4 blue

Cards that I've been debating to add/subtract have been Stratus Dancer, Courser of Kruphix, Qarsi High Priest, Qarsi Deceiver, Secret Plans and Obscuring AEther. Naturally I know adding bombs like Deathmist Raptor and Whisperwood Elementary would always be nice, but if anyone has some ideas on optimizing the deck's strategy until I get my hands on those bombs would be greatly appreciated : D

Also should I cut the non basic lands all together due to the fetching nature of Trail of Mystery? Or should I still include some Polluted Deltas and maybe even splash in a bit of delve? Or keep it as-is. Since nobody in their right mind runs a bizzare card like Ghastly Conscription I haven't found any comparable decks so I'm open to any kinds of tinkering.
Sup.
Whole
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States6046 Posts
May 02 2015 08:38 GMT
#12042
You should keep the non basics. If your concern is every about running out of basics to fetch...well that means you don't really need anymore. Also if you're Sultai, you should max out on Deltas.
annedeman
Profile Joined March 2011
Netherlands350 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-05-02 13:37:49
May 02 2015 13:36 GMT
#12043
tomb of the spirit dragon is definatly not worth in a 3 colour deck(even one defined by morphs), paying 3 mana to gain a trivial amount is extremely unexciting and certainly not worth making sacrifices to your mana base, getting some delta's+4 opulent palaces seems advicable.
RAIN!!!, MMA!!,Innovation!!,Parting!!
Draconicfire
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada2562 Posts
May 03 2015 13:25 GMT
#12044
Anyone know how much a foil Japanese Dragonlord Dromoka would go for?

The store randomly had some Japanese packs today so I decided to grab those for my prizes and apparently it was a good choice.
@Drayxs | Drayxs.221 | Drayxs#1802
RoieTRS
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States2569 Posts
May 03 2015 15:02 GMT
#12045
http://legendstech.tumblr.com/post/117807127391/the-magic-the-gathering-pro-tour-sucks
Once you embrace the misconceptions and contradictions, this is a fun article.
konadora, in Racenilatr's blog: "you need to stop thinking about starcraft or anything computer-related for that matter. It's becoming a bad addiction imo"
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
May 03 2015 17:51 GMT
#12046
Thinking about running a G/W deck for now based around Collected Company because that card seems awesome.
MoonBear
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Straight outta Johto18973 Posts
May 03 2015 18:37 GMT
#12047
On May 04 2015 00:02 RoieTRS wrote:
http://legendstech.tumblr.com/post/117807127391/the-magic-the-gathering-pro-tour-sucks
Once you embrace the misconceptions and contradictions, this is a fun article.

I had a lot of difficulty reading this and I couldn't figure out what the author was trying to get at tbh. Does someone mind explaining it to me?

On May 04 2015 02:51 deth2munkies wrote:
Thinking about running a G/W deck for now based around Collected Company because that card seems awesome.

Anafenza is cute but the WW requirement does stretch you quite hard. Not being able to hit the right colour lands is actually quite harsh since all your 3-drops have a WW or GG requirement which you can'y always hit on curve. Not sure what the best way to address te clunky nature is though. Cause in order to fix the mana you're playing Courser of Kruphix over something that beats face harder like Boon Satyr.
ModeratorA dream. Do you have one that has cursed you like that? Or maybe... a wish?
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-05-03 19:17:40
May 03 2015 19:15 GMT
#12048
On May 04 2015 03:37 MoonBear wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 04 2015 00:02 RoieTRS wrote:
http://legendstech.tumblr.com/post/117807127391/the-magic-the-gathering-pro-tour-sucks
Once you embrace the misconceptions and contradictions, this is a fun article.

I had a lot of difficulty reading this and I couldn't figure out what the author was trying to get at tbh. Does someone mind explaining it to me?

Show nested quote +
On May 04 2015 02:51 deth2munkies wrote:
Thinking about running a G/W deck for now based around Collected Company because that card seems awesome.

