• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:58
CEST 13:58
KST 20:58
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9785 users

US Politics Mega-thread - Page 137

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 135 136 137 138 139 10093 Next
Read the rules in the OP before posting, please.

In order to ensure that this thread continues to meet TL standards and follows the proper guidelines, we will be enforcing the rules in the OP more strictly. Be sure to give them a re-read to refresh your memory! The vast majority of you are contributing in a healthy way, keep it up!

NOTE: When providing a source, explain why you feel it is relevant and what purpose it adds to the discussion if it's not obvious.
Also take note that unsubstantiated tweets/posts meant only to rekindle old arguments can result in a mod action.
Roe
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Canada6002 Posts
March 03 2013 04:39 GMT
#2721

all of the world's religious texts are extremely profound documents that deserve our utmost respect and attention.


Why do you think that?
Sermokala
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States14211 Posts
March 03 2013 04:40 GMT
#2722
On March 03 2013 13:26 sam!zdat wrote:
sermo, dear buddy, this is another one of those places where I just have to hope that our audience comes to the RIGHTconclusion

I agree the right conclusion is the correct conclusion in every case henceforth.
A wise man will say that he knows nothing. We're gona party like its 2752 Hail Dark Brandon
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
March 03 2013 04:42 GMT
#2723
On March 03 2013 13:39 Roe wrote:
Show nested quote +

all of the world's religious texts are extremely profound documents that deserve our utmost respect and attention.


Why do you think that?


Because I am an educated person. When I was young and foolish, I would have joined in with you in making fun of the religious. Then I grew up a little, and learned some things, and now I understand the world is not as simple as I once thought.


Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
shikata ga nai
Sermokala
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States14211 Posts
March 03 2013 04:45 GMT
#2724
On March 03 2013 13:38 sam!zdat wrote:
If only you understood what injustice America perpetrates in the world in the name of "freedom," and then put that together with your Christian ideals, THEN we'd be getting somewhere

don't you see Sermo? WE ARE CAESAR

Oh trust me I know how shitty america is/are in the world. But we do what we must because we can.
A wise man will say that he knows nothing. We're gona party like its 2752 Hail Dark Brandon
TotalBalanceSC2
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada475 Posts
March 03 2013 04:48 GMT
#2725
On March 03 2013 13:42 sam!zdat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2013 13:39 Roe wrote:

all of the world's religious texts are extremely profound documents that deserve our utmost respect and attention.


Why do you think that?


Because I am an educated person. When I was young and foolish, I would have joined in with you in making fun of the religious. Then I grew up a little, and learned some things, and now I understand the world is not as simple as I once thought.

Show nested quote +

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.


"Before I learned the art, a punch was just a punch, and a kick, just a kick.
After I learned the art, a punch was no longer a punch, a kick, no longer a kick.
Now that I understand the art, a punch is just a punch and a kick is just a kick."
-Bruce Lee
WolfintheSheep
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada14127 Posts
March 03 2013 04:49 GMT
#2726
On March 03 2013 13:32 sam!zdat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2013 13:31 WolfintheSheep wrote:
I'm almost certain that attaching a rock on a stick came long before religion.



So...you don't think that inventing tools to solve problems is critical thinking?
Average means I'm better than half of you.
Roe
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Canada6002 Posts
March 03 2013 04:52 GMT
#2727
On March 03 2013 13:42 sam!zdat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2013 13:39 Roe wrote:

all of the world's religious texts are extremely profound documents that deserve our utmost respect and attention.


Why do you think that?


Because I am an educated person. When I was young and foolish, I would have joined in with you in making fun of the religious. Then I grew up a little, and learned some things, and now I understand the world is not as simple as I once thought.

Show nested quote +

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.



When did I make fun of the religious?
And so you're right because you're right because you're right.
Criticize everything!
erin[go]bragh
Profile Joined December 2008
United States815 Posts
March 03 2013 04:54 GMT
#2728
On March 03 2013 13:42 sam!zdat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2013 13:39 Roe wrote:

all of the world's religious texts are extremely profound documents that deserve our utmost respect and attention.


Why do you think that?


Because I am an educated person. When I was young and foolish, I would have joined in with you in making fun of the religious. Then I grew up a little, and learned some things, and now I understand the world is not as simple as I once thought.

Show nested quote +

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.


