• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:21
CEST 07:21
KST 14:21
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach Bot on ladder BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7772 users

Heavy Mech vs Zerg - Page 3

Forum Index > Brood War Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Resonate
Profile Joined October 2002
United Kingdom8402 Posts
July 04 2006 19:53 GMT
#41
On July 02 2006 13:34 monkus wrote:
Plus I figure goliaths own against mutalisks as well...

you figure horribly wrong

Memory lane in nice
QuietIdiot
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
7004 Posts
July 04 2006 19:57 GMT
#42
nada vs gorush finals "you are the golf king" --;

Ever see those two games on Arizona? --;

Fine example of mech play.
ChApFoU
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
France2984 Posts
July 04 2006 20:10 GMT
#43
On July 05 2006 04:53 Resonate wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 02 2006 13:34 monkus wrote:
Plus I figure goliaths own against mutalisks as well...

you figure horribly wrong



Not that wrong, depends on the situation. Mutas are good early game but once terran reach a good amount of golz they are inefficient. I just made a test 36 gols 3-3+charon vs 36 muts 3-3 = the mutas gets buttfucked in an ugly fashion and you still have 3/4 of your gol force at then end of the fight, yet mutas cost twice the gaz.
"I honestly think that whoever invented toilet paper in a genius" Kang Min
ChApFoU
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
France2984 Posts
July 04 2006 20:13 GMT
#44
Mech vs zerg owns in theory, problem is that a decent zerg will never let you get that critical mass of metal which mops the floor with anything it encounters
"I honestly think that whoever invented toilet paper in a genius" Kang Min
Reason
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United Kingdom2770 Posts
July 04 2006 20:57 GMT
#45
Perhaps then a standard opening with a switch to mech would be more efficient.. if you play right and secure a couple of expos you could bunk up, fact up, and make the switch safely with an appropriate amount of units, plus you still have your previous marinemedic army. I've done this before and it works, but if I'm going to mech I prefer to do it hardcore.
MnM with goliath support (although i didnt mention it earlier) is one of the most effective armies vs zerg ive ever seen, give it a try sometime.
Speak properly, and in as few words as you can, but always plainly; for the end of speech is not ostentation, but to be understood.
mightyzealot
Profile Joined July 2006
China11 Posts
July 04 2006 21:25 GMT
#46
On July 05 2006 05:57 Reason wrote:
Perhaps then a standard opening with a switch to mech would be more efficient.. if you play right and secure a couple of expos you could bunk up, fact up, and make the switch safely with an appropriate amount of units, plus you still have your previous marinemedic army. I've done this before and it works, but if I'm going to mech I prefer to do it hardcore.
MnM with goliath support (although i didnt mention it earlier) is one of the most effective armies vs zerg ive ever seen, give it a try sometime.


You will have less gas for vessels if you do that
Few goliaths will do nothing I think
Reason
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United Kingdom2770 Posts
July 04 2006 21:30 GMT
#47
I will have less gas for vessels if I do what??? I played a pure mech game (four marines) into tank/goli and I had 2 armories going and 3 vessels with irradiate off two bases keep that in mind all of you when talking shit to me about no gas for vessels.
Few goliaths does a lot, they are very good, and im talking about standard TvZ play plus 1-2 fac goliath.
Speak properly, and in as few words as you can, but always plainly; for the end of speech is not ostentation, but to be understood.
Chill
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Calgary26003 Posts
July 04 2006 23:58 GMT
#48
On July 05 2006 06:30 Reason wrote:
I will have less gas for vessels if I do what??? I played a pure mech game (four marines) into tank/goli and I had 2 armories going and 3 vessels with irradiate off two bases keep that in mind all of you when talking shit to me about no gas for vessels.
Few goliaths does a lot, they are very good, and im talking about standard TvZ play plus 1-2 fac goliath.


Please, just stop.
Moderator
LG)Sabbath
Profile Blog Joined July 2005
Argentina3024 Posts
July 05 2006 00:12 GMT
#49
On July 05 2006 06:30 Reason wrote:
I will have less gas for vessels if I do what??? I played a pure mech game (four marines) into tank/goli and I had 2 armories going and 3 vessels with irradiate off two bases keep that in mind all of you when talking shit to me about no gas for vessels.
Few goliaths does a lot, they are very good, and im talking about standard TvZ play plus 1-2 fac goliath.

lol yes, 3 vessel+irradiate +2armory +gollies, i wonder why you didnt just go mass 3-3 bc from 8 starports
https://www.twitch.tv/argsabbath/
Patriot.dlk
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
Sweden5462 Posts
July 05 2006 00:17 GMT
#50
Every three weeks? Try like four times a year :p or show me like 50 threads about it
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
July 05 2006 00:17 GMT
#51
I'm not quite sure why you'd want to get both engineering bay upgrades plus both armory upgrades in order to make your ground army slightly weaker and reduce your vessel count.

