• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:20
CEST 22:20
KST 05:20
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8018 users

US Politics Mega-thread - Page 68

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 66 67 68 69 70 10093 Next
Read the rules in the OP before posting, please.

In order to ensure that this thread continues to meet TL standards and follows the proper guidelines, we will be enforcing the rules in the OP more strictly. Be sure to give them a re-read to refresh your memory! The vast majority of you are contributing in a healthy way, keep it up!

NOTE: When providing a source, explain why you feel it is relevant and what purpose it adds to the discussion if it's not obvious.
Also take note that unsubstantiated tweets/posts meant only to rekindle old arguments can result in a mod action.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-07 02:56:08
January 07 2013 02:49 GMT
#1341
I feel like you're the one picking fights on definitions.

I don't have an "ideal government", that's what I'm trying to say, that's not what Marxism is. Marxism is mostly a critique of the non-ideal system that is the various stages of capitalism, not a prescriptive political philosophy, although one should of course attempt to use that critique in order to start thinking along those lines. I'm not nearly old enough or well-read enough yet to tell you "What Should Be Done," I just know that when I look around at the world it's fucking insane and the inmates are running the asylum, and when I read Marxist authors it starts to make a whole lot more sense why that is.

I don't believe in intellectual property or the private ownership of natural resources, no. I'm very conflicted over the question of real estate.

I wholeheartedly agree, along with basically every contemporary Marxist, that his ultimate conclusions are more or less obsolete. I don't even think I would put the "more or less."

edit:
yes, exactly, thanks

On January 07 2013 11:45 oneofthem wrote:
reading bluepanther's posts, your statements on communism are pretty colloquial. were marx alive today, he'd probably have revised his economics by quite a bit, but his normative social philosophy not so much. it's important to distinguish thsee things.


edit:
Marx's economics were trying to describe the primitive industrial capitalism of his time. He didn't have a fucking clue about late capitalism, how could he have?
shikata ga nai
BluePanther
Profile Joined March 2011
United States2776 Posts
January 07 2013 02:50 GMT
#1342
On January 07 2013 11:45 oneofthem wrote:
idk what a bs in socioeconomics entails, but socioeconomics encompasses a variety of fields, and of these, only in economics is marxism truly dead. although due in no part to economists' thin normative grounding.


socioeconomics is the branch that combines economics with social structures. It's mainly a combination of philosophy, economics, law, and sociology. I'm not sure there are undergraduate degrees in it, as it's pretty heady and mostly relegated to graduate schools.
oneofthem
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Cayman Islands24199 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-07 03:03:41
January 07 2013 02:55 GMT
#1343
well yea i know what socioeconomics is, i just don't know what you learned in your socioeconomics program.

it is rather hard to talk to you about what "marx was wrong" means when you don't distinguish between the variety of ideas he has had, or the various additions and modifications made by people after him.

i would agree that the actual political program advanced by marx as well as his economic theory are dead. but marxists today all agree with that. you should read up on the september group.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analytical_Marxism
We have fed the heart on fantasies, the heart's grown brutal from the fare, more substance in our enmities than in our love
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
January 07 2013 02:57 GMT
#1344
Also, your original post sparking this was basically "Marx was wrong. Get over it." So please don't hold yourself up as the paragon of reasonable discourse. Good night gentlemen
shikata ga nai
BluePanther
Profile Joined March 2011
United States2776 Posts
January 07 2013 03:00 GMT
#1345
On January 07 2013 11:49 sam!zdat wrote:
I feel like you're the one picking fights on definitions.

I don't have an "ideal government", that's what I'm trying to say, that's not what Marxism is. Marxism is mostly a critique of the non-ideal system that is the various stages of capitalism, not a prescriptive political philosophy, although one should of course attempt to use that critique in order to start thinking along those lines. I'm not nearly old enough or well-read enough yet to tell you "What Should Be Done," I just know that when I look around at the world it's fucking insane and the inmates are running the asylum, and when I read Marxist authors it starts to make a whole lot more sense why that is.

I don't believe in intellectual property or the private ownership of natural resources, no. I'm very conflicted over the question of real estate.

I wholeheartedly agree, along with basically every contemporary Marxist, that his ultimate conclusions are more or less obsolete. I don't even think I would put the "more or less."



You strive to want better, yet offer no solution. You're a rebel without a cause. Marx is an author that functions on "he has more than me, therefore the system protecting him must be wrong" for eliciting support. If you're going to sympathize with that, you need to justify why the capitalist system is wrong and how it could be improved.


PS, what makes something a "natural" resource?
BluePanther
Profile Joined March 2011
United States2776 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-07 03:07:29
January 07 2013 03:04 GMT
#1346
On January 07 2013 11:55 oneofthem wrote:
well yea i know what socioeconomics is, i just don't know what you learned in your socioeconomics program.


