• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:35
CEST 05:35
KST 12:35
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2317
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9351 users

Magic: The Gathering - Page 278

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 276 277 278 279 280 665 Next
spinesheath
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Germany8679 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-24 22:38:43
January 24 2013 22:24 GMT
#5541
You shouldn't have a lot of expensive spells in this deck at all, so even if you hit a big Disciple of Bolas, you won't have many more than 7 cards, and you can afford to discard a few if you have to. It's really not worth it bringing colerless land into the deck.

Regeneration is pretty bad as a form of protection in this deck imo, since it removes the creature from combat, essentially causing you to lose a full turn. Putting a +1+1 counter on a black creature once a turn isn't very strong either, so I don't like Ring of Xathrid. Faith's Shield does indeed sound a lot better. Most other good forms of protection (mainly hexproof) are found in blue, and you can't really afford to play a 3 color deck without an expensive manabase. Rootborn Defenses protects against a couple of removal spells too, but it's not great unless you also play Lingering Souls, and even then it's not too great.

Personally, I don't think Servant of Nefarox is a good card at all. The 3/1 body seems utterly useless against nearly everything that is played in standard. On defense it doesn't trade favorably, and on offense it lacks evasion and lifelink and it needs at least 2 exalted triggers to not just die to some crappy 2/X.
If you have a good reason to disagree with the above, please tell me. Thank you.
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
January 25 2013 03:39 GMT
#5542
On January 25 2013 07:18 JingleHell wrote:
Ok, thanks for the tappedout link.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jingle1/

Deck, moved. It's listed in it's current format with the maybe's as things I'd like to add but don't have yet.


Okay some things you could do with your deck:

- 2 Duskhunter Bat
- 2 Duskmantle Prowler
- Gorgon
- Overlord
- 2 Duty Bound Dead
- 2 Shade
- Guardians
- 3 Servants
- 2 Walking Corpse
- 2 Reliquary Tower

Maybe someone else can tell you what to replace them with on a budget since I don't play these kind of decks.
Get it by your hands...
Salivanth
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Australia1071 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-25 08:14:11
January 25 2013 08:13 GMT
#5543
So, I just played an MWS game where my opponent made one of the stupidest plays I have EVER SEEN.

I'm playing a modified Esper control deck, and he's playing some B/U/G homebrew that seems to win by just having a shitload of planeswalkers. It's game 2.

My board: Sorin (7 counters), lands, 2 1/1 vampires. I have four cards in hand. They're all lands I've been saving.

His board: Lands, Liliana (7 counters), Tamiyo (6 counters). He has 1 card in hand.

It's his turn. He uses Liliana's ultimate, making me choose between Sorin and every other permanent I own. I choose to keep Sorin. Next turn, I'll kill his two PW's, take over them, and try and win the game.

And then...my opponent...plays the last card in his hand. And that card is...Garruk, Primal Hunter.

WHAT.

I cannot even fathom the thought process that would lead into playing that card, the turn before I'm going to take control of it and win the entire fucking game with it. The level of stupidity required to make a play like that baffles me. It is completely and utterly nonsensical in any way, shape or form. What the HELL was going through this guy's mind?

I will likely never know. The only possible explanation might be that he didn't know what Sorin did properly, because I can't imagine him making that play based on the information he had available to him on board. He threw away his one chance to win the game, and gave it directly to me in the same breath.

MWS is hilarious sometimes.
<@Wikt> so you are one of those nega-fans <@Wikt> that hates the company that makes a game and everything they stand for <@Wikt> but still plays the game <@Wikt> (like roughly 30% of blizzard's player base, maybe much more...)
NeonFlare
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
Finland1307 Posts
January 25 2013 14:47 GMT
#5544
On January 25 2013 12:39 Judicator wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 25 2013 07:18 JingleHell wrote:
Ok, thanks for the tappedout link.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jingle1/

Deck, moved. It's listed in it's current format with the maybe's as things I'd like to add but don't have yet.


Okay some things you could do with your deck:

- 2 Duskhunter Bat
- 2 Duskmantle Prowler
- Gorgon
- Overlord
- 2 Duty Bound Dead
- 2 Shade
- Guardians
- 3 Servants
- 2 Walking Corpse
- 2 Reliquary Tower

Maybe someone else can tell you what to replace them with on a budget since I don't play these kind of decks.


Those minuses seem mostly pretty reasonable, I think for cheap(-ish) exalted could benefit from 4x both Knights, 4x Avens, 4x Nighthawk, mainboard Cathedrals. Maybe some white/black cheap powerful enchantments to put on your main attacker.

If you can't find enough fill ins you might keep some of them in the deck. Maybe mainboard Daggerdromes, since lifelink with evasion and buffed by exalted is pretty good. I don't think the Artficat is really needed, it feels too slow in comparison to straight power like Dark Favor.

If you want more control you could use stuff like Oblivion Ring and Stab Wound for bleed.
I don't know, just throwing some ideas.
slyboogie
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3423 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-25 15:29:58
January 25 2013 15:29 GMT
#5545
On January 25 2013 17:13 Salivanth wrote:
So, I just played an MWS game where my opponent made one of the stupidest plays I have EVER SEEN.

