• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:42
CEST 23:42
KST 06:42
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2317
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BSL Season 23 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8049 users

'Good Manners' is Narcissistic - Page 4

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Xcobidoo
Profile Joined June 2011
Sweden1871 Posts
April 03 2012 06:42 GMT
#61
It's common practice in most sports that you thank your opponent for a good game after it's done. You might not agree but it's the way it is.
Refusing to GG/refusing to thank your opponent(s) for a good game is a much bigger statement than just doing it.
"Basic understanding of psychology", get the f out...
Supreme Intergalactic Commander
Hairy
Profile Joined February 2011
United Kingdom1169 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-03 06:43:13
April 03 2012 06:42 GMT
#62
Starcraft must be a very lonely place for you.

This is not wanting "appraisal for our skills" and being "narcissistic"; it's just simply being friendly, and it's social custom now. Over many years of gaming it's become essentially a handshake. If a player is mute at the start of the game, and leaves silently at the end of a game without a GG, I would consider them to be a bit of a dick, yes. 'Handshaking' is completely standard in sports, and being civil to your opponents is part of being a good sportsman.

At the start of every game I say "have fun! :D". I genuinely mean it. I chat with my opponents after some games, and I now have many people on my friends list that I chat to and practice buddy with. Your argument is essentially "why should I be nice to my opponents?". My argument would be "why NOT be nice to your opponents?".
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits
j3i
Profile Joined February 2011
United States357 Posts
April 03 2012 06:44 GMT
#63
men gg
boys dont
I am an idiot who knows only about gaming, so there is nothing private to talk about to begin with. - Bisu
Alacast
Profile Joined December 2011
United States205 Posts
April 03 2012 06:45 GMT
#64
'Basic Understanding of Psychology'

Come back when you understand anything about real psychology. Protip: normative social influence.
Let us not rail about justice as long as we have arms and the freedom to use them. -Frank Herbert
Leopoldshark
Profile Joined September 2010
United States176 Posts
April 03 2012 06:45 GMT
#65
You are looking too much into the literal meaning of "GG". Most if not all people will see GG and see its second meaning, which is an acknowledgement of the other person. The literal meaning may not be important anymore, but the second meaning is. So not saying it will mean you are not acknowledging the other person, which would be considered rude.

I'm not a fan of social conventions, I look at their literal meaning and find that they seem too endearing for my purpose. For example, I don't like using "Dear" to start off a message because it feels too affectionate and not professional. But in reality, it is just a general term people use that has an understood meaning but not a literal one, and not doing it is harmful if you want to have any decent social interaction.
Mioraka
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada1353 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-03 06:49:32
April 03 2012 06:45 GMT
#66
I don't say GG because I think it's a good game, or because I want to be nice to other players. I mean, there are some douchebags that deserves to be bad mouthed, but even to them I still says gg.

I say it because it reminds me to be calm and collected; it reminds me the fact that losing the game is always my fault. Also, if the other player is purposely trying to make you rage, swear at them and rage quit only makes them happy. I know, because I feel great when I make people rage quit. I say gg because I would not grant them that pleasure of being an asshole.
karpo
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden1998 Posts
April 03 2012 06:46 GMT
#67
What's with these posts from guys who try to write what looks like an article but is complete thrash?

Social codes and being respectful is something anyone with a decently serious job learns. Not being polite to someone can still be viewed as something bad. Just because you don't call someone a asshole doesn't mean they won't think badly of you.

GG-ing is something that's been around since BW and it's about respect. I get that people on ladder don't give a shit, i don't either, but in tournaments you expect pros to behave professional. Just like in any sport.

-Switch-
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada506 Posts
April 03 2012 06:48 GMT
#68
On April 03 2012 15:17 MLG_Wiggin wrote:
I remember my first Psych 101 class :D


LOL so true
slappy
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States1271 Posts
April 03 2012 06:48 GMT
#69
psychology... *sigh*
go live in Korea or anywhere in APAC and learn about their culture, then revisit your OP. "Westerners" and Asians differ much in the regard of the value of self vs your part of community/family/etc and thus their reasoning for doing the same things as us (such as saying GG) can be completely different. I'm assuming you were applying the OP worldwide
jaedong imba
Kira__
Profile Joined April 2011
Sweden2672 Posts
April 03 2012 06:49 GMT
#70
You play a match of tennis and refuse to shake the hands of your opponent after the game. This isn't rude because you're not doing anything. It's neutral.

You get a gift from your mother. You don't say thanks. Since you said nothing, it's neutral. You're not being rude.
The truth is, Yagami-kun, I suspect that you may in fact be Kira.
NeonFox
Profile Joined January 2011
2373 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-03 06:51:48
April 03 2012 06:49 GMT
#71
I don't see "gg" as an appraisal for skill, more as a thing you say at the end of a match, If I do think it was a good game by my opponent I'll say "wp", "gg" is more a sort of polite way to say goodbye in this case.
And yes not responding when someone greets you with a "gl hf" is more like not responding when someone says hi than just not caring.