Anafenza is cute but the WW requirement does stretch you quite hard. Not being able to hit the right colour lands is actually quite harsh since all your 3-drops have a WW or GG requirement which you can'y always hit on curve. Not sure what the best way to address te clunky nature is though. Cause in order to fix the mana you're playing Courser of Kruphix over something that beats face harder like Boon Satyr.


To be fair, literally half the lands in the deck produce both colors.

The other 2 options are G/B so I have Deathdealer and Herald of Torment plus a spot for Boon Satyr OR just go mono green and toss in some Surraks for the highend. It leans a lot on Collected Company to get Anafenza into play, though I'm not 100% clear on the ruling about whether getting her in lets her trigger off the other one coming in off Company (guessing no).

It's possible I just want to cut Anafenza and Brimaz altogether and just go with Boon Satyr and Heir of the Wilds or something. Going full Abzan would be pointless because I wouldn't be able to play sets of Abzan Charm, Downfall, or Thoughtseize because I lose creature density for Company.

The real point of this deck is to flood the board just as fast as a deck like red does, but with better creatures.
xAdra
Profile Joined July 2012
Singapore1858 Posts
May 03 2015 19:32 GMT
#12049
I really don't know if this is the place to ask it (first time participating in this thread) but I'm a relatively new MTG player and I'm hoping to make an R/B deck that plays to Kolaghan's strengths. I have Thunderbreak Regents so ideally I'd use those too. Any other strong cards that you can recommend me to have?
Thieving Magpie
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States6752 Posts
May 03 2015 20:00 GMT
#12050
On May 04 2015 04:32 xAdra wrote:
I really don't know if this is the place to ask it (first time participating in this thread) but I'm a relatively new MTG player and I'm hoping to make an R/B deck that plays to Kolaghan's strengths. I have Thunderbreak Regents so ideally I'd use those too. Any other strong cards that you can recommend me to have?


What, in your opinion, is Kolaghan's Strengths? This is important in helping you designed a deck you'd enjoy playing as opposed to what other people perceive that you enjoy playing.
Hark, what baseball through yonder window breaks?
MoonBear
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Straight outta Johto18973 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-05-03 23:19:53
May 03 2015 22:00 GMT
#12051
On May 04 2015 04:15 deth2munkies wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 04 2015 03:37 MoonBear wrote:
On May 04 2015 00:02 RoieTRS wrote:
http://legendstech.tumblr.com/post/117807127391/the-magic-the-gathering-pro-tour-sucks
Once you embrace the misconceptions and contradictions, this is a fun article.

I had a lot of difficulty reading this and I couldn't figure out what the author was trying to get at tbh. Does someone mind explaining it to me?

On May 04 2015 02:51 deth2munkies wrote:
Thinking about running a G/W deck for now based around Collected Company because that card seems awesome.

Anafenza is cute but the WW requirement does stretch you quite hard. Not being able to hit the right colour lands is actually quite harsh since all your 3-drops have a WW or GG requirement which you can'y always hit on curve. Not sure what the best way to address te clunky nature is though. Cause in order to fix the mana you're playing Courser of Kruphix over something that beats face harder like Boon Satyr.


To be fair, literally half the lands in the deck produce both colors.

The other 2 options are G/B so I have Deathdealer and Herald of Torment plus a spot for Boon Satyr OR just go mono green and toss in some Surraks for the highend. It leans a lot on Collected Company to get Anafenza into play, though I'm not 100% clear on the ruling about whether getting her in lets her trigger off the other one coming in off Company (guessing no).

It's possible I just want to cut Anafenza and Brimaz altogether and just go with Boon Satyr and Heir of the Wilds or something. Going full Abzan would be pointless because I wouldn't be able to play sets of Abzan Charm, Downfall, or Thoughtseize because I lose creature density for Company.

The real point of this deck is to flood the board just as fast as a deck like red does, but with better creatures.

That's fair, but main the issue with the double colour cost 3 drops is that you stumble trying to play them on curve consistently. While TappedOut says the majority of your deck is 2-drops, it's not quite true because Dromoka's Command is not something you play on T2. Your deck is mainly 3-drops so it's super crucial to hit the 3 mana on time. Otherwise your plays are super lackluster. I don't really know what the answer is here but that's the biggest weakness atm.