I agree religious texts should be treated as interesting literature, but what makes them so special? What makes them so profound? I can see them being read and discussed alongside the works of Homer but I don't see the need to treat them as anything more.

And just for clarification, are you saying there was no critical thinking before religion (i.e critical thinking was born of it) or am I speed reading too fast?
JulyZerg! by.hero, effOrt, KTY.
radscorpion9
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Canada2252 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-03 05:04:57
March 03 2013 04:58 GMT
#2729
On March 03 2013 13:32 sam!zdat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2013 13:27 Roe wrote:
On March 03 2013 13:22 sam!zdat wrote:
On March 03 2013 13:19 Roe wrote:
On March 03 2013 13:11 sam!zdat wrote:
sorry parallel, without religion there is no such thing as critical thinking. (european) Critical thought arose from the exegesis of scripture. you are totally off base on this one. Understanding religion and learning how to read and appreciate religious texts is a very important part of education.

edit: if any american student graduated high school with the critical ability of a Talmudic scholar, e.g., that would be a wild success


critical thinking is dependent on religion? so when i think critically, I have to think about religion?


No, you can think critically about everything. the point is that people first started applying critical thought to religion, because that was the most important thing to think about, for them, and they had to solve all kinds of problems of scriptural exegesis. of course, critical thought, despite being the product of traditional religion, ended up being the downfall of traditional religion. but hey man, that's the dialectic for ya'. how you like dem apples

edit: just remember. there's always another turn of the screw


that's what i thought you meant. I just thought it was strange you used that as a reason to say parallel was wrong and completely off base.


because it's extremely ignorant to say that there's nothing useful about studying religion. there's always something more to be learned from studying religious texts, all of the world's religious texts are extremely profound documents that deserve our utmost respect and attention.


But wouldn't you agree that society should generally try to move away from studying religion. I'm sure it still has some value in it, because religion has been around for a long time and has indoctrinated (unfortunately) some smart people who may have contributed some profound insights. But how many other great works are out there that don't have to do with religion? I just feel like this is kind of a shameful part of human history, that we should try to evolve away from if we can.

Like I'm sure there were some brilliant ideas in many fields that are now defunct, its just that as the world becomes more modernized we try to leave those behind. Any arguments that are worthwhile in religion still exist in some form today anyway; but of course they have all been destroyed.

I mean which should we focus on in schools, some critical analysis of what a religious scholar thought when he was dissecting a holy text, or a great work of philosophy? Or literature? Or poetry? Something that has far more meaning and relevance today? Its just there are better things to focus on.

Also I know you believe reason is a faith...but you're only correct in an extreme, technical way (i.e. reason being unable to justify reason). But its not relevant: Realistically, and practically speaking, reason works. What has brought about everything positive in society? Reason. Religion may have been necessary for a time, but its plainly not necessary in today's world. Religion has been modernized and secularized to the point where it has little relevance - i.e. the pope is just a funny, and to some, lovable celebrity who waves from the popemobile or gives speeches that register a blip on the media, he has no power anymore.

If you're going to dissect reason, you're not going to use something as ridiculous as religion anyway, its going to be reason again (paradoxically).
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-03 05:09:26
March 03 2013 05:04 GMT
#2730
On March 03 2013 13:49 WolfintheSheep wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2013 13:32 sam!zdat wrote:
On March 03 2013 13:31 WolfintheSheep wrote:
I'm almost certain that attaching a rock on a stick came long before religion.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amUowhHVBM4

So...you don't think that inventing tools to solve problems is critical thinking?


no

On March 03 2013 13:45 Sermokala wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2013 13:38 sam!zdat wrote:
If only you understood what injustice America perpetrates in the world in the name of "freedom," and then put that together with your Christian ideals, THEN we'd be getting somewhere

don't you see Sermo? WE ARE CAESAR

Oh trust me I know how shitty america is/are in the world. But we do what we must because we can.


This is not a Christian position. I recommend that you reconsider the matter.

On March 03 2013 13:48 TotalBalanceSC2 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2013 13:42 sam!zdat wrote:
On March 03 2013 13:39 Roe wrote:

all of the world's religious texts are extremely profound documents that deserve our utmost respect and attention.


Why do you think that?


Because I am an educated person. When I was young and foolish, I would have joined in with you in making fun of the religious. Then I grew up a little, and learned some things, and now I understand the world is not as simple as I once thought.


Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.


"Before I learned the art, a punch was just a punch, and a kick, just a kick.
After I learned the art, a punch was no longer a punch, a kick, no longer a kick.
Now that I understand the art, a punch is just a punch and a kick is just a kick."
-Bruce Lee


Bruce Lee is not far from the dao.

On March 03 2013 13:52 Roe wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2013 13:42 sam!zdat wrote:
On March 03 2013 13:39 Roe wrote:

all of the world's religious texts are extremely profound documents that deserve our utmost respect and attention.


Why do you think that?


Because I am an educated person. When I was young and foolish, I would have joined in with you in making fun of the religious. Then I grew up a little, and learned some things, and now I understand the world is not as simple as I once thought.


Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.



When did I make fun of the religious?
And so you're right because you're right because you're right.
Criticize everything!


maybe you didn't

If you want to critique (not "criticize") religion, I recommend you start by trying to understand it. I'm just telling you about my own experience. You should think about what you know about me, and decide whether or not you want to take me seriously. margaritas ante porcos (biblical injunction to always drink tequila before eating lambchop)

On March 03 2013 13:54 erin[go]bragh wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2013 13:42 sam!zdat wrote:
On March 03 2013 13:39 Roe wrote:

all of the world's religious texts are extremely profound documents that deserve our utmost respect and attention.


Why do you think that?


Because I am an educated person. When I was young and foolish, I would have joined in with you in making fun of the religious. Then I grew up a little, and learned some things, and now I understand the world is not as simple as I once thought.


Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.


I agree religious texts should be treated as interesting literature, but what makes them so special? What makes them so profound? I can see them being read and discussed alongside the works of Homer but I don't see the need to treat them as anything more.


I don't think they are special. I think the written word is sacred, in general. Those are just texts that need special defending, in our day and age. And they really are quite good.


And just for clarification, are you saying there was no critical thinking before religion (i.e critical thinking was born of it) or am I speed reading too fast?


Yes, that's what I'm saying. It's as true for Socrates as it is for Bacon.

On March 03 2013 13:58 radscorpion9 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2013 13:32 sam!zdat wrote:
On March 03 2013 13:27 Roe wrote:
On March 03 2013 13:22 sam!zdat wrote:
On March 03 2013 13:19 Roe wrote:
On March 03 2013 13:11 sam!zdat wrote:
sorry parallel, without religion there is no such thing as critical thinking. (european) Critical thought arose from the exegesis of scripture. you are totally off base on this one. Understanding religion and learning how to read and appreciate religious texts is a very important part of education.

edit: if any american student graduated high school with the critical ability of a Talmudic scholar, e.g., that would be a wild success


critical thinking is dependent on religion? so when i think critically, I have to think about religion?


No, you can think critically about everything. the point is that people first started applying critical thought to religion, because that was the most important thing to think about, for them, and they had to solve all kinds of problems of scriptural exegesis. of course, critical thought, despite being the product of traditional religion, ended up being the downfall of traditional religion. but hey man, that's the dialectic for ya'. how you like dem apples

edit: just remember. there's always another turn of the screw


that's what i thought you meant. I just thought it was strange you used that as a reason to say parallel was wrong and completely off base.


because it's extremely ignorant to say that there's nothing useful about studying religion. there's always something more to be learned from studying religious texts, all of the world's religious texts are extremely profound documents that deserve our utmost respect and attention.


But wouldn't you agree that society should generally try to move away from studying religion.


No, I've been arguing the opposite rather strenuously.


If you're going to dissect reason, you're not going to use something as ridiculous as religion anyway, its going to be reason again (paradoxically).


On the contrary, you want something PRECISELY as ridiculous as religion

On March 03 2013 13:58 radscorpion9 wrote:
Religion may have been necessary for a time, but its plainly not necessary in today's world.


I could not disagree more. I think religion is more important today than it has ever been.
shikata ga nai
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
March 03 2013 05:06 GMT
#2731
On March 03 2013 12:25 JonnyBNoHo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2013 10:36 farvacola wrote:
On March 03 2013 09:51 JonnyBNoHo wrote:
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.

Does anyone here know the specifics of the terms used here and what the background behind all this is? We seem to be making lots of judgements based on preexisting notions / stereotypes.

