• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:30
CEST 09:30
KST 16:30
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War435.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror TL Sidebar missing streams Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9733 users

iloveoov: The Greatest Genius - Page 15

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 13 14 15 16 17 Next All
hacklebeast
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5090 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-12 21:57:47
February 12 2011 21:56 GMT
#281
On February 13 2011 06:11 IntoTheheart wrote:
FanTaSy vs. Stork in 2008 and 2011...

Isn't that just the heir of the BoxeR lineage vs. the heir of the yellOw lineage..? Stork's no Nal_rA... but I would love to see him get the Silver Badge...

BoxeR hand-picked oov for a reason, and I guess that this was it. oov's simply the deepest-impacting Terran in history. Just like Shark for Zerg and... uh. Don't know any Protoss equivalents really. Maybe rA.


Part of what makes oov so great is that there is no one that comes close to his accomplishments both as a player and a coach.

But if we were to look for counterparts:

KIMDONGWOO is a good choice for zerg (although he did nothing as a player in comparison). Far protoss the outlook is even worse. I guess Kingdom. He at least won one title, and mentored two of the dragons (even if it was for only a little while).
Protoss: Best, Paralyze, Jangbi, Nal_Ra || Terran: Oov, Boxer, Fantasy, Hiya|| Zerg: Yellow, Zero
Mortality
Profile Blog Joined December 2005
United States4790 Posts
February 12 2011 22:40 GMT
#282
On February 13 2011 06:11 IntoTheheart wrote:
FanTaSy vs. Stork in 2008 and 2011...

Isn't that just the heir of the BoxeR lineage vs. the heir of the yellOw lineage..? Stork's no Nal_rA... but I would love to see him get the Silver Badge...

BoxeR hand-picked oov for a reason, and I guess that this was it. oov's simply the deepest-impacting Terran in history. Just like Shark for Zerg and... uh. Don't know any Protoss equivalents really. Maybe rA.


Stork never passed under Yellow's tutelage, so although he is a part of the Kong line, I wouldn't call him Yellow's heir.

And I love Ra, but Stork has impressed me to that level. Stork is the only top player of today to have bridged the generational gap. That is, he was a top player even before Savior became bonjwa. Surviving and remaining a top player across generations is really hard to do in a game that changes this much for a number of reasons.

But I'm glad Fantasy won. He deserved a gold medal to his name and now he's got one.
Even though this Proleague bullshit has been completely bogus, I really, really, really do not see how Khan can lose this. I swear I will kill myself if they do. - nesix before KHAN lost to eNature
StarStruck
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
25339 Posts
February 12 2011 22:59 GMT
#283
``Stork is the only top player of today to have bridged the generational gap.``

I would say JulyZerg and NaDa have by the same token as well.
Ver
Profile Joined October 2008
United States2186 Posts
February 13 2011 07:28 GMT
#284
Savior has influenced Zerg more than oov has Terran. oov has innovated much more than anyone yes, but the presence of Boxer/Nada/Midas/Flash have diluted the impact of oov's creations. Terran would still be awesome even without oov. With oov they are utter monsters. However, for Zerg, Savior completely changed everything.

Pre-Savior titles (2000-2005):


P: 8
T: 17
Z: 3

3/28 (11%)


Savior and Beyond (2005-Present):


P: 4
T: 6
Z: 15

15/25 (60%)


This is not 100% updated but I don't know when I did it and don't want to relook at everything. Suffice to say if you add a few more T titles and 1 or 2 more Z titles it still looks absurd.

Protoss hasn't really had any players of their caliber: the closest are Kingdom rA Reach and Stork but none are anywhere remotely comparable in ability or impact. I feel like the lack of such a dominant thinker has severely crippled Protoss evolution their entire history and is why they are so underrepresented title wise.
Liquipedia
nodule
Profile Joined February 2008
Canada931 Posts
February 13 2011 07:32 GMT
#285
Not all of that is due to Saviour, of course. You think July and Jaedong didn't have some responsibility for that?
TwoToneTerran
Profile Joined March 2009
United States8841 Posts
February 13 2011 07:40 GMT
#286
On February 13 2011 16:32 nodule wrote:
Not all of that is due to Saviour, of course. You think July and Jaedong didn't have some responsibility for that?


Jaedong is a post-savior zerg who was undoubtedly influenced by him, especially his ZvT. His point was how savior innovated the game to bring Zerg, the most disenfranchised race, to the most dominant race afterwards.
Remember Violet.
Ver
Profile Joined October 2008
United States2186 Posts
February 13 2011 07:49 GMT
#287
July's major achievements were counted in the first phase. He and Gorush did great and everyone else still sucked. It was only after Savior that Zergs actually had some idea of what they are doing.

Savior changed how Zergs thought about the game and approached matchups, particularly ZvT. It's no coincidence that all these one-shot wonder Zergs started winning titles after him and none before him.
Liquipedia
theconartist
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
62 Posts
May 25 2011 16:39 GMT
#288
Re-read this article after seeing the new one about savior... best two posts on all of teamliquid.

also a bump for all the newbies who never saw this
<Patch> You never even hit A, tca <Patch> QQ, sounds like you just suck.
Ideas
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
United States8180 Posts
August 03 2011 04:34 GMT
#289
needs another bump in light of recent announcement of his retirement. truly one of, of not the greatest (considering his influence as a coach), force in brood war of all time.
Free Palestine
bjornkavist
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Canada1235 Posts
August 03 2011 04:58 GMT
#290
Awesome Article, I agree Oov doesn't get enough credit sometimes. Probably one of my fave players of all time
https://soundcloud.com/bbols
TwoToneTerran
Profile Joined March 2009
United States8841 Posts
August 03 2011 05:02 GMT
#291
Oov gets more credit than any other player for developing broodwar.