That being said Anafenza -> Brimaz -> Raptor/Den engine is a pretty nut draw if you land it.


EDIT: Craig Wescoe's deck in the Top 8 from GP Toronto is pretty spicy and worth looking at for GW Aggro with Collected Company.
ModeratorA dream. Do you have one that has cursed you like that? Or maybe... a wish?
dudeman001
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States2412 Posts
May 03 2015 23:36 GMT
#12052
On May 02 2015 07:56 dudeman001 wrote:
I'm trying to force Ghastly Conscription to work lol. I'm also trying to keep it to Khans block cards, so that's the reason for the lack of temples. Here's the decklist I've come up with:

+ Show Spoiler +

Creatures: 24
4x Den Protector
4x Grim Haruspex
4x Icefeather Aven
4x Ruthless Ripper
4x Simulgar Assassin
4x Sultai Emissary

Instant: 4
4x Sultai Charm

Sorcery: 3
3x Ghastly Conscription

Artifact: 3
3x Ghostfire Blade

Enchantment: 4
4x Trail of Mystery

Lands: 22
5x Forest
3x Island
8x Swamp
2x Jungle Hollow
2x Opulent Palace
2x Tomb of the Spirit Dragon

Statistically suggested land base: 11 black, 7 green, 4 blue

Cards that I've been debating to add/subtract have been Stratus Dancer, Courser of Kruphix, Qarsi High Priest, Qarsi Deceiver, Secret Plans and Obscuring AEther. Naturally I know adding bombs like Deathmist Raptor and Whisperwood Elementary would always be nice, but if anyone has some ideas on optimizing the deck's strategy until I get my hands on those bombs would be greatly appreciated : D

Also should I cut the non basic lands all together due to the fetching nature of Trail of Mystery? Or should I still include some Polluted Deltas and maybe even splash in a bit of delve? Or keep it as-is. Since nobody in their right mind runs a bizzare card like Ghastly Conscription I haven't found any comparable decks so I'm open to any kinds of tinkering.

Ran this deck this Sunday for some Sunday magic after replacing the ghostfire blades with Obscuring Aether. It worked surprisingly well, went 2-1 beating an Esper dragon deck But damn, Blood-Chin Rager is murder in warrior aggro decks.
Sup.
Whole
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States6046 Posts
May 04 2015 00:25 GMT
#12053
On May 04 2015 03:37 MoonBear wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 04 2015 00:02 RoieTRS wrote:
http://legendstech.tumblr.com/post/117807127391/the-magic-the-gathering-pro-tour-sucks
Once you embrace the misconceptions and contradictions, this is a fun article.

I had a lot of difficulty reading this and I couldn't figure out what the author was trying to get at tbh. Does someone mind explaining it to me?


I had the same problem interpreting the article. Like I just don't understand why he plays Magic if he is this cynical about it...a psychological addiction or something? (Also I think he is in the top 8 of this weekends SCG Open)
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
May 04 2015 00:36 GMT
#12054
On May 04 2015 07:00 MoonBear wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 04 2015 04:15 deth2munkies wrote:
On May 04 2015 03:37 MoonBear wrote:
On May 04 2015 00:02 RoieTRS wrote:
http://legendstech.tumblr.com/post/117807127391/the-magic-the-gathering-pro-tour-sucks
Once you embrace the misconceptions and contradictions, this is a fun article.

I had a lot of difficulty reading this and I couldn't figure out what the author was trying to get at tbh. Does someone mind explaining it to me?

On May 04 2015 02:51 deth2munkies wrote:
Thinking about running a G/W deck for now based around Collected Company because that card seems awesome.

Anafenza is cute but the WW requirement does stretch you quite hard. Not being able to hit the right colour lands is actually quite harsh since all your 3-drops have a WW or GG requirement which you can'y always hit on curve. Not sure what the best way to address te clunky nature is though. Cause in order to fix the mana you're playing Courser of Kruphix over something that beats face harder like Boon Satyr.


To be fair, literally half the lands in the deck produce both colors.

