• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:28
CEST 14:28
KST 21:28
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)41Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10446 users

[G]Cheese Builds - Page 7

Forum Index > Brood War Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 11 Next All
MuffinDude
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States3837 Posts
December 28 2009 00:58 GMT
#121
On December 28 2009 09:51 KwarK wrote:
Yeah, right next to where I said I was better than Bisu or Stork.

You seem to bring in rank to this matter. You know higher rank doesn't mean you understand the game better, but maybe you just can perform better? For example in the 100 meter dash, a scientist can understand every little bits and pieces of how to maximize the effectiveness of your muscles, but he or she will probably be never be faster than Usain Bolt.

If this fails. You can lose up to 2 pylons (possibly 3), 2 gateways, 4~6 zealots. So that is about 900~1200 mineral. You might be able to kill up to 4~10 probes, 2~3 zealots, and cost about 200~300 min worth of mining time. That is about 600~1100 minerals. So at best, you can get about 200 mineral worth of advantage, higher tech, and more probe count. But if it fails you can lose up to 600 minerals, putting you behind by quite a bit this early in the game. That is a high risk build, which is why I'm putting it as cheese.
Zerg can be so abusive sometimes | third member of the "loli is not a crime club" PM konadora to join!
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44330 Posts
December 28 2009 01:03 GMT
#122
On December 28 2009 09:58 MuffinDude wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 28 2009 09:51 KwarK wrote:
Yeah, right next to where I said I was better than Bisu or Stork.

You seem to bring in rank to this matter. You know higher rank doesn't mean you understand the game better, but maybe you just can perform better? For example in the 100 meter dash, a scientist can understand every little bits and pieces of how to maximize the effectiveness of your muscles, but he or she will probably be never be faster than Usain Bolt.

If this fails. You can lose up to 2 pylons (possibly 3), 2 gateways, 4~6 zealots. So that is about 900~1200 mineral. You might be able to kill up to 4~10 probes, 2~3 zealots, and cost about 200~300 min worth of mining time. That is about 600~1100 minerals. So at best, you can get about 200 mineral worth of advantage, higher tech, and more probe count. But if it fails you can lose up to 600 minerals, putting you behind by quite a bit this early in the game. That is a high risk build, which is why I'm putting it as cheese.

Your maths doesn't accurately reflect the situation, especially your 200-300 of mining time. You think 4 probes lost costs him 200 minerals and 10 probes lost costs him 300 minerals?
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
MuffinDude
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States3837 Posts
December 28 2009 01:06 GMT
#123
On December 28 2009 10:03 KwarK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 28 2009 09:58 MuffinDude wrote:
On December 28 2009 09:51 KwarK wrote:
Yeah, right next to where I said I was better than Bisu or Stork.

You seem to bring in rank to this matter. You know higher rank doesn't mean you understand the game better, but maybe you just can perform better? For example in the 100 meter dash, a scientist can understand every little bits and pieces of how to maximize the effectiveness of your muscles, but he or she will probably be never be faster than Usain Bolt.

If this fails. You can lose up to 2 pylons (possibly 3), 2 gateways, 4~6 zealots. So that is about 900~1200 mineral. You might be able to kill up to 4~10 probes, 2~3 zealots, and cost about 200~300 min worth of mining time. That is about 600~1100 minerals. So at best, you can get about 200 mineral worth of advantage, higher tech, and more probe count. But if it fails you can lose up to 600 minerals, putting you behind by quite a bit this early in the game. That is a high risk build, which is why I'm putting it as cheese.

Your maths doesn't accurately reflect the situation, especially your 200-300 of mining time. You think 4 probes lost costs him 200 minerals and 10 probes lost costs him 300 minerals?

200~300 mining time when you have to probe drill and run probes away. The 4~10 probes comes into effect later, that's why I wrote that you will be ahead in probe count but at what costs?
Zerg can be so abusive sometimes | third member of the "loli is not a crime club" PM konadora to join!
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44330 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-12-28 01:12:25
December 28 2009 01:10 GMT
#124
On December 28 2009 10:06 MuffinDude wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 28 2009 10:03 KwarK wrote:
On December 28 2009 09:58 MuffinDude wrote:
On December 28 2009 09:51 KwarK wrote:
Yeah, right next to where I said I was better than Bisu or Stork.

You seem to bring in rank to this matter. You know higher rank doesn't mean you understand the game better, but maybe you just can perform better? For example in the 100 meter dash, a scientist can understand every little bits and pieces of how to maximize the effectiveness of your muscles, but he or she will probably be never be faster than Usain Bolt.

If this fails. You can lose up to 2 pylons (possibly 3), 2 gateways, 4~6 zealots. So that is about 900~1200 mineral. You might be able to kill up to 4~10 probes, 2~3 zealots, and cost about 200~300 min worth of mining time. That is about 600~1100 minerals. So at best, you can get about 200 mineral worth of advantage, higher tech, and more probe count. But if it fails you can lose up to 600 minerals, putting you behind by quite a bit this early in the game. That is a high risk build, which is why I'm putting it as cheese.

Your maths doesn't accurately reflect the situation, especially your 200-300 of mining time. You think 4 probes lost costs him 200 minerals and 10 probes lost costs him 300 minerals?

