• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:13
CEST 13:13
KST 20:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup5StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BSL Season 23 BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9469 users

Monk - Builds/Discussion - Page 17

Forum Index > Diablo 3
Post a Reply
Prev 1 15 16 17 18 19 141 Next
Medrea
Profile Joined May 2011
10003 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-24 18:02:12
May 24 2012 18:01 GMT
#321
Bosses are not the problem with inferno. Champions and rare packs are (past act 1). Life steal is pointless until you get a huge amount of it since in Inferno its nerfed to 20 or something percent effectiveness. Better to have HP per hit. Or in reality, resistances.
twitch.tv/medrea
semantics
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
10040 Posts
May 24 2012 18:06 GMT
#322
On May 25 2012 03:01 Medrea wrote:
Bosses are not the problem with inferno. Champions and rare packs are (past act 1). Life steal is pointless until you get a huge amount of it since in Inferno its nerfed to 20 or something percent effectiveness. Better to have HP per hit. Or in reality, resistances.

It's more like 1% or something because it's a % of a %. I agree with hp per hit statement is better, and i'd say as a monk who has many healing opitions just getting a ton of resistances works too, all you do is you look for items that are +x resistance +all resistances to get easy 60 70's in one area and just use one with all passive. Or have 100mil gold to buy really good items XD
VoirDire
Profile Joined February 2009
Sweden1923 Posts
May 24 2012 18:14 GMT
#323
Does +life on hit work with way of the hundreds fists? The second attack is 7 hits, do you get life for each of those hits?
Pangolin
Profile Joined March 2008
United States1035 Posts
May 24 2012 18:16 GMT
#324
I always use sweeping wind, but it's partially because I have a monk helm with +5% sweeping wind damage. I'm still testing things out in inferno though, I can't really stand next to things for sweeping wind to do damage without me dying.

This is the build I use for running in hell: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aTgihj!XYU!aYaccc
I find thunderclap to be irreplaceable when using sweeping wind, as it allows you to keep your stacks by teleport-punching environmental objects between fights. I basically use 7-sided strike as a second serenity since you are invincible as it happens.

For changing the build to work in inferno, I know the earth ally is useless since he dies too fast. Also, I will want to change my mantra to something more defensive. Any other advice for an inferno build would be helpful though.
It's easier not to.
Medrea
Profile Joined May 2011
10003 Posts
May 24 2012 18:20 GMT
#325
On May 25 2012 03:14 VoirDire wrote:
Does +life on hit work with way of the hundreds fists? The second attack is 7 hits, do you get life for each of those hits?


No the second attack is just one attack spread over 7 hits. Would love confirmation though.
twitch.tv/medrea
Gimix
Profile Joined October 2010
United States67 Posts
May 24 2012 18:28 GMT
#326
I can do parts of A2 inferno.

I've dropped sweeping wind from my inferno builds - it's great dps but it has a high spirit cost and you can't afford to stand next to champions long anyway (at least in A2). Instead, I use seven-sided-fist with the 7 second stun rune - great dps and invuln.

I'm also using lashing tail kick with sweeping armada. This ability has so many uses - clear surrounding mobs, interrupt mobs attacks, it even works on champions.

I've switched passives around. I don't use transcendence anymore - the heal isn't useful in inferno anymore. Instead I have the 2 spirit a second passive which allows me to free up my mantra of healing run to the one that boosts resists 20%. I absolutely MUST have some form of spirit regen in inferno as attacks can easily take 1/4-1/3 of my health.

Besides these I go the standard heal and serenity.
Serpico
Profile Joined May 2010
4285 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-24 18:36:19
May 24 2012 18:35 GMT
#327
On May 25 2012 03:20 Medrea wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 25 2012 03:14 VoirDire wrote:
Does +life on hit work with way of the hundreds fists? The second attack is 7 hits, do you get life for each of those hits?


No the second attack is just one attack spread over 7 hits. Would love confirmation though.