I didn't technically get a degree in it, but philosophy, law, economics, sociology were a good representation of what I took. Beyond that, I took classes on labor theory and the like, along with case study classes on topics like the IMF/WTO/IB. Let's put it this way: I remember reading much of Marx's work as reading for various classes. My undergraduate specialty was international development, and my doctorate focused on comparative constitutional law and domestic legal policy.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
January 07 2013 03:11 GMT
#1347
first of all, I'm a one percenter, so how could I be angry that people have more than me?

and that's a caricature of marx anyway, which is all you've offered.

not yet having a solution is no excuse for ignoring the problem. I have to understand the problem before I can offer a solution, and it's a very complicated problem.

I just want people to wake up to the world around them and start using their imaginations. Break the deadlock of thatcher tina doctrine. So sick of everybody with their heads in the fucking sand telling me 'shut up kid.'

if for no other reason, apitalism produces a culture that's as banal of all get out and I'm embarrassed to live in this plastic muzak society. Nail that up on the chapel door
shikata ga nai
TotalBalanceSC2
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada475 Posts
January 07 2013 03:13 GMT
#1348
On January 07 2013 12:11 sam!zdat wrote:
first of all, I'm a one percenter, so how could I be angry that people have more than me?

and that's a caricature of marx anyway, which is all you've offered.

not yet having a solution is no excuse for ignoring the problem. I have to understand the problem before I can offer a solution, and it's a very complicated problem.

I just want people to wake up to the world around them and start using their imaginations. Break the deadlock of thatcher tina doctrine. So sick of everybody with their heads in the fucking sand telling me 'shut up kid.'

if for no other reason, apitalism produces a culture that's as banal of all get out and I'm embarrassed to live in this plastic muzak society. Nail that up on the chapel door


Because the higher up the ladder you are the further you realize you have to go?
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
January 07 2013 03:16 GMT
#1349
no, you realize it's all an illusion and that rich people are a bunch of banal philistines. You grow up with their children and think about those fuckers growing up to rule the world and despair. And their parents are just as bad.
shikata ga nai
oneofthem
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Cayman Islands24199 Posts
January 07 2013 03:17 GMT
#1350
On January 07 2013 12:04 BluePanther wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 07 2013 11:55 oneofthem wrote:
well yea i know what socioeconomics is, i just don't know what you learned in your socioeconomics program.


I didn't technically get a degree in it, but philosophy, law, economics, sociology were a good representation of what I took. Beyond that, I took classes on labor theory and the like, along with case study classes on topics like the IMF/WTO/IB. Let's put it this way: I remember reading much of Marx's work as reading for various classes. My undergraduate specialty was international development, and my doctorate focused on comparative constitutional law and domestic legal policy.

well, if you see marx as just one stop in a long line of social thinkers interested in the same social problems, it'd be easier to understand the other side.

the precise knot here requires a bit more effort to resolve, effort i dun wanna expend.
We have fed the heart on fantasies, the heart's grown brutal from the fare, more substance in our enmities than in our love
BluePanther
Profile Joined March 2011
United States2776 Posts
January 07 2013 03:18 GMT
#1351
On January 07 2013 12:11 sam!zdat wrote:
first of all, I'm a one percenter, so how could I be angry that people have more than me?

and that's a caricature of marx anyway, which is all you've offered.

not yet having a solution is no excuse for ignoring the problem. I have to understand the problem before I can offer a solution, and it's a very complicated problem.

I just want people to wake up to the world around them and start using their imaginations. Break the deadlock of thatcher tina doctrine. So sick of everybody with their heads in the fucking sand telling me 'shut up kid.'

if for no other reason, apitalism produces a culture that's as banal of all get out and I'm embarrassed to live in this plastic muzak society. Nail that up on the chapel door



You have Sheeple Complex.

User was warned for this post
NoobSkills
Profile Joined August 2009
United States1603 Posts
January 07 2013 03:22 GMT
#1352
On January 07 2013 12:16 sam!zdat wrote:
no, you realize it's all an illusion and that rich people are a bunch of banal philistines. You grow up with their children and think about those fuckers growing up to rule the world and despair. And their parents are just as bad.


You say the system is fucked. Yet, our system and to an extent most free market systems the individual has a chance at success. A very good one at that. In other systems the individual has little to no chance of actually rising up the chain. It is either one's birth right to own X or you must be the very top percent of what you do. In the US you can be a shitty business person and still produce a product that will give you a small, but comfortable return. In other markets you're told you make shirts now, and wait we're paying you 2 dollars a week. And you can't change your future, you will always be a shirt maker because there aren't opportunities to educate yourself in another field or simply try another field or work to see if you're better at it.
TotalBalanceSC2
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada475 Posts
January 07 2013 03:24 GMT
#1353
On January 07 2013 12:16 sam!zdat wrote:
no, you realize it's all an illusion and that rich people are a bunch of banal philistines. You grow up with their children and think about those fuckers growing up to rule the world and despair. And their parents are just as bad.


Well that is a bit judgmental to label the whole group like that. While true that a lot of rich kids grow up to be fairly stuck up and disconnected from reality there are also a lot who are quite dignified and give charitably and genuinely want to help the world, not everyone can be a crazy sociopath you know.
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
January 07 2013 03:32 GMT
#1354
Last week, two-term Representative Steven Palazzo (R-MS) sparked controversy nationwide when he voted against relief for victims of Hurricane Sandy, despite representing coastal Mississippi, one of the regions hardest hit by Hurricane Katrina and a top beneficiary of Katrina disaster aid.

