• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:28
CEST 22:28
KST 05:28
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War325.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
We built a tool to spot smurfs at match start 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Making an Online Broodwar Manager Game BW General Discussion Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8095 users

[H] Help me TeamLiquid :( (A slackers last stand) - Page 9

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 Next All
Phyre
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
United States1288 Posts
November 04 2007 23:02 GMT
#161
I just kind of skimmed the first 3 pages and the last page so forgive me if I repeat something.

Don't worry too much about going to community college at first. The cc near me is generally regarded as a place for morons by most but what I learned otherwise when I found that there are plenty of people that go there, excel, and move on to go to great colleges. There was one case of someone really pulling out all the stops and demolishing the cc classes, straight A's, top of his class, etc and went on to an Ivy League college afterwards. It's possible and if you're truly as smart as you think you are then this certainly seems within your grasp.

As for how to spend your time when not in school, I would recommend you study up. Make sure you get those straight A's for the rest of highschool. If you can do that easily and still have loads of time on your hands, don't make a game. Unless you really want to pursue making games later in life, making a game won't help you at all. Also, if you do want to make games don't pursue an game design related major. They are too narrow and not well respected enough to get you jobs in the games industry most of the time, let alone any other job. Very few people get out of college and go straight to game design also, most get into a games company as something else and eventually move up to designer. Usually through QA. I'm a Comp Sci major myself and I'm glad I stayed with it. If programming games doesn't work out for me there are plenty of other jobs, most of which pay much better, that a Comp Sci can do. If you really want to pursue archeology find people that are in the field and ask them for help and advice. If you can get some work experience (internships, volunteer work, etc) in your field it's absolutely stellar. If it's anything like the comp sci field, it will very very easily put you far beyond your experience-less peers when it comes time for college and even more so when the job search begins. Real world work experience generally trumps grades soundly unless the disparity is absolutely huge.

Just be glad you're realizing this sooner than me. I limped through highschool with a C average then came to college, didn't try, and got owned. First semester gpa was a 1.2 or something. I hovered around a 2.0 gpa until my 2nd year of college at which time I found my motivation. I've increased my GPA drastically every semester and I've been on dean's list (3.2+) for the past 2 semesters and 4.0'ed my senior project. Playing catch up is hard, but be glad you are learning that you must catch up sooner than later. You've still got a chance to really make a difference.

I hope this helps, good luck.
"Oh no, I got you with your pants... on your face... That's not how you wear pants." - Nintu, catching 1 hatch lurks.
Chef
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
10810 Posts
November 04 2007 23:03 GMT
#162
See OP, just like I said. Life in our countries is about second chances (as exemplified by stk01001).

You're not fucked yet
LEGEND!! LEGEND!!
Beyonder
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Netherlands15103 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-11-04 23:09:41
November 04 2007 23:04 GMT
#163
On November 05 2007 07:55 PsycHOTemplar wrote:
Show nested quote +
Though originally invented by Binet to diagnose mentally handicapped children, we can't really say that it starts to lose it's validity and reliability once we pass the teenage years? It's still a very important tool in organizations and used countless of times daily to decide who is the best candidate for the job, or if someone is a proper candidate at all. It's the best prediction possible for more sitations? .54 correlation, opposed to .40 for assessment centers! Not even mentioning other elements of psychology..

As for school achievement, it is important to note the IQ. The correlation between IQ-tests at the age of 12 and 18 is .89. The correlation between a (high) IQ and acedemical achievement is .50 (~25% of the variation in school achievement is decided by IQ). Though not the deciding factor, it plays a big role

Do you know how those statistics were collected? GG. Statistics are meaningless if you don't know how they were obtained. There is a great importance to research in psychology, and your post just ignores that.


Oh excuse me, I'll write a full essay here. Give me an hour.

TEE HEE?

(Also thanks for the heads-up. I hope I can have some of your courses someday!)
Moderator
SChasu
Profile Joined October 2003
United States1505 Posts
November 04 2007 23:07 GMT
#164
ur a JR in highschool? if you get a high score on your sat it will help a LOT. otherwise just go to community college for 2 yrs and do well.
totalbiscuit is awful at casting.
Chef
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
10810 Posts
November 04 2007 23:12 GMT
#165
Well that's a lesson you'll have to learn Beyonder. Don't use statistics unless they're very important to your point and are worthwhile to explain throughly. Cause otherwise, I'm sorry, they are useless. It's a damn shame that an actual argument takes some time to build

Unlike TheosEx and people like PsycHOTemplar, who are telling me how fucked and retarded i am.

OP, I wouldn't be too worried. Figure out where you want to go in life, and then make a plan on how to get there (obviously it's up to you to be realistic, there's no such thing as planning to win the lottery). We live in countries built on second chances; rarely do people get it right the first time.