200~300 mining time when you have to probe drill and run probes away. The 4~10 probes comes into effect later, that's why I wrote that you will be ahead in probe count but at what costs?

Also the situation when you make the 2 gates is when he's not already gone 2 gate himself (that's similar to him attacking shit with probes, it gives you a tech advantage rather than an economic advantage so you just take that advantage and go with it rather than 2 gate) which means your zealots will be out first which in turn means you will always have a zealot advantage (I believe I've mentioned this about 6 times already). Your losing 4-6 zealots (also a very low number, why would I lose control of my gateways after only 4 zealots? What do you think is attacking them when his zealots are busy mirroring mine?) for 2-3 kills is inaccuate.
It is extremely evident to me that you don't understand this build. Maybe you can't understand it. Maybe you don't have the micro or multitasking to manage it. But there is no way that if you have even zealot numbers (which you will) inside his base (where they are) he will be attacking your gateways. That much should be extremely obvious and yet does not occur to you. I'm trying to explain the concept of rain to a fish and I'm bored.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
MuffinDude
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States3837 Posts
December 28 2009 01:16 GMT
#125
On December 28 2009 10:10 KwarK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 28 2009 10:06 MuffinDude wrote:
On December 28 2009 10:03 KwarK wrote:
On December 28 2009 09:58 MuffinDude wrote:
On December 28 2009 09:51 KwarK wrote:
Yeah, right next to where I said I was better than Bisu or Stork.

You seem to bring in rank to this matter. You know higher rank doesn't mean you understand the game better, but maybe you just can perform better? For example in the 100 meter dash, a scientist can understand every little bits and pieces of how to maximize the effectiveness of your muscles, but he or she will probably be never be faster than Usain Bolt.

If this fails. You can lose up to 2 pylons (possibly 3), 2 gateways, 4~6 zealots. So that is about 900~1200 mineral. You might be able to kill up to 4~10 probes, 2~3 zealots, and cost about 200~300 min worth of mining time. That is about 600~1100 minerals. So at best, you can get about 200 mineral worth of advantage, higher tech, and more probe count. But if it fails you can lose up to 600 minerals, putting you behind by quite a bit this early in the game. That is a high risk build, which is why I'm putting it as cheese.

Your maths doesn't accurately reflect the situation, especially your 200-300 of mining time. You think 4 probes lost costs him 200 minerals and 10 probes lost costs him 300 minerals?

200~300 mining time when you have to probe drill and run probes away. The 4~10 probes comes into effect later, that's why I wrote that you will be ahead in probe count but at what costs?

Also the situation when you make the 2 gates is when he's not already gone 2 gate himself (that's similar to him attacking shit with probes, it gives you a tech advantage rather than an economic advantage so you just take that advantage and go with it rather than 2 gate) which means your zealots will be out first which in turn means you will always have a zealot advantage (I believe I've mentioned this about 6 times already). Your losing 4-6 zealots (also a very low number, why would I lose control of my gateways after only 4 zealots? What do you think is attacking them when his zealots are busy mirroring mine?) for 2-3 kills is inaccuate.
It is extremely evident to me that you don't understand this build. Maybe you can't understand it. Maybe you don't have the micro or multitasking to manage it. But there is no way that if you have even zealot numbers (which you will) inside his base (where they are) he will be attacking your gateways. That much should be extremely obvious and yet does not occur to you. I'm trying to explain the concept of rain to a fish and I'm bored.

Ok fine? You fine with having more zealot produced and losing a lot more, because stork did kill only about 8~10 probes in his game v best before it was driven away. If you include more zealots than stork would of lost more than just 900~1200 mineral. Maybe you don't understand that this will put you far behind if it fails. Its annoying because you're just assuming that this will work 100% of the time. From your explanations, its always it will work it will work it will work. Why don't you stop blabbering that it will work and think about what will happen if it doesn't work.
Zerg can be so abusive sometimes | third member of the "loli is not a crime club" PM konadora to join!
Glaucus
Profile Joined June 2009
479 Posts
December 28 2009 01:23 GMT
#126
I guess Kwark is ashamed of cheesing. He does go so far as to deliberately argue a losing argument with a D(?) ranked player just because of pride? Either that or a D rank player knows better than him.
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44330 Posts
December 28 2009 01:35 GMT
#127
Or I know a PvP build I use all the time better than a guy who never uses it at all but theorycrafts about it and am actually right? That might be the case.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
MuffinDude
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States3837 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-12-28 01:44:06
December 28 2009 01:39 GMT
#128
On December 28 2009 10:35 KwarK wrote:
Or I know a PvP build I use all the time better than a guy who never uses it at all but theorycrafts about it and am actually right? That might be the case.

The question is really a B player playing against random people on iccup can actually warrant this build as "not cheese." B is high rank, but hey its not A. And you're only one person.

And you still haven't answered to what happens if you don't disrupt their econ enough.
Zerg can be so abusive sometimes | third member of the "loli is not a crime club" PM konadora to join!
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44330 Posts
December 28 2009 01:44 GMT
#129
On December 28 2009 10:39 MuffinDude wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 28 2009 10:35 KwarK wrote:
Or I know a PvP build I use all the time better than a guy who never uses it at all but theorycrafts about it and am actually right? That might be the case.

