• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:49
CEST 14:49
KST 21:49
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War25.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202619Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10737 users

Korean Drama Discussion - Page 21

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 19 20 21 22 23 188 Next
legatus legionis
Profile Joined October 2010
Netherlands559 Posts
February 20 2012 20:55 GMT
#401
On February 21 2012 04:34 Zorgon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 21 2012 02:46 seRapH wrote:
On February 16 2012 13:42 Zorgon wrote:
Just finished Iris.

+ Show Spoiler +
wtf that ending

fyi there's athena which is iris spinoff, so theres probs more idk never watched :D


I tried watching a couple episodes but it doesn't feel quite the same. I'll probably end up finishing it eventually though.


I recently finished it and albeit not the same, it's similar. It takes a bit to start up the actual storyline. Once it gets rolling it's pretty good but I feel it should've been condensed to a 16 episode series. That and the "acting" of Soo Ae? is what makes it a bit lackluster.*(more about this in the spoiler) Loved Cha Seung Won so much, I immediately starting growing my own facial hair like that and currently rocking it. He basically carries the show in my opinion. I also thought his side-kick Andy was a very authentic (having a unique identity/personality right?) and the actor that played it looks really cool.

+ Show Spoiler +

Don't know if this is actually a spoiler but so I can it more freely. Because she's undercover and oppressed her "acting" doesn't really change. It's due to the writing as well since the situation where emotion should be, doesn't allow for the kind of interesting emotions from her side. The WooJung? character does balance it out, sort of but indeed if you would compare that kind of love line with rollercoaster-ish love triangle in IRIS it's very bland.
Uri sarang, sarang heutendae....*tudituu duuu* owichae jaeho djuseyo.... it's wrong but still I'll never forget :o

If you are reading this without having watched Athene yet you probably don't care all that much for spoilers. If you were considering to watch it I recommend pulling the plug at around episode 16. You will know when since it's like the story that has been build up pretty much stops. And then they slap on a new mini story which I found extremely uninteresting and left me wondering, why am I still watching this....
zefreak
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States2731 Posts
February 21 2012 00:20 GMT
#402
Spekulatius, all of those movies you posted are great. If I were to rate my favorite korean movies, they would be:

3 Iron - This is my favorite Kim Ki Duk movie and it is in my opinion a must see. A true work of art.

A Bittersweet life, which you have already seen

Breathless, boy there are a lot of good korean gangster movies

Friend (chingu), speaking of good gangster movies, the one that started it all for me

Castaway on the Moon - another must see, humorous, well written, endearing

Christmas in August - the essential korean romance; slow, melancholy, introspective

Failan - a korean take on a japanese manga classic

Happiness - an intense character study disguised as a romance, one of my favorite films of all time

Love is a Crazy Thing - go into it with an open mind, nothing like the title suggests

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring.., Samaritan Girl, Breath, the bow - watch these along with 3 iron to get a taste of kim ki duk; often disturbing, always beautiful

Save the Green Planet - what a crazy movie

Memories of Murder, Joint Security Area, the Vengeance Trilogy (especially Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance), Mother, Thirst - these are all huge hits and don't need any introduction

There are many more, I have probably 200 korean movies in my collection, but these stick out as highly recommended for fans of cinema


www.gosu-sc.com - Starcraft News, Strategy and Merchandise
Spekulatius
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany2413 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-21 01:35:34
February 21 2012 01:29 GMT
#403
Will take a look into them, thanks.

I found the first part of the vengeance trilogy the least appealing to be honest. Agree to disagree? Mother was incredible, as was Memories of Murder.

I've seen Attack the Gas Station too which was, in part, funny but left a rather silly taste in the end.

Kim Ki Duk was a director that has been recommended to me but he's just not as much in the spotlight which is already small enough for Asian movies. Gonna start with 3 Iron then.

Btw, the movies I watched have a tendency to be very cruel - in a both visual (cut off body parts, blood, close ups of extremeties, no "shyness" of the camera at all) and emotional way - pain, torture, suppression, loss, separation, loneliness, hopelessness and mental illness (Mother) are recurring themes. There's very few to no movies that just leave you with a happy feeling afterwards. Some are funny, but nothing that will leave a smile on your face, it's more of a momentary distraction. Is Kim Ki Duk different? Because I feel it's slowly getting to me, that coldness.
Always smile~
Chaoz
Profile Joined March 2010
United States507 Posts
February 21 2012 02:30 GMT
#404
What are some good comedies that came out in recent years? I think the last drama I watched was Fantasy Couple.
Xkalibert
Profile Joined March 2010
United States1404 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-21 03:13:09
February 21 2012 03:11 GMT
#405
On February 21 2012 11:30 Chaoz wrote:
What are some good comedies that came out in recent years? I think the last drama I watched was Fantasy Couple.


