• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:49
CEST 03:49
KST 10:49
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9494 users

Are you a deist? - Page 2

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 11 12 13 Next All
Vore210
Profile Joined January 2011
Ireland256 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-14 07:39:43
July 14 2011 07:38 GMT
#21
On July 14 2011 16:14 ryanAnger wrote:
For a long time I walked the tight rope between Atheist and Agnostic, and I've never been a fan of organized religion of any kind (but that's not what this is about.) I've always done my research on religions and all that kind of stuff, because I'm not the kind of person who likes to be against something I know nothing about. Despite this, I had never heard of "deism" until a couple months ago, and I just attributed my beliefs to Agnosticism.

Basically, what I actually believe is this:

+ Show Spoiler +
I believe that everything that is in the Universe, and all of the pieces that tie it together to make it what it is (physics, evolution, etc.), was created by something greater than the Universe, some higher power or being or something.

My reason for this, is that even though we have valid, evidenced theories about HOW the Universe was born, we don't know WHERE it came from. It seems like that is a question that very few scientists are even trying to answer.

Assuming a linear understanding of "time" as opposed to a circular one, you are always forced to question what was before whatever is commonly accepted as "the beginning." This is a question I don't think we'll ever truly know the answer to, and that is where I've decided to fill in the gaps with my own beliefs.

I believe that whoever or whatever was responsible for the creation of our Universe did JUST that, and then left it alone. No divine intervention, no divine miracles. That is not to say I'm entirely opposed to the supernatural (things such as ghosts) but I think if such things were real, there would be a valid scientific explanation for it, maybe something that we just haven't quite figured out yet.


The above beliefs make me a deist, and I didn't know it. I was just curious if there were other people here who had similar beliefs.

Here is the wiki article for Deism if you want to learn more about it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deism


When you sa you've decided to fill in the gaps with your own beliefs, I just want to make the point that that is not new. Things unknown have often been attiributed to gods, until we pushed back the boundaries. Weather, earthquakes, diseases, the beginning of everything, etc. This is called "the god of the gaps".

It's easy to believe stuff because we don't have all the answers but want to act as if we do. Unfortunately we humans often prefer any answer (and I mean ANY answer) to no answer at all. What I say to people in such situations is that "I don't know" is a reasonable response. It is also the only true one.

My question to you is, do you not feel somewhat intellectually dishonest in openly choosing whatever belief appeals to you the most? I tend to examine and re-examine any thoughts i'd have on people, philosophy or religion repeatedly until the most rational answer is left to me. I would feel dishonest to my own mind to believe something like you have, because I would be being mentally lazy. So what are your thoughts on that?
Light a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett
Thent
Profile Joined December 2010
United States35 Posts
July 14 2011 07:39 GMT
#22
On July 14 2011 16:14 ryanAnger wrote: This is a question I don't think we'll ever truly know the answer to, and that is where I've decided to fill in the gaps with my own beliefs.

It seems like you don't want to take 'this is an unanswerable question' for an answer, so you just grab a thought with no basis and cling on to that for one. As with traditional religion, I don't see any reason to think that this is the case.
DarthXX
Profile Joined September 2010
Australia998 Posts
July 14 2011 07:41 GMT
#23
Personally I'm a day9ist, there is only 1 god I follow and unlike other religions, his existence has been proven.
Flameberger
Profile Joined March 2010
United States227 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-14 07:45:55
July 14 2011 07:42 GMT
#24
On July 14 2011 16:37 ixi.genocide wrote:
You could only consider evolution "god" if you think that god is a concept. If you think that god is a being than it is impossible for evolution to be a god.


I think he meant that God could be the cause or even controlling factor of evolution, not that evolution itself was divine.


On July 14 2011 16:39 AgMaxHammer wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 14 2011 16:14 ryanAnger wrote: This is a question I don't think we'll ever truly know the answer to, and that is where I've decided to fill in the gaps with my own beliefs.

It seems like you don't want to take 'this is an unanswerable question' for an answer, so you just grab a thought with no basis and cling on to that for one. As with traditional religion, I don't see any reason to think that this is the case.


