• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:20
CEST 22:20
KST 05:20
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8067 users

US Politics Mega-thread - Page 69

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 67 68 69 70 71 10093 Next
Read the rules in the OP before posting, please.

In order to ensure that this thread continues to meet TL standards and follows the proper guidelines, we will be enforcing the rules in the OP more strictly. Be sure to give them a re-read to refresh your memory! The vast majority of you are contributing in a healthy way, keep it up!

NOTE: When providing a source, explain why you feel it is relevant and what purpose it adds to the discussion if it's not obvious.
Also take note that unsubstantiated tweets/posts meant only to rekindle old arguments can result in a mod action.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
January 07 2013 04:59 GMT
#1361
That's what lawyers are for. Figure it out.
shikata ga nai
smokeyhoodoo
Profile Joined January 2010
United States1021 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-07 05:12:03
January 07 2013 05:06 GMT
#1362
So would you rather see a natural resource go undeveloped, rather than someone getting rich developing the land and building the infrastructure necessary to extract the resource, simply because its "unfair"? I don't see whats fair in rampant poverty.

This should make an interesting read for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homestead_principle

Nothing wrong with reading Marx but I would beg you to read other authors before settling your mind.
There is no cow level
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-07 05:13:57
January 07 2013 05:12 GMT
#1363
I think those things belong to humanity and should be owned by humanity, and managed under a programme of responsible stewardship.

your bit about rampant poverty is an irrelevant platitude and has nothing to do with it

edit: no, I reject the homestead principle. What is not owned? We bought America with a genocide/aggressive war of conquest in the first place. What was there to homestead?
shikata ga nai
smokeyhoodoo
Profile Joined January 2010
United States1021 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-07 05:23:52
January 07 2013 05:15 GMT
#1364
On January 07 2013 14:12 sam!zdat wrote:
I think those things belong to humanity and should be owned by humanity, and managed under a programme of responsible stewardship.

your bit about rampant poverty is an irrelevant platitude and has nothing to do with it

edit: no, I reject the homestead principle. What is not owned? We bought America with a genocide/aggressive war of conquest in the first place. What was there to homestead?


An irrelevant platitude? Its actually just a plea for you to consider the possible consequences of the policies you advocate.

Also, if no one owns the land, I doubt anyone will give a shit about it, calling in to question the likelihood of this "responsible stewardship" you speak of. Tax dollars are managed by people that approach them as belonging to everyone. They are not handling their own money. It is evident how poorly and carelessly our tax money is distributed, often to programs with zero empirical evidence of accomplishing what they were created to do. People are much more careful and responsible with their own money. I propose to you the same would be true with land and natural resources.
There is no cow level
oneofthem
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Cayman Islands24199 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-07 05:18:45
January 07 2013 05:18 GMT
#1365
there is a lot of ground to cover between marx and some sort of randian paradise.
We have fed the heart on fantasies, the heart's grown brutal from the fare, more substance in our enmities than in our love
smokeyhoodoo
Profile Joined January 2010
United States1021 Posts
January 07 2013 05:27 GMT
#1366
On January 07 2013 14:18 oneofthem wrote:
there is a lot of ground to cover between marx and some sort of randian paradise.


Do you just relegate those who use bigger words than you as being on one extreme or the other?
There is no cow level
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-07 05:28:45
January 07 2013 05:27 GMT
#1367
I think he knows plenty of big words

edit: to your above point, yes, our government is not run very well. Mass Media Democracy is a terrible political system.
shikata ga nai
smokeyhoodoo
Profile Joined January 2010
United States1021 Posts
January 07 2013 05:31 GMT
#1368
On January 07 2013 14:27 sam!zdat wrote:
I think he knows plenty of big words

edit: to your above point, yes, our government is not run very well. Mass Media Democracy is a terrible political system.


Perhaps he does, I just really don't like having assumptions being made about me.
There is no cow level
BluePanther
Profile Joined March 2011
United States2776 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-07 05:47:37
January 07 2013 05:44 GMT
#1369
On January 07 2013 13:59 sam!zdat wrote:
That's what lawyers are for. Figure it out.


Well, that's why I proposed those questions to you. I'm trying to figure it out. Because the devil is ALWAYS in the details. The problem with most communal systems is that they just end up being power struggles through political ends instead of economic ends. Who controls political power controls the goods, rather than who controls the economic power. It leads to corruption and abuse in government. At least economic power keeps it to simply income inequality. Have you noticed how the bigger government gets, teh more corporate involvement there is? You can't get corporations out of government until you get government out of resource management. It's a catch-22.

On January 07 2013 14:27 sam!zdat wrote:
Mass Media Democracy is a terrible political system.


And communal property has been shown to be far worse. Just look at EVERY EXAMPLE IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD.

sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-07 05:55:38
January 07 2013 05:54 GMT
#1370
No, I think democracy is worse, just more insidious. When you are talking about Russia and China those are very different situations, and if you want to know why those things were disasters Marxist theory would be a good place to start. I don't think it's at all intellectually honest to point to those things and say "There Is No Alternative"

(edit: also, you have to consider the role of the U.S. actively trying to undermine communist countries in the cold war. When the world's Great Power has declared ideological warfare on you, that makes things a lot harder.)