Fantasy Couple is based of, inspired or remake of "Overboard" with Kirk Russell and Goldie Hawn
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093693/

if you like "Fantasy Couple" or Romantic Comedy, you might like
http://www.viki.com/channels/1254-my-princess
http://www.viki.com/channels/1729-mary-stayed-out-all-night
http://www.viki.com/channels/1823-maids

For comedy I like
http://www.viki.com/channels/344-the-man-who-cant-get-married/videos/4017
it's about an architect, who have OCD and bad love life.
Although I prefer Japanese Original instead of Korean remake.

It may not be Korean or new but I like this Japanese Science Fiction Comedy Satorare .
It's about a person who have rare disorder that broadcast his inner thoughts in his surrounding without his awareness. streamlink
Vharox
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States1037 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-21 04:35:54
February 21 2012 04:35 GMT
#406
On February 21 2012 09:20 zefreak wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
Spekulatius, all of those movies you posted are great. If I were to rate my favorite korean movies, they would be:

3 Iron - This is my favorite Kim Ki Duk movie and it is in my opinion a must see. A true work of art.

A Bittersweet life, which you have already seen

Breathless, boy there are a lot of good korean gangster movies

Friend (chingu), speaking of good gangster movies, the one that started it all for me

Castaway on the Moon - another must see, humorous, well written, endearing

Christmas in August - the essential korean romance; slow, melancholy, introspective

Failan - a korean take on a japanese manga classic

Happiness - an intense character study disguised as a romance, one of my favorite films of all time

Love is a Crazy Thing - go into it with an open mind, nothing like the title suggests

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring.., Samaritan Girl, Breath, the bow - watch these along with 3 iron to get a taste of kim ki duk; often disturbing, always beautiful

Save the Green Planet - what a crazy movie

Memories of Murder, Joint Security Area, the Vengeance Trilogy (especially Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance), Mother, Thirst - these are all huge hits and don't need any introduction

There are many more, I have probably 200 korean movies in my collection, but these stick out as highly recommended for fans of cinema




Dude, Happiness has to be one of my favorite films as well, and you are the first person I've seen mention/talk about it. Definitely a powerful and overlooked film. Castaway from the moon and breathless are also favorites of my own.
zefreak
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States2731 Posts
February 21 2012 06:44 GMT
#407
On February 21 2012 10:29 Spekulatius wrote:
Will take a look into them, thanks.

I found the first part of the vengeance trilogy the least appealing to be honest. Agree to disagree? Mother was incredible, as was Memories of Murder.

I've seen Attack the Gas Station too which was, in part, funny but left a rather silly taste in the end.

Kim Ki Duk was a director that has been recommended to me but he's just not as much in the spotlight which is already small enough for Asian movies. Gonna start with 3 Iron then.

Btw, the movies I watched have a tendency to be very cruel - in a both visual (cut off body parts, blood, close ups of extremeties, no "shyness" of the camera at all) and emotional way - pain, torture, suppression, loss, separation, loneliness, hopelessness and mental illness (Mother) are recurring themes. There's very few to no movies that just leave you with a happy feeling afterwards. Some are funny, but nothing that will leave a smile on your face, it's more of a momentary distraction. Is Kim Ki Duk different? Because I feel it's slowly getting to me, that coldness.


3-Iron might actually have the 'happiest' ending in all of Ki Duk's films, so it's good you are starting with it then . Even so, there are moments that are particularly painful to watch.

I feel like one of the strengths of both Kim Ki Duk and Park Chan Wook is their ability to interweave moments of levity with much darker themes. One particular scene in Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (which is my favorite, btw, partly because its the one film in the trilogy where you truly sympathize with both characters) that strikes me as one of the most powerful. It's the scene where + Show Spoiler +
after kidnapping the girl and getting the ransom money, they watch cartoons on tv and share one of the few happy moments in the whole film, which is immediately followed by one of the saddest, when his sister commits suicide.
The stark contrast (it keeps cutting back to the cartoon) is shocking and the way the scene is shot (still camera, no music) really drives home the 'coldness' that you refer to. It's one of the strengths of Korean cinema, I think, that underplaying the usual emotional tropes actually increases the emotional resonance with the viewer.

