• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:23
CEST 08:23
KST 15:23
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20262Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7476 users

Magic: The Gathering - Page 533

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 531 532 533 534 535 665 Next
mr_tolkien
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
France8631 Posts
April 20 2014 17:45 GMT
#10641
3/0 in the BnG Standard Championship atm :D Are any other TLers playing it ?
The legend of Darien lives on
Thieving Magpie
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States6752 Posts
April 20 2014 18:15 GMT
#10642
On April 21 2014 02:18 deth2munkies wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 20 2014 13:38 Judicator wrote:
I am not saying there aren't those well designed cards, but its like when you draft, rarely are there enough deep enough to support multiple strategies. GB for example is about as generic as it gets in terms of play style. Your deck strategies aren't deep, they remind me more of core set drafts than not.

Memorable as in this card wouldn't exist any where else at its cost and effect. Like Curse is a great example, but it doesn't have defining characteristic of the block. That's the problem with a lot of the cards in this block. Like you have your great designed cards like Heroes Downfall and Curse but honestly if you changed the names to Homicide and Swinemorph would you still say the same thing? That's what I mean, either the cards have great flavor or they have great effects, rarely do you have both.

The Temples out of the block are probably the best, you scry at these places for guidance, and it's a pilgrimage so you spend time (hence the tapped ability). Ordeals are probably the second best, followed by the Gods.

Like I read cards like Asphyxiate and I just wonder what about the untapped requirement makes sense, same goes for destroy target tapped. The Fated cycle makes a lot of sense here, but they are prohibitive to see Limited play. Instead of getting Heroes/Gods versus Monsters/Gods we got generic MtG Humans versus generic Monsters. No single color has a great identity except maybe Green (which makes sense given Green's propensity for giant creatures).

Edit:

The legendaries in this block is a prime example of this, none of them are memorable in terms of mechanics, like Annax and Cyamede is the only one that do what heroes would do, buff their allies. Like they could have made something like enchant legendaries only or have some direct interaction with the heroes to the non-legendaries to really get at the heroes versus everything else kind of vibe.


I think your actual problem with the set is that it's top down rather than bottom up. It's not built around the mechanics but around the flavor. Top down is hit or miss, I loved Innistrad and it was as top down as you can get, but Theros isn't quite as good. All the cards are "how can we make X mythological creature/event into a card", rather than "Using these mechanics, how do we develop a Greek myth theme?" I'm personally OK with that.

I mean to use Innistrad as an example, there were tons of cards specifically made for that block and its flavor that, with a simple rename, could fit anywhere. Case and point: the Skaabs. Screeching Skaab and Armored Skaab are blue creatures that mill you. 2/1 and 1/4 are not uncommon P/T combos. The reason they're there, however, is flavorful: you're cobbling together cards from your library into monsters, and it's practical: they feed graveyard strategies from elsewhere in the block. They can both be functionally reprinted in a core set with a graveyard mechanic and no one would bat an eye, but there's no way you'll see that particular card elsewhere.

Same with Curse of the Swine. They can functionally reprint a blue card that polymorphs creatures, but it'll never be 2/2 green pigs and it'll never be called Curse of the Swine, that's particular to the Greek Myth of Theros.


The skaabs were also a unique take on an undead theme wherein instead of reanimation it was digging of graves. Skaabs were pieced together from pilfered dead bodies. The act of pilfering dead bodies is grave related, so it fills the graveyard. The filling of the graveyard allows for graveyard based decks to flourish--if they stuck with blue. Theres a reason there wasn't white skaabs, red skaabs, etc... And blue also had cards that ate the graveyard or cared about the graveyard. So not only were skaabs good top down designs, they were good designs for the block itself.

Flip cards is another good example of what innistrad did well.

Blue flip cards required you to fulfill requirements, black flip cards required you to to proactively flip them, while R/G flip cards required you to not cast spells and allow nature to overwhelm you.

Heck, even white flip cards required creatures on your side dying.

The point being that it isn't an either or situation. Whether the inspiration for a design is top or bottom--the execution should be as total as can be possible.

Curse of Swine is good. I wish blue had more cards that transformed the enemy/allied creatures to expand that theme.