Yes, it's a hard problem. But ignoring the problem doesn't help. I just see people ignoring the problem and pretending everything's fine, when it clearly isn't.

When you should stop listening to me is when I tell you I have an easy solution, not when I tell you it's a big problem and I don't know what to do.
shikata ga nai
oneofthem
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Cayman Islands24199 Posts
January 07 2013 06:00 GMT
#1371
On January 07 2013 14:31 smokeyhoodoo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 07 2013 14:27 sam!zdat wrote:
I think he knows plenty of big words

edit: to your above point, yes, our government is not run very well. Mass Media Democracy is a terrible political system.


Perhaps he does, I just really don't like having assumptions being made about me.

the assumption was made about your post, which implied that a contemporary marxist would like to see orthodox communism (i.e. absolute worker ownership), rather than any number of intermediate or off the scale solutions.

one can make reasonable critiques of the current state of affairs from a marxist point of view, without advocating the exact same stuff marx did 150 years ago without the help of hindsight.
We have fed the heart on fantasies, the heart's grown brutal from the fare, more substance in our enmities than in our love
BluePanther
Profile Joined March 2011
United States2776 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-07 06:04:36
January 07 2013 06:01 GMT
#1372
On January 07 2013 14:54 sam!zdat wrote:
No, I think democracy is worse, just more insidious. When you are talking about Russia and China those are very different situations, and if you want to know why those things were disasters Marxist theory would be a good place to start. I don't think it's at all intellectually honest to point to those things and say "There Is No Alternative"

(edit: also, you have to consider the role of the U.S. actively trying to undermine communist countries in the cold war. When the world's Great Power has declared ideological warfare on you, that makes things a lot harder.)

Yes, it's a hard problem. But ignoring the problem doesn't help. I just see people ignoring the problem and pretending everything's fine, when it clearly isn't.

When you should stop listening to me is when I tell you I have an easy solution, not when I tell you it's a big problem and I don't know what to do.


First off, I never mentioned Russia (I presume you mean Soviets) or China. I also never threw out those Thatcher words. I completely think there are alternatives--just not communal property in the sense that you are describing it.

The United States had little to do with Communist nations failing. Almost all of that was internal poor resource management.

I don't think it's "ignored," just read a journal on government. There are lots of individuals proposing various ideas.

I stopped listening to you when you cried "THIS IS THE WORST SYSTEM EVER", yet can't articulate a single system that is better in any aspect other than "fairness", regardless of the fact that every attempted adaptation of your preferred ideology attack path has proven to end in rampant poverty and corruption. It's not that Marx is a moron, it's just that despite 150+ years of it being around, nobody has proposed a way to implement those theories into government in a way that doesn't lead to collapse of a society. When you subscribe to those theories, the burden is on you to prove you have a legitimate point.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-07 06:10:48
January 07 2013 06:09 GMT
#1373
I don't know when I've advocated "communal property." I've advocated nationalization of certain resources. That's not the same thing by a long shot.

I think the biggest problem we face today is curbing the ability of capital to flow across national boundaries. Nation-states cannot continue to be held hostage to the interests of international finance class in the way they currently are.

On January 07 2013 15:01 BluePanther wrote:
The United States had little to do with Communist nations failing. Almost all of that was internal poor resource management.


Sure, well they were also trying to keep up military production to fight the cold war. But yeah I don't care to argue this point. I don't think you can do communism without information technology, so I wouldn't expect that to work.


I stopped listening to you when you cried "THIS IS THE WORST SYSTEM EVER",


This is just a slanderous mischaracterization of my views. I hold no such belief and have not claimed such. I just think it's time for another turn of the dialectic. Liberalism has accomplished many great things. It is now disastrously out of date.


yet can't articulate a single system that is better in any aspect other than "fairness", regardless of the fact that every attempted adaptation of that theory has proven to end in rampant poverty and corruption.


sigh. What theory? You insist on characterizing Marxism as a prescriptive political theory, despite having claimed to have read Marx, which would suggest that you would realize that this is not the case. I'm not a Leninist.

Again:

I'm allowed to critique something without providing a positive thesis. I don't know the answer. I wish I did. Our system is headed for catastrophe, however, if things keep on the way they are.
shikata ga nai
oneofthem
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Cayman Islands24199 Posts
January 07 2013 06:13 GMT
#1374
dem evil corporations are the first ones to learn the value of treating your workers right. but only the right kind of workers.
We have fed the heart on fantasies, the heart's grown brutal from the fare, more substance in our enmities than in our love
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-07 06:19:36
January 07 2013 06:15 GMT
#1375
On January 07 2013 15:01 BluePanther wrote:
it's just that despite 150+ years of it being around, nobody has proposed a way to implement those theories into government in a way that doesn't lead to collapse of a society.