The question is really a B player playing against random people on iccup can actually warrant this build as "not cheese." B is high rank, but hey its not A.

And you still haven't answered to what happens if you don't disrupt their econ enough.

Yes I have. Many, many times. Like when I said "What happens if you fast expand but don't mine". The assumption of this build is that against an opponent of equal skill you will disrupt their econ enough. If I used this build against a player who reacted optimally and outmicroed me significantly I'd be behind. If I used this build against a player who reacted optimally and microed poorly I'd be ahead. If we were of equal skill we'd be roughly even. As with any build. The assumption of the build is that you micro it competently, just as the assumption of 2 hat muta builds in ZvT is that you know how to muta harass. Obviously against a significantly better player you'll come out behind but that is the case with every build and is not a problem with the build but the execution.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
MuffinDude
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States3837 Posts
December 28 2009 01:50 GMT
#130
On December 28 2009 10:44 KwarK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 28 2009 10:39 MuffinDude wrote:
On December 28 2009 10:35 KwarK wrote:
Or I know a PvP build I use all the time better than a guy who never uses it at all but theorycrafts about it and am actually right? That might be the case.

The question is really a B player playing against random people on iccup can actually warrant this build as "not cheese." B is high rank, but hey its not A.

And you still haven't answered to what happens if you don't disrupt their econ enough.

Yes I have. Many, many times. Like when I said "What happens if you fast expand but don't mine". The assumption of this build is that against an opponent of equal skill you will disrupt their econ enough. If I used this build against a player who reacted optimally and outmicroed me significantly I'd be behind. If I used this build against a player who reacted optimally and microed poorly I'd be ahead. If we were of equal skill we'd be roughly even. As with any build. The assumption of the build is that you micro it competently, just as the assumption of 2 hat muta builds in ZvT is that you know how to muta harass. Obviously against a significantly better player you'll come out behind but that is the case with every build and is not a problem with the build but the execution.

Like I said many times, your example with expanding and mining is a terrible one since you have control over that and you don't have control over how many probes you kill. And we're not talking about doing this to people who are six ranks lower than you. We're talking about what will happen if we use it against competent players. You can compare this to 2 hatch muta, but risk is bigger than 2 hatch muta if you don't do enough damage because you are losing your food and production buildings with it. This is why I consider it as cheese.
Zerg can be so abusive sometimes | third member of the "loli is not a crime club" PM konadora to join!
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44330 Posts
December 28 2009 01:54 GMT
#131
On December 28 2009 10:50 MuffinDude wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 28 2009 10:44 KwarK wrote:
On December 28 2009 10:39 MuffinDude wrote:
On December 28 2009 10:35 KwarK wrote:
Or I know a PvP build I use all the time better than a guy who never uses it at all but theorycrafts about it and am actually right? That might be the case.

The question is really a B player playing against random people on iccup can actually warrant this build as "not cheese." B is high rank, but hey its not A.

And you still haven't answered to what happens if you don't disrupt their econ enough.

Yes I have. Many, many times. Like when I said "What happens if you fast expand but don't mine". The assumption of this build is that against an opponent of equal skill you will disrupt their econ enough. If I used this build against a player who reacted optimally and outmicroed me significantly I'd be behind. If I used this build against a player who reacted optimally and microed poorly I'd be ahead. If we were of equal skill we'd be roughly even. As with any build. The assumption of the build is that you micro it competently, just as the assumption of 2 hat muta builds in ZvT is that you know how to muta harass. Obviously against a significantly better player you'll come out behind but that is the case with every build and is not a problem with the build but the execution.

Like I said many times, your example with expanding and mining is a terrible one since you have control over that and you don't have control over how many probes you kill. And we're not talking about doing this to people who are six ranks lower than you. We're talking about what will happen if we use it against competent players. You can compare this to 2 hatch muta, but risk is bigger than 2 hatch muta if you don't do enough damage because you are losing your food and production buildings with it. This is why I consider it as cheese.

When I said I use this at B rank I didn't mean I use this at B rank while playing D ranks. I mean I use this against competent players. Just to clear that up. Also gateways are cheap. Protoss doesn't need to devote worker time to making them, you're only losing their mineral value and the time it takes to make them. I think you overestimate how bad that is. On destination you can slow them for ages on a ramp. On HBR if you're really concerned you can just wall the choke. On Peaks you can block with one zealot. It really doesn't take that long for an extra probe to pay for itself, or a dead probe to punish.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
MuffinDude
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States3837 Posts
December 28 2009 02:01 GMT
#132
On December 28 2009 10:54 KwarK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 28 2009 10:50 MuffinDude wrote:
On December 28 2009 10:44 KwarK wrote:
On December 28 2009 10:39 MuffinDude wrote:
On December 28 2009 10:35 KwarK wrote:
Or I know a PvP build I use all the time better than a guy who never uses it at all but theorycrafts about it and am actually right? That might be the case.

The question is really a B player playing against random people on iccup can actually warrant this build as "not cheese." B is high rank, but hey its not A.

And you still haven't answered to what happens if you don't disrupt their econ enough.

