• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:15
CEST 09:15
KST 16:15
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
https://www.facebook.com/QinuxFisioFeetUSA/ Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Sagi.gg Launcher Released an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10834 users

Torchlight II - Page 13

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 95 Next
TeamLiquid Steam Group for Torchlight 2
eluv
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1251 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-12 23:52:36
May 12 2012 23:41 GMT
#241
Full disclosure, I'm a massive Diablo/Blizzard fanboy, so you can take everything I say with as many grains of salt as you like. First, I have to say that Torchlight 2 is much more the spiritual successor of Diablo 2 than D3 is. Where the D3 team has tossed out quite a few of the systems from 2, Torchlight has decided to keep them, for better or for worse.

Things I didn't like:

- Talent point character progression. I should specify that I only really take issue with this because of the inability to re-spec beyond level 10. If there were an option, even if it cost gold, but so long as it were infinite, I would be willing to retract this criticism. As it is, you're only allowed to respec up till level 10, and obviously this is well before all your skills are unlocked. Why didn't I like this?

TL2 has a similar skill/talent system to D2, which means that to make a really effective character, you're probably going to have to dump as many of your points as possible into your main DPS skills - but since you can't re-allocate points after level 10, you're left with the ugly situation of having to guess at the effectiveness of some skills you haven't seen the higher ranks of, and other skills you haven't seen at all. You also end up in the situation of hoarding skill points, sacrificing your early level experience for (hopefully) later effectiveness.

It goes without saying that the same issues apply to the stat point system. You can't change these at all, so when you find out you're going to be 1 shot with your lack of points in Vit - well it's back to square one.

-Massive scaling of Weapon Damage. Maybe this is only an issue in the early levels, but it seemed like every 5 levels or so, weapon DPS would double, and monster health pools followed suit. With the large variety of weapon types in the game, this could leave you out in the cold if you didn't get lucky with a drop. On the other side, my experience was that any time I got an upgrade to my weapon, the game suddenly opened up again. That sort of thing really cuts into the experience, at least for me.

-Mana. Probably only a low level problem, but it's one shared by D2. Especially for the physical DPS classes, my money's on "optimal" build putting minimal to 0 points increasing their mana pool, meaning that you spend a decent amount of time just swinging your weapon. While they did try to give your weapon swings more flavor with a variety of passive effects, in a way it puts you at the mercy of the drop machine. Rather than choosing what sort of skill you'd like to be your "spammable" damage, you end up being somewhat pigeonholed into taking the flavor offered by your current highest DPS weapon.

Things I liked:

-Gameplay! As you'd expect from this talented team, the gameplay delivers. I'll admit I got frustrated with the Elite difficulty more than once, but it made it all the more satisfying when I executed cleanly.

-Pets! Even if mine probably spent half the time "fleeing" the time he spent doing things was spent absolutely crushing the enemies. The fact that I didn't have to micromanage my followers health, or worry that if he died I'd have to go spend gold/time to resurrect him makes this my preferred implementation of a "sidekick" mechanic in any game.

-Art Style! I'll probably get called a blasphemer for this, but I love the style they went with. It really allowed them to create some awesome stylized visuals that lean towards wacky more than dark.

-Equipment Variety! Because you do end up using your vanilla weapon attack reasonably often, this was especially important. Each of the different weapon times very much had their own flavor, so that choosing a weapon was (at least when they were close) more than picking up the one with the highest DPS number.

Overall the game will be fun I'm sure, but not for me until someone else plays through a dozen times to figure out how in the world I'm supposed to spend my points so I can get to the business of killing stuff. The joy of discovery is well and good, but when making a bad prediction means the possibility of wasting dozens of hours - count me out.
"Yes I fucked my way to the GSL partnership" - Sundance
T-oastbro-T
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany378 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-13 00:51:16
May 13 2012 00:48 GMT
#242
I noticed the weapon-scaling as well. Though expecting to use mostly magic-attacks as an ember mage, I found that in some cases melee-ing mobs with your staff does more damage than using spells. But since I only tried the normal-mode up until now, that may well be different on the other difficulties. I suppose, that a lot more balancing will be done before the game goes final, so I don't worry too much about that particular problem.

Not being able to reset your skills and stats is annoying and should definitely be addressed. I remember that there were "forgetfulness-potions" of some sort in the first Torchlight, which had exactly the desired effect. But they weren't sold at default, you had to use a tiny mod which placed them in the inventory of a vendor. I imagine that TL2 could end up with the same approach, but I'd really prefer it if the devs would put a respec-npc of some sort in the game without the necessity of a mod. The costs of a respec could be ramped up depending on the player level and/or the number of talent-point-resets within a certain time frame.