Edit : And citing "basic understanding of psychology" at the end is Narcissistic, discuss.
Ketch
Profile Joined October 2010
Netherlands7285 Posts
April 03 2012 06:49 GMT
#72
gg -> end of game

wp gg -> good game

We already have this convention
JackDT
Profile Joined January 2012
724 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-03 06:55:00
April 03 2012 06:50 GMT
#73
Whenever I question people on how unnecessary it is to pretend a game was good I get met with insults and anger. Not only is it untruthful but it is mathmatically impossible for every game to be 'good'. Since positivity is relative to a standard, in theory no more than 50% of games can be considered good regardless of how much you enjoy the average game, it is a relative statement and can not apply 100%. So atleast half the time someone is liying if they say 'gg' every game.


Are you a robot? If someone says "Good Morning" to you, do you say "Average Morning" in response, because not every day can be good?

gg is not a declarative sentence, it's an action. Technically it would be an Illocutionary speach act, I think, but I only took one semester of linguistics.

If you grew up playing sports, 'good game' is the american convention. Usually accompanied by a handshak. It doesn't matter if you won 10 goals to 1 because you aren't actually "appraising their skill" when you say this.
Daimai
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Sweden762 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-03 06:53:00
April 03 2012 06:51 GMT
#74
I gg sometimes, sometimes I dont. But to me gg is a sign of submission, that you are bad and that you lost.

Also about the argument that "gg" has gotten a new meaning, yeah you can go around and assign random meanings to words. Like "car" suddenly means "potato" or something..

good game is simply good game. this is why we have words guys. if you want to acknowledge another players existence like you all seem so eager to do, i suggest getting a new acronym more in line with what it means.
To pray is to accept defeat.
sm0b
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States157 Posts
April 03 2012 06:51 GMT
#75
On April 03 2012 15:37 joeyBanana wrote:
When you're watching Code S everyone says gg, 'cause its a rule there. When you're watching MLG, everyone says gg, 'cause they adhere to the "social code" of StarCraft. But the big difference is, that these are guys who are at an equal-ish level of skill, where they know, that they almost always have a worthy opponent (at least in the upper brackets). But do I, Johnny-Diamond-Whatsoever-League "gg" my 7pooling opponent, who's doing that 50 games the whole day, while im trying my best ? -> Nope ! Not rage, but i just have no respect for someone 7pooling on the ladder.

What i want to say: There is no ultimate rule or reason behind the Mannerism in StarCraft. On a high level, its obligatory to be good mannered, because your opponent deserves the respect. But i will not handshake and "gg" my buddy, who is ten times worse than me @ soccer, because of his lucky penalty shot.


What's wrong with 7 pooling on the ladder? It's part of the game. What game are you playing?
Charon1979
Profile Joined October 2010
Austria317 Posts
April 03 2012 06:51 GMT
#76
"pleasdontseemepleasdontseemepleasdontseemepleasdontseeme... SHIT"
"oh hello so nice to see you darling!"

I love "social norms"

and

there is a reason why even in sports the handshake is not requested in the same moment you lose but after everyone has calmed down again.
DystopiaX
Profile Joined October 2010
United States16236 Posts
April 03 2012 06:52 GMT
#77
Disagree. At this point it's more common courtesy than actually expecting the other guy to complement you on a well-played game. If there wasn't this social convention within this subcommunity it may be, but at this point it's just what you do.
Chained
Profile Joined February 2010
United States137 Posts
April 03 2012 06:52 GMT
#78
Just use Hello and Bye, instead, YAY.

sluggaslamoo
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
Australia4494 Posts
April 03 2012 06:53 GMT
#79
On April 03 2012 15:13 FrayzZeUsher wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 03 2012 15:09 opterown wrote:
It's accepted social convention, so it's a bit rude if you refuse it. Sort of like refusing a handshake or high 5


handshakes are not made every 10 minutes.


You are right, they are done before the start of every match.
Come play Android Netrunner - http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=409008
omgimonfire15
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States233 Posts
April 03 2012 06:53 GMT
#80
On April 03 2012 15:51 Daimai wrote:
I gg sometimes, sometimes I dont. But to me gg is a sign of submission, that you are bad and that you lost.

Also the fact that "gg" has gotten a new meaning, yeah you can go around and assign random meanings to words. Like "car" suddenly means "potato" or something..

good game is simply good game. this is why we have words guys. if you want to acknowledge a payers existence like you all seem so eager to do, i suggest getting a new acronym more in line with what it means.


I guess we should stop shaking hands too then because the act itself it utterly meaningless. We should just nod to each other, that acknowledges each others existence.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 18m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 261
Nina 114
SteadfastSC 101
StarCraft: Brood War
910 60
Bale 14
Super Smash Bros
PPMD39
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu879
Other Games
summit1g7339
Grubby2312
shahzam577
C9.Mang0126
Liquid`Ken2
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream37
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 65
• Hupsaiya 58
• Hinosc 25
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21234
Other Games
• imaqtpie866
• Shiphtur299
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
1h 18m
Afreeca Starleague
12h 18m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
13h 18m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 2h
Patches Events
1d 18h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
OSC
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.