Yes I have. Many, many times. Like when I said "What happens if you fast expand but don't mine". The assumption of this build is that against an opponent of equal skill you will disrupt their econ enough. If I used this build against a player who reacted optimally and outmicroed me significantly I'd be behind. If I used this build against a player who reacted optimally and microed poorly I'd be ahead. If we were of equal skill we'd be roughly even. As with any build. The assumption of the build is that you micro it competently, just as the assumption of 2 hat muta builds in ZvT is that you know how to muta harass. Obviously against a significantly better player you'll come out behind but that is the case with every build and is not a problem with the build but the execution.

Like I said many times, your example with expanding and mining is a terrible one since you have control over that and you don't have control over how many probes you kill. And we're not talking about doing this to people who are six ranks lower than you. We're talking about what will happen if we use it against competent players. You can compare this to 2 hatch muta, but risk is bigger than 2 hatch muta if you don't do enough damage because you are losing your food and production buildings with it. This is why I consider it as cheese.

When I said I use this at B rank I didn't mean I use this at B rank while playing D ranks. I mean I use this against competent players. Just to clear that up. Also gateways are cheap. Protoss doesn't need to devote worker time to making them, you're only losing their mineral value and the time it takes to make them. I think you overestimate how bad that is. On destination you can slow them for ages on a ramp. On HBR if you're really concerned you can just wall the choke. On Peaks you can block with one zealot. It really doesn't take that long for an extra probe to pay for itself, or a dead probe to punish.

This is all true, but when you lose your pylons and gateways, think about this, do you even have enough food to make enough zealots to defend? You've been powering probes while you harass them to get the economic advantage and you just lost your pylons. If you say that you built more than one pylon in your base, then your attack would end really early because you will run out of pylons powering the gateway, and as a result it might of not done as much damage as you would of liked. Then while your supply blocked, he can power probes while attack you at the same time while you're waiting for the pylons to warp in. Its a pretty big risk to take.
Zerg can be so abusive sometimes | third member of the "loli is not a crime club" PM konadora to join!
ToN
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada245 Posts
December 28 2009 02:12 GMT
#133
On December 28 2009 11:01 MuffinDude wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 28 2009 10:54 KwarK wrote:
On December 28 2009 10:50 MuffinDude wrote:
On December 28 2009 10:44 KwarK wrote:
On December 28 2009 10:39 MuffinDude wrote:
On December 28 2009 10:35 KwarK wrote:
Or I know a PvP build I use all the time better than a guy who never uses it at all but theorycrafts about it and am actually right? That might be the case.

The question is really a B player playing against random people on iccup can actually warrant this build as "not cheese." B is high rank, but hey its not A.

And you still haven't answered to what happens if you don't disrupt their econ enough.

Yes I have. Many, many times. Like when I said "What happens if you fast expand but don't mine". The assumption of this build is that against an opponent of equal skill you will disrupt their econ enough. If I used this build against a player who reacted optimally and outmicroed me significantly I'd be behind. If I used this build against a player who reacted optimally and microed poorly I'd be ahead. If we were of equal skill we'd be roughly even. As with any build. The assumption of the build is that you micro it competently, just as the assumption of 2 hat muta builds in ZvT is that you know how to muta harass. Obviously against a significantly better player you'll come out behind but that is the case with every build and is not a problem with the build but the execution.

Like I said many times, your example with expanding and mining is a terrible one since you have control over that and you don't have control over how many probes you kill. And we're not talking about doing this to people who are six ranks lower than you. We're talking about what will happen if we use it against competent players. You can compare this to 2 hatch muta, but risk is bigger than 2 hatch muta if you don't do enough damage because you are losing your food and production buildings with it. This is why I consider it as cheese.

When I said I use this at B rank I didn't mean I use this at B rank while playing D ranks. I mean I use this against competent players. Just to clear that up. Also gateways are cheap. Protoss doesn't need to devote worker time to making them, you're only losing their mineral value and the time it takes to make them. I think you overestimate how bad that is. On destination you can slow them for ages on a ramp. On HBR if you're really concerned you can just wall the choke. On Peaks you can block with one zealot. It really doesn't take that long for an extra probe to pay for itself, or a dead probe to punish.

This is all true, but when you lose your pylons and gateways, think about this, do you even have enough food to make enough zealots to defend? You've been powering probes while you harass them to get the economic advantage and you just lost your pylons. If you say that you built more than one pylon in your base, then your attack would end really early because you will run out of pylons powering the gateway, and as a result it might of not done as much damage as you would of liked. Then while your supply blocked, he can power probes while attack you at the same time while you're waiting for the pylons to warp in. Its a pretty big risk to take.


I don't know about everything you said and how true it may be but the conclusion you came to is the one I believe kwark alluded to a few posts earlier....
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44330 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-12-28 02:18:34
December 28 2009 02:15 GMT
#134
On December 28 2009 11:01 MuffinDude wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 28 2009 10:54 KwarK wrote:
On December 28 2009 10:50 MuffinDude wrote:
On December 28 2009 10:44 KwarK wrote:
On December 28 2009 10:39 MuffinDude wrote:
On December 28 2009 10:35 KwarK wrote:
Or I know a PvP build I use all the time better than a guy who never uses it at all but theorycrafts about it and am actually right? That might be the case.

