• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:13
CEST 13:13
KST 20:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8848 users

US Politics Mega-thread - Page 141

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 139 140 141 142 143 10093 Next
Read the rules in the OP before posting, please.

In order to ensure that this thread continues to meet TL standards and follows the proper guidelines, we will be enforcing the rules in the OP more strictly. Be sure to give them a re-read to refresh your memory! The vast majority of you are contributing in a healthy way, keep it up!

NOTE: When providing a source, explain why you feel it is relevant and what purpose it adds to the discussion if it's not obvious.
Also take note that unsubstantiated tweets/posts meant only to rekindle old arguments can result in a mod action.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-03 19:29:02
March 03 2013 19:27 GMT
#2801
On March 04 2013 04:26 WolfintheSheep wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 04 2013 04:22 sam!zdat wrote:
On March 04 2013 04:21 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On March 04 2013 04:14 sam!zdat wrote:
On March 04 2013 04:11 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On March 04 2013 03:56 sam!zdat wrote:
^You are focusing too much on theistic conceptions and ignoring the real question. This is because your goal is just to discredit an ideological enemy, and not to understand things. The idea of "God" in the way that you mean comes later.

No, I understand perfectly that the concept of God with a name, form or even abstract definition doesn't have to exist.

I just can't see how any sort of concept that could be remotely considered "God" is an automatic inclusion into any knowledge framework.

For example, if you were to place one million newborns into the wilderness in complete isolation, and every single one was to survive, you're saying that by the age of, say, 5, every single one of them would have God somewhere in the framework of their knowledge.


No, you're right, the babies would be positivists. How stupid I am.

So really, the problem is that you can't conceive of a knowledge base that doesn't involve a concept of God?


I can. But I'm a fucking postmodern subject!

So then, under what conditions would someone lack God in their knowledge base?


Only afterwards. Atheism comes from religion.

You are constituted by your rejection! How can you constitute yourself by a gesture of rejection if there is nothing there to reject??
shikata ga nai
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
March 03 2013 19:28 GMT
#2802
On March 04 2013 04:11 WolfintheSheep wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 04 2013 03:56 sam!zdat wrote:
^You are focusing too much on theistic conceptions and ignoring the real question. This is because your goal is just to discredit an ideological enemy, and not to understand things. The idea of "God" in the way that you mean comes later.

No, I understand perfectly that the concept of God with a name, form or even abstract definition doesn't have to exist.

I just can't see how any sort of concept that could be remotely considered "God" is an automatic inclusion into any knowledge framework.

For example, if you were to place one million newborns into the wilderness in complete isolation, and every single one was to survive, you're saying that by the age of, say, 5, every single one of them would have God somewhere in the framework of their knowledge.

What do you think an utterly uncivilized child totally without human contact is going to think of the massive floating sphere that hurts their eyes and yet warms their skin? And the first time they witness a full moon? What about the black bear that shows up one day and threatens violence with a loud growl, only to plod back into the woods to find some berries?
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
oneofthem
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Cayman Islands24199 Posts
March 03 2013 19:28 GMT
#2803
On March 04 2013 04:27 sam!zdat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 04 2013 04:26 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On March 04 2013 04:22 sam!zdat wrote:
On March 04 2013 04:21 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On March 04 2013 04:14 sam!zdat wrote:
On March 04 2013 04:11 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On March 04 2013 03:56 sam!zdat wrote:
^You are focusing too much on theistic conceptions and ignoring the real question. This is because your goal is just to discredit an ideological enemy, and not to understand things. The idea of "God" in the way that you mean comes later.

No, I understand perfectly that the concept of God with a name, form or even abstract definition doesn't have to exist.

I just can't see how any sort of concept that could be remotely considered "God" is an automatic inclusion into any knowledge framework.

For example, if you were to place one million newborns into the wilderness in complete isolation, and every single one was to survive, you're saying that by the age of, say, 5, every single one of them would have God somewhere in the framework of their knowledge.


No, you're right, the babies would be positivists. How stupid I am.

So really, the problem is that you can't conceive of a knowledge base that doesn't involve a concept of God?


I can. But I'm a fucking postmodern subject!

So then, under what conditions would someone lack God in their knowledge base?