I used the 10 attack rune just for that purpose : /. I'm actually doing pretty well farming act 1 now trying to build up more resists (that and dodge is all that matters for me it seems once I can build back up to 40k hp since I stacked IAS). Act 2 is just a stupid resist gear check and even then the mosquitos are hilariously OP against me. I have 1.91 A/s and have fooled around with WOHF and the IAS rune and the 250% wpn dmg rune. Unfortunately with the MOH nerf I now use the conviction aura with the 24% upgrade rune in its place. It feels like blizzard is being sloppy and knee jerk with some things like MOH, which to my knowledge was functioning properly in regards to the tooltip. Both players and blizzard seem to be on edge about a lot of the issues (and the AH being crap and offline too much).
HyunA
Profile Joined July 2010
Romania362 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-24 19:24:29
May 24 2012 19:14 GMT
#328
i'm just trying a new build with all-in on dex, crit chance/dmg and ias plus the scoundrel follower equipped with as much dexterity as i can. currently i did well in act 1 inferno and i just beat leoric easely. most of the time i have to kite kinda long elite packs and die 1-2-3 times, but that doesn't bother me very much.
my stats: 1.8k dex, 19k base dmg (can reach 25k with buffs), 32k hp.

build: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#bijXgk!dYX!cbbbaa . i change some stuff around the build sometimes, but that's the core, i think.

i know act 2 is waaaay harder, but i'm just saying.

what do you guys think? am i being too naive thinking monk can do dps or our beautiful class is doomed to support/tank?
Medrea
Profile Joined May 2011
10003 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-24 21:19:42
May 24 2012 20:47 GMT
#329
It doesnt matter what you think because Act 2 3 and 4 are broken and in need of a retune (Less punishing melee, quirks).

But one thing that wont change is you need lots of resistances.

I have 43k life 5k armor 483 all resistances. Still not enough although normal white mobs in Act 2 arent terribly scary as long as I dont get too many of them. Also have 16k DPS.
twitch.tv/medrea
hellsan631
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States695 Posts
May 24 2012 22:23 GMT
#330
So I started inferno with a mainly offensive focused build. Meaning, I had sweeping wind + 3 defensive abilities & mantra. This did not work, as I died too fast, wasn't geared enough, etc. I've messed around with a lot of builds, and both abilities and gear (I have 3 gear sets now, worth some pretty good money). So, here Is a little outline of what you should run if your having problems. This build/mentality has been tested into act 4 of inferno.

The Gear: - General rules to gearing with every monk.

- Offensive Rules:

Sword and Board. Meaning, you want a 1-H and a shield. This is pretty standard, as the armor is nice, and the DPS increase from duel wield isn't too big, that you can just add in some dex on your shield and call it good.
1-H's are king. 2H are just bad on monks. Not only would they give you less DPS and stats then a comparable dual wield combo, you also attack way slower, meaning your spirit generation sucks.
Attack Speed #1. The DPS increase from attack-speed is crazy. Not only is 1% attack speed better then +10 dex (at +400 dex), it scales the more dex you get. at about 1000 dex, your dps gains are around are around 10% of your weapon DPS per 1% attack speed.
Main hand be fast. Your Main hand should be as fast as possible. This is so you generate spirit fast enough to always keep your mantra's 2nd ability up. This also helps with healing, as the synergy with transcendence means you will heal for 3k each 3-4 seconds. your attack speed should be around 2.3-2.4 attacks per second to sustain this.
Gotta go fast.. - Sonic

- Defensive Rules:

40k HP is good enough. Having more hp then 40k is a good idea, but once you hit around 40k, you want to focus on gearing for resistances, and making sure that actual HP is larger then your seen HP.
Dex is a good defensive stat. While the scaling for dodge is at an all-time low when you hit around 1k Dex, you do want to focus on a more offensive gear build while adding in +dex, +resistance, +life, and +attack speed.
Stack in 1 resistance. "One With Everything" is the best passive for inferno. Hands down. Every item you should get should have some kind of +all resistance, or +X resistance (X being the one resistance you choose to stack for).
+Life %1 gives around +3 Vitality for every 10k HP you have. Don't sacrifice 10-20 +vit just for a % in life. Getting both, together, is good. But just getting +life isn't.
Its probably not a good idea to stand in that puddle of acid while tanking a boss.

The Build:
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#bgYXTh!UYX!ZYbZba

While there are most certainly more viable builds out there, the build I run (this one) allows almost anyone to clear most elite/champ groups fairly easily.

When tanking a group, make sure you have the 2nd effect of the mantra up, boosting your +dodge to around 60%, and healing you as often as you can use it. When you get to half health, or when they try and freeze you, use Serenity and heal with BoH. Every so often, when they are hitting you more then they should be, use your blinding flash. (I consider the blinding echo rune to be the best, as with most champs, it often blinds them right before they attack, or mid swing, meaning its more effective usually, then any other rune)

If you are about to die, use your 7 Kicks to disengage, or just to save you from dmg and use a quick health pot.