What would you want goliaths for? Extra range against mutalisks? But marines already outrange mutalisks, so it's not like midgame zerg can hit and run your attack-moved midgame blob. Extra range to hit guardians? But vessels are better against guardians anyway, and guardians can't abuse cliffs when they're irradiated and dead. Extra ground damage? But marines do more damage, although it takes two marines to do comparable damage to one goliath against ultralisks (so the advantage is somewhat nullified, not reversed, attacking ultralisks). Kill lurkers? Why not use vessels and/or tanks? Anyway, dark swarm is going to make you cry.

Yes, it's true that most people may overlook some units, but I think terrans are best off spending gas elsewhere: to make groud forces deal more damage and take less damage, scout freely without using units (hax!), make units that get free kills every couple of minutes and can kill stuff under swarm, make units that deal massive splash damage that can hurt under swarm as well as steamroll lurkers, make units that heal your ground troops as they're being attacked and allow for multiple stims, and make units that totally rape lings and can hit somewhat under swarm. Goliaths can kind of fight and shoot?
Reason
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United Kingdom2770 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-07-06 01:54:05
July 05 2006 02:36 GMT
#52
On July 05 2006 09:17 Myrmidon wrote:
I'm not quite sure why you'd want to get both engineering bay upgrades plus both armory upgrades in order to make your ground army slightly weaker and reduce your vessel count.

What would you want goliaths for?

you DONT get both ebay upgrades and both armory upgrades, i'm talking about two different strategies and you would know that if you had bothered to read my posts before jumping at the chance to join in with the crowd. And you get goliaths because they are cool;) they do well against pretty much anything, you can use them for drops (super range, marines being sufficient vs muta doesn't make goliath range irrelevant, catching ovis over water (gogo waste irradiate) and dont get SLAIN by lurkers.
On July 05 2006 08:58 Chill wrote:
Please, just stop.

This is a strategy forum and I am discussing a valid strategy and im not breaking any rules, you have absolutely no right to ask that of me, especially since you don't give me any reason whatsoever.
On July 05 2006 09:12 Sabbath wrote:
lol yes, 3 vessel+irradiate +2armory +gollies, i wonder why you didnt just go mass 3-3 bc from 8 starports

What the hell is that supposed to mean you fucking noob..? Are you trying to be funny? You know it's pretty sad that your trying to be funny by making fun of how ridiculous my strat is when I've done it.. if you think I'm joking I've got the replay.

So to all .. disappointed
Speak properly, and in as few words as you can, but always plainly; for the end of speech is not ostentation, but to be understood.
IdrA
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
United States11541 Posts
July 05 2006 03:06 GMT
#53
On July 05 2006 06:30 Reason wrote:
I will have less gas for vessels if I do what??? I played a pure mech game (four marines) into tank/goli and I had 2 armories going and 3 vessels with irradiate off two bases keep that in mind all of you when talking shit to me about no gas for vessels.
Few goliaths does a lot, they are very good, and im talking about standard TvZ play plus 1-2 fac goliath.

are you talking about pure mech or using gols as an additive to your main force? you keep switching between the 2. and both are bad except on certain maps. for the reasons i stated, as well as multiple other people, that you chose to make irrelevant, wrong arguments against and then ignore. chill is right please stfu now.
http://www.splitreason.com/product/1152 release the gracken tshirt now available
Reason
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United Kingdom2770 Posts
July 05 2006 03:13 GMT
#54
:r
This is all I am saying and have been trying to say. Apologies to all if you feel I have been ignoring you or not taking on board what you have said.
Mech vs Zerg is possible.
When doing so, a quick vult/expo opening into goliaths, goliath/tank, goliath/valk with vultures included where necessary/possible + relevant armory support is what I have found works nicely.
If you don't want to do that, you can open standard play, then make the switch to mech later so you will have a biomech force, obviously you would not have ebay upgs because you are planning the switch to mech entirely, in time.
Alternatively, just play your own standard TvZ, but hey, try throwing in a few gols, I have done so and it works quite nicely.
Speak properly, and in as few words as you can, but always plainly; for the end of speech is not ostentation, but to be understood.
IdrA
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
United States11541 Posts
July 05 2006 03:26 GMT
#55
no, it doesnt. it wastes fac production time better spent on tanks (or vults if theyre using ults or defs) and money.