I don't see why this has to be viewed negatively. Chances are there will always be gaps in human understanding of the universe. There is no harm in substituting your own personal ideas to fill those gaps. The only "trouble" comes when people refuse to let go of their ideas if scientific evidence shows up that contradicts it. Even then it's only a problem if such a person hinders science / society over their beliefs.
sleepingdog
Profile Joined August 2008
Austria6145 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-14 12:15:28
July 14 2011 07:44 GMT
#25
On July 14 2011 16:32 snotboogie wrote:
When it comes down to it, the existence of life, consciousness and intelligence on an inhabitable planet is way too coincidental to be random. Yes, I believe in God.


This is one argument, that has never convinced me (don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to convert you to atheism/etc. just stating my point).

There is a GIGANTIC, huge, mass of solar systems, planets, etc. out there, I think mankind is still unable to grasp how huge the universe indeed is (me neither, of course) - this exceeds our imagination.
Now if we think of this as a given, then how "big" is the probability that on ONE planet, by chance, something like us emerges. Even if there are "only" as many planets as words having been written on the internet...ever...then the probability of intelligent life evolving on at least one of them is actually quite huge.
"You see....YOU SEE..." © 2010 Sen
waffleduck
Profile Joined August 2010
125 Posts
July 14 2011 07:44 GMT
#26
Do you guys ever think about infinity and how there are infinite numbers of worlds exactly like ours?
Tingles
Profile Joined January 2011
Australia225 Posts
July 14 2011 07:45 GMT
#27
Diests and agnosics the epitome of the Siwss.
Foot in the water just in case.
Alabasern
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4005 Posts
July 14 2011 07:45 GMT
#28
On July 14 2011 16:30 Timestreamer wrote:
I'd use the words of a man much smarter then myself to make my claim for me:
- Richard Phillips Feynman


Thanks Timestreamer for redirecting me to Feyman! His fire monologue made him a simple voice of authority in my life some indeterminate time ago.

His words are helpful.

Support your esport!
Qiw
Profile Joined March 2011
Sweden57 Posts
July 14 2011 07:49 GMT
#29
@ Acker

Unfortunatley i'm not very well read concerning astrophysics, quantum physics or any of the really interesting forms of science. However i've been frequently thinking about time and what time really is. I don't understand why a lot of people try to define time as something that "was created" at in a specific way when as i percive it time is only a measurement that actaully works on earth and is only a measurement we created to satisfy our need to be able to percieve things in relation to ourselves.
Talin
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Montenegro10532 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-14 07:53:51
July 14 2011 07:51 GMT
#30
On July 14 2011 16:14 ryanAnger wrote:
My reason for this, is that even though we have valid, evidenced theories about HOW the Universe was born, we don't know WHERE it came from.


Exactly. We don't know. So why substitute the clean and reasonable state of not knowing with belief in something that's completely made up and has no objective basis? The only solution to not knowing something is exploring and learning it.

As opposed as I am to religions, most of them make more sense to me than the concept of "Deism" - in the sense that it is understandable why people choose to follow those beliefs. Fear of death, hopes for afterlife, unhappiness with life and all the related stuff - we can all kind of understand the emotional reasoning behind that. There is actual motivation to follow a "standard" brand of religion - people believe they will benefit from worship, and everyone always wants to believe something good will happen to them.

Deism on the other hand is just absurd - you propose a belief in the creator of the universe, and then just "leave it alone"? What's the point? It's still a completely made up story anyway, and if you don't really feel any sort of emotional attachment to it, you don't expect anything from it and you believe that you can never truly learn its nature and it cannot (or will not) affect you - why not just stop believing in the made up story?

What I like about Deism is that it kinda illustrates the religion in its "final form" - the "bare bones" religion that remains once layers and layers of religious beliefs and superstitions have been peeled off and archived as mythology. It's the most glaring example of why beliefs in "higher" powers are pointless and absurd.
Kickboxer
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Slovenia1308 Posts
July 14 2011 07:59 GMT
#31
I believe in the divine nature of the multiverse and everything in it and that we are all part of one divine eternal conscience experiencing itself through our individual lives and sensations.