Only afterwards. Atheism comes from religion.

that's silly
We have fed the heart on fantasies, the heart's grown brutal from the fare, more substance in our enmities than in our love
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-03 19:33:19
March 03 2013 19:29 GMT
#2804
On March 04 2013 04:28 oneofthem wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 04 2013 04:27 sam!zdat wrote:
On March 04 2013 04:26 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On March 04 2013 04:22 sam!zdat wrote:
On March 04 2013 04:21 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On March 04 2013 04:14 sam!zdat wrote:
On March 04 2013 04:11 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On March 04 2013 03:56 sam!zdat wrote:
^You are focusing too much on theistic conceptions and ignoring the real question. This is because your goal is just to discredit an ideological enemy, and not to understand things. The idea of "God" in the way that you mean comes later.

No, I understand perfectly that the concept of God with a name, form or even abstract definition doesn't have to exist.

I just can't see how any sort of concept that could be remotely considered "God" is an automatic inclusion into any knowledge framework.

For example, if you were to place one million newborns into the wilderness in complete isolation, and every single one was to survive, you're saying that by the age of, say, 5, every single one of them would have God somewhere in the framework of their knowledge.


No, you're right, the babies would be positivists. How stupid I am.

So really, the problem is that you can't conceive of a knowledge base that doesn't involve a concept of God?


I can. But I'm a fucking postmodern subject!

So then, under what conditions would someone lack God in their knowledge base?


Only afterwards. Atheism comes from religion.

that's silly


no it's not. You cannot be an atheist until your culture has been theistic. Atheism is not the degree-zero of weltanshauung. It is a belief with content.

it's a dialectical reversal! read your hegel oot

How can you reject "God" until you have a notion of what "God" is? That's why I always ask Atheists "what is God, that doesn't exist"? They cannot say what they believe, except by saying what they don't believe, but they can only ever reject a SPECIFIC NOTION OF THE DIVINE.

That's why atheists always think they are being so clever when they talk about how there is no "man in the clouds" or no "creator deity." they miss the point.
shikata ga nai
McBengt
Profile Joined May 2011
Sweden1684 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-03 19:34:03
March 03 2013 19:33 GMT
#2805
On March 04 2013 04:29 sam!zdat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 04 2013 04:28 oneofthem wrote:
On March 04 2013 04:27 sam!zdat wrote:
On March 04 2013 04:26 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On March 04 2013 04:22 sam!zdat wrote:
On March 04 2013 04:21 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On March 04 2013 04:14 sam!zdat wrote:
On March 04 2013 04:11 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On March 04 2013 03:56 sam!zdat wrote:
^You are focusing too much on theistic conceptions and ignoring the real question. This is because your goal is just to discredit an ideological enemy, and not to understand things. The idea of "God" in the way that you mean comes later.

No, I understand perfectly that the concept of God with a name, form or even abstract definition doesn't have to exist.

I just can't see how any sort of concept that could be remotely considered "God" is an automatic inclusion into any knowledge framework.

For example, if you were to place one million newborns into the wilderness in complete isolation, and every single one was to survive, you're saying that by the age of, say, 5, every single one of them would have God somewhere in the framework of their knowledge.


No, you're right, the babies would be positivists. How stupid I am.

So really, the problem is that you can't conceive of a knowledge base that doesn't involve a concept of God?


I can. But I'm a fucking postmodern subject!

So then, under what conditions would someone lack God in their knowledge base?


Only afterwards. Atheism comes from religion.

that's silly


no it's not. You cannot be an atheist until your culture has been theistic. Atheism is not the degree-zero of weltanshauung. It is a belief with content.


What is the content then? And how is it a belief?

And for the record, I never called you a douche, at any point. I took exception to what I perceived as an insult to my intelligence, that's it. You sure do come across as a bit of a juvenile contrarian from time to time.
"My twelve year old will out-reason Bill Maher when it comes to understanding, you know, what, uh, how to logic work" - Rick Santorum
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
March 03 2013 19:35 GMT
#2806
On March 04 2013 04:33 McBengt wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 04 2013 04:29 sam!zdat wrote:
On March 04 2013 04:28 oneofthem wrote:
On March 04 2013 04:27 sam!zdat wrote:
On March 04 2013 04:26 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On March 04 2013 04:22 sam!zdat wrote:
On March 04 2013 04:21 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On March 04 2013 04:14 sam!zdat wrote:
On March 04 2013 04:11 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On March 04 2013 03:56 sam!zdat wrote:
^You are focusing too much on theistic conceptions and ignoring the real question. This is because your goal is just to discredit an ideological enemy, and not to understand things. The idea of "God" in the way that you mean comes later.

