• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:42
CEST 23:42
KST 06:42
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2317
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BSL Season 23 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8049 users

'Good Manners' is Narcissistic - Page 2

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
FrayzZeUsher
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States225 Posts
April 03 2012 06:22 GMT
#21
On April 03 2012 15:19 Nothingtosay wrote:
People like you who claim to understand psychology are part of the reason that the field is swamped by wannabes and pseudoscience. I forgot who said it but the quote was something like "people who have never given a thought about nuclear physics are all too happy to offer their own psychological theories". You can't just say well this makes sense in my head its true! Research shows that what we expect and what is true are often different even in the "soft science" fields.


The mind creates a standard, since we are biologically designed to find patterns, we establish a sense of regularity- what is common, what is not about everything we perceive. It's impossible to be happy more than 50% of the time, since your standard for 'good' is constantly being adapted.

The fact that you target me also shows you have no interest in discussing the focus of my argument.
darkscream
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Canada2310 Posts
April 03 2012 06:23 GMT
#22
SC2 community run by manner nannies. Not much you can do about it TBH, other than just not say GG. It's like a refusing a high five, from a weirdo who wants to high five you every goddamn time you see him, no matter how uncomfortable the situation might be. Then that guy thinking you have bad mannered for refusing his disgusting, sweaty-handed high five for the umpteenth time that day.

That is not what manners are about folks. Forcing your social convention/guilt on people is pretty lame.
BearStorm
Profile Joined September 2010
United States795 Posts
April 03 2012 06:23 GMT
#23
Saying GG and GLHF was a social norm from SCBW (especially ladder players, not the Bnet players). The issue is that there was a large influx of new players who don't understand the norms when SC2 was released. The new population of players is large compared to the old population, Neither side is wrong, it's just a culture clash between new and old. However I believe saying GLHF is far superior than not saying it at all. Why should a game strip away part of its identity that has been around for over a decade just because some youngsters don't understand it? I can understand removing tedious practices that don't make sense, but GLHF and GG make Starcraft look more civilized compared to the multiplayer of a lot of other games.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
Mrvoodoochild1
Profile Joined June 2011
United States1439 Posts
April 03 2012 06:24 GMT
#24
Greeting are a social convention that must always illicit a response. If you fail to respond to a greeting it is considered rude, simple as that. If I meet someone and they extend their hand to me and I do not shake their hand I am being rude. It seems ridiculous to claim that I am just being neutral towards them. This same concept applies to the glhf and gg in SC2. If you do not respond to a glhf and or not gg, you are being rude. Although the ladder case is not as bad you are being rude nonetheless.
"let your freak flag fly"
phyren
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States1067 Posts
April 03 2012 06:24 GMT
#25
Seriously dude, haven't there been plenty of threads with this exact argument? The point isn't to heap praise on someone. It's just a convention where you offer recognition that your opponent has bested you. Why do you shake hands after any irl game? It's just good manners.
ghrur
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States3786 Posts
April 03 2012 06:24 GMT
#26
It's the same as shaking hands after a sports game, unless that's now narcissistic too. Also, psychology might be the wrong social science to apply here. Go read some Sociology and some structural-functional analysis might be more enlightening.
darkness overpowering
Ewic
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada121 Posts
April 03 2012 06:25 GMT
#27
"It's like this situation for example. You say 'hello' to someone online for instance, and after 3 mins you get no response from them. An illogical assumption would be that this person is rude or hates the person saying hello."

How is that illogical? If someone says "hello" to you, you say "hello" back. Not saying anything DOES make you a rude person.

Also, your post is extremely condescending. Might want to restructure your arguments.

I hope you're just trolling.
GrandMaster Terran
00Visor
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
4337 Posts
April 03 2012 06:26 GMT
#28
Your whole psychological analysis is flawed by the fact that you only take your interpretation of "good game".
I'm not even saying that GG defenitely has established as a handshake. But a lot of people think so and that should be respected.
odeSSa
Profile Joined November 2009
Sweden198 Posts
April 03 2012 06:26 GMT
#29
OP is totally missing the point of these habits. You don´t say GG necessarily because it was a good game, it belongs to convention and etiquette. It it simply good manners. There is no 'point' in handshaking either left of it, but it is rude to refuse someone a handshake when they approach you and want to shake your hand. Maybe the OP doesn't agree with that but I´m the the rest of the world does.
TheChostoProject
Profile Joined May 2010
Mexico96 Posts
April 03 2012 06:26 GMT
#30
I agree with you 100%. Thats why whenever my opponent says "GL HF" or "GG", i respond with a simple "go fuck yourself fucking piece of wet shit".

I dont want them to get the wrong idea, I AM rude.
www.soundclick.com/thechostoproject
TheSneak
Profile Joined March 2012
Australia118 Posts
April 03 2012 06:27 GMT
#31
I think you're taking the whole thing a bit literally? I always say gg, even when beaten by a god damn cheesing d-banger, but it doesnt mean good-game, its just a formal acknowledgement of the game.

It can mean lots of things.

Like in any sport, you shake hands before the game (gglghf) and also generally after the game too (gg). Even if you get hurt, or lose badly, during the game, the formality at the end is ultimately a mark of civility. The game is over, and it was just a game, now we can relate normally again.

In my country (Australia) it is all pretty important actually, because in-game (whether its football, basketball or SC2) you are always expected to be fierce and do your best, but afterwards you need to go back to being a good bloke.

