• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:49
CEST 14:49
KST 21:49
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War625.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6834 users

People need to listen to real music - Page 5

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All
JohnColtrane
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Australia4813 Posts
May 18 2010 00:31 GMT
#81
i get more enjoyment from hip hop guys like fat jon, mf doom, nujabes etc. than i do from classical guys, so why should i listen to 'real music?' people can argue the artistic perspective all day, and it may have merit, but personally i just want something nice to listen to. im not going to abandon something that sounds nice to me because it's not real or artistic enough
HEY MEYT
phosphorylation
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2935 Posts
May 18 2010 00:31 GMT
#82
No, but Radiohead is pretty good.
Buy prints of my photographs at Redbubble -> http://www.redbubble.com/people/shoenberg3
phosphorylation
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2935 Posts
May 18 2010 00:33 GMT
#83
On May 18 2010 09:31 JohnColtrane wrote:
i get more enjoyment from hip hop guys like fat jon, mf doom, nujabes etc. than i do from classical guys, so why should i listen to 'real music?' people can argue the artistic perspective all day, and it may have merit, but personally i just want something nice to listen to. im not going to abandon something that sounds nice to me because it's not real or artistic enough

Completely legitimate view.
As I mentioned in my post, I sort of pity of you because I feel like you are missing out on better musical experience, but if this is what you seek in music, so be it.
Buy prints of my photographs at Redbubble -> http://www.redbubble.com/people/shoenberg3
JohnColtrane
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Australia4813 Posts
May 18 2010 00:38 GMT
#84
i think the difference for me is that i see music as an accompaniment to other things in life, whether that be gaming or exercise or just buzzing out on msn. its not really the focus, its just something that sounds nice in the background - something simple and uncomplicated, like this:

HEY MEYT
Tal
Profile Blog Joined May 2004
United Kingdom1018 Posts
May 18 2010 02:45 GMT
#85
phosphorylation - it's really comforting to see you fighting the good fight in this thread. For a while it looked like the thread was going to totally disintegrate into 'I like what I what I like and everything's utterly subjective'.

Someone said that just because Kant and Adorno said something doesn't mean it's right. Well of course it doesn't. But it's not just them...nearly every philosopher or serious thinker on art puts artists like Shakespeare, Mozart or Picasso far above your average 'pop artists' for many many compelling reasons. I'm happy to make an 'appeal to the authority' of the greatest thinkers in human history - I certainly trust them more then anyone I've met who's still alive. And actually, all the smartest people I've met agree with the philosophers...

People describe elitists as very proud people, but I think it's the opposite. I'm rejecting my own pride, and admitting my teenage self was unsurprisingly, very wrong about what the important things in life are. Sticking to my ill-thought out principles would have been stupid.
It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it.
dani_caliKorea
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
730 Posts
May 18 2010 03:08 GMT
#86
On May 18 2010 09:33 phosphorylation wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 18 2010 09:31 JohnColtrane wrote:
i get more enjoyment from hip hop guys like fat jon, mf doom, nujabes etc. than i do from classical guys, so why should i listen to 'real music?' people can argue the artistic perspective all day, and it may have merit, but personally i just want something nice to listen to. im not going to abandon something that sounds nice to me because it's not real or artistic enough

Completely legitimate view.
As I mentioned in my post, I sort of pity of you because I feel like you are missing out on better musical experience, but if this is what you seek in music, so be it.


what a dick post

you pity a person for enjoying music?
phosphorylation
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2935 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-18 03:11:21
May 18 2010 03:11 GMT
#87
uhhhhh
you have some reading comprehension problems
or your missing the point on purpose
either way, you don't seem too clever
Buy prints of my photographs at Redbubble -> http://www.redbubble.com/people/shoenberg3
endy
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Switzerland8970 Posts
May 18 2010 03:13 GMT
#88
I like Scatman John.
ॐ
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
May 18 2010 03:17 GMT
#89
On May 18 2010 12:13 endy wrote:
I like Scatman John.


