• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:48
CEST 22:48
KST 05:48
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 547 Temple Of Terror Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion Rollback Netcode in Brood War
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12477 users

People need to listen to real music - Page 2

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 7 8 9 Next All
Finskie
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Sweden412 Posts
May 17 2010 11:33 GMT
#21
On May 17 2010 20:28 SCC-Faust wrote:
This is all opinionated.

Learn what an opinion is. No music is superior because different people enjoy different things.
Just like how you probably think receiving anal sex is absolutely inferior to giving anal sex, although some guys tend to disagree. You can't tell them they are wrong because they enjoy something different.


QFT.

It's all about taste. You can't say "X is better than Y" because in someone elses ears it will sound completely different. Going on about your musical expertise is irrelevant. I've played several instruments over the past years but it does not make me more qualified to judge what is good and what is bad.

Enough baiting the troll now.
Violet.
Divinek
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Canada4045 Posts
May 17 2010 11:34 GMT
#22
On May 17 2010 20:24 Wohmfg wrote:
This is actually the worst blog I've ever seen.

First of all, you're completely distasteful about a man who has just died and who is obviously well liked by a large amount of people here. You insult him when it is completely unnecessary. I don't care how true it is, you keep that stuff to yourself because it is a horrible thing to say. It serves no purpose.

Then you go on to complain about what is wrong with different genres of music. You can't see past your own view of what you enjoy about music. It's completely ignorant. People like music for different reasons. I listen to/watch k-pop because the girls are hot and the songs are fun. Does that mean I can't enjoy prog rock? No.

You're trying to objectively argue that some music is bad. You can't do that. You can only do that if you set up some completely arbitrary features to judge it on, and therefore your argument completely falls down.

Try and see things from other people's perspectives instead of just judging everything by your set of rules, which hold no more merit than anyone else's.



that's pretty spot on

It's also absolutely retarded to say music like this won't stand the test of time. Of course it will, there will always be people that like this kind of stuff because it's AWESOME, sure classical is nice once in a while, but heavy metal just has it's own kind of magic to it that there is no way you could get from any classical song.

I also laughed at how he called it "music" in quotes, which is pretty accurate, i think good music is anything that can make you happy, and dio makes me happier than any classical stuff so it's therefore better to me.

I'd totally sign the imaginary ban petition
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Oh goodness me, FOX tv where do you get your sight? Can't you keep track, the puck is black. That's why the ice is white.
JohannesH
Profile Joined September 2009
Finland1364 Posts
May 17 2010 12:09 GMT
#23
Haha just fuck off and die OP
Yes, this is the kind of response you were hoping for but I don't mind


You don't need music to be complex for it to be touching.
If you have to ask, you don't know.
flamewheel
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
FREEAGLELAND26782 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-17 12:15:00
May 17 2010 12:14 GMT
#24
Hey, we're not hating on classical music :S
I'll have you know that Rachi is my favourite composer.

:3

Also people there's no need to be abrasive. He's entitled to his opinion just like we are entitled to ours.
Writerdamn, i was two days from retirement
Scarecrow
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Korea (South)9175 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-17 12:21:13
May 17 2010 12:19 GMT
#25
On May 17 2010 21:14 flamewheel91 wrote:
Also people there's no need to be abrasive. He's entitled to his opinion just like we are entitled to ours.

He's shitting on everyone else's opinion based on his personal taste. Being entitled to an opinion is different from broadcasting it over a dead person. OP's contempt is reciprocated.
Yhamm is the god of predictions
Ilikestarcraft
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Korea (South)17743 Posts
May 17 2010 12:31 GMT
#26
gee gee gee gee baby baby
ils
"Nana is a goddess. Or at very least, Nana is my goddess." - KazeHydra
Garrl
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Scotland1980 Posts
May 17 2010 13:22 GMT
#27
ITT OP states that popular music is popular.
Subversive
Profile Joined October 2009
Australia2229 Posts
May 17 2010 13:29 GMT
#28
You know it's funny I didn't see who the OP was before reading the quotes from the other thread and about half the OP. And this meant I totally misread the following:

I apologize for I am about to burst precious little bubbles, but only arrogant tone-deafs could so firmly believe others to be ignorant simply because they do not appreciate certain styles of "music".


What amuses me coming back to it is that the way I initially read it is fine. It can be read both ways. Only someone as 'arrogantly tone-deaf' as the OP could believe others ignorant for not appreciating his belief in what is superior music.