Save the Green Planet actually does this as well. Don't want to go into detail but some of the tonal shifts especially heading into the second half are extremely unsettling.

Vharox: I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. I think Happiness deserves so much more attention than it gets. It has everything: great writing, great performances, excellent pacing. It's a film where the feeling you have at the end sticks with you for days. Unfortunately, it would take me a page and a half to go into all the reasons why this movie is so good. I really recommend it to everyone.
www.gosu-sc.com - Starcraft News, Strategy and Merchandise
Xenocide_Knight
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Korea (South)2625 Posts
February 21 2012 10:15 GMT
#408
On February 21 2012 02:46 seRapH wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 16 2012 13:42 Zorgon wrote:
Just finished Iris.

+ Show Spoiler +
wtf that ending

fyi there's athena which is iris spinoff, so theres probs more idk never watched :D

I'm trying to watch Cinderella Man (for the sake of yoona) but I just can't get into it because it just seems like exactly the same thing as Shining Inheritance to me

Please tell me it gets better so I have a reason to keep going.

I personally thought Cinderella Man was kinda meh. I started because of Yoona but I just didn't feel any real chemistry between the leads. Maybe I just don't like the guy. But I really don't like Lee Seung Gi but still loved My GF is a Gumiho. So take from that what you will.
Shine[Kal] #1 fan
Vinnesta
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Singapore285 Posts
February 22 2012 22:22 GMT
#409
Is anyone following 'Take Care of Us, Captain', and do you like it? It started with great fanfare and boasts an experienced cast, but the TV ratings of recent episodes have been mediocre. I'm not sure I'd want to start watching this drama if it isn't very entertaining! I know it hasn't ended, so what do you think of it so far?

No spoilers please!
Same difference is not an oxymoron!
Turtlenoob
Profile Joined November 2011
Canada151 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-23 04:54:37
February 23 2012 04:48 GMT
#410
OMG just started watching dream high 2 !!! its actuly pretty great actuly starting to like it more and more every episode !!@! its pretty much just as good as the first one ! > but the question i have to ask is when does the new dream high come out ?? hit episode 8 and i really really cannnot wait for the next episode !!!! ^_^


PS LIAN (Ji Yeon from t-ara) IS SO GOOD LOOKING !!!!!1
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
February 23 2012 04:58 GMT
#411
Dream High airs on Monday and Tuesday. You're probably the first person I know who likes DH2 just as much as DH1 -_- Sora is such an annoying, dumb, and unlikable character and Jiyeon always has the same facial expression...
theUnderDog
Profile Joined September 2011
Canada4 Posts
February 23 2012 05:06 GMT
#412
On February 18 2012 01:13 unichan wrote:
what do you gu ys think of historical dramas? so far i have watched 0 because well, historical drama. is it like really historical drama-ey or are the good ones interesting and refreshing breaks from your regular modern day drama storyline?


Comrades is a really good historical drama. Plenty of action and the ending scene in the last episode hit the heart pretty hard.
Turtlenoob
Profile Joined November 2011
Canada151 Posts
February 24 2012 00:49 GMT
#413
On February 23 2012 13:58 skyR wrote:
Dream High airs on Monday and Tuesday. You're probably the first person I know who likes DH2 just as much as DH1 -_- Sora is such an annoying, dumb, and unlikable character and Jiyeon always has the same facial expression...



thank you !! =P idk i find her acting quite funny tbh ! its not as good as the first one but its like kinda close ! cannot wait till next monday and tuesday it just started getting good !
Spekulatius
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany2413 Posts
February 24 2012 01:22 GMT
#414
Talking about Korean cinema:



Among others, Tarantino includes Memories of Murder, The Host, Audition and Battle Royale in his personal list of the best films made since 1992 (the year he debuted as a director).
I always considered him as a very intriguing wacko - I loved his movies which certainly represent his extravangant character - so I shouldn't be surprised at all to see him being fascinated by the same movies that amazed me. All the more as he's known for referencing Asian cinema throughout his movies (notably in Kill Bill: The bride's yellow/black Jackie chan suit, Meiko Kaji's soundtrack, the fighting scenes, etc.).
Always smile~
andyrau
Profile Joined December 2010
13015 Posts
February 24 2012 01:23 GMT
#415
@Spekulatius
are you actually that trip on /tv/ or was that just an image you saved?