I like the gameplay very much, it feels very responsive and most attacks really give the impression of having an "impact".
The UI is an improvement over the one from TL1, though still not perfect. I don't know if I just overlooked an option, but it seems to me, that for changing the overlay-map to the mini-map, you have to press 'M' four times, because the "real map" has three possible positions. So instead of choosing between mini- and overlay-map with a single-button-press, you get to deal with a five-way-toggle between "map disabled", "overlay map on left/center/right" and "mini-map".

Runic Games have learned a lot in terms of questing and itemization however! In TL1, the quests rewarded extremely low amounts of xp and equipment of insultingly bad quality. Many items had curious stats on them, to the point were it wasn't even possible to tell, which class an item was supposed to be tailored to.
Quests in TL2 let the player choose between different quest-rewards, which look much more reasonable than in TL1. Many could actually be used by my character instead of being five levels below the stuff that dropped from the mobs related to the quest I just got the reward for.

I like the pacing of the game as well. It feels very fluid and the character seems to run pretty fast compared to D3. This could be due to different camera-angles, zoom-levels, character-to-world-scaling, or other technicalities, but what do I care?
The "send-your-pet-to-town"-feature is nice, especially the shopping list.

All in all I'm looking forward to playing the full version in a few months or so and hope, that they'll have ironed out the existing flaws until then.
Laids
Profile Joined January 2011
United Kingdom596 Posts
May 13 2012 01:04 GMT
#243
- Talent point character progression. I should specify that I only really take issue with this because of the inability to re-spec beyond level 10. If there were an option, even if it cost gold, but so long as it were infinite, I would be willing to retract this criticism. As it is, you're only allowed to respec up till level 10, and obviously this is well before all your skills are unlocked. Why didn't I like this?


That's disappointing, hopefully someone will mod the respec potion back in.
awu25
Profile Joined April 2010
United States2003 Posts
May 13 2012 01:19 GMT
#244
+ Show Spoiler +
On May 13 2012 08:41 eluv wrote:
Full disclosure, I'm a massive Diablo/Blizzard fanboy, so you can take everything I say with as many grains of salt as you like. First, I have to say that Torchlight 2 is much more the spiritual successor of Diablo 2 than D3 is. Where the D3 team has tossed out quite a few of the systems from 2, Torchlight has decided to keep them, for better or for worse.

Things I didn't like:

- Talent point character progression. I should specify that I only really take issue with this because of the inability to re-spec beyond level 10. If there were an option, even if it cost gold, but so long as it were infinite, I would be willing to retract this criticism. As it is, you're only allowed to respec up till level 10, and obviously this is well before all your skills are unlocked. Why didn't I like this?

TL2 has a similar skill/talent system to D2, which means that to make a really effective character, you're probably going to have to dump as many of your points as possible into your main DPS skills - but since you can't re-allocate points after level 10, you're left with the ugly situation of having to guess at the effectiveness of some skills you haven't seen the higher ranks of, and other skills you haven't seen at all. You also end up in the situation of hoarding skill points, sacrificing your early level experience for (hopefully) later effectiveness.

It goes without saying that the same issues apply to the stat point system. You can't change these at all, so when you find out you're going to be 1 shot with your lack of points in Vit - well it's back to square one.

-Massive scaling of Weapon Damage. Maybe this is only an issue in the early levels, but it seemed like every 5 levels or so, weapon DPS would double, and monster health pools followed suit. With the large variety of weapon types in the game, this could leave you out in the cold if you didn't get lucky with a drop. On the other side, my experience was that any time I got an upgrade to my weapon, the game suddenly opened up again. That sort of thing really cuts into the experience, at least for me.

-Mana. Probably only a low level problem, but it's one shared by D2. Especially for the physical DPS classes, my money's on "optimal" build putting minimal to 0 points increasing their mana pool, meaning that you spend a decent amount of time just swinging your weapon. While they did try to give your weapon swings more flavor with a variety of passive effects, in a way it puts you at the mercy of the drop machine. Rather than choosing what sort of skill you'd like to be your "spammable" damage, you end up being somewhat pigeonholed into taking the flavor offered by your current highest DPS weapon.

Things I liked:

-Gameplay! As you'd expect from this talented team, the gameplay delivers. I'll admit I got frustrated with the Elite difficulty more than once, but it made it all the more satisfying when I executed cleanly.