Also the whole analogy between bw and sc2 is pretty bad. Gaming is akin to sports, as eSPORTS is the chosen name. Not eART. Music is often enjoyed because of the emotional response it triggers in the listener, much like any form of art. So comparing music to games is pretty bad. A better example would be to compare masterpieces of films with very popular films (sometimes these are the same of course). But really, a popular blockbuster is trying to achieve a whole different set of goals compared to an art-house movie. Comparing the two, which have such vastly different goals and just happen to be using the same medium, is as silly as comparing Beethoven's Fifth (which is awesome as art) with Kesha's Tik Tok (which is awesome because we got the starcraft parody out of it). No it's awesome because people can play it like alot of K-pop or rock or metal and feel something from it. You don't put classical music on at most parties, it's not going to work.

Anyway I think the OP is mistaking the intentions of the producers of such music, just as he is mistaking why people enjoy these types of music. He should perhaps save such 'contempt and pity' for long diatribes with his 'impressive group of friends' and save the rest of us his bile
#1 Great fan ~ // Khan // FlaSh // JangBi // EffOrt //
madnessman
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States1581 Posts
May 17 2010 13:29 GMT
#29
On May 17 2010 20:22 Vegetarian Wolf wrote:
As someone who listens to both classical music (a lot of it, with a passion) and heavy metal, I regretfully inform you that your opinion is wrong.

I kind of agreed with your point until you said Jay Chou was legit. I lol'ed. What, because he used to play classical piano and cello, it automatically makes him "better?" Terrible, terrible damage.


Agreed. The OP seems like one of those faux hoity toity guys who listen to classical music on super expensive sound systems while drinking wine.
Fumi
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
529 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-17 14:00:26
May 17 2010 13:59 GMT
#30
OP, you're an idiot. I'm pretty sure not a single person in the world cares about your taste in music and even though you're free to let us know, it doesn't give you the right of doing so in a thread about the said musician's death. I don't even care if you're an idiot and think your musical taste is superior to anyone else's, just don't be an asshole, okay?
Flash, Stats, Reach, Tossgirl <> Boxer, Nestea, MC, Foxer fangirl | http://osu.ppy.sh/u/181432
ggrrg
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
Bulgaria2717 Posts
May 17 2010 14:07 GMT
#31
On May 17 2010 20:28 SCC-Faust wrote:
This is all opinionated.

Learn what an opinion is. No music is superior because different people enjoy different things.
Just like how you probably think receiving anal sex is absolutely inferior to giving anal sex, although some guys tend to disagree. You can't tell them they are wrong because they enjoy something different.


Epic post :D


on topic:
Well, classical music is nice and Bethooven is surely great, but neglecting every other kind of music (no matter how inferior it might be) is very limiting and makes you miss on some good stuff.

The only thing I have to agree with is that rap is incredibly dumb. All those cool dudes just make me sick... The only bearable one is Eminem for the reason that he is more of a stand up comedian than a singer.
Squeegy
Profile Joined October 2009
Finland1166 Posts
May 17 2010 14:23 GMT
#32
If Mona Lisa was painted today, do you think it would be the most famous painting in a few hundred years? What about Beethoven? You and your point are dumb.

The only thing worse than a classical music elitist is a metal elitist. But Dio was a fucking baller.

Stan: Dude, dolphins are intelligent and friendly. Cartman: Intelligent and friendly on rye bread with some mayonnaise.
Caller
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Poland8075 Posts
May 17 2010 14:25 GMT
#33
my question is how you criticize "popular" music and then proceed to link us beethoven's most popular symphony
Watch me fail at Paradox: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=397564
ltiy
Profile Joined April 2010
107 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-17 14:40:58
May 17 2010 14:34 GMT
#34
On May 17 2010 19:59 SoManyDeadLings wrote:
Let's start with R.A.P. music, but since everyone already knows about the Retards Attempting Poetry, I rest my case.

I'm no hip hop connoisseur but statements like this just...

I'm betting you haven't investigated the genre at all. I put on some Public Enemy just for you, bro.

I guess my point is that the vast majority of popular music will not stand the test of time.

But this isn't news to anyone with the most rudimentary knowledge of music.
jgju
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States454 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-17 14:35:54
May 17 2010 14:34 GMT
#35
On May 17 2010 19:59 SoManyDeadLings wrote:
Let's start with R.A.P. music, but since everyone already knows about the Retards Attempting Poetry, I rest my case.


This is the exact moment when I stopped caring about your narrow minded opinion.

Regardless of the quality of music you listen to vs. the general quality of modern pop music (which I agree is poor), you greatly disrespected a man's life work on the day of his death, which is unacceptable.

Not only did you interpret your opinion as the truth, you did it in an absurdly pompous and disrespectful way.

