• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:53
CEST 00:53
KST 07:53
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2317
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BSL Season 23 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10264 users

Going on "Leave" from University to play DotA 2 - Page 36

Forum Index > Dota 2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 34 35 36 37 Next All
beamingrobot
Profile Joined October 2010
United States685 Posts
November 30 2012 05:42 GMT
#701
On November 30 2012 13:08 Franthier wrote:
Seriously man, I think you should just focus on school, finish it and then go pro in DOTA 2. If you start playing DOTA 2 now and put your studies on hold, you won't have the same focus and drive when you come back to finish school. You will probably fail horrendously when you come back. Don't make that mistake. I know school fucking sucks, just suck it up and finish it. It is not worth the trouble and time to do what you plan to do.


Did you even read the thread?
yokohama
Profile Joined February 2005
United States1116 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-30 10:13:05
November 30 2012 10:12 GMT
#702
On November 30 2012 13:08 Franthier wrote:
Seriously man, I think you should just focus on school, finish it and then go pro in DOTA 2. If you start playing DOTA 2 now and put your studies on hold, you won't have the same focus and drive when you come back to finish school. You will probably fail horrendously when you come back. Don't make that mistake. I know school fucking sucks, just suck it up and finish it. It is not worth the trouble and time to do what you plan to do.


Thread is from a year ago, he just won Dreamhack,which is what was with the bump. I don't think he is too worried about his studies at the moment after that success. You should read the thread : D
Kznn
Profile Joined March 2011
Brazil9072 Posts
November 30 2012 12:57 GMT
#703
On November 27 2012 01:53 starchosengirl wrote:
To be completely frank this is a terrible idea. It almost sounds like you're brainwashed into thinking that playing professional level dota 2 will make you rich or as successful as the recent no tidehunters .... (yea, don't you need a team ?)

If you REALLY want to do this, I recommend learning an instrument, taking up writing or spending a few weeks alone camping.. to .. you know, think about things. this is a really, really bad idea.

EDIT... Holy shit I think I'm really missing something here.... LOL

pro tip: read the comments before posting,
anyway, the point stands, for ANYONE ELSE this is probably a terrible idea. lol


HAHAHAHAH
so good.
Greyhawk
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Australia110 Posts
December 03 2012 01:44 GMT
#704
Not sure if people read where he said that he is able to go back to school if his plan to become a pro gamer fails.. and 1-2 years isn't much, i have no idea where people are bringing up the "5 years of lost income" from... =/

Great job, EternalEnVy! You've done well and you've definitely proved many people wrong with your recent success!
All the best for future tournaments and hope to find out who your new sponsor is soon. Can't wait to hear the news!

PS. Have fun in the new team house that I heard you're moving into in the near future!
ShoCk-
ChiIIgetoutGG
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada101 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-10 03:43:33
December 10 2012 03:38 GMT
#705
So, the results of Thor Open are out.
"Seriously quit this business already, you are immature, not even good caster and TAKE ADVANTAGE OF YOUR GENDER."
INTENZ-_-
Profile Joined August 2012
Sweden137 Posts
December 10 2012 05:04 GMT
#706
If you have a dream; you should pursue it, right? This argument about lost income and education is something I don't get unless you are very elitist and think only about your professional career as something die hard where there is no room for any failure at all. It is not like he is throwing away his entire professional life doing this albeit he might lose two-three years of his career.

I think the people who argue this is either gonna be envy's parents or some mad jelly nerds (like 5-s) or the entire NADotA forum.

User was temp banned for this post.
craz3d
Profile Joined August 2005
Bulgaria856 Posts
December 10 2012 07:53 GMT
#707
On December 10 2012 14:04 INTENZ-_- wrote:
If you have a dream; you should pursue it, right? This argument about lost income and education is something I don't get unless you are very elitist and think only about your professional career as something die hard where there is no room for any failure at all. It is not like he is throwing away his entire professional life doing this albeit he might lose two-three years of his career.


I agree with this. In exchange for those two or three years of "lost income" (how do you lose something you never had in the first place?) he receives a feeling of satisfaction and fulfillment at having put forth an honest effort to play professional DotA. He's gonna have 40-50 years of work in the field of engineering and will make more than enough money to live comfortably and support a family.

