• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:49
CEST 00:49
KST 07:49
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War655.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
[Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 547 Temple Of Terror Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Ziemie's Starcraft 1 Prequel Campaign Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12295 users

Going on "Leave" from University to play DotA 2 - Page 35

Forum Index > Dota 2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 33 34 35 36 37 Next All
theqat
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States2856 Posts
November 26 2012 21:15 GMT
#681
I saw this thread and didn't think much of it--most threads about "going pro" in the history of TL have been pretty dumb and fruitless. I'm really happy to see this one didn't go the same way. Congrats EE! Best of luck as time goes on.
Rebs
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Pakistan10726 Posts
November 26 2012 21:48 GMT
#682
On November 27 2012 01:55 Firebolt145 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 27 2012 01:53 starchosengirl wrote:
To be completely frank this is a terrible idea. It almost sounds like you're brainwashed into thinking that playing professional level dota 2 will make you rich or as successful as the recent no tidehunters .... (yea, don't you need a team ?)

If you REALLY want to do this, I recommend learning an instrument, taking up writing or spending a few weeks alone camping.. to .. you know, think about things. this is a really, really bad idea.

Read the last few pages.


Probably a troll acount..
Clarityxo
Profile Joined April 2011
Scotland174 Posts
November 26 2012 21:58 GMT
#683
On November 27 2012 01:53 starchosengirl wrote:
To be completely frank this is a terrible idea. It almost sounds like you're brainwashed into thinking that playing professional level dota 2 will make you rich or as successful as the recent no tidehunters .... (yea, don't you need a team ?)

If you REALLY want to do this, I recommend learning an instrument, taking up writing or spending a few weeks alone camping.. to .. you know, think about things. this is a really, really bad idea.

EDIT... Holy shit I think I'm really missing something here.... LOL

pro tip: read the comments before posting,
anyway, the point stands, for ANYONE ELSE this is probably a terrible idea. lol


Best post in the whole thread, seriously.
5-s
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1674 Posts
November 26 2012 23:51 GMT
#684
On November 27 2012 02:35 DDie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 27 2012 00:35 TheWarbler wrote:
EE improved a lot and played great and lead his team well. Butttt winning 1 tounrment does not mean his going leave has been worth it.



He dropped college to purseu a progaming career, in less than a year he founded NTH, managed to recruit two dota stars and won their first lan (dreamhack) in convincing fashion against empire and EG.


Worth it so far (money wise)? Probably not, but he is doing exceptionally well and far, far beyond most TL'ers initial expectations.

This is right - financially he'll never make up for the missed year of wages / schooling (assuming he could do well enough to land a job after his engineering degree), unless he does very well at the next TI, but at least he's doing something he enjoys and able to support himself somewhat.
I liked Dota before it was Mainstream.
teapoted
Profile Joined August 2012
United Kingdom24425 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-27 00:02:23
November 27 2012 00:00 GMT
#685
People do realize that plenty take a year off before / early college? It's really not the end of the world especially when your plan has some potential of giving you something back.

And now that he's won DH he could stream again and with the gained notoriety probably make enough to get by. (not to mention sponsors)
Once you Goblak...
XX
Profile Joined October 2012
17 Posts
November 27 2012 00:33 GMT
#686
well i hope you enjoy it and make some money out of the experience
X
lilopuppy
Profile Joined August 2012
Philippines542 Posts
November 27 2012 07:12 GMT
#687
Congrats.
All the way to TI322!
Implenia
Profile Joined August 2012
Austria3846 Posts
November 28 2012 01:02 GMT
#688
Follow him: https://twitter.com/EternaLEnVy1991
Haters
Profile Joined October 2010
14 Posts
November 28 2012 01:35 GMT
#689
Pretty amazing that this actually happened. Big congrats for successfully carrying it out.
DrTJEckleburg
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States1080 Posts
November 28 2012 02:38 GMT
#690
#1 on the newest DotaCinema Top 10 weekly for EternalEnvy, if that carries any weight(that's all I do related to Dota 2.) :D
Im pretty good at whistling with my hands, especially when Im holding a whistle.
EternaLEnVy
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada513 Posts
November 29 2012 07:44 GMT
#691
I stopped following this thread soon after its creation. It's amazing how it ended up turning out. It made me really happy reading all the comments from bad to good after the DH win. Thank you to the believers who gave me support :D, and those that gave good input.

I will post my current thoughts on the path I am pursuing with a look into the numbers and the feelings involved, the experience I've had, what really happened, etc.

I should probably make it a thread huh.
Hell in my head
lazyitachi
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
1043 Posts
November 29 2012 08:18 GMT
#692
On November 29 2012 16:44 EternaLEnVy wrote:
I stopped following this thread soon after its creation. It's amazing how it ended up turning out. It made me really happy reading all the comments from bad to good after the DH win. Thank you to the believers who gave me support :D, and those that gave good input.

I will post my current thoughts on the path I am pursuing with a look into the numbers and the feelings involved, the experience I've had, what really happened, etc.