Ok, so higher order thinking skills are a major component of Bloom's Taxonomy, specifically in regards to what Bloom calls the Cognitive domain, to be contrasted with the other two major educational objective domains, Affective and Psychomotor. The Cognitive domain includes 6 "levels"; the bottom three, knowledge, comprehension, and application, are considered the lower order thinking skills, while the top three, analysis, synthesis, and evaluation, are considered the higher. While opinions on Bloom's Taxonomy can vary, it's presence in the classroom is practically ubiquitous, due in part to the presence of HOTS alongside the vast majority of standards based education reforms in the United States (think No Child Left Behind+state education testing). Standardized testing notwithstanding, you'd be hardpressed to find many conventional K-12 school systems in the United States that do not include some sort of HOTS in their curriculum. On a more anecdotal note, a number of my friends have become teachers, and not a single one went through their teacher's ed without learning Bloom's Taxonomy and how to apply it in the classroom.

OBE, or Outcome-based education, is basically a catch all term for education modalities that include an empirical educational measure, or a test. What's funny is that the very definition and meaning of OBE is a hotly contested subject amongst educators, for OBE does not prescribe any particular brand of curriculum or education, just that one measure an associated "outcome". Most complaints leveled towards OBE are actually about a particular curriculum's failure, rather than the notion that a test is a useful component of education.

So basically the Texas Republican Party is saying that HOTS is OBE, and OBE is actually behavior modification/parental authority subversion. In other words, they are putting forth this, "Critical thinking=teaching to a test, teaching to a test=behavior modification, therefore bad." They clearly have no idea what they are talking about.

You're telling me that HOTS / OBE are somewhat ambiguous terms. That makes context pretty important. I don't think you can support your conclusion that 'they have no idea what they're talking about' without establishing what that context is.

For example, here's the Texas GOP platform position from 2010:

Show nested quote +
Knowledge-Based Education – The primary purpose of public schools is to teach critical thinking skills, reading, writing, arithmetic, phonics, history, science, and character as well as knowledge-based education, not job training. We support knowledge-based curriculum standards and tests. We support successful career and technology programs, but oppose mandatory career training. We oppose Outcome-Based Education (OBE) and similar programs. Further, because of an aging U.S. population and global competition, and because much of today’s education teaches children to be employees or perhaps at best managers for employers, we encourage the teaching of entrepreneurial skills and investment skills.


Either they made an incredible about face (not impossible!) or we're missing some important context.

You wanna know what I think prompted that about face? That the Texas GOP wants to legitimize the teaching of flawed Christian ideological science alongside hard science as equals is no secret, and exactly how a political party with tenuous if not outright adversarial relations with school boards and unions is supposed to get this into action is something they've been working on for some time now. I believe it was Roe that earlier lamented how everything becomes politicized; in this case it is sort of the opposite. Texas Republicans are attempting to conceal something very political beneath the veneer of legitimate education reform; let's think, of the major subject areas, which part, when coupled with critical thinking, would seem most troubling to them? (and I say to them because to most outsiders, the answer would probably be every subject )
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
ControlMonkey
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Australia3109 Posts
March 03 2013 05:08 GMT
#2732
On March 03 2013 13:42 sam!zdat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2013 13:39 Roe wrote:

all of the world's religious texts are extremely profound documents that deserve our utmost respect and attention.


Why do you think that?


Because I am an educated person. When I was young and foolish, I would have joined in with you in making fun of the religious. Then I grew up a little, and learned some things, and now I understand the world is not as simple as I once thought.

Show nested quote +

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.


Ah, the passage after the passage most likely to be incorrectly preached at weddings...
HellRoxYa
Profile Joined September 2010
Sweden1614 Posts
March 03 2013 05:09 GMT
#2733
On March 03 2013 14:04 sam!zdat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2013 13:54 erin[go]bragh wrote:
On March 03 2013 13:42 sam!zdat wrote:
On March 03 2013 13:39 Roe wrote:

all of the world's religious texts are extremely profound documents that deserve our utmost respect and attention.


Why do you think that?


Because I am an educated person. When I was young and foolish, I would have joined in with you in making fun of the religious. Then I grew up a little, and learned some things, and now I understand the world is not as simple as I once thought.


Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.


I agree religious texts should be treated as interesting literature, but what makes them so special? What makes them so profound? I can see them being read and discussed alongside the works of Homer but I don't see the need to treat them as anything more.