The other 2 options are G/B so I have Deathdealer and Herald of Torment plus a spot for Boon Satyr OR just go mono green and toss in some Surraks for the highend. It leans a lot on Collected Company to get Anafenza into play, though I'm not 100% clear on the ruling about whether getting her in lets her trigger off the other one coming in off Company (guessing no).

It's possible I just want to cut Anafenza and Brimaz altogether and just go with Boon Satyr and Heir of the Wilds or something. Going full Abzan would be pointless because I wouldn't be able to play sets of Abzan Charm, Downfall, or Thoughtseize because I lose creature density for Company.

The real point of this deck is to flood the board just as fast as a deck like red does, but with better creatures.

That's fair, but main the issue with the double colour cost 3 drops is that you stumble trying to play them on curve consistently. While TappedOut says the majority of your deck is 2-drops, it's not quite true because Dromoka's Command is not something you play on T2. Your deck is mainly 3-drops so it's super crucial to hit the 3 mana on time. Otherwise your plays are super lackluster. I don't really know what the answer is here but that's the biggest weakness atm.

That being said Anafenza -> Brimaz -> Raptor/Den engine is a pretty nut draw if you land it.


EDIT: Craig Wescoe's deck in the Top 8 from GP Toronto is pretty spicy and worth looking at for GW Aggro with Collected Company.


Even in testing my deck I rarely hit 2 creatures with Collected Company and I'm playing 6 more than him. I do think 4 Warden is wrong after testing a bit with it, but I'm not sure 1 is right either.

Then again, he made T8 of a GP and I haven't.
MoonBear
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Straight outta Johto18973 Posts
May 04 2015 00:46 GMT
#12055
On May 04 2015 09:36 deth2munkies wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 04 2015 07:00 MoonBear wrote:
On May 04 2015 04:15 deth2munkies wrote:
On May 04 2015 03:37 MoonBear wrote:
On May 04 2015 00:02 RoieTRS wrote:
http://legendstech.tumblr.com/post/117807127391/the-magic-the-gathering-pro-tour-sucks
Once you embrace the misconceptions and contradictions, this is a fun article.

I had a lot of difficulty reading this and I couldn't figure out what the author was trying to get at tbh. Does someone mind explaining it to me?

On May 04 2015 02:51 deth2munkies wrote:
Thinking about running a G/W deck for now based around Collected Company because that card seems awesome.

Anafenza is cute but the WW requirement does stretch you quite hard. Not being able to hit the right colour lands is actually quite harsh since all your 3-drops have a WW or GG requirement which you can'y always hit on curve. Not sure what the best way to address te clunky nature is though. Cause in order to fix the mana you're playing Courser of Kruphix over something that beats face harder like Boon Satyr.


To be fair, literally half the lands in the deck produce both colors.

The other 2 options are G/B so I have Deathdealer and Herald of Torment plus a spot for Boon Satyr OR just go mono green and toss in some Surraks for the highend. It leans a lot on Collected Company to get Anafenza into play, though I'm not 100% clear on the ruling about whether getting her in lets her trigger off the other one coming in off Company (guessing no).

It's possible I just want to cut Anafenza and Brimaz altogether and just go with Boon Satyr and Heir of the Wilds or something. Going full Abzan would be pointless because I wouldn't be able to play sets of Abzan Charm, Downfall, or Thoughtseize because I lose creature density for Company.

The real point of this deck is to flood the board just as fast as a deck like red does, but with better creatures.

That's fair, but main the issue with the double colour cost 3 drops is that you stumble trying to play them on curve consistently. While TappedOut says the majority of your deck is 2-drops, it's not quite true because Dromoka's Command is not something you play on T2. Your deck is mainly 3-drops so it's super crucial to hit the 3 mana on time. Otherwise your plays are super lackluster. I don't really know what the answer is here but that's the biggest weakness atm.

That being said Anafenza -> Brimaz -> Raptor/Den engine is a pretty nut draw if you land it.


EDIT: Craig Wescoe's deck in the Top 8 from GP Toronto is pretty spicy and worth looking at for GW Aggro with Collected Company.