and saying that it works for you is not going to convince anyone its good, because on almost every map with a gas nat it isnt.
http://www.splitreason.com/product/1152 release the gracken tshirt now available
Reason
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United Kingdom2770 Posts
July 05 2006 03:44 GMT
#56
I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, when I do that I get told to shut the fuck up. I'm just telling people what I've done and if they want to try it and come to their own conclusions, then that's fine, if not, I couldn't really care less...
Speak properly, and in as few words as you can, but always plainly; for the end of speech is not ostentation, but to be understood.
IdrA
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
United States11541 Posts
July 05 2006 03:51 GMT
#57
you cant have it both ways. you cant make 2 pages worth of shitty arguments including insults to the intelligence/skill of those arguing against you and then turn around and claim you dont care.
http://www.splitreason.com/product/1152 release the gracken tshirt now available
venusian.kohai
Profile Joined February 2006
Canada741 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-07-05 03:54:22
July 05 2006 03:53 GMT
#58
On July 05 2006 11:36 Reason wrote:

What the hell is that supposed to mean you fucking noob..? Are you trying to be funny? You know it's pretty sad that your trying to be funny by making fun of how ridiculous my strat is when I've done it.. if you think I'm joking I've got the replay.

So to all .. disappointed


Show us the replay, I'm intrigued by how you work that strategy
“Scouting? What the hell! Who cares about scouting? Mass archon, baby!”
Reason
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United Kingdom2770 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-07-05 04:18:48
July 05 2006 04:00 GMT
#59
Edit: I do not wish to speak to you. I can and I just did. I gave up that's why I don't care now, don't message me specifically in this thread again I have nothing more to say to you.



If the zerg is too newb, I only won because of a certain thing, or im too horrible to even be posting then tell me and I'll do it again, better, hopefully
and ill post on two conditions
1.dont laugh at me for any of the reasons I mentioned above
2.you tell me how to post replays -.-
Speak properly, and in as few words as you can, but always plainly; for the end of speech is not ostentation, but to be understood.
Chill
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Calgary26003 Posts
July 05 2006 05:37 GMT
#60
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Stop!

Yes this is a strategy forum and you've got the right to post here; that doesn't mean you get to spew your opinoin (which is wrong) all over the place.

Mech vs Zerg is possible.


Okay, we're off to a good start. Defiler / Queen only is also possible. Winning with your feet is possible. Let's change this sentence to read "Anything is possible."

When doing so, a quick vult/expo opening into goliaths, goliath/tank, goliath/valk with vultures included where necessary/possible + relevant armory support is what I have found works nicely.


Ok.

If you don't want to do that, you can open standard play, then make the switch to mech later so you will have a biomech force, obviously you would not have ebay upgs because you are planning the switch to mech entirely, in time.


No, this is where you lose me. You don't open MnM and then switch to mech. What would be the advantage of that? You've invested in Barracks and I suppose Academy upgrades. Why did you build these Marines if you're planning on switching to Mech? Give me one reason why? You're going to try to break his Sunkens, which won't work, now you're going to have like 12 Marines, 3 Medics, and a handful of Goliaths. He has 9 Mutalisks and 2 morphing gas expansions. Now you can't move out because you're in the transition to mech. By the time you move out he's got a huge Mutalisk force and 4 running geysers. You're fucked. You can't win that.

Alternatively, just play your own standard TvZ, but hey, try throwing in a few gols, I have done so and it works quite nicely.


WRONG
Please. What is the reason you're adding Goliaths? WHY? As already mentioned 3 times, Marines outrange Mutalisks anyways. For every 5 Goliaths you get 1 Vessel, 1 Medic, and 7 Marines. Goliaths let you hit Mutalisks farther, but Irradiate already has quite superior range. 1 Irradiate is going to hurt Zerg a lot more than a couple of Goliath hits. Frankly, gas is so precious in TvZ I don't know how you can consider wasting it on Goliaths.

Would you care to test this out? I'd like to play you best of 5 (7? 9?) where you have to use Goliaths and I'll do whatever. I just can't see how you figure this is going to add any value to your army. Mech CAN work but it's very hard. If your Vultures fail, you pretty much should fold up shop because you're not going to be able to leave your base for the next 10 minutes.
Moderator
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 39m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 137
SortOf 121
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2199
HiyA 384
Mong 152
Shinee 74
sorry 40
NotJumperer 16
Noble 14
Icarus 6
Dota 2
monkeys_forever1288
NeuroSwarm178
League of Legends
JimRising 665
Reynor56
Heroes of the Storm
WinterStarcraft599
Other Games
summit1g6995
Coldzera 743
C9.Mang0333
PiGStarcraft161
RuFF_SC232
ArmadaUGS29
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick698
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream380
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 6
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2144
League of Legends
• Lourlo1229
• Rush1164
• Stunt367
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4h 39m
Afreeca Starleague
4h 39m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
18h 39m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 5h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.