• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:16
CEST 03:16
KST 10:16
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10238 users

Magic: The Gathering - Page 544

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 542 543 544 545 546 665 Next
mr_tolkien
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
France8631 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-06-17 16:11:49
June 17 2014 09:23 GMT
#10861
Hi guys,

I'm looking to seriously get into Modern but I lack the cards to playtest enough on MtGO. Does anybody on TL have a deep card pool and would be interested in lending me cards for money/tons of thanks + hours of streams ? :D
If not well I'll be back to playing Standard soon, Temple of Malady finally came back to a decent price.
The legend of Darien lives on
RoieTRS
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States2569 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-06-18 08:24:07
June 18 2014 08:21 GMT
#10862
The chicago grand prix is coming up soon. I've been playing mtg for about 1 month now, and I'm eager to see how well I will perform. Some guys here recommended r/w burn because its easy and 'wins games it isn't supposed to' so that's what I've been playing this month.

Right now I feel like my deck is optimized vs the guys at my local fnm and obviously the level of play is not going to be as high at fnm so I'm not feeling very confident about my decklist, even if it is the result of a lot of research.

+ Show Spoiler +

10 Mountain
4 r/w scryland
4 r/w shockland
3 Mutavault
2 Mana Confluence

4 Lightning Strike
4 Warleader's Helix
4 Magma Jet
4 Boros Charm
4 Skullcrack
3 Searing Blood
2 Shock
2 Harness by Force
2 Chained to the Rocks
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Firedancer Satyr

Sideboard
3 Young Pyromancer
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Eidolon Revel
4 Anger of the Gods


Any tips for my deck? Again, I'm taking it to the GP chicago.
btw I just take the loss game 1 against uw control
konadora, in Racenilatr's blog: "you need to stop thinking about starcraft or anything computer-related for that matter. It's becoming a bad addiction imo"
Whole
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States6046 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-06-19 07:08:11
June 18 2014 19:10 GMT
#10863
First off, R/W burn isn't easy and doesn't "win games it shouldn't" more than other decks. There are some builds (like yours...sort of?) that do pilot easily and will steal more games, but that is not the optimal way to play the deck. If you go against an opponent who is equipped to deal with burn, the all-in "easy" version will lose barring god hands. If you're looking for a deck that gets free wins, I'd suggest Boss Sligh, but even then, it probably isn't as easy to pilot as some people might think.

Okay, so you're build is very...bad. Maindeck Firedancer Satyr and maindeck Harness by Force would only be appropriate if Jund Monsters would be, by far, the most popular deck...except it is far from that. But you're also maindecking Searing Blood which is terrible against the deck. Also taking a game 1 loss against UW control is a terrible strategy considering how popular the deck is. The only reason burn is favored is because game 1 is so favored. Post board, the match up is much closer to 50/50. Basically, you want to cut maindeck for Firedancer for either Eidolon of the Great Revel or Young Pyromancer, Cut maindeck Harness by Force for 1 more Shock and 1 more Chained to the Rocks....as a starting point. 3/3/3 on Chained/Shock/Searing Blood is good for an open meta.

Now the choice between Eidolon of the Great Revel and Young Pyromancer significantly changes how you play your deck. Young Pyromancer aims for a much more controlling and grindy game while Eidolon is looking to race. I don't have experience with Eidolon, but I believe it is worse than Young Pyromancer. If you're interested in an Eidolon build, I can't really help you, but I think looking up an Eidolon build online will be a better choice than using your current list.

If you're interested in running Young Pyromancer, I'm currently a fan of this maindeck:

+ Show Spoiler +
Creatures
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Young Pyromancer

Spells
4 Boros Charm
4 Chained to the Rocks
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
1 Mizzium Mortars
4 Shock
4 Skullcrack
4 Wareader's Helix

Lands
2 Boros Guildgate
1 Mana Confluence
8 Mountain
3 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
1 Temple of Malice (could also be guildgate #3, or basic mountain)


Basically Searing Blood doesn't have a place right now, and with Jund and other mid range being more popular, Mizzium Mortars and Chained to the Rocks answer that perfectly while also being really good against Mono Black and other aggro decks. Admittedly, I'm not so sure on where I should be on sideboarding right now. From what I've been reading, this is where you want to be in terms of sideboard:

+ Show Spoiler +
Sideboard
2 Banishing Light
4 Boros Reckoner
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
3 Prophetic Flamespeaker
1 Reprisal
1 Mizzium Mortars
2 Wear // Tear


but this is my personal sideboard:

+ Show Spoiler [Personal Sideboard] +
Sideboard
1 Banishing Light
3 Keening Apparition
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
1 Brimaz
1 Fated Conflagration
2 Blind Obedience
3 Mizzium Mortars
1 Wear // Tear
1 Mutavault


Admittedly, it's because I haven't tested the sideboard that I've been reading about, but I plan on testing it soon, and will likely switch to it. Also my sideboard is tuned for my meta specifically, so keep that in mind also, and do the same for yours.

