• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:54
CEST 17:54
KST 00:54
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)56Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Fantasy returning? ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8039 users

Simple Questions, Simple Answers - Page 287

Forum Index > Brood War Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 285 286 287 288 289 488 Next
Comodore
Profile Joined July 2013
Brazil51 Posts
December 06 2016 12:33 GMT
#5721
On December 05 2016 10:18 Jealous wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 05 2016 06:28 Comodore wrote:
What should I do when i scout 11 nexus, last spot scouted and i was 1 gate gas? in pvp.
I feel like if i try to attack i'm behind. If i go nexus I'm behind. If i go reaver tech i dont have enough army to fight becase he have better eco pumping more units.

Sometimes you have to accept the fact that because of early build-order choices + scouting pattern, you will be behind. That's normal, and if you could overcome that with some simple trick and suddenly be ahead or not behind, then there wouldn't be much purpose in doing builds like 12 Nexus, would there?

If he's going 12 Nexus, 2 Gate Zeal, look at what he has going for himself: 2 Mineral lines/Nexus = eco, 2 Gate Zealot Production.

What you have going for you: You know what your enemy is doing, should be safe from any immediate danger, tech advantage + gas advantage, will be able to kill scout before he can do the same for you.

So, what would I recommend?

Reaver bust is always viable in this scenario. I would get range after Robo. Even if you can't bust him, you can do economic damage, contain him, and expand behind it yourself.

You can drop Reaver on his mineral lines because he is more likely to be concerned about you coming to bust from the front and might not have Dragoons in position. He certainly shouldn't have Observers to clue him in on your flight path/see you behind his natural minerals on FS.

You can try to go for a cheesy drop like 2 Zeal 2 DT on his main - that should do a lot of damage to him, and DTs will prevent him from countering you for a while.

You can expand and then add a Gateway - your eco might be a little behind, but your Dragoon count and range timing should be far superior to his so all you have to do is hold any potential Zealot aggression.

You can't be ahead in every game you play. Try to work with what you have and abuse what your opponent does not.


Thanks for the detailed answer. I just don't know when to expand while teching to reaver. If just after making robo and before reaver or add gate and just try to take exp after some damage done.
I think I just need to play more and try it till i get it.
ninazerg
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States7291 Posts
December 07 2016 03:25 GMT
#5722
How do I deal with guardians in ZvZ? It always seems like there is no way to deal with them appropriately since they each take two scourge to kill, and when there are 18-24 guardians, I essentially need 36-48 scourge, which is difficult to produce and use properly in time. I was thinking that hydra/swarm might be good, but the guardians always move out of range, and my opponent snipes my defiler with a broodling. I've tried getting burrow for my defiler, but it seems like the broodling always hits before the unit actually burrows, so I dunno.

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.
"If two pregnant women get into a fist fight, it's like a mecha-battle between two unborn babies." - Fyodor Dostoevsky
Jonoman92
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
United States9110 Posts
December 07 2016 03:29 GMT
#5723
Lol nina I don't have any tips but I like how you describe going vs guardians and queen broodling sniping your defilers as a common ZvZ occurrence.

I mean, if he has that many guardians couldn't you go for muta/devourer for air superiority? I guess it depends on how the game had been going thus far which you didn't really go into.
evilfatsh1t
Profile Joined October 2010
Australia8928 Posts
December 07 2016 05:33 GMT
#5724
On December 07 2016 12:25 ninazerg wrote:
How do I deal with guardians in ZvZ? It always seems like there is no way to deal with them appropriately since they each take two scourge to kill, and when there are 18-24 guardians, I essentially need 36-48 scourge, which is difficult to produce and use properly in time. I was thinking that hydra/swarm might be good, but the guardians always move out of range, and my opponent snipes my defiler with a broodling. I've tried getting burrow for my defiler, but it seems like the broodling always hits before the unit actually burrows, so I dunno.