Also, it's worth noting that if you are just trolling, you wasted a much larger portion of your life on it than anyone else in this thread.
"For you biting zealots, here's a quote" - Lauryn Hill
duckett
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States589 Posts
May 17 2010 14:47 GMT
#36
i know this sounds excessive but i feel like saying any way of thinking is superior to another way of thinking is superior to another is kind of ridiculous, though there is a certain poetic beauty in accepting certain things as truths.

so i can't agree with your classification of classical music as the uber-genre, but i can respect your willingness to force sweet, beautiful ignorance upon yourself at only the cost of making yourself look like a massively pretentious douche.
funky squaredance funky squaredance funky squaredance
lazz
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Australia3119 Posts
May 17 2010 14:57 GMT
#37
music is subjective, stop arguing about it, it's stupid
Reason
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United Kingdom2770 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-17 15:18:39
May 17 2010 15:12 GMT
#38
Your blog makes as much sense as a rant about which colour is better than which.

You are the contemptible one.

On May 17 2010 21:14 flamewheel91 wrote:
Also people there's no need to be abrasive.

o rly
On May 17 2010 19:59 SoManyDeadLings wrote:
I lol'ed hard in contempt and pity.
arrogant tone-deafs
certain upbring instills so much damage on one's ability to appreciate real music

...
Speak properly, and in as few words as you can, but always plainly; for the end of speech is not ostentation, but to be understood.
iMarshall
Profile Joined July 2008
Norway190 Posts
May 17 2010 15:13 GMT
#39
I have to agree with what OP's saying about Dio. It didn't really bother me at all that he died. Sure, a man died, that's all very sad. But 1.8 people die every second, so I'm not going to spend a day mourning about one person who's music I never listened to anyway, just because he's a well known musician.

I do, however, respect that other people are sad because of it. Of course, musicians and actors I really like have died, and I'm saddened because I know they won't make any new great songs, or star in more great movies or TV-series, but that's how life is. I'm pretty sure noone on TL knew Dio personally, and if someone here did: I'm sorry for their loss, because a friend or family member of theirs died, which really sucks for them.

Now, on the music front, I understand what OP's saying. I used to do the same thing, spend all my time at parties trying to make people give jazz and classical music a chance. I mostly don't like today's pop music, rap, rock and metal, but there are of course exceptions. Though from my experience, I'll rarely like a new musician or composer if it's not within my favorite sub-genres of the music I like. I'm then better off not listening to this music, because that'll mean that I'll have to spend most of my time listening to music I don't like - just to have a small chance of maybe finding a new song or artist I'll like.

I mostly listen to jazz, because that's music that I, as a jazz musician and fan can really appreciate. When I sit down and listen to how the great jazz musicians play, I feel all these emotions. I hear all these small strokes of genius in their playing, and understand that they've reached a level of skill few others share, and are able to explore the music as they improvise. While most music is rehearsed, and then played just the way it's written down on a piece of paper (this goes for classical music too), jazz musicians have to work from a starting point, within a large and open frame and explore the music either alone or together. That is what I like about jazz, because I can never know where the music will go. I can also say with absolute certainty that most of today's greatest jazz and classical musicians are among the masters of their instruments, at a much higher level than most pop, rock and metal artists are. This still doesn't make jazz or classical music better than any other genre, because the only person that can say what music is best - in their mind, is people themselves.
ella_guru
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada1741 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-17 15:22:29
May 17 2010 15:16 GMT
#40
You obviously have no idea what rap and hip hop is.

You also obviously have no idea about classical music and are just a huge ... superficial airhead.

I dont see why people care if other people care that someone died. I dont expect you to care when my family members die, they dont have any meaning to you. I dont care about Dio's death, but I'll be sad when Leonard Cohen dies.


Then again, I listen to this song everyday on repeat before I start my day..





Lyrics


In the summertime when the weather is high
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find


If her daddy's rich take her out for a meal
If her daddy's poor just do what you feel
Speed along the lane
Do a ton or a ton an' twenty-five
When the sun goes down
You can make it, make it good in a lay-by
Each day gets better : )
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #3
ZZZero.O132
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 16
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 19096
Calm 2125
Shuttle 324
White-Ra 189
Mini 168
ZZZero.O 132
firebathero 73
soO 11
Sacsri 6
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps1520
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5038
Liquid`Hasu646
Other Games
summit1g6790
Liquid`RaSZi2219
FrodaN2072
fl0m1322
crisheroes308
IndyStarCraft 247
Pyrionflax221
Livibee184
Mew2King56
ToD10
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick928
BasetradeTV194
StarCraft 2
angryscii 20
EmSc Tv 16
EmSc2Tv 16
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 30
• musti20045 1
• niya90s 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki43
• blackmanpl 28
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1383
• Shiphtur690
• WagamamaTV372
Upcoming Events
OSC
2h 13m
Replay Cast
2h 13m
OSC
15h 13m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 14h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
[ Show More ]
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.