I don't think they are special. I think the written word is sacred, in general. Those are just texts that need special defending, in our day and age. And they really are quite good.


I'm sorry, special defending? From what? In what way? We're not burning holy books (at least not in an effort to get rid of all of them).
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-03 05:12:20
March 03 2013 05:09 GMT
#2734
On March 03 2013 14:08 ControlMonkey wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2013 13:42 sam!zdat wrote:
On March 03 2013 13:39 Roe wrote:

all of the world's religious texts are extremely profound documents that deserve our utmost respect and attention.


Why do you think that?


Because I am an educated person. When I was young and foolish, I would have joined in with you in making fun of the religious. Then I grew up a little, and learned some things, and now I understand the world is not as simple as I once thought.


Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.


Ah, the passage after the passage most likely to be incorrectly preached at weddings...


I don't know anything about weddings. I just know good poetry when I read it.

On March 03 2013 14:09 HellRoxYa wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2013 14:04 sam!zdat wrote:
On March 03 2013 13:54 erin[go]bragh wrote:
On March 03 2013 13:42 sam!zdat wrote:
On March 03 2013 13:39 Roe wrote:

all of the world's religious texts are extremely profound documents that deserve our utmost respect and attention.


Why do you think that?


Because I am an educated person. When I was young and foolish, I would have joined in with you in making fun of the religious. Then I grew up a little, and learned some things, and now I understand the world is not as simple as I once thought.


Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.


I agree religious texts should be treated as interesting literature, but what makes them so special? What makes them so profound? I can see them being read and discussed alongside the works of Homer but I don't see the need to treat them as anything more.


I don't think they are special. I think the written word is sacred, in general. Those are just texts that need special defending, in our day and age. And they really are quite good.


I'm sorry, special defending? From what? In what way? We're not burning holy books (at least not in an effort to get rid of all of them).


It is not necessary to burn books to get rid of them. People just have to stop reading them. Or, worse, the only people who read them are the people who don't read them critically! They need defending from the fashionable and childish attitude that they are worthy of being despised, which could not be further from the truth.
shikata ga nai
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
March 03 2013 05:11 GMT
#2735
On March 03 2013 14:09 HellRoxYa wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2013 14:04 sam!zdat wrote:
On March 03 2013 13:54 erin[go]bragh wrote:
On March 03 2013 13:42 sam!zdat wrote:
On March 03 2013 13:39 Roe wrote:

all of the world's religious texts are extremely profound documents that deserve our utmost respect and attention.


Why do you think that?


Because I am an educated person. When I was young and foolish, I would have joined in with you in making fun of the religious. Then I grew up a little, and learned some things, and now I understand the world is not as simple as I once thought.


Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.


I agree religious texts should be treated as interesting literature, but what makes them so special? What makes them so profound? I can see them being read and discussed alongside the works of Homer but I don't see the need to treat them as anything more.


I don't think they are special. I think the written word is sacred, in general. Those are just texts that need special defending, in our day and age. And they really are quite good.


I'm sorry, special defending? From what? In what way? We're not burning holy books (at least not in an effort to get rid of all of them).

The Bible has become a weapon used either for or against. That's what needs to change.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
WolfintheSheep
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada14127 Posts
March 03 2013 05:14 GMT
#2736
On March 03 2013 14:04 sam!zdat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2013 13:49 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On March 03 2013 13:32 sam!zdat wrote:
On March 03 2013 13:31 WolfintheSheep wrote:
I'm almost certain that attaching a rock on a stick came long before religion.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amUowhHVBM4

So...you don't think that inventing tools to solve problems is critical thinking?


no

So let's be clear here: You think there is no critical thinking in science, in engineering, in military, in language, in communication, etc?

Because all of those had to be built from the ground up, and something as simple as creating a fire had absolutely no framework of knowledge to start with.

So if you're saying invention and the exploration of knowledge does not qualify as critical thinking, you're essentially saying that religion is the only subject that has any critical thinking in past, present or future.
Average means I'm better than half of you.
ControlMonkey
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Australia3109 Posts
March 03 2013 05:15 GMT
#2737
I don't know about poetry, but I am pretty good at Corinthians. It's about spiritual gifts (fancy christian talk for what people are good at), and how the point is to use them to care for others, not self aggrandisement.