On February 23 2012 13:58 skyR wrote:
Dream High airs on Monday and Tuesday. You're probably the first person I know who likes DH2 just as much as DH1 -_- Sora is such an annoying, dumb, and unlikable character and Jiyeon always has the same facial expression...

they're both terrible. plotlines are linear but cliche and predictable, amateur acting, poor character development, unlikable protagonists, terrible everything really.
dh soundtrack was also pretty mediocre for the amount of idols they had in it.
"Zai is legitimately not as good as bulba." | kaipi ti3 champions
Spekulatius
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany2413 Posts
February 24 2012 01:42 GMT
#416
I assume you refer to kpopchan? I didn't make that compilation, I just found it somewhere, might've been on kpopchan, yea. It's been some time since I've been on there, don't really remember.
Always smile~
Turtlenoob
Profile Joined November 2011
Canada151 Posts
February 24 2012 03:25 GMT
#417
On February 24 2012 10:23 andyrau wrote:
@Spekulatius
are you actually that trip on /tv/ or was that just an image you saved?

Show nested quote +
On February 23 2012 13:58 skyR wrote:
Dream High airs on Monday and Tuesday. You're probably the first person I know who likes DH2 just as much as DH1 -_- Sora is such an annoying, dumb, and unlikable character and Jiyeon always has the same facial expression...

they're both terrible. plotlines are linear but cliche and predictable, amateur acting, poor character development, unlikable protagonists, terrible everything really.
dh soundtrack was also pretty mediocre for the amount of idols they had in it.


the terrible thing is you are actuly 100% correct D; but its oddly funny and some how watchable . i think the koreans make doing cheezy and predictiable plots dooable somehow they are so awsome at making shows !!
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
February 24 2012 09:31 GMT
#418
I enjoyed DH1. Yes, the plot was cliche and predictable but that can be said for most of the other kdramas as well. Suzy was likeable but maybe it's just me and my love for tsunderes. I thought character development in DH1 was pretty decent whereas it's way too slow / non existent so far in DH2.
DystopiaX
Profile Joined October 2010
United States16236 Posts
February 24 2012 09:32 GMT
#419
On February 23 2012 13:58 skyR wrote:
Dream High airs on Monday and Tuesday. You're probably the first person I know who likes DH2 just as much as DH1 -_- Sora is such an annoying, dumb, and unlikable character and Jiyeon always has the same facial expression...

Agree with the Sora bit. No idea why we're supposed to cheer her on to become a star when it's clear she's whiny and untalented. Like, there goes the whole "you should earn it" bit?
Timurid
Profile Joined April 2011
Guyana (French)656 Posts
February 24 2012 23:34 GMT
#420
Is there any good shows that are similar to IRIS and City Hunter. I already saw Athena btw.
Prev 1 19 20 21 22 23 188 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 10h 11m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
LamboSC2 319
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 32607
Calm 6777
Rain 1775
Bisu 1679
Jaedong 692
FanTaSy 584
Horang2 557
BeSt 390
Rush 334
Stork 302
[ Show more ]
Soma 243
Zeus 193
Larva 156
Light 138
Free 125
Snow 120
ZerO 104
Mind 99
910 83
Barracks 75
Mong 74
Pusan 64
Killer 57
Sea.KH 49
Hyun 41
ToSsGirL 35
NaDa 33
Shinee 29
Sexy 23
Aegong 21
Hm[arnc] 18
sorry 18
Terrorterran 18
Noble 14
Sacsri 7
Icarus 1
Dota 2
Gorgc6738
Counter-Strike
fl0m2888
olofmeister1027
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King93
Other Games
gofns34203
singsing2113
B2W.Neo719
Lowko284
crisheroes277
hiko237
RotterdaM57
ZerO(Twitch)5
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 9
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2922
• Jankos2823
• TFBlade222
Other Games
• WagamamaTV179
Upcoming Events
OSC
10h 11m
Big Brain Bouts
21h 11m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 4h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 6h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 21h
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.