Hindsight is 20/20, but EE had high chances to make it as a pro due to his DotA1/HoN background. It seems that people mistook him for an average "bronze league" pubber when in fact he was already playing and scrimming with good players for years. Still, guaranteed success is never 100% in any endeavor, so hats off to you EE!
Hello World!
ChiIIgetoutGG
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada101 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-15 03:34:16
December 13 2012 00:36 GMT
#708
An EG Rematch versus EternalEnvy's NTH this coming Friday in a BO5.
Recent results:
NTH > DD
NTH < VirtusPro
"Seriously quit this business already, you are immature, not even good caster and TAKE ADVANTAGE OF YOUR GENDER."
Jaaaaasper
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
United States10225 Posts
December 13 2012 00:52 GMT
#709
Welp, some people in the start of this thread have some egg on their face. Gl in the future EE!
Hey do you want to hear a joke? Chinese production value. | I thought he had a aegis- Ayesee | When did 7ing mad last have a good game, 2012?
ChiIIgetoutGG
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada101 Posts
December 15 2012 03:34 GMT
#710
EG wins the DreamHack rematch today winning EternalEnvy's NTH in a BO5.
"Seriously quit this business already, you are immature, not even good caster and TAKE ADVANTAGE OF YOUR GENDER."
fuzzy_panda
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
New Zealand1681 Posts
January 03 2013 04:18 GMT
#711
Just wanted to bump the thread for this

EternalEnvy at 3:00!

5-s
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1674 Posts
January 03 2013 04:50 GMT
#712
On December 10 2012 14:04 INTENZ-_- wrote:
If you have a dream; you should pursue it, right? This argument about lost income and education is something I don't get unless you are very elitist and think only about your professional career as something die hard where there is no room for any failure at all. It is not like he is throwing away his entire professional life doing this albeit he might lose two-three years of his career.

I think the people who argue this is either gonna be envy's parents or some mad jelly nerds (like 5-s) or the entire NADotA forum.

Might be dangerous even replying to this, but I'm hardly jealous of Envy. I've played at a competitive level, have won some money before (no, not as much as EE, but there weren't many big tournaments when I played). Streaming probably could've made me more if I kept up with it. But at this point, I'm good friends with a good number of the pro players including players on Liquid and LGD.int, and I often give them general advice about random things. If one of my friends like bulba said he wanted to drop out to play fulltime, I'd give him the same exact advice: finish up your degree since Dota isn't forever. I don't know EE well, but I do know the dota scene and I was also in an engineering program, so I know that it's far more profitable to finish up your engineering degree in 99% of circumstances. That said, I want the scene to prosper more than anything, so hopefully NTH does find further success.
I liked Dota before it was Mainstream.
rabidch
Profile Joined January 2010
United States20289 Posts
January 03 2013 05:17 GMT
#713
On January 03 2013 13:50 5-s wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 10 2012 14:04 INTENZ-_- wrote:
If you have a dream; you should pursue it, right? This argument about lost income and education is something I don't get unless you are very elitist and think only about your professional career as something die hard where there is no room for any failure at all. It is not like he is throwing away his entire professional life doing this albeit he might lose two-three years of his career.

I think the people who argue this is either gonna be envy's parents or some mad jelly nerds (like 5-s) or the entire NADotA forum.

Might be dangerous even replying to this, but I'm hardly jealous of Envy. I've played at a competitive level, have won some money before (no, not as much as EE, but there weren't many big tournaments when I played). Streaming probably could've made me more if I kept up with it. But at this point, I'm good friends with a good number of the pro players including players on Liquid and LGD.int, and I often give them general advice about random things. If one of my friends like bulba said he wanted to drop out to play fulltime, I'd give him the same exact advice: finish up your degree since Dota isn't forever. I don't know EE well, but I do know the dota scene and I was also in an engineering program, so I know that it's far more profitable to finish up your engineering degree in 99% of circumstances. That said, I want the scene to prosper more than anything, so hopefully NTH does find further success.

5 "Real DotA Nigga" -s
LiquidDota StaffOnly a true king can play the King.
5-s
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1674 Posts
January 03 2013 05:45 GMT
#714
On January 03 2013 14:17 rabidch wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 03 2013 13:50 5-s wrote:
On December 10 2012 14:04 INTENZ-_- wrote:
If you have a dream; you should pursue it, right? This argument about lost income and education is something I don't get unless you are very elitist and think only about your professional career as something die hard where there is no room for any failure at all. It is not like he is throwing away his entire professional life doing this albeit he might lose two-three years of his career.

I think the people who argue this is either gonna be envy's parents or some mad jelly nerds (like 5-s) or the entire NADotA forum.