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.

build corsairs obviously...
ArmadA[NaS]
Profile Joined January 2014
United States350 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-12-07 14:01:21
December 07 2016 05:59 GMT
#5725
On December 05 2016 06:28 Comodore wrote:
What should I do when i scout 11 nexus, last spot scouted and i was 1 gate gas? in pvp.
I feel like if i try to attack i'm behind. If i go nexus I'm behind. If i go reaver tech i dont have enough army to fight becase he have better eco pumping more units.

Just watched a game where Sky made a proxy robo vs a cross position (2nd position scouted but probably still have time to do it if you scout them last) nexus first. The key part is he built 3 shield batteries to not only keep the reaver alive but to keep your dragoons (I think he produced from just 2 gates) from dying when you push the front cannons. In the game the nexus first player went DTs and he was able to keep his reaver alive long enough for the obs to come out- it ended up being a base race but since he kept the reaver alive it was a pretty easy win.
Jealous
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
10391 Posts
December 07 2016 07:11 GMT
#5726
On December 07 2016 14:59 f10eqq wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 05 2016 06:28 Comodore wrote:
What should I do when i scout 11 nexus, last spot scouted and i was 1 gate gas? in pvp.
I feel like if i try to attack i'm behind. If i go nexus I'm behind. If i go reaver tech i dont have enough army to fight becase he have better eco pumping more units.

Just watched a game where Sky made a proxy robo vs a cross position (2nd position scouted but probably still have time to do it if you scout them last) nexus first. The key part is he built 3 shield batteries to not only keep the reaver alive but to keep your dragoons (I think he just made 2) from dying when you push the front cannons. In the game the nexus first player went DTs and he was able to keep his reaver alive long enough for the obs to come out- it ended up being a base race but since he kept the reaver alive it was a pretty easy win.

That sounds amazing. Any chance you know/can request a VOD knowing the specifics?
"The right to vote is only the oar of the slaveship, I wanna be free." -- бум бум сучка!
ArmadA[NaS]
Profile Joined January 2014
United States350 Posts
December 07 2016 12:34 GMT
#5727
On December 07 2016 16:11 Jealous wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 07 2016 14:59 f10eqq wrote:
On December 05 2016 06:28 Comodore wrote:
What should I do when i scout 11 nexus, last spot scouted and i was 1 gate gas? in pvp.
I feel like if i try to attack i'm behind. If i go nexus I'm behind. If i go reaver tech i dont have enough army to fight becase he have better eco pumping more units.

Just watched a game where Sky made a proxy robo vs a cross position (2nd position scouted but probably still have time to do it if you scout them last) nexus first. The key part is he built 3 shield batteries to not only keep the reaver alive but to keep your dragoons (I think he just made 2) from dying when you push the front cannons. In the game the nexus first player went DTs and he was able to keep his reaver alive long enough for the obs to come out- it ended up being a base race but since he kept the reaver alive it was a pretty easy win.

That sounds amazing. Any chance you know/can request a VOD knowing the specifics?

Here's the Afreeca VOD PvP vs Noble (game at 04:02:00)
ninazerg
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States7291 Posts
December 07 2016 21:12 GMT
#5728
On December 07 2016 12:29 Jonoman92 wrote:
Lol nina I don't have any tips but I like how you describe going vs guardians and queen broodling sniping your defilers as a common ZvZ occurrence.

I mean, if he has that many guardians couldn't you go for muta/devourer for air superiority? I guess it depends on how the game had been going thus far which you didn't really go into.


Well, it's tough to know when to get my spire because my opponent uses his mutalisks to kill all my scouting units, so I'm basically in the dark until I move out, so I really don't know what kind of tech he's going for. I would think going greater spire and then devourer would be a huge investment wasted if he switches to lurkers rather than spending the gas on guardians.

On December 07 2016 14:33 evilfatsh1t wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 07 2016 12:25 ninazerg wrote:
How do I deal with guardians in ZvZ? It always seems like there is no way to deal with them appropriately since they each take two scourge to kill, and when there are 18-24 guardians, I essentially need 36-48 scourge, which is difficult to produce and use properly in time. I was thinking that hydra/swarm might be good, but the guardians always move out of range, and my opponent snipes my defiler with a broodling. I've tried getting burrow for my defiler, but it seems like the broodling always hits before the unit actually burrows, so I dunno.