I also believe "God" is a construct of evil, manipulative men who themselves do not believe in one but are in essence just corporate executives.
Redox
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany24794 Posts
July 14 2011 08:01 GMT
#32
On July 14 2011 16:51 Talin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 14 2011 16:14 ryanAnger wrote:
My reason for this, is that even though we have valid, evidenced theories about HOW the Universe was born, we don't know WHERE it came from.


Exactly. We don't know. So why substitute the clean and reasonable state of not knowing with belief in something that's completely made up and has no objective basis? The only solution to not knowing something is exploring and learning it.

As opposed as I am to religions, most of them make more sense to me than the concept of "Deism" - in the sense that it is understandable why people choose to follow those beliefs. Fear of death, hopes for afterlife, unhappiness with life and all the related stuff - we can all kind of understand the emotional reasoning behind that. There is actual motivation to follow a "standard" brand of religion - people believe they will benefit from worship, and everyone always wants to believe something good will happen to them.

Deism on the other hand is just absurd - you propose a belief in the creator of the universe, and then just "leave it alone"? What's the point? It's still a completely made up story anyway, and if you don't really feel any sort of emotional attachment to it, you don't expect anything from it and you believe that you can never truly learn its nature and it cannot (or will not) affect you - why not just stop believing in the made up story?

What I like about Deism is that it kinda illustrates the religion in its "final form" - the "bare bones" religion that remains once layers and layers of religious beliefs and superstitions have been peeled off and archived as mythology. It's the most glaring example of why beliefs in "higher" powers are pointless and absurd.

Best post of this thread. <3

Usually I am not bothered to write that much about this topic, but thats exactly what I am thinking.
Especially like the last paragraph.
Off-season = best season
aebriol
Profile Joined April 2010
Norway2066 Posts
July 14 2011 08:01 GMT
#33
To me it's rather simple:

'I don't know, but I see no evidence supporting any specific theory which leads me to believe that theory is correct' is a statement that sums it up for me.

I don't know how everything came to be like it is. I don't know what if anything was before the universe, or if it even makes sense to look at it that way instead of as time being a property of the universe and not existing outside of it.

But, I don't believe that me not knowing, means I have to make up an answer and infer that there 'must be' some sort of divine being or cause or whatever.

I am an atheist.

In that I see no reason whatsoever to believe in any sort of divine beings.

Doesn't mean I can prove the non-existence of such beings. Now that I can explain how the universe came to be (I don't like to say created, it implies something existed before, and made it).

To me it just seems to be a way of saying 'I believe there must be a cause, something that made it' without any sort of explanation. It doesn't make more sense to me than 'the tide comes in, the tide comes out' argument. Things I can't explain, means I can't explain it. It doesn't mean that I have to explain it - and therefore make up some sort of divinity just to make sense of it.

'I don't know' is a perfectly valid answer. No need to take it any further.
lisward
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Singapore959 Posts
July 14 2011 08:10 GMT
#34
I don't believe in a God but I believe that life can be created, because I remember reading in some magazine that some science person created a life. Does that make me religious?
Opinions are like phasers -- everybody ought to have one
ryanAnger
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
United States838 Posts
July 14 2011 08:12 GMT
#35
On July 14 2011 16:25 prOxi.swAMi wrote:
Show nested quote +
"we don't know WHERE it came from"

In such situations it is not sensible to inject your instinctive explanation in place of the knowledge gap. The answer could be anything, we do not have it. That is where it ends. When we do, we will know. Until then, it is a bad idea to start guessing.


I don't necessarily agree with you that it's a bad idea. I'm not exactly DOING anything with my beliefs, I just think it's plausible. Keep in mind that I don't belief in some "image of man" type being responsible for everything. I just think maybe there was some sentient power or something responsible for it. But I could be wrong. And I'm not against that, either.

I'm just "filling the gap" like you said, and if/when the answer is found, I'll accept that without issue.
On my way...
StateSC2
Profile Joined September 2010
Korea (South)621 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-14 08:16:11
July 14 2011 08:15 GMT
#36
On July 14 2011 17:01 aebriol wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
To me it's rather simple:

'I don't know, but I see no evidence supporting any specific theory which leads me to believe that theory is correct' is a statement that sums it up for me.