Might be dangerous even replying to this, but I'm hardly jealous of Envy. I've played at a competitive level, have won some money before (no, not as much as EE, but there weren't many big tournaments when I played). Streaming probably could've made me more if I kept up with it. But at this point, I'm good friends with a good number of the pro players including players on Liquid and LGD.int, and I often give them general advice about random things. If one of my friends like bulba said he wanted to drop out to play fulltime, I'd give him the same exact advice: finish up your degree since Dota isn't forever. I don't know EE well, but I do know the dota scene and I was also in an engineering program, so I know that it's far more profitable to finish up your engineering degree in 99% of circumstances. That said, I want the scene to prosper more than anything, so hopefully NTH does find further success.

5 "Real DotA Nigga" -s

Also parents are usually decent people, don't hate on them.
I liked Dota before it was Mainstream.
rabidch
Profile Joined January 2010
United States20289 Posts
January 03 2013 05:46 GMT
#715
On January 03 2013 14:45 5-s wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 03 2013 14:17 rabidch wrote:
On January 03 2013 13:50 5-s wrote:
On December 10 2012 14:04 INTENZ-_- wrote:
If you have a dream; you should pursue it, right? This argument about lost income and education is something I don't get unless you are very elitist and think only about your professional career as something die hard where there is no room for any failure at all. It is not like he is throwing away his entire professional life doing this albeit he might lose two-three years of his career.

I think the people who argue this is either gonna be envy's parents or some mad jelly nerds (like 5-s) or the entire NADotA forum.

Might be dangerous even replying to this, but I'm hardly jealous of Envy. I've played at a competitive level, have won some money before (no, not as much as EE, but there weren't many big tournaments when I played). Streaming probably could've made me more if I kept up with it. But at this point, I'm good friends with a good number of the pro players including players on Liquid and LGD.int, and I often give them general advice about random things. If one of my friends like bulba said he wanted to drop out to play fulltime, I'd give him the same exact advice: finish up your degree since Dota isn't forever. I don't know EE well, but I do know the dota scene and I was also in an engineering program, so I know that it's far more profitable to finish up your engineering degree in 99% of circumstances. That said, I want the scene to prosper more than anything, so hopefully NTH does find further success.

5 "Real DotA Nigga" -s

Also parents are usually decent people, don't hate on them.

Not hating, just keeping it real.
LiquidDota StaffOnly a true king can play the King.
Avs
Profile Joined November 2010
Korea (North)857 Posts
January 03 2013 20:00 GMT
#716
People are saying NTH lost today because you didn't call the shots.
RoboPandaCop
Profile Joined January 2013
United States3 Posts
January 04 2013 20:37 GMT
#717
On January 04 2013 05:00 Avs wrote:
People are saying NTH lost today because you didn't call the shots.


NTH vs Turtle I assume? If so, I guess yeah, the draft was too cookie cutter and not really good against turtle's aggressive line up. S4 played really really well but it felt like the team was heavily depending on batrider. The Rubik was pretty transparent through out the game.
Mellois
Profile Joined July 2010
United States56 Posts
January 04 2013 21:24 GMT
#718
Late to the party, but congrats :D
"Be formless, shapeless, like water." - Bruce Lee
Dracolich70
Profile Joined May 2011
Denmark3820 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-05 01:54:14
January 05 2013 01:50 GMT
#719
I always go back to read this thread, when I want a good chuckle and a poetic tear in the corner of my eye.

People meant well, but it is still kind of ironic on a huge gaming site with so many wonderful dreamers with exceptional autodidact skill sets, nonetheless.

LiangHao
SilverStar
Profile Joined January 2012
Sweden18511 Posts
January 07 2013 02:51 GMT
#720
Any updates on nth? Haven't heard in a while from them
Prev 1 34 35 36 37 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 179
Nina 125
SteadfastSC 65
CosmosSc2 24
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 519
910 58
Bale 11
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm58
League of Legends
Doublelift2249
Super Smash Bros
PPMD55
Other Games
summit1g9049
Grubby3010
shahzam701
C9.Mang0272
PiGStarcraft222
Maynarde84
Liquid`Ken10
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream23
Other Games
gamesdonequick0
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 107
• musti20045 43
• davetesta9
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP3
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21519
Other Games
• imaqtpie681
• Shiphtur277
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
7m
CranKy Ducklings1
Afreeca Starleague
11h 7m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
12h 7m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 1h
Patches Events
1d 17h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
OSC
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.