dude who doesn't
phosphorylation
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2935 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-18 03:18:08
May 18 2010 03:17 GMT
#90
scatman is indeed a classic
Buy prints of my photographs at Redbubble -> http://www.redbubble.com/people/shoenberg3
HeadhunteR
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Argentina1258 Posts
May 18 2010 03:30 GMT
#91
Yayayaya so?.. music is music.. who care what is better or worse.. stop being so elitist.. and also the 5th is pritty shitty in terms of classical music.. there are much more complex and amazing stuff out there..
in The Kong line forever
Spiffeh
Profile Joined May 2010
United States830 Posts
May 18 2010 03:35 GMT
#92
yeah rap may not be the pinnacle of poetic genius, but it gets me pumped up before playing sports which is why I enjoy it.
krndandaman
Profile Joined August 2009
Mozambique16569 Posts
May 18 2010 03:47 GMT
#93
--- Nuked ---
Caller
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Poland8075 Posts
May 18 2010 03:48 GMT
#94
this is the most successful troll in the history of mankind

all we need is someone from the anime thread commentating on the jpop portion and it will be legendary
Watch me fail at Paradox: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=397564
phosphorylation
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2935 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-18 03:49:03
May 18 2010 03:48 GMT
#95
No problem with last few posts. I just hope that you recognize there exists music that can do a lot more than "pump you up before playing sports", make you feel good etc.. and perhaps, sometime, you can spare some time to delve into it. You will be rewarded.

Calling the 5th beethoven symphony "pritty shitty." Hmm, it's still pretty damn good in my opinion although, yes, Beethoven has composed more complex and arguably superior works later in his life.
Buy prints of my photographs at Redbubble -> http://www.redbubble.com/people/shoenberg3
Lemonwalrus
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States5465 Posts
May 18 2010 03:52 GMT
#96
On May 18 2010 12:48 phosphorylation wrote:
No problem with last few posts. I just hope that you recognize there exists music that can do a lot more than "pump you up before playing sports", make you feel good etc.. and perhaps, sometime, you can spare some time to delve into it. You will be rewarded.

Calling the 5th beethoven symphony "pritty shitty." Hmm, it's still pretty damn good in my opinion although, yes, Beethoven has composed more complex and arguably superior works later in his life.

I think you are ignoring the repeated argument that just because you feel like the reasons you like the music you like are 'more' important than that of others doesn't make it so, it just makes you condescending.
JohannesH
Profile Joined September 2009
Finland1364 Posts
May 18 2010 04:00 GMT
#97
On May 18 2010 11:45 Tal wrote:
phosphorylation - it's really comforting to see you fighting the good fight in this thread. For a while it looked like the thread was going to totally disintegrate into 'I like what I what I like and everything's utterly subjective'.

Someone said that just because Kant and Adorno said something doesn't mean it's right. Well of course it doesn't. But it's not just them...nearly every philosopher or serious thinker on art puts artists like Shakespeare, Mozart or Picasso far above your average 'pop artists' for many many compelling reasons. I'm happy to make an 'appeal to the authority' of the greatest thinkers in human history - I certainly trust them more then anyone I've met who's still alive. And actually, all the smartest people I've met agree with the philosophers...

People describe elitists as very proud people, but I think it's the opposite. I'm rejecting my own pride, and admitting my teenage self was unsurprisingly, very wrong about what the important things in life are. Sticking to my ill-thought out principles would have been stupid.

So you let other people decide what artforms are worth your attention on the grounds that they're smart and know better? Thats fucking spineless

If you agree with their thoughts on what constitutes worthwhile art, well excellent, but if you're too stupid to make your own call on the matter... Then who are you to judge at all about who is a good authority on the subject

What's in it for YOU to follow these Serious Thinkers (whoever they are) on what makes art good?


