• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:54
CEST 13:54
KST 20:54
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War625.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7559 users

Smash Bros. Melee General Discussion - Page 61

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 59 60 61 62 63 188 Next
We have created an irc channel (#tl-smash on Quakenet) for people to find others to play with on Dolphin or just to chat about Smash. Feel free to join!
]343[
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States10328 Posts
March 17 2014 15:43 GMT
#1201
sc4k, that's really cool good to hear Armada's training hard!

the highest-level player near me is KoreanDJ (who 4-stocked me with Pichu about a month ago... I did like 120% though!... ), and he comes to our weekly tournaments in Boston, but that's really different from getting to talk to someone who's actually competing for #1 in the world! I guess M2K is actually going to be in town again this week, hmm...
Writer
puppykiller
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States3137 Posts
March 17 2014 17:02 GMT
#1202
Any minnesotan players in this thread :3
Why would I play sctoo when I can play BW?
Zoler
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Sweden6339 Posts
March 17 2014 17:23 GMT
#1203
Recently Armada wants to play like every single day. When he was retired he NEVER played.

2 weeks ago we played like 4-5 days in a row
Lim Yo Hwan forever!
puppykiller
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States3137 Posts
March 17 2014 17:29 GMT
#1204
Yo Zoler how good is popularityofpie at smash... I am curious.
Why would I play sctoo when I can play BW?
Aveng3r
Profile Joined February 2012
United States2411 Posts
March 17 2014 17:48 GMT
#1205
main: Fox/cpt falcon
active: never been to a tourney and not competative, but Ive never met anyone except my brother who can beat me
location: Philadelphia PA

dont know if you are still updating the OP with this stuff but add me if you will
I carve marble busts of assassinated world leaders - PM for a quote
Hot_Bid
Profile Blog Joined October 2003
Braavos36402 Posts
March 17 2014 19:40 GMT
#1206
i got netplay working, if any TLers live near the netherlands we can try to play online if you have good ping
@Hot_Bid on Twitter - ESPORTS life since 2010 - http://i.imgur.com/U2psw.png
Zoler
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Sweden6339 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-17 23:48:51
March 17 2014 23:47 GMT
#1207
On March 18 2014 02:29 puppykiller wrote:
Yo Zoler how good is popularityofpie at smash... I am curious.


lol, you know him from BW? I play with him one or two times a week, and he's pretty new so not THAT good yet, but he would definitely destroy any beginners pretty easily. So not that bad.

Edit: Jag insåg möjligheten att DU är Sebbe. Isf suger du noob!


On March 18 2014 04:40 Hot_Bid wrote:
i got netplay working, if any TLers live near the netherlands we can try to play online if you have good ping


I ordered an adapter for gamecube controllers recently, as soon as I get it we could play.
Lim Yo Hwan forever!
GranDGranT
Profile Joined April 2011
Sri Lanka2141 Posts
March 18 2014 00:51 GMT
#1208
I just hope we see more non Fox/falcon players
All Dota 2 casters are bad at their job
nbaker
Profile Joined July 2009
United States1341 Posts
March 18 2014 02:32 GMT
#1209
Don't be afraid to go to tournaments if you're inexperienced, guys. I know you're worried you'll get owned (and you will), but everyone's really nice and it's much easier to find people to play with than posting on TL.
puppykiller
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States3137 Posts
March 18 2014 06:22 GMT
#1210
All the local tourneys have entry fee's . I don't want to pay people to be better than me at a game that I havn't even dedicated that much time to!
Why would I play sctoo when I can play BW?
]343[
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States10328 Posts
March 18 2014 06:30 GMT
#1211
come on, $5 isn't that much plus you can play friendlies
Writer
puppykiller
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States3137 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-18 06:42:07
March 18 2014 06:39 GMT
#1212
Minnesota tournies are 10 for singles, 10 for doubles, 10 for pm, 10 for brawl singles etc... The organizer is very into "esports" and "melee's future"... I think he enjoys the action of handing money to people that are good at the game he plays.

Idk I just wish we didn't have prize pools. I've never been payed to play bw and I stil play it all the time, same with everyone I practice with. I feel like the money is really unessesary at low/mid levels.
Why would I play sctoo when I can play BW?
flamewheel
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
FREEAGLELAND26782 Posts
March 18 2014 07:15 GMT
#1213
i fucking hate trying to recover as the large man against falco's spike
Writerdamn, i was two days from retirement
]343[
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States10328 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-18 07:41:36
March 18 2014 07:39 GMT
#1214
On March 18 2014 15:39 puppykiller wrote:
Minnesota tournies are 10 for singles, 10 for doubles, 10 for pm, 10 for brawl singles etc... The organizer is very into "esports" and "melee's future"... I think he enjoys the action of handing money to people that are good at the game he plays.

Idk I just wish we didn't have prize pools. I've never been payed to play bw and I stil play it all the time, same with everyone I practice with. I feel like the money is really unessesary at low/mid levels.


ah sure, makes sense. I guess it's just harder to find opponents in smash, since it's not online (well, you can try melee online with Dolphin, but I heard it's somewhat laggy?) You can try organizing local smashfests or something, but the organizer has to put in quite a bit of logistical work to host lots of people with lots of setups

first world problems

@flamewheel: yeah man falco op ;P try mixing up your recovery: ganon has options like down-b to near the edge -> (double-jump to grab ledge or double-jump up-air -> up-b), or just up-bing very high. also, work on "sweetspotting" (ha, ganon can't sweetspot... but you can get as close as possible!) Also, if you up-b high/far onto the stage, you can fade back to grab the ledge so you don't get punished for up-b's ending lag.

