Hey everyone, this is the official sign-up thread for CPL Season 5! For those of you who don't know, the Coach Pupil League is a StarCraft community designed to help lower to mid level players improve in a competitive team league format. Every season groups of players team up under the tutelage of experienced coaches and compete against each other over several weeks before entering into the playoffs, and eventually a finals! If you'd like more information you can always check out our Liqupedia pages or view games from previous seasons on the CPL YouTube Channel. With no minimum requirement to join, the CPL is a great place to learn the game and get your start at StarCraft. If you already have some BroodWar experience but not sure how to improve next, it's the perfect place to take your game to the next level!
CPL Season 4 liquipedia: Coach Pupil League S4
CPL YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9KLft_fTBbpqQGI_fLlCqw
Join the CPL Discord to get involved in the league: https://discord.gg/6QEXQ8d
**IMPORTANT NOTE ON FORMAT CHANGES/NEW ROLE**
For those of you that have been around the league for awhile, you probably know one of the biggest problems we face in CPL is too many players with not enough coaches – or inactive coaches which makes it harder for some players to get more out of CPL. Although many teams have had positive experiences in the past, others have struggled. While we do have to remember that everyone that helps out in CPL is volunteering their own time to the community and have other commitments, we can still try new things to help with the overall concept of the league. Our hope in the past was always a trickle down effect, Coaches spend time helping Tier 1's, Tier 1's help the Tier 2's improve etc.. and while this has definitely happened for some teams.. it hasn't always been the case with every team. So with that said I'd like to introduce a new role for this season, it will be unique to the previous roles and way CPL has been run in the past: ASSISTANT COACH. What makes this role unique is it will serve as a bridge between Coach and Player. These players will still be able to participate in playing games (if they want to, in a different format TBD) and contributing to the success of their team in the league, but also receive coaching/help out the coaches with the newer and less experienced players on the team. There are also plans on changing how we keep track of team records.. but more on this later.
What an Assistant Coach can expect:
1. To work with/help the head coaches in anyway they can (coaching lower level players, running internal team events, submitting line-ups for their team etc..)
2. Play games in the league if they want to (Sign-up as a player, and mark YES to also being an Assistant Coach)
3. Are not required to play any games, and can just help out with coaching duties (Sign-Up specifically as an Assistant Coach, not as a player)
4a. In order to help incentivize more players helping out with Coaching.. Players that meet the requirments and participate in the role of being an Assistant Coach will be able to earn more points for their respective teams
4b. Players who are in the skill level range of an Assistant Coach, but do not want to have any Assistant Coach responsibilities will still be able to participate in games but will have a lesser impact on their team score.
What Coaches can expect:
1. To spend some time Coaching your team members for their matches.
2. All teams will have more than one coach to help with the time commitment, including the new Assistant Coaches.
3. Full autonomy in how they want to coach their players.
4. No requirements to handle team management (line-ups, substitutions, etc)
What Players can expect:
1. The opportunity to play up to one match a week vs an opponent of similar skill.
2. You do not have to participate every week.
3. You do not have to play at a specific time, but arranging to pre-play matches is up to you and your opponent.
4. Higher level players are expected to spend time assisting their team mates.
5. There are no minimum time requirements for participating, but the more you put into the CPL the more you get out of it!
If you want to sign up for season 5, please provide the following information in this thread:
1. StarCraft account name you will be using in CPL
2. Discord account you will be joining the discord with. ex. ~Medi~#1708 (Please use a discord screen name that is the same or similar as the StarCraft name you'll be playing on, this will help make things easier for everyone!)
3. Coach, Player, or Assistant Coach*
* Please read about format changes above for information on the new Assistant Coach role
3B. If you signed up as a Player, are you willing to take on an Assistant Coach role if you're at a high enough level (Yes/No)
4. Approximate MMR (if you haven't laddered on remastered you can use your old iccup rank/when that was, or best guess.)
5. Main Race/Matchups if race picker (Random is not allowed, but you can play a different race week-to-week if you wish)
6. (optional) If you have interest in volunteering for any admin work (team organization, liquipedia, casting, etc)
7. (optional) Any additional info such as if you have a couple players you'd like to play with or a certain team**.
**Please note that we can't guarantee anything as there are a number of factors that go into team creation.
Once again I'd like to remind everyone there is no minimum requirement to sign up, and this is a great place to learn, even if you've never played a game of BroodWar. Last season we had a soft cutoff of around 1900MMR for players, this will be subject to change this season depending partially on sign-ups and the addition of the Assistant Coach role which will consist of higher level players.
I look forward to seeing you around the league this season!