And lastly, don't run two mana Confluence. Sure it makes the mana smoother, but if you draw two against anything but control, you can outright lose the game because of it. Yea, it doesn't happen much, but randomly losing games from two Mana Confluence draws or having to mulligan double Confluence is very frustrating. Also, guild gates are pretty good with this deck because you're usually not playing anything turn 1, and can easily sculpt a curve around guild gates.

That's all I got for now.
Wolfstan
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada605 Posts
June 18 2014 20:09 GMT
#10864
I am finding deicide to be a sideboard all star as the upside seems bigger than wear/tear.
EG - ROOT - Gambit Gaming
Whole
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States6046 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-06-18 20:55:19
June 18 2014 20:55 GMT
#10865
Normally, I would agree, but I think the mana efficiency is crucial in burn. The only god that matters right now is Thassa, and she is the least of your worries when playing vs mono blue. Being able to turn 3 Young Pyro into Tear (on a Ram or random enchantment creature that mono black aggro could have) is huge or playing Phoenix (that you might've just bought back) and Tearing on 4 mana is also significant upside. These situations crop up much more often than killing random gods, and to be honest, I can't think of a single god that I care about.
Audemed
Profile Joined November 2010
United States893 Posts
June 19 2014 01:10 GMT
#10866
Eidolon of the great revel should always be main, and firedancer always side unless you're going into a known meta where it's bad. Also, spark trooper in the side has won me more games than I can count. Deicide is nice and flashy, but Wear//tear is better overall. Also, you *need* 4 chains in the 75, simply because fiendslayer and archangel are prevalent in sideboards. Harness by force is also a very poor mainboard card, although can cause extreme blowouts when brought in against the proper deck (any act can ofc, but strive is nice).
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -George Orwell
MCMcEmcee
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1609 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-06-19 06:24:13
June 19 2014 06:23 GMT
#10867
Eidolon or Pyromancer is a playstyle/preference thing. I think Eidolon sucks right now but your results may vary.
Firedancer has been awful every time I've played or played against it. Young Pyromancer and/or Searing Blood let you burn their guys out while still pressuring their life total without being 1/1s for 2.

Whole:
That's Shouta Yasooka's build, except you listed 59 cards (should be 4 Mutavaults). I've been playing it, his sideboard is pretty good. When adjusting it for an expected field, you really want to keep white cards to a minimum with only 9 white sources in the deck.
[iHs]MCMcEmcee@UFO | のヮの
Whole
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States6046 Posts
June 19 2014 07:13 GMT
#10868
yea, I should've credited it to him. I don't run 4 mutavaults, I run a 5th scryland over it. Found it to be too straining on the mana base.
RoieTRS
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States2569 Posts
June 19 2014 08:13 GMT
#10869
Ok thanks for the help.
Firedancer WRECKS everyone at fnm. I'm gonna do a lot of playtesting without firedancer though.
konadora, in Racenilatr's blog: "you need to stop thinking about starcraft or anything computer-related for that matter. It's becoming a bad addiction imo"
JazVM
Profile Joined October 2012
Germany1196 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-06-19 23:25:32
June 19 2014 23:22 GMT
#10870
I opened 11 VMA masters boosters so far and I got 1 Black Lotus, 1 Mox Sapphire, 1 Volcanic Island, 1 Force of Will, 1 Tundra and 1 Plateau. My luck is so insane. Had to get it off my heart somewhere.

Edit: I am not kidding.
mind mind mind mind mind mind
Whole
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States6046 Posts
June 19 2014 23:27 GMT
#10871
that's awesome. I only got a Mox Sapphire so far from my very first booster.
mr_tolkien
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
France8631 Posts
June 20 2014 12:40 GMT
#10872
I'm too scared to do VMA drafts atm because they're so expensive and I don't really know the format :/

I just keep losing in modern with U Tron xD
The legend of Darien lives on
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
June 20 2014 13:01 GMT
#10873
I did 5 8-4s and won 2 of them. Opened a Bazaar of Baghdad and Berserk, but that's about it.
Whole
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States6046 Posts
June 20 2014 13:15 GMT
#10874
On June 20 2014 21:40 mr_tolkien wrote:
I'm too scared to do VMA drafts atm because they're so expensive and I don't really know the format :/

I just keep losing in modern with U Tron xD

Honestly, I don't think it's worth it. (Well it is the best EV right now...but) All of my games were super lopsided. Basically, whoever got the most broken start wins. If a well drafted deck draws the right pieces, it will win. So basically, when you win, you feel like a fucking pro, but when you lose, you lose hard.