The question is really a B player playing against random people on iccup can actually warrant this build as "not cheese." B is high rank, but hey its not A.

And you still haven't answered to what happens if you don't disrupt their econ enough.

Yes I have. Many, many times. Like when I said "What happens if you fast expand but don't mine". The assumption of this build is that against an opponent of equal skill you will disrupt their econ enough. If I used this build against a player who reacted optimally and outmicroed me significantly I'd be behind. If I used this build against a player who reacted optimally and microed poorly I'd be ahead. If we were of equal skill we'd be roughly even. As with any build. The assumption of the build is that you micro it competently, just as the assumption of 2 hat muta builds in ZvT is that you know how to muta harass. Obviously against a significantly better player you'll come out behind but that is the case with every build and is not a problem with the build but the execution.

Like I said many times, your example with expanding and mining is a terrible one since you have control over that and you don't have control over how many probes you kill. And we're not talking about doing this to people who are six ranks lower than you. We're talking about what will happen if we use it against competent players. You can compare this to 2 hatch muta, but risk is bigger than 2 hatch muta if you don't do enough damage because you are losing your food and production buildings with it. This is why I consider it as cheese.

When I said I use this at B rank I didn't mean I use this at B rank while playing D ranks. I mean I use this against competent players. Just to clear that up. Also gateways are cheap. Protoss doesn't need to devote worker time to making them, you're only losing their mineral value and the time it takes to make them. I think you overestimate how bad that is. On destination you can slow them for ages on a ramp. On HBR if you're really concerned you can just wall the choke. On Peaks you can block with one zealot. It really doesn't take that long for an extra probe to pay for itself, or a dead probe to punish.

This is all true, but when you lose your pylons and gateways, think about this, do you even have enough food to make enough zealots to defend? You've been powering probes while you harass them to get the economic advantage and you just lost your pylons. If you say that you built more than one pylon in your base, then your attack would end really early because you will run out of pylons powering the gateway, and as a result it might of not done as much damage as you would of liked. Then while your supply blocked, he can power probes while attack you at the same time while you're waiting for the pylons to warp in. Its a pretty big risk to take.

When managing psi I take into account pylons I expect to lose and rebuild them preemptively. This is because I am a good player. I don't get psi blocked early game.

What you're trying to say is that if the player doing it is a noob and makes a bunch of stupid mistakes then it might not work. I really don't see how that's a fair criticism of any build. I think we're again going back to you simply not having the level to understand things like seeing your pylon is under attack and making a new one before you get told to.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
MuffinDude
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States3837 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-12-28 02:26:35
December 28 2009 02:21 GMT
#135
On December 28 2009 11:15 KwarK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 28 2009 11:01 MuffinDude wrote:
On December 28 2009 10:54 KwarK wrote:
On December 28 2009 10:50 MuffinDude wrote:
On December 28 2009 10:44 KwarK wrote:
On December 28 2009 10:39 MuffinDude wrote:
On December 28 2009 10:35 KwarK wrote:
Or I know a PvP build I use all the time better than a guy who never uses it at all but theorycrafts about it and am actually right? That might be the case.

The question is really a B player playing against random people on iccup can actually warrant this build as "not cheese." B is high rank, but hey its not A.

And you still haven't answered to what happens if you don't disrupt their econ enough.

Yes I have. Many, many times. Like when I said "What happens if you fast expand but don't mine". The assumption of this build is that against an opponent of equal skill you will disrupt their econ enough. If I used this build against a player who reacted optimally and outmicroed me significantly I'd be behind. If I used this build against a player who reacted optimally and microed poorly I'd be ahead. If we were of equal skill we'd be roughly even. As with any build. The assumption of the build is that you micro it competently, just as the assumption of 2 hat muta builds in ZvT is that you know how to muta harass. Obviously against a significantly better player you'll come out behind but that is the case with every build and is not a problem with the build but the execution.

Like I said many times, your example with expanding and mining is a terrible one since you have control over that and you don't have control over how many probes you kill. And we're not talking about doing this to people who are six ranks lower than you. We're talking about what will happen if we use it against competent players. You can compare this to 2 hatch muta, but risk is bigger than 2 hatch muta if you don't do enough damage because you are losing your food and production buildings with it. This is why I consider it as cheese.

When I said I use this at B rank I didn't mean I use this at B rank while playing D ranks. I mean I use this against competent players. Just to clear that up. Also gateways are cheap. Protoss doesn't need to devote worker time to making them, you're only losing their mineral value and the time it takes to make them. I think you overestimate how bad that is. On destination you can slow them for ages on a ramp. On HBR if you're really concerned you can just wall the choke. On Peaks you can block with one zealot. It really doesn't take that long for an extra probe to pay for itself, or a dead probe to punish.

This is all true, but when you lose your pylons and gateways, think about this, do you even have enough food to make enough zealots to defend? You've been powering probes while you harass them to get the economic advantage and you just lost your pylons. If you say that you built more than one pylon in your base, then your attack would end really early because you will run out of pylons powering the gateway, and as a result it might of not done as much damage as you would of liked. Then while your supply blocked, he can power probes while attack you at the same time while you're waiting for the pylons to warp in. Its a pretty big risk to take.

When managing psi I take into account pylons I expect to lose and rebuild them preemptively. This is because I am a good player. I don't get psi blocked early game.