Also - I'm a preetty serious thinker and I'm telling you that Rainbow is far above your average pop artists, so listen to Rainbow
If you have to ask, you don't know.
phosphorylation
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2935 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-18 04:11:20
May 18 2010 04:01 GMT
#98
But, my reasons for liking music IS arguably more "legitimate" than merely liking the music for catchiness, helping you fall asleep, how it makes you feel -- at the instinctual level (music as drug), etc
Why? Because most composers (who actually devote their lives to creating music) have this goal -- to create good pieces of art, not some musical drug -- in mind when they create their work. Listeners should respect that; and certainly, I do and so did the academics and philosophers over history.
Buy prints of my photographs at Redbubble -> http://www.redbubble.com/people/shoenberg3
Lemonwalrus
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States5465 Posts
May 18 2010 04:05 GMT
#99
You are an asshat.

I wrote out a long response at first, but the above is really the only thing that wasn't beating a dead horse.

cheers.
phosphorylation
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2935 Posts
May 18 2010 04:08 GMT
#100
On May 18 2010 13:00 JohannesH wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 18 2010 11:45 Tal wrote:
phosphorylation - it's really comforting to see you fighting the good fight in this thread. For a while it looked like the thread was going to totally disintegrate into 'I like what I what I like and everything's utterly subjective'.

Someone said that just because Kant and Adorno said something doesn't mean it's right. Well of course it doesn't. But it's not just them...nearly every philosopher or serious thinker on art puts artists like Shakespeare, Mozart or Picasso far above your average 'pop artists' for many many compelling reasons. I'm happy to make an 'appeal to the authority' of the greatest thinkers in human history - I certainly trust them more then anyone I've met who's still alive. And actually, all the smartest people I've met agree with the philosophers...

People describe elitists as very proud people, but I think it's the opposite. I'm rejecting my own pride, and admitting my teenage self was unsurprisingly, very wrong about what the important things in life are. Sticking to my ill-thought out principles would have been stupid.

So you let other people decide what artforms are worth your attention on the grounds that they're smart and know better? Thats fucking spineless

If you agree with their thoughts on what constitutes worthwhile art, well excellent, but if you're too stupid to make your own call on the matter... Then who are you to judge at all about who is a good authority on the subject

What's in it for YOU to follow these Serious Thinkers (whoever they are) on what makes art good?


Also - I'm a preetty serious thinker and I'm telling you that Rainbow is far above your average pop artists, so listen to Rainbow

You actually don't have much of an argument here. If Tal does admit that he is not smart enough to formulate a thorough philosophy/aesthetic judgment on the matter(I don't think he says this but to prove a point) and instead reads and believes the ideas of the famous thinkers, as stupid as he may seem to you, he is still much smarter than the fools who attempt to formulate their own aesthetic theory (and they will usually miss the mark completely) just for the sake of avoiding seeming "spineless."
Buy prints of my photographs at Redbubble -> http://www.redbubble.com/people/shoenberg3
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings175
SHIN 123
CranKy Ducklings SOOP49
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 565
SHIN 123
Railgan 55
MindelVK 26
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 69293
Calm 11325
Rain 2444
Bisu 1713
FanTaSy 822
Stork 570
Shuttle 520
soO 517
Rush 286
Soma 244
[ Show more ]
Snow 218
firebathero 214
Last 169
Light 95
Mind 91
Pusan 72
Sharp 64
Sea.KH 61
hero 47
ToSsGirL 44
Bale 37
Free 36
Trap 36
Mong 33
Hm[arnc] 25
Aegong 24
zelot 18
yabsab 17
HiyA 15
Sacsri 14
Sexy 13
Noble 13
Shine 12
IntoTheRainbow 11
scan(afreeca) 6
Dota 2
Gorgc8412
Dendi924
Counter-Strike
fl0m2160
byalli1023
x6flipin310
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King68
Other Games
gofns35055
singsing2240
B2W.Neo600
Pyrionflax262
Trikslyr43
Chillindude12
Hui .7
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV218
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 92
• Gemini_19 17
• Dystopia_ 6
• Response 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV523
League of Legends
• Jankos2951
• Nemesis2587
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1312
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
2h 11m
BSL Open Qualifier
6h 11m
BSL Open Qualifier
6h 11m
OSC
10h 11m
Replay Cast
10h 11m
OSC
23h 11m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 22h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.