This build should help you at least get to a point where you can farm gear (butcher). This build also works well into act 2&3 of inferno.
Levistus
Profile Joined December 2009
1134 Posts
May 24 2012 22:26 GMT
#331
hey guys i'm level 22. i use fists of thunder with thunderclap and crippling wave with mangle. am i going to be using these forever? i want to be a dmg dealer. should i change class? or is there hope for my monk to kick ass in the future?
hey man just curious
Pwere
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada1557 Posts
May 24 2012 22:35 GMT
#332
I've been testing the life on hit with my +600 life per hit weapon. Here is what I found:

- You do gain life per hit with any spirit generator. Some seem to proc twice, even thrice per hit, mostly when attacking more than one enemy. I don't think I've seen any number above 2400.
- Only some skills actually give you life per hit. I haven't tried every rune, but it looks something like this:
-- Procs once: Dashing Strike,7SS (7SS actually gives you 7 * 90 life)
-- Procs a few times: Wave of Light, Lashing Tail Kick, Tempest (this is pretty inconsistent)
-- No Go: Sweeping Wind, Cyclone Strike, Blinding Flash

Thunderclap seemed to be the one giving 2400 most often, I have no idea why. 100F does not proc 7 times on the 2nd hit. Deadly Reach didn't seem to proc more than once ever. Some skills that have two phases (life Fist of Thunder with the last rune) gave 300 for each half of the hit, same for 7SS that gave 7x90.
RageOverdose
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States690 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-24 23:40:16
May 24 2012 23:40 GMT
#333
On May 25 2012 07:35 Pwere wrote:

Thunderclap seemed to be the one giving 2400 most often, I have no idea why. 100F does not proc 7 times on the 2nd hit. Deadly Reach didn't seem to proc more than once ever. Some skills that have two phases (life Fist of Thunder with the last rune) gave 300 for each half of the hit, same for 7SS that gave 7x90.


Deadly Reach procs on each enemy hit. Sometimes I will hit a large mob and heal up about 2800 health in one strike (usually from the third, as it's bigger).
Silidons
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States2813 Posts
May 24 2012 23:49 GMT
#334
On May 25 2012 03:01 Medrea wrote:
Bosses are not the problem with inferno. Champions and rare packs are (past act 1). Life steal is pointless until you get a huge amount of it since in Inferno its nerfed to 20 or something percent effectiveness. Better to have HP per hit. Or in reality, resistances.

Really? My passive goes off if I get hit 1 time by Azmodan (NDE). He is impossible to kill alone. I would love to see a video of a monk soloing him.
"God fights on the side with the best artillery." - Napoleon Bonaparte
Jisall
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States2054 Posts
May 25 2012 00:06 GMT
#335
On May 25 2012 07:35 Pwere wrote:
I've been testing the life on hit with my +600 life per hit weapon. Here is what I found:

- You do gain life per hit with any spirit generator. Some seem to proc twice, even thrice per hit, mostly when attacking more than one enemy. I don't think I've seen any number above 2400.
- Only some skills actually give you life per hit. I haven't tried every rune, but it looks something like this:
-- Procs once: Dashing Strike,7SS (7SS actually gives you 7 * 90 life)
-- Procs a few times: Wave of Light, Lashing Tail Kick, Tempest (this is pretty inconsistent)
-- No Go: Sweeping Wind, Cyclone Strike, Blinding Flash

Thunderclap seemed to be the one giving 2400 most often, I have no idea why. 100F does not proc 7 times on the 2nd hit. Deadly Reach didn't seem to proc more than once ever. Some skills that have two phases (life Fist of Thunder with the last rune) gave 300 for each half of the hit, same for 7SS that gave 7x90.


Have you tested Way of A Hundred fists second stage attack? Hits like 20 times lol. Would be dope if it worked
Monk: Because being a badass is more fun then playing a dude wearing a scarf.. ... Ite fuck it, Witch Doctor cuz I like killing stuff in a timely mannor.
Pwere
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada1557 Posts
May 25 2012 00:32 GMT
#336
On May 25 2012 09:06 Jisall wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 25 2012 07:35 Pwere wrote:
I've been testing the life on hit with my +600 life per hit weapon. Here is what I found:

- You do gain life per hit with any spirit generator. Some seem to proc twice, even thrice per hit, mostly when attacking more than one enemy. I don't think I've seen any number above 2400.
- Only some skills actually give you life per hit. I haven't tried every rune, but it looks something like this:
-- Procs once: Dashing Strike,7SS (7SS actually gives you 7 * 90 life)
-- Procs a few times: Wave of Light, Lashing Tail Kick, Tempest (this is pretty inconsistent)
-- No Go: Sweeping Wind, Cyclone Strike, Blinding Flash

Thunderclap seemed to be the one giving 2400 most often, I have no idea why. 100F does not proc 7 times on the 2nd hit. Deadly Reach didn't seem to proc more than once ever. Some skills that have two phases (life Fist of Thunder with the last rune) gave 300 for each half of the hit, same for 7SS that gave 7x90.
Have you tested Way of A Hundred fists second stage attack? Hits like 20 times lol. Would be dope if it worked
Yeah I did; all the generators proc once per "stage", doesn't matter if it's 10 hits. It can proc multiple times on multiple targets, but it was really inconsistent. I'll give it another try.
On May 25 2012 08:40 RageOverdose wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 25 2012 07:35 Pwere wrote:

Thunderclap seemed to be the one giving 2400 most often, I have no idea why. 100F does not proc 7 times on the 2nd hit. Deadly Reach didn't seem to proc more than once ever. Some skills that have two phases (life Fist of Thunder with the last rune) gave 300 for each half of the hit, same for 7SS that gave 7x90.


Deadly Reach procs on each enemy hit. Sometimes I will hit a large mob and heal up about 2800 health in one strike (usually from the third, as it's bigger).
That's what I thought at first, but it didn't always work. I'll try this a bit more...
Pwere
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada1557 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-25 00:35:22
May 25 2012 00:32 GMT
#337
Dupe. Might as well write something.

Does anyone know why my dps go from 18k to 28k when I use Blinding Light: Faith in the Light? It's supposed to be 30%, and I thought it did more damage because monsters were weak vs Holy, but that is not the case apparently. It's pretty damn close to 50% more damage.
ExceeD_DreaM
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Canada500 Posts
May 25 2012 01:28 GMT
#338
I'm now in Act 4 Inferno and farming in Silver Spire killing Leah spirit, kulle spirit and maghda spirit.
Dropped Tal Rasha helm so far and 2 +800 dps weapons.Rest were garbage, I'm running with 180 MF too..
Elegance
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada917 Posts
May 25 2012 01:33 GMT
#339
On May 25 2012 10:28 ExceeD_DreaM wrote:
I'm now in Act 4 Inferno and farming in Silver Spire killing Leah spirit, kulle spirit and maghda spirit.
Dropped Tal Rasha helm so far and 2 +800 dps weapons.Rest were garbage, I'm running with 180 MF too..

whats ur build man
Power of Ze
Medrea
Profile Joined May 2011
10003 Posts
May 25 2012 01:35 GMT
#340
Thats a secret. Should get rid of it ebfore Blizzard finds it and hotfixes it though its common knowledge soon.

Build is irrelevant.
twitch.tv/medrea
Prev 1 15 16 17 18 19 141 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #149 (SHIN Mod Edition)
Krystianer vs YoungYakovLIVE!
ByuN vs TBD
CranKy Ducklings161
CranKy Ducklings SOOP21
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 11735
Britney 7292
FanTaSy 2054
Hyuk 880
Horang2 595
BeSt 458
Stork 257
Pusan 254
EffOrt 132
Killer 130
[ Show more ]
Zeus 123
Last 121
Mind 109
sorry 69
Hyun 61
Mini 58
PianO 53
ggaemo 52
Snow 47
ToSsGirL 35
Bale 32
Hm[arnc] 27
JYJ 25
Aegong 17
Sea.KH 14
zelot 13
Sacsri 10
Noble 5
ajuk12(nOOB) 4
Dota 2
XcaliburYe364
Counter-Strike
fl0m1536
byalli804
x6flipin255
Other Games
gofns31602
singsing2842
B2W.Neo503
ArmadaUGS86
Mew2King69
Livibee12
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick717
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream78
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 10
• FirePhoenix4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
INu's Battles
47m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
IntoTheiNu 351
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
3h 47m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
7h 47m
BSL Open Qualifier
7h 47m
Replay Cast
11h 47m
Afreeca Starleague
22h 47m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
23h 47m
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 4h
Replay Cast
1d 11h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 22h
Soma vs Soulkey
[ Show More ]
INu's Battles
1d 23h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.