What you're trying to say is that if the player doing it is a noob and makes a bunch of stupid mistakes then it might not work. I really don't see how that's a fair criticism of any build. I think we're again going back to you simply not having the level to understand things like seeing your pylon is under attack and making a new one before you get told to.

I believe this is a legitimate concern as you are losing pylons and have to spend 100 more minerals remaking it. Sure you rebuild them preemptively, but can an economy from an early game aggression build like this build actually keep up with all the probe/gateway/pylon/zealot production? You're bound to hit max psi couple times or if you don't, then you'll probably end up with less zealots or something.

Now while he uses minerals to remake probes, you have to use minerals to remake pylons, so the damage of him losing probes gets evened out with the pylons you lose.
Zerg can be so abusive sometimes | third member of the "loli is not a crime club" PM konadora to join!
ToN
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada245 Posts
December 28 2009 02:22 GMT
#136
So too summarize kwarks opinion's on the matter I think were basically that its "risky" in the sense that the probability of screwing things up is higher then playing normally. Hence better players generally wouldn't use it because it would be "safer" to play standard and the worse player wouldn't use it because his micro would be worse. Though I suppose there are exceptions this is basically what it boils down to?
ToN
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada245 Posts
December 28 2009 02:24 GMT
#137
On December 28 2009 11:21 MuffinDude wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 28 2009 11:15 KwarK wrote:
On December 28 2009 11:01 MuffinDude wrote:
On December 28 2009 10:54 KwarK wrote:
On December 28 2009 10:50 MuffinDude wrote:
On December 28 2009 10:44 KwarK wrote:
On December 28 2009 10:39 MuffinDude wrote:
On December 28 2009 10:35 KwarK wrote:
Or I know a PvP build I use all the time better than a guy who never uses it at all but theorycrafts about it and am actually right? That might be the case.

The question is really a B player playing against random people on iccup can actually warrant this build as "not cheese." B is high rank, but hey its not A.

And you still haven't answered to what happens if you don't disrupt their econ enough.

Yes I have. Many, many times. Like when I said "What happens if you fast expand but don't mine". The assumption of this build is that against an opponent of equal skill you will disrupt their econ enough. If I used this build against a player who reacted optimally and outmicroed me significantly I'd be behind. If I used this build against a player who reacted optimally and microed poorly I'd be ahead. If we were of equal skill we'd be roughly even. As with any build. The assumption of the build is that you micro it competently, just as the assumption of 2 hat muta builds in ZvT is that you know how to muta harass. Obviously against a significantly better player you'll come out behind but that is the case with every build and is not a problem with the build but the execution.

Like I said many times, your example with expanding and mining is a terrible one since you have control over that and you don't have control over how many probes you kill. And we're not talking about doing this to people who are six ranks lower than you. We're talking about what will happen if we use it against competent players. You can compare this to 2 hatch muta, but risk is bigger than 2 hatch muta if you don't do enough damage because you are losing your food and production buildings with it. This is why I consider it as cheese.

When I said I use this at B rank I didn't mean I use this at B rank while playing D ranks. I mean I use this against competent players. Just to clear that up. Also gateways are cheap. Protoss doesn't need to devote worker time to making them, you're only losing their mineral value and the time it takes to make them. I think you overestimate how bad that is. On destination you can slow them for ages on a ramp. On HBR if you're really concerned you can just wall the choke. On Peaks you can block with one zealot. It really doesn't take that long for an extra probe to pay for itself, or a dead probe to punish.

This is all true, but when you lose your pylons and gateways, think about this, do you even have enough food to make enough zealots to defend? You've been powering probes while you harass them to get the economic advantage and you just lost your pylons. If you say that you built more than one pylon in your base, then your attack would end really early because you will run out of pylons powering the gateway, and as a result it might of not done as much damage as you would of liked. Then while your supply blocked, he can power probes while attack you at the same time while you're waiting for the pylons to warp in. Its a pretty big risk to take.

When managing psi I take into account pylons I expect to lose and rebuild them preemptively. This is because I am a good player. I don't get psi blocked early game.

What you're trying to say is that if the player doing it is a noob and makes a bunch of stupid mistakes then it might not work. I really don't see how that's a fair criticism of any build. I think we're again going back to you simply not having the level to understand things like seeing your pylon is under attack and making a new one before you get told to.

I believe this is a legitimate concern as you are losing pylons and have to spend 100 more minerals remaking it. Sure you rebuild them preemptively, but can an economy from an early game aggression build like this build actually keep up with all the probe/gateway/pylon/zealot production? You're bound to hit max psi couple times or if you don't, then you'll probably end up with less zealots or something.


Muffin this is pure speculation however, kwark is telling you from the perspective of a b rank player that it can work. So unless you have some hard evidence for your case I'm not sure if you can really say these type of things. If you really want to go this indepth this conversation should be moved to analysis of some hard evidence such as replays maybe?
MuffinDude
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States3837 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-12-28 02:31:12
December 28 2009 02:29 GMT
#138
On December 28 2009 11:24 ToN wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 28 2009 11:21 MuffinDude wrote:
On December 28 2009 11:15 KwarK wrote:
On December 28 2009 11:01 MuffinDude wrote:
On December 28 2009 10:54 KwarK wrote:
On December 28 2009 10:50 MuffinDude wrote:
On December 28 2009 10:44 KwarK wrote:
On December 28 2009 10:39 MuffinDude wrote:
On December 28 2009 10:35 KwarK wrote:
Or I know a PvP build I use all the time better than a guy who never uses it at all but theorycrafts about it and am actually right? That might be the case.