No, I understand perfectly that the concept of God with a name, form or even abstract definition doesn't have to exist.

I just can't see how any sort of concept that could be remotely considered "God" is an automatic inclusion into any knowledge framework.

For example, if you were to place one million newborns into the wilderness in complete isolation, and every single one was to survive, you're saying that by the age of, say, 5, every single one of them would have God somewhere in the framework of their knowledge.


No, you're right, the babies would be positivists. How stupid I am.

So really, the problem is that you can't conceive of a knowledge base that doesn't involve a concept of God?


I can. But I'm a fucking postmodern subject!

So then, under what conditions would someone lack God in their knowledge base?


Only afterwards. Atheism comes from religion.

that's silly


no it's not. You cannot be an atheist until your culture has been theistic. Atheism is not the degree-zero of weltanshauung. It is a belief with content.


What is the content then? And how is it a belief?

And for the record, I never called you a douche, at any point. I took exception to what I perceived as an insult to my intelligence, that's it. You sure do come across as a bit of a juvenile contrarian from time to time.


the other guy called me a douche. I'm definitely a contrarian (it's in my blood) but I think atheists are the juvenile ones.

see my edit above for why it is a belief with content
shikata ga nai
WolfintheSheep
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada14127 Posts
March 03 2013 19:40 GMT
#2807
On March 04 2013 04:28 farvacola wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 04 2013 04:11 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On March 04 2013 03:56 sam!zdat wrote:
^You are focusing too much on theistic conceptions and ignoring the real question. This is because your goal is just to discredit an ideological enemy, and not to understand things. The idea of "God" in the way that you mean comes later.

No, I understand perfectly that the concept of God with a name, form or even abstract definition doesn't have to exist.

I just can't see how any sort of concept that could be remotely considered "God" is an automatic inclusion into any knowledge framework.

For example, if you were to place one million newborns into the wilderness in complete isolation, and every single one was to survive, you're saying that by the age of, say, 5, every single one of them would have God somewhere in the framework of their knowledge.

What do you think an utterly uncivilized child totally without human contact is going to think of the massive floating sphere that hurts their eyes and yet warms their skin? And the first time they witness a full moon? What about the black bear that shows up one day and threatens violence with a loud growl, only to plod back into the woods to find some berries?


How does an animal think of these things? The sun just comes with the day, and the day is when its safer to be out. The moon comes with the night, that's when you should sleep in a safe place. A black bear is a big threat, you should avoid it.

It's well within human capacity to simply accept something to be as it is. I know as a child there were things that I didn't question with deep thought. A rock on a field was a rock on a field, and I never bothered to think about where it came from or why it was there. There was plenty of things that I did question, but there was never an intrinsic requirement to have an explanation for every thing I ever experienced.

This is basically a chicken and the egg problem. You assume that God always existed and that it was used to explain everything, I believe God did not exist until questioning reached a point where it was required.

For all I know, the very first sentient thoughts could have been "Why is the sun there? Someone put it there. Who is that someone?"

At the same time, the first sentient thoughts could have been "That animal is big, it's stronger than me. I can't kill it. Can I kill it? How would I kill it?"
Average means I'm better than half of you.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-03 19:42:59
March 03 2013 19:41 GMT
#2808
On March 04 2013 04:40 WolfintheSheep wrote:
You assume that God always existed and that it was used to explain everything, I believe God did not exist until questioning reached a point where it was required.


If you would listen to what I have been saying, you would see how both of these things are true.

On March 04 2013 04:40 WolfintheSheep wrote:
At the same time, the first sentient thoughts could have been "That animal is big, it's stronger than me. I can't kill it. Can I kill it? How would I kill it?"