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.

build corsairs obviously...


Thanks for the troll answer -_-
"If two pregnant women get into a fist fight, it's like a mecha-battle between two unborn babies." - Fyodor Dostoevsky
evilfatsh1t
Profile Joined October 2010
Australia8928 Posts
December 07 2016 23:46 GMT
#5729
i had my doubts that it was a legitimate question
TheNewEra
Profile Joined March 2011
Germany3128 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-12-08 03:02:14
December 08 2016 02:55 GMT
#5730
I'm currently editing/filling out the old Proleagues on Liquipedia. Currently sitting at 2005 SKY Proleague Round 1 and I am using an old teamliquid thread to fill it in. Does anyone know which map this one 우산국 is ? It was used in 2005 and was played in 2v2. If someone has an English name for the map it would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Okay went through the wiki 2v2 maps database. If my hangul skills aren't completely wrong it is 'Usan Nation'.
Midas <3 Casy <3 BeSt <3 | Pray to Doh-men, heathens! | Zwischen Harz und Heideland
Jealous
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
10391 Posts
December 08 2016 03:04 GMT
#5731
On December 08 2016 11:55 TheNewEra wrote:
I'm currently editing/filling out the old Proleagues on Liquipedia. Currently sitting at 2005 SKY Proleague Round 1 and I am using an old teamliquid thread to fill it in. Does anyone know which map this one 우산국 is ? It was used in 2005 and was played in 2v2. If someone has an English name for the map it would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Okay went through the wiki 2v2 maps database. If my hangul skills aren't completely wrong it is 'Usan Nation'.

[image loading]
I got the translations "Donghae" or "Umbrella" from Google.

However, when Googling the name itself, it does in fact point to Usan Nation.
"The right to vote is only the oar of the slaveship, I wanna be free." -- бум бум сучка!
ninazerg
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States7291 Posts
December 08 2016 05:56 GMT
#5732
On December 08 2016 11:55 TheNewEra wrote:
I'm currently editing/filling out the old Proleagues on Liquipedia. Currently sitting at 2005 SKY Proleague Round 1 and I am using an old teamliquid thread to fill it in. Does anyone know which map this one 우산국 is ? It was used in 2005 and was played in 2v2. If someone has an English name for the map it would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Okay went through the wiki 2v2 maps database. If my hangul skills aren't completely wrong it is 'Usan Nation'.


Kingdom of Woosan from medieval Korea.
"If two pregnant women get into a fist fight, it's like a mecha-battle between two unborn babies." - Fyodor Dostoevsky
Bakuryu
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Germany1065 Posts
December 08 2016 12:03 GMT
#5733
why are progamer zergs still playing 12 hatch in zvp on standard maps?
[[Starlight]]
Profile Joined December 2013
United States1578 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-12-08 12:14:13
December 08 2016 12:13 GMT
#5734
On December 08 2016 21:03 Bakuryu wrote:
why are progamer zergs still playing 12 hatch in zvp on standard maps?

What should they play instead?

User was warned for being hilarious
Bakuryu
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Germany1065 Posts
December 08 2016 14:17 GMT
#5735
On December 08 2016 21:13 [[Starlight]] wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 08 2016 21:03 Bakuryu wrote:
why are progamer zergs still playing 12 hatch in zvp on standard maps?

What should they play instead?



overpool
BisuDagger
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Bisutopia19387 Posts
December 08 2016 15:48 GMT
#5736
On December 08 2016 23:17 Bakuryu wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 08 2016 21:13 [[Starlight]] wrote:
On December 08 2016 21:03 Bakuryu wrote:
why are progamer zergs still playing 12 hatch in zvp on standard maps?