The question is really a B player playing against random people on iccup can actually warrant this build as "not cheese." B is high rank, but hey its not A.

And you still haven't answered to what happens if you don't disrupt their econ enough.

Yes I have. Many, many times. Like when I said "What happens if you fast expand but don't mine". The assumption of this build is that against an opponent of equal skill you will disrupt their econ enough. If I used this build against a player who reacted optimally and outmicroed me significantly I'd be behind. If I used this build against a player who reacted optimally and microed poorly I'd be ahead. If we were of equal skill we'd be roughly even. As with any build. The assumption of the build is that you micro it competently, just as the assumption of 2 hat muta builds in ZvT is that you know how to muta harass. Obviously against a significantly better player you'll come out behind but that is the case with every build and is not a problem with the build but the execution.

Like I said many times, your example with expanding and mining is a terrible one since you have control over that and you don't have control over how many probes you kill. And we're not talking about doing this to people who are six ranks lower than you. We're talking about what will happen if we use it against competent players. You can compare this to 2 hatch muta, but risk is bigger than 2 hatch muta if you don't do enough damage because you are losing your food and production buildings with it. This is why I consider it as cheese.

When I said I use this at B rank I didn't mean I use this at B rank while playing D ranks. I mean I use this against competent players. Just to clear that up. Also gateways are cheap. Protoss doesn't need to devote worker time to making them, you're only losing their mineral value and the time it takes to make them. I think you overestimate how bad that is. On destination you can slow them for ages on a ramp. On HBR if you're really concerned you can just wall the choke. On Peaks you can block with one zealot. It really doesn't take that long for an extra probe to pay for itself, or a dead probe to punish.

This is all true, but when you lose your pylons and gateways, think about this, do you even have enough food to make enough zealots to defend? You've been powering probes while you harass them to get the economic advantage and you just lost your pylons. If you say that you built more than one pylon in your base, then your attack would end really early because you will run out of pylons powering the gateway, and as a result it might of not done as much damage as you would of liked. Then while your supply blocked, he can power probes while attack you at the same time while you're waiting for the pylons to warp in. Its a pretty big risk to take.

When managing psi I take into account pylons I expect to lose and rebuild them preemptively. This is because I am a good player. I don't get psi blocked early game.

What you're trying to say is that if the player doing it is a noob and makes a bunch of stupid mistakes then it might not work. I really don't see how that's a fair criticism of any build. I think we're again going back to you simply not having the level to understand things like seeing your pylon is under attack and making a new one before you get told to.

I believe this is a legitimate concern as you are losing pylons and have to spend 100 more minerals remaking it. Sure you rebuild them preemptively, but can an economy from an early game aggression build like this build actually keep up with all the probe/gateway/pylon/zealot production? You're bound to hit max psi couple times or if you don't, then you'll probably end up with less zealots or something.


Muffin this is pure speculation however, kwark is telling you from the perspective of a b rank player that it can work. So unless you have some hard evidence for your case I'm not sure if you can really say these type of things. If you really want to go this indepth this conversation should be moved to analysis of some hard evidence such as replays maybe?

This might be pure speculation, but all kwark is saying is it will work it will work. He doesn't mention how often it works and what happens when he doesn't get the desirable result.

His argument is basically this: It works. It never fails. You're a retard who doesn't understand anything. So what I say counts and its not a cheese.

I just want to discuss what will happen if it fails, but hes avoiding it.
Zerg can be so abusive sometimes | third member of the "loli is not a crime club" PM konadora to join!
ToN
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada245 Posts
December 28 2009 02:35 GMT
#139
Indeed then reason I value his reasoning over yours is that he allegedly uses this build frequently and is ranked quite higher then you. However I feel that you case can still be made but needs to have so hard evidence that the result isn't desirable. If kwark would be so kind to give a few replays of it they could be analyzed to prove these things but unfortunately your case cannot be proven unless performed in actuality. Basically if he does give us replays you can still point out apparent holes in his play but we would need to see them consistently exploited for it to be valid. Also there comes the problem of skill level whereas lesser builds can still seem better when performed by players of higher calibur and vice versa. However imo we can't come to a true definate decision on these things except "it works" or "it doesn't work". This is all over the play and totally my opinion any questions and I'll try to elaborate more on what I mean.
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44330 Posts
December 28 2009 02:37 GMT
#140
On December 28 2009 11:21 MuffinDude wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 28 2009 11:15 KwarK wrote:
On December 28 2009 11:01 MuffinDude wrote:
On December 28 2009 10:54 KwarK wrote:
On December 28 2009 10:50 MuffinDude wrote:
On December 28 2009 10:44 KwarK wrote:
On December 28 2009 10:39 MuffinDude wrote:
On December 28 2009 10:35 KwarK wrote:
Or I know a PvP build I use all the time better than a guy who never uses it at all but theorycrafts about it and am actually right? That might be the case.

