• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:30
CEST 16:30
KST 23:30
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20264Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] BW General Discussion Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10048 users

[G] Earlier Sparks Terran TvZ - Page 2

Forum Index > Brood War Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 Next All
icystorage
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Jollibee19350 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-06-27 18:06:19
June 27 2009 17:10 GMT
#21
This belongs in Liquipedia, not the strat forum. Why repost something here?


coz i don't know how to post there, and i Really don't think that this is Really fits it standard o.o its just a earlier sparks >.>

Doesn't actual Sparks Terran use lots of Firebats and +aTtacK instead of +armor? Isn't that why it's called Sparks Terran in the first placed?


this is a variation, you would be Push EARLY, w/c means that you'd have less rines so there for +1 armor (3 hits from sunken and lurker if he goes that tech) is way better than +1 aTtacK in early game. You could incorporate bats if you want to o.o i just prefer rines, since they can hit mutas (if he goes that tech)

On June 27 2009 22:51 koreasilver wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 27 2009 20:53 Count9 wrote:
Was this the build July used when he off-raced and did a ridiculous sunken break?

Yes. This build has the capability to rip through an absolutely ridiculous number of sunks with a rather small number of units. Completely baffling.


great example why +1 armor is better, left (Z)ChoJJa baffled
EDIT: Oh shit i thought it was midas, >.< my bad actually
LiquidDota StaffAre you ready for a Miracle-? We are! The International 2017 Champions!
koreasilver
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
9109 Posts
June 27 2009 17:15 GMT
#22
Uh, it was Chojja.

Also, I'm pretty sure the spark build always used +1 armor.
coltrane
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Chile988 Posts
June 27 2009 17:51 GMT
#23
is armor and fbats to absorb sunk dmg
Jävla skit
imBLIND
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
United States2626 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-06-27 22:22:34
June 27 2009 18:30 GMT
#24
On June 28 2009 02:10 icystorage wrote:
Show nested quote +
This belongs in Liquipedia, not the strat forum. Why repost something here?


coz i don't know how to post there, and i Really don't think that this is Really fits it standard o.o its just a earlier sparks >.>

Show nested quote +
Doesn't actual Sparks Terran use lots of Firebats and +aTtacK instead of +armor? Isn't that why it's called Sparks Terran in the first placed?


this is a variation, you would be Push EARLY, w/c means that you'd have less rines so there for +1 armor (3 hits from sunken and lurker if he goes that tech) is way better than +1 aTtacK in early game. You could incorporate bats if you want to o.o i just prefer rines, since they can hit mutas (if he goes that tech)

Show nested quote +
On June 27 2009 22:51 koreasilver wrote:
On June 27 2009 20:53 Count9 wrote:
Was this the build July used when he off-raced and did a ridiculous sunken break?

Yes. This build has the capability to rip through an absolutely ridiculous number of sunks with a rather small number of units. Completely baffling.


great example why +1 armor is better, left (T)Midas ( i think it was (T)Midas) baffled


http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=51709&currentpage=2

In the middle of the thread, joohyunee tested it and came to the conclusion that +1 weps was better for 5 or less sunks, and +1 armor was better for 6 or more sunks. However, he didn't add any firebats.

Whenever I sunk break I just make 6 firebats. I send 3 to take damage from the sunks and i keep 3 in the back for lings. The 3 bats i sent take up 9 sunk hits - thats 4 marines saved. With +1 weps, i then proceed to mow down the sunks because the hardest part about using +1 weps in sunk breaking is getting them there alive. The first and second volley of sunk attacks are the ones that kill the most marines. +1 armor obviously lets more marines survive those, but putting 6 firebats in the mix also gets the job done. Not to mention firebats are also extremely effective vs buildings, contrary to popular belief.
im deaf
Grobyc
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Canada18410 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-06-27 18:50:57
June 27 2009 18:41 GMT
#25
On June 27 2009 22:51 koreasilver wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 27 2009 20:53 Count9 wrote:
Was this the build July used when he off-raced and did a ridiculous sunken break?