No country with the industrialized base called for as the precondition of communism in Marx's theory has ever tried it.

edit: you do realize that Marx was quite impressed with capitalism, right?

edit: Look, I believe in entrepreneurship and stuff. I don't believe in a command economy at all. What a ludicrous idea.
shikata ga nai
smokeyhoodoo
Profile Joined January 2010
United States1021 Posts
January 07 2013 06:19 GMT
#1376
On January 07 2013 15:00 oneofthem wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 07 2013 14:31 smokeyhoodoo wrote:
On January 07 2013 14:27 sam!zdat wrote:
I think he knows plenty of big words

edit: to your above point, yes, our government is not run very well. Mass Media Democracy is a terrible political system.


Perhaps he does, I just really don't like having assumptions being made about me.

the assumption was made about your post, which implied that a contemporary marxist would like to see orthodox communism (i.e. absolute worker ownership), rather than any number of intermediate or off the scale solutions.

one can make reasonable critiques of the current state of affairs from a marxist point of view, without advocating the exact same stuff marx did 150 years ago without the help of hindsight.


I implied no such thing. I was strictly addressing his desire for natural resources not to be privately owned. You keep making assumptions and making asses of us all. Your initial response to me was an unprovoked, passive aggressive, and thinly veiled ad hominem attack on both me, and an author you seem to want to keep people from reading by expressing how loony she is. I don't see why one can't make reasonable critiques of current affairs from a Randian point of view either, or countless other authors and thinkers. You're like a book burner, or have the same mentality of one.
There is no cow level
BluePanther
Profile Joined March 2011
United States2776 Posts
January 07 2013 06:30 GMT
#1377
On January 07 2013 15:09 sam!zdat wrote:
I don't know when I've advocated "communal property." I've advocated nationalization of certain resources. That's not the same thing by a long shot.
it's not? anything that's not private is communal. If it's nationalized, that's communal.

I think the biggest problem we face today is curbing the ability of capital to flow across national boundaries. Nation-states cannot continue to be held hostage to the interests of international finance class in the way they currently are.


I think you're just using buzzwords here. wtf is the "international finance class"? you mean the IMF?


Sure, well they were also trying to keep up military production to fight the cold war. But yeah I don't care to argue this point. I don't think you can do communism without information technology, so I wouldn't expect that to work.

I thought you weren't a communist?

Show nested quote +

I stopped listening to you when you cried "THIS IS THE WORST SYSTEM EVER",


This is just a slanderous mischaracterization of my views. I hold no such belief and have not claimed such. I just think it's time for another turn of the dialectic. Liberalism has accomplished many great things. It is now disastrously out of date.


That's fine, but you haven't explained how you think it should be done, or what benefit society would gain from such a switch. I like change as well, but I'm not going to advocate changing based on some internet posters "feelings" that it might be better. You have yet to articulate a SINGLE advantage to a SINGLE suggested change.


sigh. What theory? You insist on characterizing Marxism as a prescriptive political theory, despite having claimed to have read Marx, which would suggest that you would realize that this is not the case. I'm not a Leninist.

I'm allowed to critique something without providing a positive thesis. I don't know the answer. I wish I did. Our system is headed for catastrophe, however, if things keep on the way they are.


You called yourself a marxist. I said marx was wrong in his ideas. You disagreed and I challenged you to show how that line of thinking leads to a political philosophy that works. You have not done this, you merely are quibbling over what "Marxism" is. I'm familiar with his line of thinking. I honestly don't think you are. Prove me wrong, with substance.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
January 07 2013 06:33 GMT
#1378
I'm tired of talking to you. You can win if you want.
shikata ga nai
BluePanther
Profile Joined March 2011
United States2776 Posts
January 07 2013 06:38 GMT
#1379
On January 07 2013 15:33 sam!zdat wrote:
I'm tired of talking to you. You can win if you want.


I'm not trying to "win". I want you to justify your point of view. You are mistaking my criticism of you as personal. One cannot change their viewpoint unless they engage in contentious debate. Me or you. I'm not going to see the "folly of my way" unless you can articulate what's wrong with it. Nor am I going to convince you that you are missing something unless I force you to critically examine your views. This is how society progresses... with discussion.
Souma
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
2nd Worst City in CA8938 Posts
January 07 2013 06:41 GMT
#1380
I feel like BluePanther is misunderstanding sam quite a bit/just not reading his posts closely enough. It was an interesting discussion at first but now it's just going in circles.
Writer
Prev 1 67 68 69 70 71 10093 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 13h 40m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 112
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15137
Calm 2166
Mini 159
Rush 119
EffOrt 101
Trap 20
Bale 15
scan(afreeca) 15
Dota 2
febbydoto17
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
fl0m3868
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King51
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4087
Liquid`Hasu654
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi1889
Beastyqt795
B2W.Neo587
RotterdaM518
shahzam373
C9.Mang0252
IndyStarCraft 178
crisheroes174
ToD128
Trikslyr99
Dewaltoss62
UpATreeSC53
ZombieGrub35
JuggernautJason25
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream30
Other Games
Algost 4
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 28
• Michael_bg 10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• TFBlade1021
Other Games
• imaqtpie1002
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
13h 40m
INu's Battles
14h 40m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
16h 40m
OSC
1d 1h
Replay Cast
1d 2h
OSC
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.