I'm playing a modified Esper control deck, and he's playing some B/U/G homebrew that seems to win by just having a shitload of planeswalkers. It's game 2.

My board: Sorin (7 counters), lands, 2 1/1 vampires. I have four cards in hand. They're all lands I've been saving.

His board: Lands, Liliana (7 counters), Tamiyo (6 counters). He has 1 card in hand.

It's his turn. He uses Liliana's ultimate, making me choose between Sorin and every other permanent I own. I choose to keep Sorin. Next turn, I'll kill his two PW's, take over them, and try and win the game.

And then...my opponent...plays the last card in his hand. And that card is...Garruk, Primal Hunter.

WHAT.

I cannot even fathom the thought process that would lead into playing that card, the turn before I'm going to take control of it and win the entire fucking game with it. The level of stupidity required to make a play like that baffles me. It is completely and utterly nonsensical in any way, shape or form. What the HELL was going through this guy's mind?

I will likely never know. The only possible explanation might be that he didn't know what Sorin did properly, because I can't imagine him making that play based on the information he had available to him on board. He threw away his one chance to win the game, and gave it directly to me in the same breath.

MWS is hilarious sometimes.


Why was Liliana at 7 O_o
"We dug coal together." Boyd Crowder, Justified
Narcind
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Sweden2489 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-25 17:23:08
January 25 2013 17:19 GMT
#5546
So what are people who are going to a pre-release planning on playing? I'm leaning very strongly towards dimir because it has so much mill that you could potentially cause your opponent to deck out since you're running 40 card decks, but it might just be too slow, especially vs boros.

Still think that's what I'm going to go with though, because I just enjoy playing B/U.
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
January 25 2013 18:14 GMT
#5547
Probably Orzhov.

Not doing the midnight release one again, fuck going like 8 rounds when you are dead by the time the lights come on.

I need to figure out an identity to that Esper list, I don't like where its at right now.
Get it by your hands...
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
January 25 2013 19:08 GMT
#5548
I'm going Orzhov at midnight tonight. The Modern FMN into Prerelease is way too tempting for me.

Orzhov has always been my favorite color combination and I enjoy their lore of being an outwardly religious but inwardly greedy and twisted people. The art on a bunch of their cards (especially Deathpact Angel) is amazing as well.

Also Extort seems awesome in limited.
Lyter
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United Kingdom2145 Posts
January 25 2013 19:19 GMT
#5549
Exam tomorrow morning, so annoyed I can't do fnm tonight and also have to miss out on the early prerelease tomorrow, but catching others, so not too bad, except all I wanna do play magic right now and it is so hard to study T.T
cLAN.Anax
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
United States2847 Posts
January 25 2013 19:59 GMT
#5550
Poll time!!!

Poll: What guild will you choose at the Prerelease?

Dimir (3)
 
27%

Boros (2)
 
18%

Gruul (2)
 
18%

Orzhov (2)
 
18%

Simic (2)
 
18%

11 total votes

Your vote: What guild will you choose at the Prerelease?

(Vote): Boros
(Vote): Dimir
(Vote): Gruul
(Vote): Orzhov
(Vote): Simic



+ Show Spoiler +
Definitely Boros all the way for me.
┬─┬___(ツ)_/¯ 彡┻━┻ I am the 4%. "I cant believe i saw ANAL backwards before i saw the word LAN." - Capped
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
January 25 2013 20:00 GMT
#5551
I don't understand the guilds yet
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
January 25 2013 20:04 GMT
#5552
On January 26 2013 05:00 JingleHell wrote:
I don't understand the guilds yet


Do you understand the color pie concept?
Get it by your hands...
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
January 25 2013 20:05 GMT
#5553
On January 26 2013 05:04 Judicator wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 26 2013 05:00 JingleHell wrote:
I don't understand the guilds yet


Do you understand the color pie concept?


I like apple and pumpkin, mostly?
Sn0_Man
Profile Blog Joined October 2012
Tebellong44238 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-25 20:08:28
January 25 2013 20:07 GMT
#5554
On January 26 2013 05:00 JingleHell wrote:
I don't understand the guilds yet


They are just features of the current set. Future sets will be themed around different lore and gameplay mechanics.
(Magic cards are released as part of sets, which are in turn part of blocks. Generally there are 3 sets to a block, and sets within a block share cohesive storyline and themes, although each set is somewhat distinct mechanically).

Return to Ravnica is feeding off of a previous Block called "Ravnica: City of Guilds" which established the lore of Ravnica and it's 10 guilds (all 10 possible pairs of colours). Each pair has a name and a lore associated with the features of their colours interacting.

Gatecrash, the 2nd set in the Return to Ravnica block, features 5 guilds aka colour pairs: Boros (R/W), Orzhov (B/W), Dimir (U/B) (U = Blue btw), Simic (U/G) and Gruul (R/G).

At the prerelease for Gatecrash, you may choose a guild to align yourself and you will be given a special pack (available only at the prerelease) that includes extra cards from that guild.