Don't be ridiculous. You are projecting a much more developed stage of consciousness back onto primordial origins (classic fallacy of liberal thought, we might add)
shikata ga nai
WolfintheSheep
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada14127 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-03 19:44:22
March 03 2013 19:43 GMT
#2809
On March 04 2013 04:41 sam!zdat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 04 2013 04:40 WolfintheSheep wrote:
You assume that God always existed and that it was used to explain everything, I believe God did not exist until questioning reached a point where it was required.


If you would listen to what I have been saying, you would see how both of these things are true.

No, you believe that an abstract concept God always exists within the knowledge framework of a sentient being. I believe that sentient beings will always be capable of having a concept related to God, but it is never a requirement.

On March 04 2013 04:41 sam!zdat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 04 2013 04:40 WolfintheSheep wrote:
At the same time, the first sentient thoughts could have been "That animal is big, it's stronger than me. I can't kill it. Can I kill it? How would I kill it?"


Don't be ridiculous. You are projecting a much more developed stage of consciousness back onto primordial origins (classic fallacy of liberal thought, we might add)

Or perhaps it's simply translation convention.
Average means I'm better than half of you.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
March 03 2013 19:43 GMT
#2810
On March 04 2013 04:43 WolfintheSheep wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 04 2013 04:41 sam!zdat wrote:
On March 04 2013 04:40 WolfintheSheep wrote:
You assume that God always existed and that it was used to explain everything, I believe God did not exist until questioning reached a point where it was required.


If you would listen to what I have been saying, you would see how both of these things are true.

No, you believe that an abstract concept God always exists within the knowledge framework of a sentient being.


No, I rejected this explicitly.


I believe that sentient beings will always be capable of having a concept related to God, but it is never a requirement.


WHAT IS GOD???
shikata ga nai
McBengt
Profile Joined May 2011
Sweden1684 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-03 19:49:03
March 03 2013 19:44 GMT
#2811
On March 04 2013 04:35 sam!zdat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 04 2013 04:33 McBengt wrote:
On March 04 2013 04:29 sam!zdat wrote:
On March 04 2013 04:28 oneofthem wrote:
On March 04 2013 04:27 sam!zdat wrote:
On March 04 2013 04:26 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On March 04 2013 04:22 sam!zdat wrote:
On March 04 2013 04:21 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On March 04 2013 04:14 sam!zdat wrote:
On March 04 2013 04:11 WolfintheSheep wrote:
[quote]
No, I understand perfectly that the concept of God with a name, form or even abstract definition doesn't have to exist.

I just can't see how any sort of concept that could be remotely considered "God" is an automatic inclusion into any knowledge framework.

For example, if you were to place one million newborns into the wilderness in complete isolation, and every single one was to survive, you're saying that by the age of, say, 5, every single one of them would have God somewhere in the framework of their knowledge.


No, you're right, the babies would be positivists. How stupid I am.

So really, the problem is that you can't conceive of a knowledge base that doesn't involve a concept of God?


I can. But I'm a fucking postmodern subject!

So then, under what conditions would someone lack God in their knowledge base?


Only afterwards. Atheism comes from religion.

that's silly


no it's not. You cannot be an atheist until your culture has been theistic. Atheism is not the degree-zero of weltanshauung. It is a belief with content.


What is the content then? And how is it a belief?

And for the record, I never called you a douche, at any point. I took exception to what I perceived as an insult to my intelligence, that's it. You sure do come across as a bit of a juvenile contrarian from time to time.


the other guy called me a douche. I'm definitely a contrarian (it's in my blood) but I think atheists are the juvenile ones.

see my edit above for why it is a belief with content


I reject your line of reasoning. I frankly find it absurd. I don't need to identify or recognise every variety of superstition and unfounded belief in order to dismiss them. A refusal to give credence to anything which is not supported by science and empirical evidence is enough, it's not up to me to make my case here. I am willing to consider every position and evaluate every claim according to the same standards of evidence. That is all that anyone can reasonably expect.

This strikes me as a particularly weak argument. "You don't understand every minute detail of my faith, therefore you cannot dismiss it!"

Yes I can. Until something concrete is presented, I damn well can.

Edit: Unless of course you postulate a claim that is so vague and poorly defined that you cannot possible argue against it, because there is nothing to argue against, i.e the universe is god or some such nonsense. And that is where I lose interest. I don't care for a discussion that does not conform to at least a basic level of intellectual honesty.
"My twelve year old will out-reason Bill Maher when it comes to understanding, you know, what, uh, how to logic work" - Rick Santorum
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-03 19:47:05
March 03 2013 19:45 GMT
#2812
"my faith"?

what are you possibly talking about? What faith does sam have?