Yes. This build has the capability to rip through an absolutely ridiculous number of sunks with a rather small number of units. Completely baffling.

I made a thread for it and uploaded for VOD here btw. When July breaks it's 7 sunkens but he takes out 8 altogether, along with the initial zerglings.
If you watch Godzilla backwards it's about a benevolent lizard who helps rebuild a city and then moonwalks into the ocean.
icystorage
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Jollibee19350 Posts
June 27 2009 18:48 GMT
#26
On June 28 2009 03:41 Grobyc wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 27 2009 22:51 koreasilver wrote:
On June 27 2009 20:53 Count9 wrote:
Was this the build July used when he off-raced and did a ridiculous sunken break?

Yes. This build has the capability to rip through an absolutely ridiculous number of sunks with a rather small number of units. Completely baffling.

I made a thread for it and uploaded for VOD here btw. When July breaks it's 7 sunkens but he takes out 9 altogether, along with the initial zerglings.


unlike (Z)July tho, i believe my variation is earlier, and OFTEN when the push reaches the nat, mutas would pop out...
LiquidDota StaffAre you ready for a Miracle-? We are! The International 2017 Champions!
ven
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Germany332 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-06-27 20:36:03
June 27 2009 20:04 GMT
#27
On June 27 2009 19:53 maybenexttime wrote:
It's called sparks because sunkens blowin up look like fireworks. ;p

I don't think they do. Exploding Firebats look like fireworks.. sunken colonies don't.

Edit: It might well be that the name came from the sunkens but when I first heard about it it was said that the name came from heavy firebat usage and I think it makes more sense. The Definitions guide from the recommended threads also states it this way iirc.
You can reach the rainbow. I'll be there to help.
Zoler
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Sweden6339 Posts
June 27 2009 20:27 GMT
#28
On June 28 2009 05:04 ven wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 27 2009 19:53 maybenexttime wrote:
It's called sparks because sunkens blowin up look like fireworks. ;p

I don't think they do. Exploding Firebats look like fireworks.. sunken colonies don't.


The name comes from the sunkens.
Lim Yo Hwan forever!
atoz01
Profile Joined November 2009
Philippines2 Posts
November 05 2009 09:03 GMT
#29
I have read and tried this... I practiced it first then tried it on another player... I lost...
Here is the replay... my sparks terran lose TvZ
Where did I go wrong?

...and he got muta in my base so I have to defend...What do I do?
need practice...
50bani
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Romania480 Posts
November 05 2009 10:00 GMT
#30
I suppose you guys stim and wait for the medics to heal some marines before moving in on the sunks. Otherwise there is no difference between armor or no armor. Same goes for lurks, guards, ultras. If you always fight stimmed and unhealed before you engage it makes no difference what level upgrade you have for marines.

Weapon upgrade works best vs the mutalisks and lurkers, while armor upgrade works best vs zerglings. As previously said, marines with +1 attack still need 6 shots to kill a zergling, unless hits are simultaneous, for the same reason vultures need 3 shots to kill a drone. As for sunkens, I would say attack is better but armor can be made effective with positioning, by having the bat/medic group in front when attacking. Also worth mentioning that a zergling deals as much damage as a sunken so this upgrade can have a lot of influence on the game overall not specifically on the sunken break itself
I'm posting on twoplustwo because I have always been amazed at the level of talent that populates this site --- it's almost unparalleled on the Internet.
sob3k
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States7572 Posts
November 05 2009 10:07 GMT
#31
firebats are also extremely effective vs buildings, contrary to popular belief.