I don't know how everything came to be like it is. I don't know what if anything was before the universe, or if it even makes sense to look at it that way instead of as time being a property of the universe and not existing outside of it.

But, I don't believe that me not knowing, means I have to make up an answer and infer that there 'must be' some sort of divine being or cause or whatever.

I am an atheist.

In that I see no reason whatsoever to believe in any sort of divine beings.

Doesn't mean I can prove the non-existence of such beings. Now that I can explain how the universe came to be (I don't like to say created, it implies something existed before, and made it).

To me it just seems to be a way of saying 'I believe there must be a cause, something that made it' without any sort of explanation. It doesn't make more sense to me than 'the tide comes in, the tide comes out' argument. Things I can't explain, means I can't explain it. It doesn't mean that I have to explain it - and therefore make up some sort of divinity just to make sense of it.

'I don't know' is a perfectly valid answer. No need to take it any further.


You're not an atheist! You're an agnostic! An atheist believes that there is no God (or equivalent); an agnostic simply doesn't know. I prefer the latter, although I truly hope there's more to our experience than just this life.
Fireblast!: "This guy is pointless and wonderful"
DisneylandSC
Profile Joined November 2010
Netherlands435 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-14 08:21:22
July 14 2011 08:17 GMT
#37
On July 14 2011 16:14 ryanAnger wrote:
Assuming a linear understanding of "time" as opposed to a circular one, you are always forced to question what was before whatever is commonly accepted as "the beginning." This is a question I don't think we'll ever truly know the answer to, and that is where I've decided to fill in the gaps with my own beliefs.

I believe that whoever or whatever was responsible for the creation of our Universe did JUST that, and then left it alone.


But then where did God come from? Who created him? :>

As to my own believe I am what you can call an anti-theist. That is I do not only think there isn't a God but I feel it would be a bad thing if there was.

See also,

Fallacy
Profile Joined September 2010
United States227 Posts
July 14 2011 08:17 GMT
#38
I'm a Deist.
Stand up for what you believe in even if it means standing alone.
aebriol
Profile Joined April 2010
Norway2066 Posts
July 14 2011 08:17 GMT
#39
On July 14 2011 17:15 State wrote:
You're not an atheist! You're an agnostic! An atheist believes that there is no God (or equivalent); an agnostic simply doesn't know. I prefer the latter, although I truly hope there's more to our experience than just this life.

I can't prove the non-existence of invisible little green men in my bathroom either.

Doesn't mean I believe they are there.

I don't believe there is any reason for believing there to be any sort of divine being, and as such, I call myself an atheist.

I am not going to say however that I 'know' there are no divine being, as that would require me being able to prove it.
Alabasern
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4005 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-14 08:28:26
July 14 2011 08:21 GMT
#40
On July 14 2011 17:17 Fallacy wrote:
I'm a Deist.


I am a deist too so I can worship Deicide.

Deities are a wonderful idea, especially as a plot device. I personally enjoyed writing about gods and heroes a bit before I devoted my work solely into science fiction.

If there is a deity we'll need to repent with...


Thanks DisneylandSC, this is poignant!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DufzgOxmzTo&feature=player_embedded
Support your esport!
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 11 12 13 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PiG Daily
08:00
Best Games of SC
BASILISK vs T1
Maru vs Clem
Serral vs herO
Clem vs SHIN
PiGStarcraft441
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta23
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft441
WinterStarcraft271
RuFF_SC2 120
PiLiPiLi 15
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1050
White-Ra 160
NaDa 62
Hyuk 60
Noble 51
Bale 14
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm173
LuMiX1
League of Legends
Doublelift4981
Counter-Strike
taco 558
minikerr16
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox637
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor734
Other Games
summit1g8145
Coldzera 874
C9.Mang0328
ViBE64
Mew2King43
ArmadaUGS39
Liquid`Ken2
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick500
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream73
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 87
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21321
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
8h 11m
Online Event
9h 11m
FEL
14h 11m
AI Arena Tournament
15h 11m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
17h 11m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 8h
INu's Battles
1d 10h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 17h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 17h
Replay Cast
1d 22h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.