TL;DR: Guilds are NOT core magic concepts, at all

LiquidDota StaffSCIENTISTS BAFFLED | 3275929302
Narcind
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Sweden2489 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-25 20:14:57
January 25 2013 20:09 GMT
#5555
Boros is white/red, has battalion
Dimir is blue/black, has cipher
Gruul is red/green, has bloodrush
Orzhov is white/black, has extort
Simic is blue/green, has evolve

Every guild has their own completely new ability that I listed

Also this
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
January 25 2013 20:14 GMT
#5556
On January 26 2013 05:07 Sn0_Man wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 26 2013 05:00 JingleHell wrote:
I don't understand the guilds yet


They are just features of the current set. Future sets will be themed around different lore and gameplay mechanics.
(Magic cards are released as part of sets, which are in turn part of blocks. Generally there are 3 sets to a block, and sets within a block share cohesive storyline and themes, although each set is somewhat distinct mechanically).

Return to Ravnica is feeding off of a previous Block called "Ravnica: City of Guilds" which established the lore of Ravnica and it's 10 guilds (all 10 possible pairs of colours). Each pair has a name and a lore associated with the features of their colours interacting.

Gatecrash, the 2nd set in the Return to Ravnica block, features 5 guilds aka colour pairs: Boros (R/W), Orzhov (B/W), Dimir (U/B) (U = Blue btw), Simic (U/G) and Gruul (R/G).

At the prerelease for Gatecrash, you may choose a guild to align yourself and you will be given a special pack (available only at the prerelease) that includes extra cards from that guild.


TL;DR: Guilds are NOT core magic concepts, at all



Wait, so where's the fucking pie? Now I'm hungry, you people are tummy cockteases. :'(

Why are all the nummy pastries a lie?
Sn0_Man
Profile Blog Joined October 2012
Tebellong44238 Posts
January 25 2013 20:30 GMT
#5557
There has to be a wiki on all this somewhere.

The colour pie is basically an explanation of the various... mechanics and effects that each colour is able to use. For example, life gain: Primarily in white, it is "secondary" in green (generally based off of a creature's power/toughness or number of lands or something) and tertiary in black (almost always flavoured as a "life drain" effect where opponents or creatures are damaged for the same amount you gain).

As such, Orzhov (the black/white guild) has the "extort" mechanic in this set that drains opponents life and gives it to you.

Another example: Card draw. Primarily in blue, it is secondary in black and in black is based upon paying life for cards. In green it is tertiary and again is often based on a creature's Power/Toughness. Red often discards cards to draw cards, and white simply doesn't draw many cards.

Destroying creatures is a black mechanic, but the mass destruction versions are found in white and are often flavoured as a "cleansing" if you will. Single-creature removal in white generally centres around non-lethal methods that either exile the creature or prevent it from attacking/blocking/both.

Etc etc.
LiquidDota StaffSCIENTISTS BAFFLED | 3275929302
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
January 25 2013 20:46 GMT
#5558
And are you only allowed to have a single guild mechanic in a deck? Like, what if a black creature with extort is otherwise pretty good for a deck that isn't the black/white guild? Can it be used?
Sn0_Man
Profile Blog Joined October 2012
Tebellong44238 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-25 20:53:22
January 25 2013 20:50 GMT
#5559
On January 26 2013 05:46 JingleHell wrote:
And are you only allowed to have a single guild mechanic in a deck? Like, what if a black creature with extort is otherwise pretty good for a deck that isn't the black/white guild? Can it be used?


Yep you can use it, there are no restrictions like that. Guilds have no rules associated with them with the exception of the prerelease packs (and there, the only thing guild affiliation does is determine what can and cannot be in that 1 pack).

To expound, If I go to the prerelease and choose dimir (U/B) for my guild, but then the regular packs that I open happen to have really really good white, I can play 3 colours (Blue/White/Black), or I could just play, say, White/Black (aka orzhov) even though I didn't pick orzhov. There are no additional rules over any other magic.

BTW Jingle are you planning on going to a prerelease?
LiquidDota StaffSCIENTISTS BAFFLED | 3275929302
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
January 25 2013 20:51 GMT
#5560
On January 26 2013 05:46 JingleHell wrote:
And are you only allowed to have a single guild mechanic in a deck? Like, what if a black creature with extort is otherwise pretty good for a deck that isn't the black/white guild? Can it be used?


You can build a 5 color deck with all 5 mechanics if you want, but it's not advisable.

The guilds are restricted in lore, function, and color, not in any form once you actually PLAY with the cards.

The whole reason guilds exist are backstory to make the game feel like it's reflecting a world. Apart from their unique mechanics, there's no bearing on gameplay.
Prev 1 276 277 278 279 280 665 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 185
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1928
GuemChi 1396
NotJumperer 144
910 74
Bale 34
ajuk12(nOOB) 18
Terrorterran 14
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm185
febbydoto14
Counter-Strike
taco 476
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King51
Other Games
summit1g8000
Doublelift1818
JimRising 601
C9.Mang0367
PiGStarcraft293
WinterStarcraft269
Maynarde122
Coldzera 41
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1010
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream21
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Letter1410
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo713
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
6h 25m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
7h 25m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
20h 25m
Patches Events
1d 12h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.