From the ledge, Ganon's ledgejump, direct getup, and roll are all pretty viable, and you can practice trying to waveland onto the stage ("ledgedash"? I've never heard that term before listening to commentators talk about Hax's Fox this year...), but it's not easy for Ganon to do, since the timing is very tight and you probably have to airdodge directly sideways. (The great Chris Nicholas suggested doing a quarter-circle from down->right/left to drop off the edge and then waveland; you probably hit L/R like halfway through this? I dunno)

ofc, you should only do the waveland option after a lot of practice, because if you miss it, you die (I can only do it like 10% of the time, so I wouldn't ever try it in a serious match )

But yeah, Ganon's recovery is relatively easy to edgeguard, unfortunately, because it's slow and can't sweetspot... but at least you have more options than say, Falcon But Falco does really have lots of edgeguard options vs Ganon: dair (or bair/fair/fsmash) if he's high, dsmash if he's going to the edge (but that's techable!)
Writer
Moobla
Profile Joined May 2011
United States186 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-18 07:55:56
March 18 2014 07:54 GMT
#1215
On March 18 2014 15:39 puppykiller wrote:
Minnesota tournies are 10 for singles, 10 for doubles, 10 for pm, 10 for brawl singles etc... The organizer is very into "esports" and "melee's future"... I think he enjoys the action of handing money to people that are good at the game he plays.

Idk I just wish we didn't have prize pools. I've never been payed to play bw and I stil play it all the time, same with everyone I practice with. I feel like the money is really unessesary at low/mid levels.


Most tournaments have a venue fee in addition to a tournament fee. You could go and exclusively play friendlies(no tourney fee). If you bring a setup then usually they would waive your venue fee. So theoretically you could go play at a tournament without paying for anything.

Otherwise you should join your local Facebook group to look for smashfests. See: http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/wiki/facebook These can happen often depending on where you live. You don't need to rely on going to tournaments to get better, although they most certainly help.
"If you aren't attacking, you are probably losing." -QXC
Cixah
Profile Joined July 2010
United States11285 Posts
March 18 2014 10:03 GMT
#1216
I no longer have a melee disc, but my wii has been collecting dust so I took the leap and got my Project M stuff off of Amazon. Super excited to make use of that stuff again
Hug The Goat! Hug the Goat! Hug the Goat!
Zoler
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Sweden6339 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-18 14:25:21
March 18 2014 14:23 GMT
#1217
On March 18 2014 15:39 puppykiller wrote:
Minnesota tournies are 10 for singles, 10 for doubles, 10 for pm, 10 for brawl singles etc... The organizer is very into "esports" and "melee's future"... I think he enjoys the action of handing money to people that are good at the game he plays.

Idk I just wish we didn't have prize pools. I've never been payed to play bw and I stil play it all the time, same with everyone I practice with. I feel like the money is really unessesary at low/mid levels.


There is no rule that you have to enter the tournaments. -__-

Entry fees for getting into the venue is because if you didn't pay, they wouldn't be able to host any more tournaments so stop being a noob tbh!
Lim Yo Hwan forever!
flamewheel
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
FREEAGLELAND26782 Posts
March 18 2014 17:57 GMT
#1218
Holy fuck
Writerdamn, i was two days from retirement
]343[
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States10328 Posts
March 18 2014 18:02 GMT
#1219
yooooooooooo Ken and KDJ
Writer
Grettin
Profile Joined April 2010
42417 Posts
March 18 2014 18:07 GMT
#1220
sick news! I'm not a huge follower, but i watch what i can!
"If I had force-fields in Brood War, I'd never lose." -Bisu
Prev 1 59 60 61 62 63 188 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
herO vs ByuNLIVE!
CranKy Ducklings165
SHIN 96
CranKy Ducklings SOOP47
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 314
ByuN 303
OGKoka 280
SHIN 96
MindelVK 27
Railgan 23
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 74108
Calm 10649
Rain 2505
Bisu 1364
FanTaSy 963
soO 652
Stork 436
Soulkey 402
Shuttle 357
Rush 268
[ Show more ]
Soma 216
firebathero 206
Snow 157
Last 146
Light 113
Mind 88
Pusan 74
ToSsGirL 56
Sea.KH 48
Bale 41
Shinee 41
Killer 33
Sharp 31
Trap 31
hero 29
Hm[arnc] 28
Mong 27
Free 26
yabsab 19
Aegong 18
Sexy 18
zelot 18
Shine 17
sorry 16
HiyA 13
Sacsri 11
IntoTheRainbow 10
scan(afreeca) 10
Noble 8
Dota 2
Gorgc7836
Dendi411
League of Legends
Reynor101
Counter-Strike
x6flipin383
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King101
Other Games
gofns35287
singsing2553
byalli561
B2W.Neo509
Pyrionflax245
ToD73
Chillindude14
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV228
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 87
• Gemini_19 12
• Dystopia_ 3
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV507
League of Legends
• Jankos3168
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 960
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
3h 6m
BSL Open Qualifier
7h 6m
BSL Open Qualifier
7h 6m
OSC
11h 6m
Replay Cast
11h 6m
OSC
1d
WardiTV Weekly
1d 23h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.