Even in testing my deck I rarely hit 2 creatures with Collected Company and I'm playing 6 more than him. I do think 4 Warden is wrong after testing a bit with it, but I'm not sure 1 is right either.

Then again, he made T8 of a GP and I haven't.

Yeah. Warden seemed rather lack luster cause it's a one-drop that did nothing most of the time I goldfished (like you play it turn 1 and it just sits there super sad as a 1/1 for the next 7 turns cause you're too busy trying to hit your 3-drops). It's a nice mana sink late game though.

I can't remember the math I relied on for designed with Collected Company in Modern, but iirc you have 80+% chance to hit at least 2 creatrues with it if you're running 28 creatures and even with 26 it's still like 60+%? But even if you hit only 1 it's still great cause you get to dig 6 cards deep, pick out a creature, and then clear the other 5 cards worth of chaff away. Also if you play it on your opponent's end step your creatures get pseudo-haste but you still have all your lands untapped for combat tricks and stuff and since you've cleared the 5 useless cards you're fairly likely to draw gas.
ModeratorA dream. Do you have one that has cursed you like that? Or maybe... a wish?
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-05-04 04:05:48
May 04 2015 03:49 GMT
#12056
Yeah, I think I have to lose some creature density. I went -3 Warden, -3 Anafenza +1 Brimaz, +1 Courser, +4 Valorous Stance.

I just couldn't beat Abzan if they played Anafenza and I didn't already have tons of stuff on board (or a monstrous fleecemane).
Thieving Magpie
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States6752 Posts
May 04 2015 14:50 GMT
#12057
On May 04 2015 09:46 MoonBear wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 04 2015 09:36 deth2munkies wrote:
On May 04 2015 07:00 MoonBear wrote:
On May 04 2015 04:15 deth2munkies wrote:
On May 04 2015 03:37 MoonBear wrote:
On May 04 2015 00:02 RoieTRS wrote:
http://legendstech.tumblr.com/post/117807127391/the-magic-the-gathering-pro-tour-sucks
Once you embrace the misconceptions and contradictions, this is a fun article.

I had a lot of difficulty reading this and I couldn't figure out what the author was trying to get at tbh. Does someone mind explaining it to me?

On May 04 2015 02:51 deth2munkies wrote:
Thinking about running a G/W deck for now based around Collected Company because that card seems awesome.

Anafenza is cute but the WW requirement does stretch you quite hard. Not being able to hit the right colour lands is actually quite harsh since all your 3-drops have a WW or GG requirement which you can'y always hit on curve. Not sure what the best way to address te clunky nature is though. Cause in order to fix the mana you're playing Courser of Kruphix over something that beats face harder like Boon Satyr.


To be fair, literally half the lands in the deck produce both colors.

The other 2 options are G/B so I have Deathdealer and Herald of Torment plus a spot for Boon Satyr OR just go mono green and toss in some Surraks for the highend. It leans a lot on Collected Company to get Anafenza into play, though I'm not 100% clear on the ruling about whether getting her in lets her trigger off the other one coming in off Company (guessing no).

It's possible I just want to cut Anafenza and Brimaz altogether and just go with Boon Satyr and Heir of the Wilds or something. Going full Abzan would be pointless because I wouldn't be able to play sets of Abzan Charm, Downfall, or Thoughtseize because I lose creature density for Company.

The real point of this deck is to flood the board just as fast as a deck like red does, but with better creatures.

That's fair, but main the issue with the double colour cost 3 drops is that you stumble trying to play them on curve consistently. While TappedOut says the majority of your deck is 2-drops, it's not quite true because Dromoka's Command is not something you play on T2. Your deck is mainly 3-drops so it's super crucial to hit the 3 mana on time. Otherwise your plays are super lackluster. I don't really know what the answer is here but that's the biggest weakness atm.

That being said Anafenza -> Brimaz -> Raptor/Den engine is a pretty nut draw if you land it.


EDIT: Craig Wescoe's deck in the Top 8 from GP Toronto is pretty spicy and worth looking at for GW Aggro with Collected Company.