umm, I politely disagree
In Hungry Hungry Hippos there are no such constraints—one can constantly attempt to collect marbles with one’s hippo, limited only by one’s hippo-levering capabilities.
kirbyraeg
Profile Joined October 2009
United States20 Posts
November 05 2009 10:39 GMT
#32
firebats are great at absorbing damage, and they hit buildings with both of all 3 of their splash hitboxes depending on positioning. They probably hit sunkens with all 3 of them...so they do the same damage as marines do to sunkens (albeit with a bit more cooldown), can tank a few extra hits from lings even without medic support, and they force the zerg player to not be careless with his lings, sending lings into a few firebats will just get them all toasted.

so they actually are still alright at taking down sunkens, and mixing them into a sunken break is a good idea for a bit of extra effectiveness vs lings and to absorb damage
Pokebunny
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States10654 Posts
November 05 2009 12:09 GMT
#33
On June 27 2009 19:19 icystorage wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 27 2009 18:06 arkaros wrote:
Mix some firebats is myt tip. Realy deals with the lings perfectly


I mix firebats but just to stop a ling backstab, i really dont add them to the push since it would probably distract medics, rines are more effective IMO

Show nested quote +
On June 27 2009 18:14 Lq_ fAn wrote:
2 hatch muta timing 6.00 min
3 hatch muta timing 6.55 min it depends on gas timing


this happens probably if they create no or only 2 lings, but since you would push, you can throw them off timing by let them create more lings


Firebats are good... lings that are after you start lair don't affect tech timing, just # of drones.
Semipro Terran player | Pokebunny#1710 | twitter.com/Pokebunny | twitch.tv/Pokebunny | facebook.com/PokebunnySC
Queequeg
Profile Joined September 2003
Germany263 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-11-05 14:30:24
November 05 2009 14:20 GMT
#34
On November 05 2009 18:03 atoz01 wrote:
I have read and tried this... I practiced it first then tried it on another player... I lost...
Here is the replay... my sparks terran lose TvZ
Where did I go wrong?

...and he got muta in my base so I have to defend...What do I do?

You didnt execute the BO correctly. Not by a long shot.
[image loading]

top = the BO
bottom = stuff you did
win8282
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Korea (South)454 Posts
November 05 2009 14:46 GMT
#35
I've tried this a few times, but it seems Sync knew something we're missing... Insane how he can rip through 7-10 sunks with just 1.5 ctrl group of rines + 5 medics + 2 fb
ZeKk
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Sweden320 Posts
November 05 2009 15:05 GMT
#36
Im personaly in favour for Stinger's old 3-rax +1 armor rather than this one, which has worse economy and slow range. And why would u need 6 medics when you dont even would heal with them all at once in battle? 4 medics should be enough for a full group of marines and they have enough mana to give heal to the marines through the battle.
Ur whole build seems ineffecint with depot stops, inregulary marine production.
sry to break it for you :/
But this has been tested for years already.
Catch]22
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Sweden2683 Posts
November 05 2009 16:32 GMT
#37
On November 05 2009 23:20 Queequeg wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 05 2009 18:03 atoz01 wrote:
I have read and tried this... I practiced it first then tried it on another player... I lost...
Here is the replay... my sparks terran lose TvZ
Where did I go wrong?

...and he got muta in my base so I have to defend...What do I do?

You didnt execute the BO correctly. Not by a long shot.
[image loading]

top = the BO
bottom = stuff you did


Oooooh, is that some kind of program? I'd love to compare my Flash build to... Flash.
Rainbow
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States249 Posts
November 05 2009 16:51 GMT
#38
On November 06 2009 01:32 Catch]22 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 05 2009 23:20 Queequeg wrote:
On November 05 2009 18:03 atoz01 wrote:
I have read and tried this... I practiced it first then tried it on another player... I lost...
Here is the replay... my sparks terran lose TvZ
Where did I go wrong?

...and he got muta in my base so I have to defend...What do I do?

You didnt execute the BO correctly. Not by a long shot.
[image loading]

top = the BO
bottom = stuff you did


Oooooh, is that some kind of program? I'd love to compare my Flash build to... Flash.