On March 04 2013 04:44 McBengt wrote:
A refusal to give credence to anything which is not supported by science and empirical evidence is enough


Oh yeah!?!?!? Well I don't believe you have self-consciousness!! Only I have self-consciousness!! You are just an automaton!
shikata ga nai
ACrow
Profile Joined October 2011
Germany6583 Posts
March 03 2013 19:48 GMT
#2813
Isn't this thread supposed to be about US politics? I came here expecting to read about for example the fiscal cuts that came to enforcement on friday and instead all I see is abstract stuff about the concept of a god...
Maybe go back to topic?
Get off my lawn, young punks
WolfintheSheep
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada14127 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-03 19:49:35
March 03 2013 19:48 GMT
#2814
On March 04 2013 04:43 sam!zdat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 04 2013 04:43 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On March 04 2013 04:41 sam!zdat wrote:
On March 04 2013 04:40 WolfintheSheep wrote:
You assume that God always existed and that it was used to explain everything, I believe God did not exist until questioning reached a point where it was required.


If you would listen to what I have been saying, you would see how both of these things are true.

No, you believe that an abstract concept God always exists within the knowledge framework of a sentient being.


No, I rejected this explicitly.

I don't see how. You said atheism only exists after theism, and you said you could conceive of such a framework, but then rejected it on the basis of impossibility.

Show nested quote +

I believe that sentient beings will always be capable of having a concept related to God, but it is never a requirement.


WHAT IS GOD???

I don't know, you tell me. You're the one saying that even if it wasn't separated out from the knowledge base, religion of some form has always existed for mankind.


On March 04 2013 04:48 ACrow wrote:
Isn't this thread supposed to be about US politics? I came here expecting to read about for example the fiscal cuts that came to enforcement on friday and instead all I see is abstract stuff about the concept of a god...
Maybe go back to topic?

I suppose it would be nice to have a separate topic for this.
Average means I'm better than half of you.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-03 19:54:26
March 03 2013 19:50 GMT
#2815
On March 04 2013 04:48 ACrow wrote:
Isn't this thread supposed to be about US politics? I came here expecting to read about for example the fiscal cuts that came to enforcement on friday and instead all I see is abstract stuff about the concept of a god...
Maybe go back to topic?


Religion is extremely important to american politics, as it happens. Give me a few more hours and I'll solve our cultural crisis, just you watch.

edit:@wolf - I've already addressed your points. Look back over what I wrote and try to see what I'm getting at. All I can do is twirl the lotus. If you don't believe me, you might go learn something about anthropology.

edit: Why does reality exhibit law-like behavior? Whence this understanding of the cosmos, so crucial to the atheistic conception? It is not the most immediately obvious way to think about things. It is not the natural state of man. It had to be developed, and religion was an integral part of that development.
shikata ga nai
WolfintheSheep
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada14127 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-03 19:53:36
March 03 2013 19:53 GMT
#2816
On March 04 2013 04:50 sam!zdat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 04 2013 04:48 ACrow wrote:
Isn't this thread supposed to be about US politics? I came here expecting to read about for example the fiscal cuts that came to enforcement on friday and instead all I see is abstract stuff about the concept of a god...
Maybe go back to topic?


Religion is extremely important to american politics, as it happens. Give me a few more hours and I'll solve our cultural crisis, just you watch.

edit:@wolf - I've already addressed your points. Look back over what I wrote and try to see what I'm getting at. All I can do is twirl the lotus.

You really haven't. All you've done is associate a lack of theistic concept with a rejection of theism.
Average means I'm better than half of you.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
March 03 2013 19:54 GMT
#2817
On March 04 2013 04:53 WolfintheSheep wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 04 2013 04:50 sam!zdat wrote:
On March 04 2013 04:48 ACrow wrote:
Isn't this thread supposed to be about US politics? I came here expecting to read about for example the fiscal cuts that came to enforcement on friday and instead all I see is abstract stuff about the concept of a god...
Maybe go back to topic?