Yeah, I guess that's what I said. How fucked you are. I thought I was telling you how you can only get screwed if you choose to give up, but you're right. I was just crushing your hopes and stomping your heart.
LEGEND!! LEGEND!!
Beyonder
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Netherlands15103 Posts
November 04 2007 23:18 GMT
#166
Thanks man. I thought I'd better not waste my time writing a full essay considering it will both derail the thread and completely waste my time. Good thing I restrained myself; I got the tip of a lifetime and saved precious hours.

I'll be sure to report this tip back to my education. Just wait till the professors get a hold of this.
Moderator
DeadVessel
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
United States6269 Posts
November 04 2007 23:19 GMT
#167
On November 05 2007 08:18 Beyonder wrote:
Thanks man. I thought I'd better not waste my time writing a full essay considering it will both derail the thread and completely waste my time. Good thing I restrained myself; I got the tip of a lifetime and saved precious hours.

I'll be sure to report this tip back to my education. Just wait till the professors get a hold of this.

lulz

(ignore meaningless 1 liner)
Chef
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
10810 Posts
November 04 2007 23:20 GMT
#168
You don't want to listen to people with practical advice, that's your problem. Anyone with a brain who read your statistic knows how sketchy sounding it was (and so therefore there was no reason to post it, cause only idiots are going to buy it).
LEGEND!! LEGEND!!
JeeJee
Profile Blog Joined July 2003
Canada5652 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-11-04 23:27:20
November 04 2007 23:21 GMT
#169
unrelated
(\o/)  If you want it, you find a way. Otherwise you find excuses. No exceptions.
 /_\   aka Shinbi (requesting a name change since 27/05/09 ☺)
Phyre
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
United States1288 Posts
November 04 2007 23:24 GMT
#170
On November 05 2007 08:07 SS-guy wrote:
ur a JR in highschool? if you get a high score on your sat it will help a LOT. otherwise just go to community college for 2 yrs and do well.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention SAT. Again, if the OP is half as smart as he says he is getting a great SAT score shouldn't be hard and will greatly help your chances.
"Oh no, I got you with your pants... on your face... That's not how you wear pants." - Nintu, catching 1 hatch lurks.
Beyonder
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Netherlands15103 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-11-04 23:50:08
November 04 2007 23:35 GMT
#171
On November 05 2007 08:20 PsycHOTemplar wrote:
You don't want to listen to people with practical advice, that's your problem. Anyone with a brain who read your statistic knows how sketchy sounding it was (and so therefore there was no reason to post it, cause only idiots are going to buy it).


Of course it sounds sketchy and partly is. That's psychology and that's correlation. The point however still stands and it's some of the best information/statistics available regarding IQ-tests and it's validity and usage. If the posted statistics were far off then the tests wouldn't be used so much, not in school, not in organizations, and not everywhere else. There is no reason not to post it, except maybe for people like you. Stop trying to sound smart because you had some courses, please.

Last post in this thread by me. Enough derailing.

+ Show Spoiler +
You do realize that I get this crap taught at the best University for Psychology in the country, by one of the top professors, right?

As for the research mentioned, before you starting whining again. It says more here. (Strangely enough, the mentioned professor taught us about IQ)
Moderator
KOFgokuon
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States14912 Posts
November 04 2007 23:36 GMT
#172
Sorry, accounting is easy. You can't argue that point against any science or engineering student
HnR)hT
Profile Joined October 2002
United States3468 Posts
November 04 2007 23:40 GMT
#173
On November 05 2007 08:20 PsycHOTemplar wrote:
You don't want to listen to people with practical advice, that's your problem. Anyone with a brain who read your statistic knows how sketchy sounding it was (and so therefore there was no reason to post it, cause only idiots are going to buy it).

Beyonder's post about IQ tests was correct, yours wasn't. You don't have to be a professional psychometrician to know that IQ tests are widely used for adults, e.g. by armed forces, to diagnose mental illnesses, to assess applicants to selective institutions of higher education, etc. If the correlation between IQ tests at ages 12 and 18 is .89, then these tests are equally meaningful at either age. So either you're accusing him of flat out lying (he's not) or you don't know what correlation is (in which case you shouldn't be arguing about this subject).
TheosEx
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States894 Posts
November 04 2007 23:56 GMT
#174
I never said it's completely useless past a certain age, and I doubt PsychoTemplar said that either.

The mind goes through so many developmental stages and sections from many different models. The IQ test can't possibly test them all.
Chef
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
10810 Posts
November 05 2007 00:01 GMT
#175
Stop trying to sound smart because you had some courses, please.