And he deserves every bit of it.
Remember Violet.
Taekwon
Profile Joined May 2010
United States8155 Posts
August 03 2011 05:02 GMT
#292
The pain...
▲ ▲ ▲
XXGeneration
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States625 Posts
August 03 2011 05:32 GMT
#293
Oov, one of the best.

You will be missed.
"I was so surprised when I first played StarCraft 2. I couldn't believe that such an easy game exists... I guess the best way to attract people these days is to make things easy and simple." -Midas
SilverSkyLark
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
Philippines8437 Posts
August 03 2011 05:41 GMT
#294
We better bump the FE too.
"If i lost an arm, I would play w3." -IntoTheWow || "Member of Hyuk Hyuk Hyuk cafe. He's the next Jaedong, baby!"
aphex1071
Profile Joined August 2011
United States5 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-03 05:45:25
August 03 2011 05:45 GMT
#295
oov was always my favorite player since watching him stomp yellow 3-0 in his first MSL (while wearing that white glove)
Rdm3
Profile Joined August 2011
United States24 Posts
August 03 2011 05:56 GMT
#296
Long Live the cheater Terran
테란 파이팅
Probe1
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States17920 Posts
August 03 2011 06:00 GMT
#297
When I got to the end .. I couldn't stop smiling at the brilliance of someone I never knew. The longer I'm on TL the longer I wish I hadn't moved on to CS. I wish I had stayed with bw. I would have known some of you but I would have seen the history that I watch SC2 matches built upon.

I would have been there.

I can't turn back time but reading this..

I still have that smile on my face.

I don't know what SilverSkyLark is referring to but I hope someone bumps it. This has been educational and I feel .. a little less like a scrub writing a post in a forum I don't feel like I belong in!
우정호 KT_VIOLET 1988 - 2012 While we are postponing, life speeds by
SilverSkyLark
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
Philippines8437 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-03 06:45:25
August 03 2011 06:38 GMT
#298
On August 03 2011 15:00 Probe1 wrote:
When I got to the end .. I couldn't stop smiling at the brilliance of someone I never knew. The longer I'm on TL the longer I wish I hadn't moved on to CS. I wish I had stayed with bw. I would have known some of you but I would have seen the history that I watch SC2 matches built upon.

I would have been there.

I can't turn back time but reading this..

I still have that smile on my face.

I don't know what SilverSkyLark is referring to but I hope someone bumps it. This has been educational and I feel .. a little less like a scrub writing a post in a forum I don't feel like I belong in!

I Loved Victory pt1.
I Loved Victory pt2.

apparently bumping posts from the Final Edits does not do make it showup anywhere in the sidebar..
"If i lost an arm, I would play w3." -IntoTheWow || "Member of Hyuk Hyuk Hyuk cafe. He's the next Jaedong, baby!"
Probe1
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States17920 Posts
August 03 2011 06:57 GMT
#299
At least one new person read them. Thank you
우정호 KT_VIOLET 1988 - 2012 While we are postponing, life speeds by
endy
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Switzerland8970 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-03 07:04:18
August 03 2011 07:02 GMT
#300
There's only one thing to say, I love Iloveoov.
I hope he will show his usual brilliance for PL Finals.


On August 03 2011 15:38 SilverSkyLark wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 03 2011 15:00 Probe1 wrote:
When I got to the end .. I couldn't stop smiling at the brilliance of someone I never knew. The longer I'm on TL the longer I wish I hadn't moved on to CS. I wish I had stayed with bw. I would have known some of you but I would have seen the history that I watch SC2 matches built upon.

I would have been there.

I can't turn back time but reading this..

I still have that smile on my face.

I don't know what SilverSkyLark is referring to but I hope someone bumps it. This has been educational and I feel .. a little less like a scrub writing a post in a forum I don't feel like I belong in!

I Loved Victory pt1.
I Loved Victory pt2.

apparently bumping posts from the Final Edits does not do make it showup anywhere in the sidebar..


Which is normal because the final edit section in the side bar is not the final edit forums. It's the whole final edit portal.
ॐ
Prev 1 13 14 15 16 17 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 30m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Free 1473
BeSt 286
Soulkey 152
Soma 145
sorry 116
Mind 71
Bale 26
ZergMaN 14
ajuk12(nOOB) 13
Shuttle 0
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm186
League of Legends
JimRising 603
Counter-Strike
edward85
Other Games
summit1g9173
Coldzera 694
WinterStarcraft688
C9.Mang0264
Sick178
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick705
BasetradeTV189
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2234
Other Games
• Shiphtur522
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
2h 30m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
Online Event
4h 30m
AI Arena Tournament
9h 30m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
11h 30m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 2h
Patches Events
1d 7h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 11h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 11h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.