Religion is extremely important to american politics, as it happens. Give me a few more hours and I'll solve our cultural crisis, just you watch.

edit:@wolf - I've already addressed your points. Look back over what I wrote and try to see what I'm getting at. All I can do is twirl the lotus.

You really haven't. All you've done is associate a lack of theistic concept with a rejection of theism.


No, that is your mistake. You conflate the two.
shikata ga nai
WolfintheSheep
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada14127 Posts
March 03 2013 19:57 GMT
#2818
On March 04 2013 04:54 sam!zdat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 04 2013 04:53 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On March 04 2013 04:50 sam!zdat wrote:
On March 04 2013 04:48 ACrow wrote:
Isn't this thread supposed to be about US politics? I came here expecting to read about for example the fiscal cuts that came to enforcement on friday and instead all I see is abstract stuff about the concept of a god...
Maybe go back to topic?


Religion is extremely important to american politics, as it happens. Give me a few more hours and I'll solve our cultural crisis, just you watch.

edit:@wolf - I've already addressed your points. Look back over what I wrote and try to see what I'm getting at. All I can do is twirl the lotus.

You really haven't. All you've done is associate a lack of theistic concept with a rejection of theism.


No, that is your mistake. You conflate the two.

I don't see how. You're the one that specifically stated that a lack of God only comes with atheism, which has absolutely no relation to a lack of theistic concept.
Average means I'm better than half of you.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-03 20:00:06
March 03 2013 19:59 GMT
#2819
It's the "pre-trans fallacy".

"lack of God" is not equivalent to "lack of theistic concept", they are on opposite sides of the rupture

if you lack a theistic concept, you do not know that you lack a theistic concept. If you lack God, you know very fucking well that you lack God.
shikata ga nai
McBengt
Profile Joined May 2011
Sweden1684 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-03 20:00:17
March 03 2013 19:59 GMT
#2820
On March 04 2013 04:45 sam!zdat wrote:
"my faith"?

what are you possibly talking about? What faith does sam have?


I wasn't speaking to you, it's just an example of an annyoing form of reasoning I've encountered before.


Oh yeah!?!?!? Well I don't believe you have self-consciousness!! Only I have self-consciousness!! You are just an automaton!


The fact that I am speaking and thinking and responding is sufficient proof that I am sentient. You are making a basic mistake in not recognising the varying degrees of burden of proof. A claim that I am me and not an automaton can easily verified or disproved. Once I present myself in all my fleshy glory and have a basic conversation the burden of proof is fulfilled. The burden of proof for the divine, as you may have guessed, is quite different. I suppose an ardent contrarian such as yourself could find some ridiculous reason to question the most mundane claims beyond reason, but most people grow out of that some time during high school. Not all claims are equal. Some require more proof, some less. A claim of a god requires, in technical terms, a fuckton.

The only other option is some form of morbid solipsism that bores me beyond words
"My twelve year old will out-reason Bill Maher when it comes to understanding, you know, what, uh, how to logic work" - Rick Santorum
Prev 1 139 140 141 142 143 10093 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
IntoTheiNu 654
WardiTV184
LiquipediaDiscussion
Afreeca Starleague
19:00
Ro4 Match 2
Soma vs Soulkey
Afreeca ASL 11902
StarCastTV_EN365
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko274
ProTech130
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 14019
Bisu 3836
Jaedong 3580
EffOrt 1139
BeSt 892
ZerO 446
Horang2 436
Pusan 263
Larva 240
actioN 232
[ Show more ]
Zeus 222
Hyun 139
Mind 133
Barracks 87
ggaemo 71
Killer 47
Yoon 47
scan(afreeca) 44
Sharp 43
NotJumperer 38
Bale 35
ToSsGirL 34
Shinee 30
Sacsri 21
Hm[arnc] 21
Sea.KH 15
Terrorterran 13
Noble 9
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
zelot 5
Dota 2
Dendi116
League of Legends
JimRising 377
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1620
byalli776
Other Games
crisheroes247
Pyrionflax175
dupreeh101
Mew2King67
DeMusliM58
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 183
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream58
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 62
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV538
• lizZardDota2282
League of Legends
• Jankos1299
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
12h 47m
Patches Events
1d 4h
The PondCast
1d 22h
INu's Battles
1d 23h
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.