-Pets! Even if mine probably spent half the time "fleeing" the time he spent doing things was spent absolutely crushing the enemies. The fact that I didn't have to micromanage my followers health, or worry that if he died I'd have to go spend gold/time to resurrect him makes this my preferred implementation of a "sidekick" mechanic in any game.

-Art Style! I'll probably get called a blasphemer for this, but I love the style they went with. It really allowed them to create some awesome stylized visuals that lean towards wacky more than dark.

-Equipment Variety! Because you do end up using your vanilla weapon attack reasonably often, this was especially important. Each of the different weapon times very much had their own flavor, so that choosing a weapon was (at least when they were close) more than picking up the one with the highest DPS number.

Overall the game will be fun I'm sure, but not for me until someone else plays through a dozen times to figure out how in the world I'm supposed to spend my points so I can get to the business of killing stuff. The joy of discovery is well and good, but when making a bad prediction means the possibility of wasting dozens of hours - count me out.


I would agree with most of these points. Played first Torchlight and loved that you could send your pets back to town to sell stuff. I think I only went to town to return quests.
My main problem with the beta is also the skill/stat system. It would easily be solved by having some form of respec. Maybe even for a beta have a free respec so people can try out all the different skills instead of having to remake characters.
One thing I LOVED is that items have level requirements OR stat requirements. So if you don't meet the level requirement you could still use the item if you had the required stats, don't remember if they had this for the first game
Crissaegrim
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
2947 Posts
May 13 2012 17:12 GMT
#245
Ok its official. I would really like to have a try at this game. If anyone hears anything closely resembling a giveaway, please post here so we have a chance at it. (Or better yet, PM me so I get first dibs =D)
awu25
Profile Joined April 2010
United States2003 Posts
May 13 2012 18:12 GMT
#246
Something I find lacking is their friend/chat system. The thing is pretty much non-existant. I couldn't figure out how to message my friend who wasn't in the same game as me and it was really frustrating
Killmouse
Profile Joined August 2010
Austria5700 Posts
May 13 2012 20:17 GMT
#247
On May 14 2012 03:12 awu25 wrote:
Something I find lacking is their friend/chat system. The thing is pretty much non-existant. I couldn't figure out how to message my friend who wasn't in the same game as me and it was really frustrating

yeah i dont think there is a chat system implenmented on the lobby, but u can see in which server they are when they are playin
yo
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
May 15 2012 23:01 GMT
#248
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
myopia
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States2928 Posts
May 16 2012 04:09 GMT
#249
I just got a beta invite, despite my never signing up for a key. I think they had my email from my posting on the Runic forums a few times when TL1 was new. Weird.
it's my first day
Beamer
Profile Joined March 2010
United States242 Posts
May 16 2012 06:22 GMT
#250
Not gonna lie, that youtube video actually convinced me to preorder Torchlight 2. I mean, you get the first game and the second game for only $20? What a deal!
pallad
Profile Joined September 2010
Poland1958 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-18 21:45:15
May 18 2012 21:44 GMT
#251
If someone still dont know !

TORCHLIGHT 2 Is now IN OPEN BETA STRESS TEST WEEKEND , everyone with runic games account can play it f

"Hi Everyone! We've been busy squashing bugs and deploying patches - 8, in fact! - since our last update. The Torchlight II beta is going really well, and is nearing its end. But before we go, we're going to do a wide network stress test this weekend! We'll be sending out many more beta codes to those who have already made their Runic Games Account. Haven't signed up yet? Go for it now! Creating your account is always your best chance to receive a beta invite - especially this weekend.

The Beta Weekend will start on Friday, May 18th at 11:00am PDT and go until Tuesday, May 22nd at 11:00am PDT. We will be staggering invitations to let participants know they have been chosen, but you will not be able to play until the start of the Beta Weekend on Friday. This is to help stagger downloading of the game client.

The beta will end shortly after this last big network test. We are going to get the last information we need for stress testing, and then get back to finishing the game! A longer beta means a longer wait until we can ship, and we are eager to finish Torchlight II and get it in your hands. Thanks to all our fans who've supported us, participated in, and promoted the beta. It's incredibly fulfilling to see you guys play the game and enjoy it as much as we do"

http://www.torchlight2game.com/news/2012/05/17/beta-update-upcoming-weekend-stress-test/
SC 2 -LingsLover- EU -- Jaedong , NesTea , Nerchio , DRG , Moon , Oz , Tarson , Scarlett -- Dota 2 Pallad EU- NaVi - LGD
floor exercise
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Canada5847 Posts
May 18 2012 21:52 GMT
#252
I got in earlier and played for a bit. It's awesome. it is so much better than TL1.