Instead we have heroic fish and heroic black creatures and heroice white creatures etc.... We have octupi--which somehow feels disconnected from the merfolk. We have Minataurs, but what exactly is their place in Theros other than lol greek?
Hark, what baseball through yonder window breaks?
whoso
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany523 Posts
April 23 2014 00:51 GMT
#10643
can one expect BNG booster value to rise after the JOU release (and with it event payout switching to JOU Boosters)? cant be arsed selling them at the terrible price its at right now
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
April 23 2014 01:00 GMT
#10644
is there anything in BNG that would remotely rise in value speculatively?
Get it by your hands...
Azuzu
Profile Joined August 2010
United States340 Posts
April 23 2014 01:21 GMT
#10645
I haven't really been following the set but just looked at the spoiler. How on earth is worst fears going to work on mtgo? Seems like a programmers worst fear to implement.
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-04-23 01:27:05
April 23 2014 01:25 GMT
#10646
Well its Mtgo, so I am sure they'll do a wonderful job of it. :D

Edit:

Um no? There's already precedent, Mindslaver.
Get it by your hands...
whoso
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany523 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-04-23 01:39:31
April 23 2014 01:38 GMT
#10647
On April 23 2014 10:00 Judicator wrote:
is there anything in BNG that would remotely rise in value speculatively?


uhh, mayyybe brimaz now that white looks very good with JOU?

On April 23 2014 10:25 Judicator wrote:
Well its Mtgo, so I am sure they'll do a wonderful job of it. :D

Edit:

Um no? There's already precedent, Mindslaver.


to be fair, while the mtgo interface is terrible and seems buggy, it appears the implementation of the actual magic gameplay is working pretty flawlessly?
Gorsameth
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands22648 Posts
April 23 2014 01:52 GMT
#10648
On April 23 2014 10:38 whoso wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 23 2014 10:00 Judicator wrote:
is there anything in BNG that would remotely rise in value speculatively?


uhh, mayyybe brimaz now that white looks very good with JOU?

Show nested quote +
On April 23 2014 10:25 Judicator wrote:
Well its Mtgo, so I am sure they'll do a wonderful job of it. :D

Edit:

Um no? There's already precedent, Mindslaver.


to be fair, while the mtgo interface is terrible and seems buggy, it appears the implementation of the actual magic gameplay is working pretty flawlessly?

There are a good number of bugs with some effects. A Jace ultimate doesnt even actually work on it.
It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death
mr_tolkien
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
France8631 Posts
April 23 2014 09:23 GMT
#10649
On April 23 2014 09:51 whoso wrote:
can one expect BNG booster value to rise after the JOU release (and with it event payout switching to JOU Boosters)? cant be arsed selling them at the terrible price its at right now

Yeah they'll go back to at least 3tix.

Sold all of them yesterday to buy a few cards though I'm at 12 tix now. Not allowed to lose anymore :p
The legend of Darien lives on
Haasts
Profile Joined October 2011
New Zealand4445 Posts
April 24 2014 22:26 GMT
#10650
Anyone been diving into the Flashback drafts on MTGO? I've never drafted Llorwyn/Shadowmoor so I'm mildly curious - recommended?

Felt a bit guilty re: drafting Rakdos/Selesnya beatdown in Shards block and ending games while opponents were durdling around with 5-colour Borderpost/Obelisk/Panorama shenanigans.
PaniaoftheReef in Path of Exile TotA SSF SC // Lovelin fanclub // GreenTea #1
Thieving Magpie
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States6752 Posts
April 24 2014 23:11 GMT
#10651
The concept that flashback drafts does not involve Homelands, Ice Age, or Tempest is strange to me.
Hark, what baseball through yonder window breaks?
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
April 25 2014 01:09 GMT
#10652
Who on earth would EVER want to draft Homelands? Or non-blue in Tempest for that matter <_<
Thieving Magpie
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States6752 Posts
April 25 2014 01:38 GMT
#10653
On April 25 2014 10:09 deth2munkies wrote:
Who on earth would EVER want to draft Homelands? Or non-blue in Tempest for that matter <_<


No one in their right minds.

I was talking more about flashing back lol.
Hark, what baseball through yonder window breaks?
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
April 25 2014 01:52 GMT
#10654
On April 25 2014 10:38 Thieving Magpie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 25 2014 10:09 deth2munkies wrote:
Who on earth would EVER want to draft Homelands? Or non-blue in Tempest for that matter <_<


No one in their right minds.

I was talking more about flashing back lol.


Well if it was about flashing back, it'd be Innistrad and Odyssey blocks.
Thieving Magpie
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States6752 Posts
April 25 2014 01:57 GMT
#10655
On April 25 2014 10:52 deth2munkies wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 25 2014 10:38 Thieving Magpie wrote:
On April 25 2014 10:09 deth2munkies wrote:
Who on earth would EVER want to draft Homelands? Or non-blue in Tempest for that matter <_<


No one in their right minds.

I was talking more about flashing back lol.


Well if it was about flashing back, it'd be Innistrad and Odyssey blocks.


I bow down to your Odyssey block reference lol
Hark, what baseball through yonder window breaks?
mr_tolkien
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
France8631 Posts
April 28 2014 09:04 GMT
#10656
One. More. QP.