I should probably make it a thread huh.



Grats on the win!
Nice to see you have found initial success! Here's to more in the future!

New thread pls.
r.Evo
Profile Joined August 2006
Germany14081 Posts
November 29 2012 08:20 GMT
#693
On November 29 2012 16:44 EternaLEnVy wrote:
I stopped following this thread soon after its creation. It's amazing how it ended up turning out. It made me really happy reading all the comments from bad to good after the DH win. Thank you to the believers who gave me support :D, and those that gave good input.

I will post my current thoughts on the path I am pursuing with a look into the numbers and the feelings involved, the experience I've had, what really happened, etc.

I should probably make it a thread huh.

Hey, where are those 10-11 hours of daily streaming you promised us? =P
"We don't make mistakes here, we call it happy little accidents." ~Bob Ross
EternaLEnVy
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada513 Posts
November 29 2012 08:25 GMT
#694
T_T, I'll answer everything I can on the new thread that I'll make tomorrow. Including streaming hours, and other streaming related stuff.
Hell in my head
zoglug
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
United Kingdom56 Posts
November 29 2012 14:53 GMT
#695
I read this thread about a week ago, before DH and was not surprised by the initial responses. The story was very similar to a situation i found myself in.

When at uni, a friend of mine decided with only 1 year to go, to take a break and try to play darts professionally (in the UK its pretty big here!). He was always a good player, but i thought at the time he was stupid to do so! I tried profusely to continue with uni, finish it off and try and do the darts things after he had graduated. However, he wouldnt listen, i told him he was stupid not to finish his education. He proved me wrong when in 2008 he won the world championship and i was forced to admit how wrong i was. Which i did so with a smile on my face over a pint.

It shows that with enough dedication and hard work, you can achieve your dreams! And at the end of the day, its what matters in life, that you are doing what makes you happy and makes you get out of bed!

ps, I enjoyed watching your stream for a bit last night, made me want to play a quick game!

Cheers

Zog
You cant see where you are going......if you constantly look at where you have been
NrG.Bamboo
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
United States2756 Posts
November 30 2012 01:46 GMT
#696
I'll be honest; after initially reading this thread, I really thought you sounded like quite the arrogant dickhead. However, after seeing your success as far as team-joining and your recent performances, I can only say congrats.

You definitely turned my view of you around; you have been playing beautifully and I completely respect anyone willing to postpone a safe, successful career for the potential to achieve a dream like yours.

s2
I need to protect all your life you can enjoy the vibrant life of your battery
theslayer922
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
Canada304 Posts
November 30 2012 03:50 GMT
#697
Congrats on Dreamhack man, you deserve it!
In the Donger I Trust
Franthier
Profile Joined November 2012
China64 Posts
November 30 2012 04:08 GMT
#698
Seriously man, I think you should just focus on school, finish it and then go pro in DOTA 2. If you start playing DOTA 2 now and put your studies on hold, you won't have the same focus and drive when you come back to finish school. You will probably fail horrendously when you come back. Don't make that mistake. I know school fucking sucks, just suck it up and finish it. It is not worth the trouble and time to do what you plan to do.
Impervious
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Canada4222 Posts
November 30 2012 04:22 GMT
#699
Congratulations on your recent win!

Regardless of the outcome though, I truly believe that this was a stupid move on your part. I also was studying Engineering, and had to drop out due to financial problems a year and a half ago. I have been trying to go back, and have been unable to, which has been incredibly frustrating, and I am actually no closer to going back than I was a year ago. The economy is absolute shit right now.

Yes, I'm sure you worked really hard to pull a team together and get the win, but you also had to have a lot of luck along the way. You were definitely walking a fine line where any number of small things could have screwed you over (many of which would have not been in your control). And you definitely had a lot of help from other people along the way. Remember to thank them. Because, in the real world, hard work is not enough. A lot of people work hard, yet very few become successful.
~ \(ˌ)im-ˈpər-vē-əs\ : not capable of being damaged or harmed.
PSIDefenseUp
Profile Joined January 2011
United States251 Posts
November 30 2012 04:23 GMT
#700
Really glad it worked out for you.

Was wondering if/when you were going to check back on this thread with it coming up continually. Good to hear there'll be a nice followup.
EternaLAniMe1991
Prev 1 33 34 35 36 37 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #3
ZZZero.O138
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 11149
Artosis 442
White-Ra 192
ZZZero.O 138
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm168
League of Legends
Doublelift5305
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4422
Other Games
summit1g8216
FrodaN2611
Liquid`RaSZi2001
C9.Mang0358
ToD195
Livibee193
Pyrionflax124
Maynarde64
Mew2King54
ArmadaUGS41
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1104
StarCraft 2
CranKy Ducklings1
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 135
• musti20045 35
• HeavenSC 32
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
• Sammyuel 0
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1469
• Shiphtur643
• Scarra497
Upcoming Events
OSC
11m
Replay Cast
11m
OSC
13h 11m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 12h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
[ Show More ]
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.