This is the part incorrectly preached at weddings
Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
oneofthem
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Cayman Islands24199 Posts
March 03 2013 05:16 GMT
#2738
would be silly to expect a useful and general description to be complete and exhaustive.
We have fed the heart on fantasies, the heart's grown brutal from the fare, more substance in our enmities than in our love
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-03 05:20:25
March 03 2013 05:18 GMT
#2739
On March 03 2013 14:14 WolfintheSheep wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2013 14:04 sam!zdat wrote:
On March 03 2013 13:49 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On March 03 2013 13:32 sam!zdat wrote:
On March 03 2013 13:31 WolfintheSheep wrote:
I'm almost certain that attaching a rock on a stick came long before religion.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amUowhHVBM4

So...you don't think that inventing tools to solve problems is critical thinking?


no

So let's be clear here: You think there is no critical thinking in science, in engineering, in military, in language, in communication, etc?


instrumental rationality is not critical thought, it's instrumental rationality.


Because all of those had to be built from the ground up, and something as simple as creating a fire had absolutely no framework of knowledge to start with.


Sure it did. You watch shit burn. This is totally beside the point though (see above). "Critical thought" is not just code for "being smart," it's a specific thing.


So if you're saying invention and the exploration of knowledge does not qualify as critical thinking, you're essentially saying that religion is the only subject that has any critical thinking in past, present or future.


Critical thinking is one kind of way in which you can undertake the "invention and exploration of knowledge."

On March 03 2013 14:15 ControlMonkey wrote:
I don't know about poetry, but I am pretty good at Corinthians. It's about spiritual gifts


your exegesis is unconvincing, but this is maybe not the place
shikata ga nai
WolfintheSheep
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada14127 Posts
March 03 2013 05:24 GMT
#2740
On March 03 2013 14:18 sam!zdat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2013 14:14 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On March 03 2013 14:04 sam!zdat wrote:
On March 03 2013 13:49 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On March 03 2013 13:32 sam!zdat wrote:
On March 03 2013 13:31 WolfintheSheep wrote:
I'm almost certain that attaching a rock on a stick came long before religion.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amUowhHVBM4

So...you don't think that inventing tools to solve problems is critical thinking?


no

So let's be clear here: You think there is no critical thinking in science, in engineering, in military, in language, in communication, etc?


instrumental rationality is not critical thought, it's instrumental rationality.

Show nested quote +

Because all of those had to be built from the ground up, and something as simple as creating a fire had absolutely no framework of knowledge to start with.


Sure it did. You watch shit burn. This is totally beside the point though (see above). "Critical thought" is not just code for "being smart," it's a specific thing.

Show nested quote +

So if you're saying invention and the exploration of knowledge does not qualify as critical thinking, you're essentially saying that religion is the only subject that has any critical thinking in past, present or future.


Critical thinking is one kind of way in which you can undertake the "invention and exploration of knowledge."


So once again, from the beginning of man to the birth of the first religion, you believe that not one single individual bothered to question why anything happened around him?
Average means I'm better than half of you.
Prev 1 135 136 137 138 139 10093 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
IntoTheiNu 1092
WardiTV461
LiquipediaDiscussion
Afreeca Starleague
19:00
Ro4 Match 2
Soma vs Soulkey
Afreeca ASL 15269
StarCastTV_EN424
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko412
ProTech155
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 20460
Bisu 5667
Jaedong 4906
EffOrt 1441
BeSt 859
ZerO 641
Horang2 457
Pusan 359
actioN 324
Zeus 266
[ Show more ]
Larva 183
Hyun 148
Mind 143
Yoon 132
Barracks 125
ggaemo 97
Killer 57
scan(afreeca) 45
Sharp 43
ToSsGirL 41
Sea.KH 36
Snow 35
Bale 34
Shinee 34
NotJumperer 29
Hm[arnc] 20
Sacsri 18
Terrorterran 17
zelot 11
ajuk12(nOOB) 10
Noble 9
Dota 2
Dendi1035
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1421
byalli728
markeloff87
Other Games
crisheroes295
Pyrionflax186
DeMusliM172
B2W.Neo160
dupreeh109
Mew2King64
Livibee48
QueenE40
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 239
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream43
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV660
League of Legends
• Jankos1211
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
12h 2m
Patches Events
1d 4h
The PondCast
1d 22h
INu's Battles
1d 23h
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.