Man the grinding is tiresome >.<
The legend of Darien lives on
calgar
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
United States1277 Posts
April 30 2014 16:33 GMT
#10657
This isn't related to online but I figured I'd ask here. I don't really play magic but it was my friend's birthday last week so I decided I would get some some new release nyx stuff. I was planning on shipping him a fat pack with 9 booster packs but I also saw the Ajani, mentor of heros guy who was pretty cool. He plays the 100 card single only format mostly.

Any opinions on which would be the better present, fat pack or single card?
Thieving Magpie
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States6752 Posts
April 30 2014 16:42 GMT
#10658
On May 01 2014 01:33 calgar wrote:
This isn't related to online but I figured I'd ask here. I don't really play magic but it was my friend's birthday last week so I decided I would get some some new release nyx stuff. I was planning on shipping him a fat pack with 9 booster packs but I also saw the Ajani, mentor of heros guy who was pretty cool. He plays the 100 card single only format mostly.

Any opinions on which would be the better present, fat pack or single card?


That format is known as either EDH or Commander. He picks a commander/general which is a creature. His deck cannot have cards outside of the colors of that commander/general. So if I were you, I'd ask him what commander/general he uses.

If the Commander he uses has Green and White as part of its colors, then Ajani is a better present. If not, I would suggest getting him a planeswalker whose colors do match. If you want the present to be specifically be cards from the new Block (nyx and what not) then get him one of the Gods that matches his colors.
Hark, what baseball through yonder window breaks?
Fishgle
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United States2174 Posts
April 30 2014 16:53 GMT
#10659
On May 01 2014 01:33 calgar wrote:
This isn't related to online but I figured I'd ask here. I don't really play magic but it was my friend's birthday last week so I decided I would get some some new release nyx stuff. I was planning on shipping him a fat pack with 9 booster packs but I also saw the Ajani, mentor of heros guy who was pretty cool. He plays the 100 card single only format mostly.

Any opinions on which would be the better present, fat pack or single card?

This thread is for all things magic, not just online. a mod really needs to rename this thread :S

well, ajani's a pretty good card in certain EDH (100 card) decks (Marath, Ghave, Rith, Enchantress, maybe some others). Do you know if he plays a Green/White deck? If he does, it's a pretty good choice.

I'd also like to note that fat packs aren't really the best deal - you can buy 9 boosters for under $36 pretty easily, and fatpacks are usually $40+. it's not too terrible, but maybe think about buying loose booster packs instead.

buying veteran players stuff is tough without knowing what they already have, tbh.
aka ChillyGonzalo / GnozL
calgar
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
United States1277 Posts
April 30 2014 18:22 GMT
#10660
On May 01 2014 01:53 Fishgle wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 01 2014 01:33 calgar wrote:
This isn't related to online but I figured I'd ask here. I don't really play magic but it was my friend's birthday last week so I decided I would get some some new release nyx stuff. I was planning on shipping him a fat pack with 9 booster packs but I also saw the Ajani, mentor of heros guy who was pretty cool. He plays the 100 card single only format mostly.

Any opinions on which would be the better present, fat pack or single card?

This thread is for all things magic, not just online. a mod really needs to rename this thread :S

well, ajani's a pretty good card in certain EDH (100 card) decks (Marath, Ghave, Rith, Enchantress, maybe some others). Do you know if he plays a Green/White deck? If he does, it's a pretty good choice.

I'd also like to note that fat packs aren't really the best deal - you can buy 9 boosters for under $36 pretty easily, and fatpacks are usually $40+. it's not too terrible, but maybe think about buying loose booster packs instead.

buying veteran players stuff is tough without knowing what they already have, tbh.
Yeah, I've played with some of his decks but I can't remember exactly which colors they all were since some of them were tri-color. He's got like 4 which is part of the problem, but I don't think he has a green/white one so then probably ajani isn't the best choice.

The booster box would be $100 and $2.78/booster but that's a little too much to spend! The fat pack was $36 (w/ free amazon shipping) so its basically $4.00/booster. I could do 9 boosters for $3.55 each if they were loose. Maybe I'll do the boosters since I can't make a purchase specific to his collection very well.
Prev 1 531 532 533 534 535 665 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 37m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech140
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 3335
Rain 1752
GuemChi 538
FanTaSy 438
sSak 47
Bale 33
Hm[arnc] 28
ajuk12(nOOB) 16
Icarus 7
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm150
Fuzer 84
League of Legends
JimRising 615
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1142
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King178
Other Games
summit1g7814
WinterStarcraft681
KnowMe63
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick680
BasetradeTV176
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream42
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki20
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2192
League of Legends
• Lourlo1181
• Rush994
• Stunt463
Other Games
• Shiphtur779
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
3h 37m
INu's Battles
4h 37m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
6h 37m
OSC
15h 52m
Replay Cast
16h 37m
OSC
1d 16h
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.