Off topic: I think it's bwchart. link here
http://bwchart.teamliquid.net/

On topic: I'll try this out probably later this weekend, but some thoughts:

6 medics? That seems like alot. I'd rather have 16 or 17 marines and 3-4 medics.

I think +1 armor will be great because the three firebats on the ramp at home have a much greater chance to kill all of the zerglings, if there's something like 12 speedling backstab.

It's safe to assume that I would expand while pushing, but if the push fails, wouldn't that be a big problem with mutas or lurkers coming my way, while having few marines? This seems like a do or die build order.
wok
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States504 Posts
November 05 2009 17:30 GMT
#39
On June 27 2009 18:06 arkaros wrote:
Mix some firebats is myt tip. Realy deals with the lings perfectly

Just make sure your firebat doesn't get sniped by the sunkens, ggaemo style.
I'll race you to defeatism... you win.
atoz01
Profile Joined November 2009
Philippines2 Posts
November 06 2009 14:29 GMT
#40
On November 06 2009 01:51 Rainbow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 06 2009 01:32 Catch]22 wrote:
On November 05 2009 23:20 Queequeg wrote:
On November 05 2009 18:03 atoz01 wrote:
I have read and tried this... I practiced it first then tried it on another player... I lost...
Here is the replay... my sparks terran lose TvZ
Where did I go wrong?

...and he got muta in my base so I have to defend...What do I do?

You didnt execute the BO correctly. Not by a long shot.
[image loading]

top = the BO
bottom = stuff you did


Oooooh, is that some kind of program? I'd love to compare my Flash build to... Flash.

Off topic: I think it's bwchart. link here
http://bwchart.teamliquid.net/

On topic: I'll try this out probably later this weekend, but some thoughts:

6 medics? That seems like alot. I'd rather have 16 or 17 marines and 3-4 medics.

I think +1 armor will be great because the three firebats on the ramp at home have a much greater chance to kill all of the zerglings, if there's something like 12 speedling backstab.

It's safe to assume that I would expand while pushing, but if the push fails, wouldn't that be a big problem with mutas or lurkers coming my way, while having few marines? This seems like a do or die build order.


Thanks for the picture...My build order really is far off the point.
Did you edit the pictures or you just used a function in the bwchart?

Now I'm beginning to see the cons of this build order:
1) mutas/lurks are out if your sunk break fails.
2) having a little force at your base after a failed attack makes it very hard to defend.

Could you please point me where is that "Stinger 3 rax +1 armor" build order?
need practice...
Prev 1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
22:00
King of the Hill #264
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 251
MaxPax 250
Codebar 7
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 63942
Calm 4135
Shuttle 2615
Bisu 1781
FanTaSy 1578
Soma 578
Mini 570
EffOrt 485
Stork 357
Rush 355
[ Show more ]
Light 292
Hyuk 255
firebathero 247
Snow 195
ZerO 159
actioN 137
Barracks 121
Zeus 82
Killer 81
hero 68
Dewaltoss 61
Hyun 47
Pusan 44
Shinee 40
ToSsGirL 35
Bale 33
Sharp 31
Free 25
Shine 24
PianO 22
Aegong 20
zelot 19
yabsab 17
sorry 16
HiyA 13
Noble 9
Sacsri 8
Dota 2
Gorgc7912
Dendi1032
Counter-Strike
kRYSTAL_119
x6flipin7
Heroes of the Storm
Lowko433
crisheroes425
Other Games
singsing2200
hiko2067
B2W.Neo450
byalli252
Hui .203
Livibee190
Liquid`VortiX145
Mew2King68
Rex37
Trikslyr26
ZerO(Twitch)9
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV248
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 6
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 39
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2186
Upcoming Events
OSC
7h 45m
Replay Cast
8h 30m
OSC
1d 8h
Big Brain Bouts
1d 19h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
[ Show More ]
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.