Even in testing my deck I rarely hit 2 creatures with Collected Company and I'm playing 6 more than him. I do think 4 Warden is wrong after testing a bit with it, but I'm not sure 1 is right either.

Then again, he made T8 of a GP and I haven't.

Yeah. Warden seemed rather lack luster cause it's a one-drop that did nothing most of the time I goldfished (like you play it turn 1 and it just sits there super sad as a 1/1 for the next 7 turns cause you're too busy trying to hit your 3-drops). It's a nice mana sink late game though.

I can't remember the math I relied on for designed with Collected Company in Modern, but iirc you have 80+% chance to hit at least 2 creatrues with it if you're running 28 creatures and even with 26 it's still like 60+%? But even if you hit only 1 it's still great cause you get to dig 6 cards deep, pick out a creature, and then clear the other 5 cards worth of chaff away. Also if you play it on your opponent's end step your creatures get pseudo-haste but you still have all your lands untapped for combat tricks and stuff and since you've cleared the 5 useless cards you're fairly likely to draw gas.


The problem with Collected Company is not the number of creatures you hit, but the number of relevant creatures you hit.

Since you need at least 20 creatures--but realistically 28-32--this has to be an aggressive creature deck. Running nothing but 3 drops is not efficient, so you run some one drops, some two drops, etc... Just so you can be on curve if you don't run the company.

But everytime you company and reveal less than four mana worth of creatures, you immedietely start to ask yourself "Why aren't I just casting Siege Rhino and get a Goyf + Lightning Helix instead of this crappy version of Bloodbraid Elf..."
Hark, what baseball through yonder window breaks?
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-05-04 18:40:35
May 04 2015 18:40 GMT
#12058
On May 04 2015 23:50 Thieving Magpie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 04 2015 09:46 MoonBear wrote:
On May 04 2015 09:36 deth2munkies wrote:
On May 04 2015 07:00 MoonBear wrote:
On May 04 2015 04:15 deth2munkies wrote:
On May 04 2015 03:37 MoonBear wrote:
On May 04 2015 00:02 RoieTRS wrote:
http://legendstech.tumblr.com/post/117807127391/the-magic-the-gathering-pro-tour-sucks
Once you embrace the misconceptions and contradictions, this is a fun article.

I had a lot of difficulty reading this and I couldn't figure out what the author was trying to get at tbh. Does someone mind explaining it to me?

On May 04 2015 02:51 deth2munkies wrote:
Thinking about running a G/W deck for now based around Collected Company because that card seems awesome.

Anafenza is cute but the WW requirement does stretch you quite hard. Not being able to hit the right colour lands is actually quite harsh since all your 3-drops have a WW or GG requirement which you can'y always hit on curve. Not sure what the best way to address te clunky nature is though. Cause in order to fix the mana you're playing Courser of Kruphix over something that beats face harder like Boon Satyr.


To be fair, literally half the lands in the deck produce both colors.

The other 2 options are G/B so I have Deathdealer and Herald of Torment plus a spot for Boon Satyr OR just go mono green and toss in some Surraks for the highend. It leans a lot on Collected Company to get Anafenza into play, though I'm not 100% clear on the ruling about whether getting her in lets her trigger off the other one coming in off Company (guessing no).

It's possible I just want to cut Anafenza and Brimaz altogether and just go with Boon Satyr and Heir of the Wilds or something. Going full Abzan would be pointless because I wouldn't be able to play sets of Abzan Charm, Downfall, or Thoughtseize because I lose creature density for Company.

The real point of this deck is to flood the board just as fast as a deck like red does, but with better creatures.

That's fair, but main the issue with the double colour cost 3 drops is that you stumble trying to play them on curve consistently. While TappedOut says the majority of your deck is 2-drops, it's not quite true because Dromoka's Command is not something you play on T2. Your deck is mainly 3-drops so it's super crucial to hit the 3 mana on time. Otherwise your plays are super lackluster. I don't really know what the answer is here but that's the biggest weakness atm.

That being said Anafenza -> Brimaz -> Raptor/Den engine is a pretty nut draw if you land it.