I'm not, and I don't know what gave you that impression. My courses in psychology have nothing to do with my ability to be skeptical and critical of information I'm given. Let's analyse the information you DIDN'T give us and see how dependable your information sounds. That's right, just like in poker, the things you don't see are often just as important as the things you do see.



Though originally invented by Binet to diagnose mentally handicapped children, we can't really say that it starts to lose it's validity and reliability once we pass the teenage years? It's still a very important tool in organizations and used countless of times daily to decide who is the best candidate for the job, or if someone is a proper candidate at all. It's the best prediction possible for more sitations? .54 correlation, opposed to .40 for assessment centers! Not even mentioning other elements of psychology..

Where was this study performed? How big was the sample? Was the sample randomly selected? Who funded the study? Who performed the study? What year was the study conducted? Why should I believe you when you say it's used countless times daily to determine the best person for the job (most people I know have never even taken a formal IQ test)?

If you can see my point, your statistic doesn't give any information anyone could possibly make an informed decision based on. I might as well say 100% of people think I'm right and you're wrong. Sure I only surveyed myself, and I'm incredibly biased, but look at that BIG, SHINY NUMBER! OMG SO PRETTY, AND ROUND! How convincing.
LEGEND!! LEGEND!!
KOFgokuon
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States14912 Posts
November 05 2007 00:11 GMT
#176
So if you wanted a source, why didn't you just say that up frnot
Chef
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
10810 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-11-05 00:16:26
November 05 2007 00:13 GMT
#177
Cause I don't want to see a link to wikipedia (And I assumed it was from memory, because how hard is it to post a link to your source?)
LEGEND!! LEGEND!!
fanatacist
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
10319 Posts
November 05 2007 00:22 GMT
#178
The amount of on-topic posts is slowly dwindling as egos are exponentially inflating. In before close.
Peace~
MoNKeYSpanKeR
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States2869 Posts
November 05 2007 02:49 GMT
#179
On November 05 2007 08:12 PsycHOTemplar wrote:
Well that's a lesson you'll have to learn Beyonder. Don't use statistics unless they're very important to your point and are worthwhile to explain throughly. Cause otherwise, I'm sorry, they are useless. It's a damn shame that an actual argument takes some time to build

Show nested quote +
Unlike TheosEx and people like PsycHOTemplar, who are telling me how fucked and retarded i am.

Show nested quote +
OP, I wouldn't be too worried. Figure out where you want to go in life, and then make a plan on how to get there (obviously it's up to you to be realistic, there's no such thing as planning to win the lottery). We live in countries built on second chances; rarely do people get it right the first time.


Yeah, I guess that's what I said. How fucked you are. I thought I was telling you how you can only get screwed if you choose to give up, but you're right. I was just crushing your hopes and stomping your heart.


I might of just confused you with someone else, if so sorry O_O
<3's Mani and Seraphim, thx for the second chance. TSL Name: TSL-mSLeGenD
MoNKeYSpanKeR
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States2869 Posts
November 05 2007 02:55 GMT
#180
Well, this this is going completely off topic as of the last few pages, and all good and great advice has already been given, and it's all just getting repeated, i just wanna thank eveyrone for there amazing contributions to there thread, and giving me more hope.
Thanks Beyonder, fanaticist, Bill, lilsusie (Who said a lot over PM's and offered some other forms of help if i should need it) And anyone else who contributed, i will probalby reread this sometime soon, so thanks everyone for everything they cotnributed and the time and effort they put into each one of there posts.

If a mod wants he can close this now, since it's only going to lead to more flaming and offtopic debates, feel free to resume your arguements over PM's or something if you find it useful, i would rather the thread die with dignity before it goes too off topic and leads to me reading through way too much crap. Mods choice though.
<3's Mani and Seraphim, thx for the second chance. TSL Name: TSL-mSLeGenD
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 32m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 537
ProTech168
UpATreeSC 100
ZombieGrub67
Nina 3
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 14827
910 70
soO 39
Dota 2
Gorgc6846
monkeys_forever102
canceldota72
League of Legends
Doublelift7
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4232
Other Games
summit1g2496
fl0m1580
FrodaN780
olofmeister771
Liquid`Hasu340
C9.Mang0193
Livibee190
IndyStarCraft 156
Organizations
StarCraft 2
angryscii 13
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 17
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 39
• FirePhoenix14
• Michael_bg 3
• niya90s 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota2864
• WagamamaTV365
Other Games
• imaqtpie992
• Shiphtur665
• Scarra621
• tFFMrPink 14
Upcoming Events
OSC
2h 32m
Big Brain Bouts
13h 32m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
20h 32m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
22h 32m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 13h
Patches Events
1d 18h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 22h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 22h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.