What should they play instead?



overpool

Well, let's just theorize what 12 hatch can lead to:
* faster extra larva
* faster extra drones
* faster macro hatchery or faster natural gas

Positives in the early game:
* 3 hatch hydra timings
* Strong lurker timing (more gas mined after lair/aspect is done if you took a faster gas too)
* Two base muta timing (a less common build obviously)

Negatives:
* Tougher against gateway first which has become more common
* Later map presence with lings


I do agree that Overpool seems to just be such a safe build order it is hard to argue otherwise, but maybe the economical advantage is worth it for less common builds. I would love to know what you would add/adjust/remove from the nlist.
ModeratorFormer Afreeca Starleague Caster: http://afreeca.tv/ASL2ENG2
Kau *
Profile Joined March 2007
Canada3502 Posts
December 08 2016 16:53 GMT
#5737
To add to the negatives column:
* Protoss can cannon rush you more easily
* Protoss doesn't need cannons before all of nexus, gateway, and forge are built
Moderator
BisuDagger
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Bisutopia19387 Posts
December 08 2016 17:28 GMT
#5738
On December 09 2016 01:53 Kau wrote:
To add to the negatives column:
* Protoss can cannon rush you more easily
* Protoss doesn't need cannons before all of nexus, gateway, and forge are built

The cannon rush is certainly an issue. But if the protoss goes nexus, gateway, forge without a cannon, couldn't the zerg capitalize by taking a faster third base themselves? I feel like they should be very greedy in response. Although the standard response I see from most zergs is that in stead they pump out a few hydras to force cannons or else they get an easy forge kill.
ModeratorFormer Afreeca Starleague Caster: http://afreeca.tv/ASL2ENG2
Liquid`Drone
Profile Joined September 2002
Norway28900 Posts
December 08 2016 17:41 GMT
#5739
is really cannon rushing a big problem for top zergs?
Moderator
halomonian
Profile Joined January 2012
Brazil255 Posts
December 08 2016 18:00 GMT
#5740
On December 07 2016 12:25 ninazerg wrote:
How do I deal with guardians in ZvZ? It always seems like there is no way to deal with them appropriately since they each take two scourge to kill, and when there are 18-24 guardians, I essentially need 36-48 scourge, which is difficult to produce and use properly in time. I was thinking that hydra/swarm might be good, but the guardians always move out of range, and my opponent snipes my defiler with a broodling. I've tried getting burrow for my defiler, but it seems like the broodling always hits before the unit actually burrows, so I dunno.

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.


Well, I would consider devourers if you have a mutalisk step in your play. Then you can greatly leverage the power of your scourge and muta. And obviously have a shit load of bases around to maximize your output and counter attack with cracklings
thoughts in chaos | enjOy[dream]
Prev 1 285 286 287 288 289 488 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 3
IntoTheiNu 1295
ComeBackTV 847
SteadfastSC763
TaKeTV 491
IndyStarCraft 176
Rex151
EnkiAlexander 83
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 778
IndyStarCraft 176
Rex 151
ProTech127
BRAT_OK 41
MindelVK 17
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 45790
Bisu 2297
EffOrt 972
Shuttle 619
BeSt 466
Mini 456
Soma 439
Light 429
Larva 360
ZerO 205
[ Show more ]
Rush 192
Hyuk 178
firebathero 78
Sea.KH 66
Mong 64
Snow 57
910 56
Liquid`Ret 54
Pusan 53
Sexy 40
ToSsGirL 34
Aegong 30
Trap 29
Bale 27
Terrorterran 22
JYJ 21
Shine 20
Rock 16
yabsab 12
Sacsri 11
ajuk12(nOOB) 10
Dota 2
Gorgc8594
qojqva962
Counter-Strike
fl0m829
Fnx 800
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1410
Khaldor1171
Other Games
singsing1876
hiko1436
Beastyqt651
Livibee203
Hui .170
ArmadaUGS159
KnowMe124
XaKoH 118
QueenE84
Mew2King76
DeMusliM49
ZerO(Twitch)12
CosmosSc2 4
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV250
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream93
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 11
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• poizon28 39
• StrangeGG 30
• mYiSmile129
• Gemini_19 11
• Kozan
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 42
• Michael_bg 11
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3616
• TFBlade407
Other Games
• Shiphtur319
Upcoming Events
OSC
6h 6m
CranKy Ducklings
18h 6m
Online Event
19h 6m
FEL
1d
AI Arena Tournament
1d 1h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 3h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 18h
INu's Battles
1d 20h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.