The best strategies seem to be U/G madness, U/x tempo (U/B is my favorite), and Red or Black all-in aggro. Tempo is such a huge player in the format. So, for me anyway, when blue signals aren't flowing to me, I feel like I'm just going to lose (unless I'm getting strong Goblin signals).

And then it is indeed expensive. I'm done free drafting off the mox (it is only 2 and a half drafts X_X), so I don't think I want to fire another one again. I was chaining drafts because I was doing fairly well in the format, then two losses later, I have 0 packs and only 40 or so tix (from 70 tix + some packs). That's just brutal.

It's pretty depressing because when you get a sweet deck, you have a lot of fun, but that might just be because you're dominating your enemy. And then of course when you lose, you feel really bad because you look and you just threw $25. I'm not in the position that I can freely dump $25 into MTGO once every few days.
mr_tolkien
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
France8631 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-06-20 16:10:37
June 20 2014 16:05 GMT
#10875
Stats disagree with you : http://www.mtggoldfish.com/limited/analysis/draft/vma_vma_vma

UG Madness is over-drafted because the archetype is obvious and people love UG in limited. W actually looks like the best color (by a pretty large margin) and R is pretty solid. The uncommon cycle archetype-defining cards are actually crazy good I think.

Storm looks like a noob trap from what I've seen. It's pretty much undraftable.

I'm really not sure about what I would P1P1 atm so I'll just continue watching drafts and simulating packs :p
The legend of Darien lives on
JazVM
Profile Joined October 2012
Germany1196 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-06-20 16:38:40
June 20 2014 16:37 GMT
#10876
I drafted this last night and it was a hell lot of fun to play. I am not sure I build it correctly but but I 4-0ed the quarter- and semifinals but then unfortunately lost the finals 1-2:
[image loading]
mind mind mind mind mind mind
Whole
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States6046 Posts
June 20 2014 20:17 GMT
#10877
On June 21 2014 01:05 mr_tolkien wrote:
Stats disagree with you : http://www.mtggoldfish.com/limited/analysis/draft/vma_vma_vma

UG Madness is over-drafted because the archetype is obvious and people love UG in limited. W actually looks like the best color (by a pretty large margin) and R is pretty solid. The uncommon cycle archetype-defining cards are actually crazy good I think.

Storm looks like a noob trap from what I've seen. It's pretty much undraftable.

I'm really not sure about what I would P1P1 atm so I'll just continue watching drafts and simulating packs :p


My last white deck was pretty strong and it felt extremely open, but it didn't feel cool I guess, so I overlooked it. I basically just made a bunch of dudes and attacked.
Sn0_Man
Profile Blog Joined October 2012
Tebellong44238 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-06-20 21:57:30
June 20 2014 21:11 GMT
#10878
On June 21 2014 01:37 JazVM wrote:
I drafted this last night and it was a hell lot of fun to play. I am not sure I build it correctly but but I 4-0ed the quarter- and semifinals but then unfortunately lost the finals 1-2:
[image loading]

May I ask why you splashed no less than 3 colours in a nicely streamlined red aggro deck?

Also why would you play a volcanic island when you have no blue cards lol.
LiquidDota StaffSCIENTISTS BAFFLED | 3275929302
Thieving Magpie
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States6752 Posts
June 21 2014 00:30 GMT
#10879
On June 21 2014 06:11 Sn0_Man wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 21 2014 01:37 JazVM wrote:
I drafted this last night and it was a hell lot of fun to play. I am not sure I build it correctly but but I 4-0ed the quarter- and semifinals but then unfortunately lost the finals 1-2:
[image loading]

May I ask why you splashed no less than 3 colours in a nicely streamlined red aggro deck?

Also why would you play a volcanic island when you have no blue cards lol.


Sick mind games!
Hark, what baseball through yonder window breaks?
Whole
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States6046 Posts
June 21 2014 13:29 GMT
#10880
Don't know about y'all, but I think Tom Ross's token is amazing.

[image loading]
Prev 1 542 543 544 545 546 665 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
09:00
#102
davetesta42
CranKy Ducklings8
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ByuN 246
CosmosSc2 81
RuFF_SC2 67
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1922
GuemChi 1323
Artosis 637
910 46
Bale 20
MaD[AoV]20
Dota 2
monkeys_forever286
LuMiX0
Counter-Strike
taco 341
minikerr14
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox855
Other Games
summit1g9000
JimRising 819
Day[9].tv754
shahzam679
C9.Mang0329
Trikslyr42
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick784
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream19
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Letter147
• Hinosc 6
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP4
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv754
• Shiphtur535
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
14h 44m
The PondCast
1d 8h
INu's Battles
1d 9h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 20h
Replay Cast
1d 21h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.