Also,
I would also say this if I were an asshole

Thankyou Bibbit!
"We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about." -A. Einstein
InfusedTT.DaZe
Profile Joined August 2010
Romania693 Posts
April 03 2012 06:27 GMT
#32
this is rather dumb, now all bm kiddies will come and support this thread rofl...
"Echoes of past events nudge the tiller on my present course, I await its reflection in the future"
Ahzz
Profile Joined May 2007
Finland780 Posts
April 03 2012 06:27 GMT
#33
I never BM, talk shit or call other people on ladder newbs, but I'll be damned if I say 'gg' after being all-in rushed by someone whose mechanics aren't even very good, but he happened to get off lucky.
Why would I say GG? Clearly, it is not a 'good game'. The other person probably knows it himself too. So I just leave. Of course, if I'm playing practise matches with a friend and a series of games, that is a whole another matter. Obviously if the player succesfully all-ins in a practise game, it was something where he and I learned a lesson, and it's not like he relies on it. He probably wont all-in the next game. In matches if I get all-in'd, it means I was outsmarted. He outthinked me by putting up a build which I had no clue would come. Of course it's gg then.
To be fair, of course there is the miniscule chance that the random person I play a single game against on ladder is just trying to learn a new build and doesn't rely on this build to get occasional wins in his league, in which case saying GG is polite and the correct thing to do, but I have no idea of knowing if this magical person that is clearly only 1/10 of all all-in players is like that, so while I don't, I wont GG all-inners on ladder.
sm0b
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States157 Posts
April 03 2012 06:28 GMT
#34
I honestly don't care who I'm playing, how good or bad they are/were, or what game it is... I always say good game. It's a matter of sportsmanship to me. It's not about praise, it's about respecting your competitor, the game, and yourself. GG is not a sign of submission.

However, we're on the internet where anyone can say anything they want to each other with no risk of ruining their reputation and it's been going on long enough that it doesn't bother me anymore. If you want to be a bad sport and QQ or rage be my guest, I honestly don't care anymore. I'll still say good game like all the other players with some decency.
ElvisWayCool
Profile Joined March 2010
United States437 Posts
April 03 2012 06:28 GMT
#35
On April 03 2012 15:08 FrayzZeUsher wrote:
Whenever I question people on how unnecessary it is to pretend a game was good I get met with insults and anger. Not only is it untruthful but it is mathmatically impossible for every game to be 'good'. Since positivity is relative to a standard, in theory no more than 50% of games can be considered good regardless of how much you enjoy the average game, it is a relative statement and can not apply 100%. So atleast half the time someone is liying if they say 'gg' every game.


Goodness is based off opinion. If I watch a game and it pleased me visually and intellectually (tons of battles and mind games), I would call it good. If every game I watch amazes me by the players' macro and micro, I would call every game I watch good.

You're confusing good, and deontic leveling, with better than the mean, or average. Here's another way you can look at it:

100% of M&M's in a given bag of M&M's can be good, while only 50% of them can be better than the average one.

Saying "gl hf" and "gg" isn't to please the other person or ourselves, it's to begin and end the game courteously. It's the same as shaking hands at the end of an american football game and saying "good game" as you walk by the other team, you don't do it so the other team feels good, you do it to show sportsmanship and respect for the game and its players.
StarGalaxy
Profile Joined March 2011
Germany744 Posts
April 03 2012 06:28 GMT
#36
On April 03 2012 15:08 FrayzZeUsher wrote:
Not only is it untruthful but it is mathmatically impossible for every game to be 'good'. Since positivity is relative to a standard, in theory no more than 50% of games can be considered good regardless of how much you enjoy the average game, it is a relative statement and can not apply 100%. So atleast half the time someone is liying if they say 'gg' every game.


"mathmatically impossible" Seems like you have no clue what mathematic is and what the word stands for.
Seems like your understanding of psychology isn't much better.
" in theory no more than 50% of games can be considered good" These are very wild assumptions and there is no way you can back them up.
Cj hero | Zest
Tobberoth
Profile Joined August 2010
Sweden6375 Posts
April 03 2012 06:28 GMT
#37
We had a huge topic about this very idea not too long ago. While me and many others tried to make the case that the absense of gg hardly should be taken as an offense as many people simply don't write it unless they considered it a good game, it's just impossible with this community. People have already decided that if your opponent leaves without writing "gg", they did a rage quit and are probably QQing on a forum.
babylon
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
8765 Posts
April 03 2012 06:29 GMT
#38
I don't care if ppl don't gg to me, but I always do because .... honestly? Wtf. It takes less than one second and less than one calorie to gg f10+n.
FrayzZeUsher
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States225 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-03 06:29:54
April 03 2012 06:29 GMT
#39
On April 03 2012 15:25 Ewic wrote:
"It's like this situation for example. You say 'hello' to someone online for instance, and after 3 mins you get no response from them. An illogical assumption would be that this person is rude or hates the person saying hello."

How is that illogical? If someone says "hello" to you, you say "hello" back. Not saying anything DOES make you a rude person.

Also, your post is extremely condescending. Might want to restructure your arguments.

I hope you're just trolling.


You are in a rush, late to get to work and have no time for idle chit chat, and zoom right past the person saying hello. It's unreasonable to say this is a bad person, it just means he wasn't nice. Opinions are not binary, you can be neutral- not black and white dude.
tymt
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden293 Posts
April 03 2012 06:29 GMT
#40
I love the picture.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 18m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 261
Nina 114
SteadfastSC 101
StarCraft: Brood War
910 60
Bale 14
Super Smash Bros
PPMD39
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu879
Other Games
summit1g7339
Grubby2312
shahzam577
C9.Mang0126
Liquid`Ken2
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream37
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 65
• Hupsaiya 58
• Hinosc 25
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21234
Other Games
• imaqtpie866
• Shiphtur299
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
1h 18m
Afreeca Starleague
12h 18m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
13h 18m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 2h
Patches Events
1d 18h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
OSC
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.