The question is really a B player playing against random people on iccup can actually warrant this build as "not cheese." B is high rank, but hey its not A.

And you still haven't answered to what happens if you don't disrupt their econ enough.

Yes I have. Many, many times. Like when I said "What happens if you fast expand but don't mine". The assumption of this build is that against an opponent of equal skill you will disrupt their econ enough. If I used this build against a player who reacted optimally and outmicroed me significantly I'd be behind. If I used this build against a player who reacted optimally and microed poorly I'd be ahead. If we were of equal skill we'd be roughly even. As with any build. The assumption of the build is that you micro it competently, just as the assumption of 2 hat muta builds in ZvT is that you know how to muta harass. Obviously against a significantly better player you'll come out behind but that is the case with every build and is not a problem with the build but the execution.

Like I said many times, your example with expanding and mining is a terrible one since you have control over that and you don't have control over how many probes you kill. And we're not talking about doing this to people who are six ranks lower than you. We're talking about what will happen if we use it against competent players. You can compare this to 2 hatch muta, but risk is bigger than 2 hatch muta if you don't do enough damage because you are losing your food and production buildings with it. This is why I consider it as cheese.

When I said I use this at B rank I didn't mean I use this at B rank while playing D ranks. I mean I use this against competent players. Just to clear that up. Also gateways are cheap. Protoss doesn't need to devote worker time to making them, you're only losing their mineral value and the time it takes to make them. I think you overestimate how bad that is. On destination you can slow them for ages on a ramp. On HBR if you're really concerned you can just wall the choke. On Peaks you can block with one zealot. It really doesn't take that long for an extra probe to pay for itself, or a dead probe to punish.

This is all true, but when you lose your pylons and gateways, think about this, do you even have enough food to make enough zealots to defend? You've been powering probes while you harass them to get the economic advantage and you just lost your pylons. If you say that you built more than one pylon in your base, then your attack would end really early because you will run out of pylons powering the gateway, and as a result it might of not done as much damage as you would of liked. Then while your supply blocked, he can power probes while attack you at the same time while you're waiting for the pylons to warp in. Its a pretty big risk to take.

When managing psi I take into account pylons I expect to lose and rebuild them preemptively. This is because I am a good player. I don't get psi blocked early game.

What you're trying to say is that if the player doing it is a noob and makes a bunch of stupid mistakes then it might not work. I really don't see how that's a fair criticism of any build. I think we're again going back to you simply not having the level to understand things like seeing your pylon is under attack and making a new one before you get told to.

I believe this is a legitimate concern as you are losing pylons and have to spend 100 more minerals remaking it. Sure you rebuild them preemptively, but can an economy from an early game aggression build like this build actually keep up with all the probe/gateway/pylon/zealot production? You're bound to hit max psi couple times or if you don't, then you'll probably end up with less zealots or something.

Now while he uses minerals to remake probes, you have to use minerals to remake pylons, so the damage of him losing probes gets evened out with the pylons you lose.

You have enough minerals to make probes and pylons. Your probe production never stops and therefore you maintain your probe difference. And over time that is far, far more valuable than lost pylons and gateways.
You're phrasing your theorycrafting as questions. The answer is yes, the build can keep up with it. Remember he's allowed to have around 3 more zealots than you without you being in any trouble, just from travel time. More if you have a ramp secured. With a secure ramp you have 3 zealots at the top attacking 2 of his you can hold for ages. And ages + better probe count = better zealot count.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 32m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech145
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 36569
Shuttle 2463
Bisu 1039
Horang2 947
Jaedong 867
Light 441
BeSt 365
firebathero 333
Mini 330
Hyuk 287
[ Show more ]
Stork 272
actioN 266
Soma 237
EffOrt 232
Zeus 202
ggaemo 197
Soulkey 162
Last 145
Snow 122
Leta 118
ZerO 118
Pusan 83
Rush 76
Killer 74
hero 51
Mong 44
Sharp 40
Mind 36
Shinee 30
Shine 27
Aegong 27
Bale 24
ToSsGirL 23
soO 20
Sexy 19
PianO 19
Trap 17
Yoon 16
Free 14
sorry 13
Terrorterran 12
HiyA 10
zelot 10
JulyZerg 9
Noble 8
ajuk12(nOOB) 6
Icarus 5
Dota 2
Gorgc3942
qojqva1677
Dendi1010
League of Legends
Reynor92
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1282
x6flipin325
markeloff103
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1929
crisheroes930
Other Games
gofns33636
singsing2163
B2W.Neo699
XBOCT361
DeMusliM188
Livibee180
XaKoH 152
Mlord151
Liquid`LucifroN121
ArmadaUGS113
Mew2King87
QueenE65
Chillindude13
Railgan10
ZerO(Twitch)6
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream204
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 8
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 61
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2128
• TFBlade639
Other Games
• WagamamaTV197
Upcoming Events
OSC
32m
Stellar Fest
32m
Serral vs herO
Solar vs Shino
Maru vs Clem
SHIN vs GgMaChine
OSC
11h 32m
Stellar Fest
1d
CranKy Ducklings
1d 21h
Online Event
1d 22h
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.