The only downside I would say is that the skill tree is a bit boring. It's more or less the same thing from TL1. But the overall gameplay I couldn't be happier with. I've enjoyed the first 15 levels of this way more than I did D3
kane]deth[
Profile Joined October 2009
Canada368 Posts
May 18 2012 22:41 GMT
#253
Is there any way to get into the beta if you just signed up now?
Herper
Profile Joined January 2011
501 Posts
May 19 2012 00:12 GMT
#254
Signed up yesterday and got a key for the weekend
check your "my accounts"
empty.bottle
Profile Joined July 2009
685 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-19 06:01:09
May 19 2012 05:58 GMT
#255
If you wanna have fun, play Hardcore Elite. You have to dodge everything :D.
EDIT: Also this is the only way to enjoy the boss fights, they are epic.
happyness
Profile Joined June 2010
United States2400 Posts
May 19 2012 07:38 GMT
#256
On May 19 2012 06:44 pallad wrote:
If someone still dont know !

TORCHLIGHT 2 Is now IN OPEN BETA STRESS TEST WEEKEND , everyone with runic games account can play it f

"Hi Everyone! We've been busy squashing bugs and deploying patches - 8, in fact! - since our last update. The Torchlight II beta is going really well, and is nearing its end. But before we go, we're going to do a wide network stress test this weekend! We'll be sending out many more beta codes to those who have already made their Runic Games Account. Haven't signed up yet? Go for it now! Creating your account is always your best chance to receive a beta invite - especially this weekend.

The Beta Weekend will start on Friday, May 18th at 11:00am PDT and go until Tuesday, May 22nd at 11:00am PDT. We will be staggering invitations to let participants know they have been chosen, but you will not be able to play until the start of the Beta Weekend on Friday. This is to help stagger downloading of the game client.

The beta will end shortly after this last big network test. We are going to get the last information we need for stress testing, and then get back to finishing the game! A longer beta means a longer wait until we can ship, and we are eager to finish Torchlight II and get it in your hands. Thanks to all our fans who've supported us, participated in, and promoted the beta. It's incredibly fulfilling to see you guys play the game and enjoy it as much as we do"

http://www.torchlight2game.com/news/2012/05/17/beta-update-upcoming-weekend-stress-test/


I didn't know! Thanks a ton!

I'll enjoy this because I can't yet afford D3
kane]deth[
Profile Joined October 2009
Canada368 Posts
May 20 2012 04:30 GMT
#257
So just got into the beta! Was wondering if there were any TLers that wanted to play together on TS or something?
Killmouse
Profile Joined August 2010
Austria5700 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-20 13:11:27
May 20 2012 12:00 GMT
#258
got an extra beta key, if u want pm me with your email


@gone
yo
pallad
Profile Joined September 2010
Poland1958 Posts
May 20 2012 13:17 GMT
#259
On May 20 2012 21:00 Killmouse wrote:
got an extra beta key, if u want pm me with your email


@gone


Next time pls , dont write you have a beta key ..
You send me , weekend beta key , that eveyone can have , just by making runic games account..
Look at my post up.
SC 2 -LingsLover- EU -- Jaedong , NesTea , Nerchio , DRG , Moon , Oz , Tarson , Scarlett -- Dota 2 Pallad EU- NaVi - LGD
Killmouse
Profile Joined August 2010
Austria5700 Posts
May 20 2012 14:10 GMT
#260
On May 20 2012 22:17 pallad wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 20 2012 21:00 Killmouse wrote:
got an extra beta key, if u want pm me with your email


@gone


Next time pls , dont write you have a beta key ..
You send me , weekend beta key , that eveyone can have , just by making runic games account..
Look at my post up.


so it is a beta key after all? you just said it yourself
yo
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 95 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 45m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Horang2 882
ggaemo 427
Stork 319
Leta 206
PianO 103
Larva 52
Hyuk 32
ZergMaN 29
yabsab 23
Bale 22
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm170
League of Legends
JimRising 447
Reynor88
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King171
Westballz33
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor780
Other Games
summit1g10149
C9.Mang0256
Sick171
PiGStarcraft132
ArmadaUGS41
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick627
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream154
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 14
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2288
League of Legends
• Lourlo1221
• Stunt525
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
2h 45m
Online Event
3h 45m
FEL
8h 45m
AI Arena Tournament
9h 45m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
11h 45m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 2h
INu's Battles
1d 4h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 11h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 11h
Replay Cast
1d 16h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.