EDIT: Craig Wescoe's deck in the Top 8 from GP Toronto is pretty spicy and worth looking at for GW Aggro with Collected Company.


Even in testing my deck I rarely hit 2 creatures with Collected Company and I'm playing 6 more than him. I do think 4 Warden is wrong after testing a bit with it, but I'm not sure 1 is right either.

Then again, he made T8 of a GP and I haven't.

Yeah. Warden seemed rather lack luster cause it's a one-drop that did nothing most of the time I goldfished (like you play it turn 1 and it just sits there super sad as a 1/1 for the next 7 turns cause you're too busy trying to hit your 3-drops). It's a nice mana sink late game though.

I can't remember the math I relied on for designed with Collected Company in Modern, but iirc you have 80+% chance to hit at least 2 creatrues with it if you're running 28 creatures and even with 26 it's still like 60+%? But even if you hit only 1 it's still great cause you get to dig 6 cards deep, pick out a creature, and then clear the other 5 cards worth of chaff away. Also if you play it on your opponent's end step your creatures get pseudo-haste but you still have all your lands untapped for combat tricks and stuff and since you've cleared the 5 useless cards you're fairly likely to draw gas.


The problem with Collected Company is not the number of creatures you hit, but the number of relevant creatures you hit.

Since you need at least 20 creatures--but realistically 28-32--this has to be an aggressive creature deck. Running nothing but 3 drops is not efficient, so you run some one drops, some two drops, etc... Just so you can be on curve if you don't run the company.

But everytime you company and reveal less than four mana worth of creatures, you immedietely start to ask yourself "Why aren't I just casting Siege Rhino and get a Goyf + Lightning Helix instead of this crappy version of Bloodbraid Elf..."


Because I can cast it at instant speed and for 3G instead of 1GWB.
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
May 04 2015 22:56 GMT
#12059
Not sure if flash is better here for variance.
Get it by your hands...
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-05-04 23:09:37
May 04 2015 23:08 GMT
#12060
On May 05 2015 07:56 Judicator wrote:
Not sure if flash is better here for variance.

Well it's obviously not just that. Every deck in the format bar red is gunning for the Rhino with a variety of removal (Downfall, Stance, Purge, etc.) and red can usually get in under it. Playing Rhino on the draw plays directly into Crux whereas you can Company on the end of their turn T5 and still get a Fleecemane into play that you can monstrous on your turn. More threats are typically better than one big one right now, unless your big one happens to be Hexproof at least most of the time (Ojutai).

All this is not to mention that the 3 color manabases in this format are painful, which isn't good against the polarized control/fast aggro metagame right now. No place for a midrangey Rhino IMO.
Prev 1 601 602 603 604 605 665 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
11:00
WardiTV Mondays #106
IntoTheiNu 478
WardiTV169
Rex85
Liquipedia
Afreeca Starleague
10:00
Ro8 Match 3
Soma vs JaedongLIVE!
Afreeca ASL 17833
StarCastTV_EN410
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko321
mouzHeroMarine 317
ProTech132
Rex 85
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 12758
EffOrt 6429
BeSt 1898
ZerO 1296
Horang2 921
Hyuk 916
Larva 841
Hyun 290
Zeus 279
Stork 211
[ Show more ]
Light 205
Killer 199
Barracks 124
Rush 92
Mini 64
Yoon 60
ToSsGirL 42
ggaemo 37
Shinee 36
Bale 29
Terrorterran 22
PianO 22
Mong 22
Sacsri 21
sorry 12
ajuk12(nOOB) 11
Noble 8
HiyA 8
Dota 2
Dendi685
League of Legends
KnowMe41
Counter-Strike
byalli741
x6flipin90
Other Games
singsing1927
olofmeister1510
XaKoH 529
crisheroes257
Sick184
Pyrionflax140
ArmadaUGS43
Mew2King43
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream427
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 242
lovetv 9
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH290
• StrangeGG 28
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1775
Other Games
• WagamamaTV193
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
4h 49m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
22h 49m
Afreeca Starleague
22h 49m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 12h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 23h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.