But in addition to representing the region today, Palazzo was deeply involved in pressing for federal dollars at the time. In the fall of 2005, then a local government official, Palazzo repeatedly appealed for federal funding to help rebuild his battered coastal Mississippi community in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

Palazzo’s future congressional district, including his hometown of Biloxi, Miss., was ravaged by the 2005 storm. Roughly a month after Katrina made landfall, Palazzo — then Deputy Director and CFO of the Biloxi Housing Authority — did not mince words when he spoke about what was necessary in order to repair the damages.


Source
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-07 03:59:49
January 07 2013 03:42 GMT
#1355
as far as the current moment goes, I'd be happy if we could get some separation of powers between corporations and the people who are supposed to be regulating them. That can be my revolutionary demand for the moment.

until then, turn on, tune in, drop out

edit: I'm well aware that I'm a crazy person. Was that not already obvious?
shikata ga nai
Sermokala
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States14211 Posts
January 07 2013 04:08 GMT
#1356
On January 07 2013 12:42 sam!zdat wrote:
as far as the current moment goes, I'd be happy if we could get some separation of powers between corporations and the people who are supposed to be regulating them. That can be my revolutionary demand for the moment.

until then, turn on, tune in, drop out

edit: I'm well aware that I'm a crazy person. Was that not already obvious?


Naw I think we need to go the other way and remove these barriers to corporate governance. They've already figured out how to perverse and manipulate modern governments though lobbying we might as well go the full distance and make them responsible for everything else we need governments for.

Would put the power of deciding who gets power directly along the merits of efficiency and competence instead of populism and politics.
A wise man will say that he knows nothing. We're gona party like its 2752 Hail Dark Brandon
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-07 04:36:59
January 07 2013 04:14 GMT
#1357
In my darker moments, I think exactly that, actually.

On January 07 2013 12:00 BluePanther wrote:
PS, what makes something a "natural" resource?


forests, fossil fuels and other minerals and extractable resources, fisheries, water

those seem like the main ones
shikata ga nai
bkrow
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Australia8532 Posts
January 07 2013 04:49 GMT
#1358
On January 07 2013 12:32 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:
Show nested quote +
Last week, two-term Representative Steven Palazzo (R-MS) sparked controversy nationwide when he voted against relief for victims of Hurricane Sandy, despite representing coastal Mississippi, one of the regions hardest hit by Hurricane Katrina and a top beneficiary of Katrina disaster aid.

But in addition to representing the region today, Palazzo was deeply involved in pressing for federal dollars at the time. In the fall of 2005, then a local government official, Palazzo repeatedly appealed for federal funding to help rebuild his battered coastal Mississippi community in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

Palazzo’s future congressional district, including his hometown of Biloxi, Miss., was ravaged by the 2005 storm. Roughly a month after Katrina made landfall, Palazzo — then Deputy Director and CFO of the Biloxi Housing Authority — did not mince words when he spoke about what was necessary in order to repair the damages.


Source

The only logical reasoning I can think of is that things were vastly different economically in 2005. Other than that I am at a loss
In The Rear With The Gear .. *giggle* /////////// cobra-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA!!!!
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
January 07 2013 04:53 GMT
#1359
On January 07 2013 12:22 NoobSkills wrote:
\In other markets you're told you make shirts now, and wait we're paying you 2 dollars a week. And you can't change your future, you will always be a shirt maker because there aren't opportunities to educate yourself in another field or simply try another field or work to see if you're better at it.


Where do they sell those shirts?
shikata ga nai
BluePanther
Profile Joined March 2011
United States2776 Posts
January 07 2013 04:57 GMT
#1360
On January 07 2013 13:14 sam!zdat wrote:
In my darker moments, I think exactly that, actually.

Show nested quote +
On January 07 2013 12:00 BluePanther wrote:
PS, what makes something a "natural" resource?


forests, fossil fuels and other minerals and extractable resources, fisheries, water

those seem like the main ones


Yeah, but you have to define those. Which is not practical. How many trees constitutes "a forest"? Is rainwater "water"? etc. etc. Who gets to extract them? How much? How are they distributed? How does someone complain if it's done unfairly? What if you grow the trees on non-forest land?
Prev 1 66 67 68 69 70 10093 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 13h 40m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 112
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15137
Calm 2166
Mini 159
Rush 119
EffOrt 101
Trap 20
Bale 15
scan(afreeca) 15
Dota 2
febbydoto17
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
fl0m3868
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King51
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4087
Liquid`Hasu654
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi1889
Beastyqt795
B2W.Neo587
RotterdaM518
shahzam373
C9.Mang0252
IndyStarCraft 178
crisheroes174
ToD128
Trikslyr99
Dewaltoss62
UpATreeSC53
ZombieGrub35
JuggernautJason25
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream30
Other Games
Algost 4
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 28
• Michael_bg 10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• TFBlade1021
Other Games
• imaqtpie1002
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
13h 40m
INu's Battles
14h 40m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
16h 40m
OSC
1d 1h
Replay Cast
1d 2h
OSC
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.