• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:21
CEST 10:21
KST 17:21
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon102Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10972 users

Starcraft Patch 1.17.0 (unannounced/discovered) - Page 10

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 8 9 10 All
Mod note: It is likely that this is an internal testing version not intended to be public yet. Battle.net reportedly does not work after patching, which indicates that it's not yet "released".
TheLordofAwesome
Profile Joined May 2014
Korea (South)2656 Posts
July 27 2016 21:00 GMT
#181
On July 28 2016 00:35 dcemuser wrote:
The disbelievers are cute, but their disbelief is understandable because this is information that isn't really -super- well known. I mean, it's nothing fancy, but it's just that scanning URLs via bruteforce isn't something that occurs to most people.

This is exactly how every fansite has scanned for new patches for years - this is how mmo-champion and wowhead detected new patches when Blizzard was on the old protocol. In fact, this is how Blizzard accidentally leaked the alpha for one of the WoW expansions, many years ago (and gave us a nice C&D for covering it, RIP).

You take a known real patch URL, say, the ftp.blizzard.com download link for 1.16, then you bruteforce various potential new numbers repeatedly (probably, [1-2].[1-2][0-9] with an optional a-z in this case) and spam eternally. Have the program send you an email when it gets something that isn't a 404/500.

Of course, this doesn't work anymore because of NGDP, Blizzard's new download protocol, which ensures that all URLs like this are hashed and basically unguessable. However, old games are not using that system (or even the system that existed before that, lol).

I'm actually mildly surprised that the SC community doesn't have a tool for doing this kind of scanning running on at least one PC.

This is a fantastic post. I did not know any of this.

What is Blizzard hashing now? Is it just taking the ending part of the download link (with the changing version numbers) and hashing that? Because if that's it, then it seems like it would still be easy to perform this type of scanning.
xboi209
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States1173 Posts
July 27 2016 21:53 GMT
#182
I've been editing the Liquipedia page for LatencyChanger the past few days. The change in 1.17.0 has been documented now. As you can see, the values for LAN games and server games are now the same, which is 2.
http://www.reddit.com/r/broodwar/
Dumbledore
Profile Joined April 2011
Sweden725 Posts
July 28 2016 05:44 GMT
#183
On July 28 2016 03:48 Shield wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2016 02:46 Valeranth wrote:
On July 28 2016 02:29 Shield wrote:
On July 27 2016 22:42 Dumbledore wrote:
On July 27 2016 08:20 Shield wrote:
On July 26 2016 18:09 bduddy wrote:
On July 26 2016 16:05 Shield wrote:
On July 26 2016 15:49 bduddy wrote:
If you people somehow think http://ftp.blizzard.com is a scam, then please, learn about how the Internet actually works before you spew any more of your "wisdom" here. The patch is 100% legit, although possibly not intended to be released yet. Enjoy your new palettes.


That's exactly why I'm skeptical because I know how the internet works. On the other hand, you don't. Go learn a little bit about spoof URLs, spoof e-mails, etc before you talk about internet security.
Because messing with email headers or adding a bunch of garbage to a URL is the same this as somehow hijacking an entire domain on blizzard.com. Right. Please stop talking before you really hurt someone. Having a single domain deal in multiple protocols is incredibly common and normal.

EDIT: typhoonius is completely correct, except I know that Firefox does support FTP, and Chrome probably does too although I never use it so I'm not sure.


Are you stupid or what? How can you hurt anyone? Please stop exaggerating.


Stop embarassing yourself and learn how domains work.


I know how domains work. Thanks very much. You missed the point.


Could you explain the point then? Right now it seems like you think it might be spoofed because of the ftp part despite it being a blizzard.com domain.


No, I don't think it's spoofed but it was part of my initial suspicions (I read about spoofed URLs later). When I said I'm skeptical exactly because I know how the internet works that was a general statement. Just because of how the internet can screw you such as man-in-the-middle-attack, IP address spoof, e-mail spoof, etc. While I'm not a network security guy, I'm a software engineer so I'm cautious what I do. Better safe than sorry. No need for some people to be assholes, really (I don't mean you specifically when I reply to your post).


You work as a software engineer but had to read up about spoofed URLs? I take it all you do is HCI design or something front-end then and nothing back-end or you would have had the know-how to not embarass yourself.
Have a nice day ;)
iPlaY.NettleS
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Australia4455 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-07-28 10:05:40
July 28 2016 09:52 GMT
#184
On July 27 2016 17:39 xboi209 wrote:
Report: Blizzard is looking to remove unused game protocols such as Local Area Network (IPX), Modem, and Direct Cable Connection. They're logging the total and monthly amount of games we play on each protocol.

Additional research has been published at BNETDocs.org.

I can see why they might remove modem but the other two protocols still could be useful for people running old machines in network on win 95 or 98.What is the justification for removing functional options? To make it somehow 'less confusing' for new players when selecting? I'm against it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7PvoI6gvQs
xboi209
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States1173 Posts
July 28 2016 10:02 GMT
#185
On July 28 2016 18:52 iPlaY.NettleS wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 27 2016 17:39 xboi209 wrote:
Report: Blizzard is looking to remove unused game protocols such as Local Area Network (IPX), Modem, and Direct Cable Connection. They're logging the total and monthly amount of games we play on each protocol.

Additional research has been published at BNETDocs.org.

I can see why they might remove modem but the other two protocols still could be useful for people running old machines in network on win 95 or 98.What is the justification for removing functional options? To make it somehow 'less confusing' for new players when selecting? I'm against it.

The oldest Windows OS that BW supports right now is Windows 2000 anyways, and I'm going to assume that even Windows 2000 support will be dropped because D2 already dropped it this year (someone should check if 1.17.0 even works on Windows 2000). They're looking to remove unused game protocols, so if there is a significant number of games played on a protocol, it seems as though the protocol will stay.
http://www.reddit.com/r/broodwar/
iPlaY.NettleS
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Australia4455 Posts
July 28 2016 10:11 GMT
#186
On July 28 2016 19:02 xboi209 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2016 18:52 iPlaY.NettleS wrote:
On July 27 2016 17:39 xboi209 wrote:
Report: Blizzard is looking to remove unused game protocols such as Local Area Network (IPX), Modem, and Direct Cable Connection. They're logging the total and monthly amount of games we play on each protocol.

Additional research has been published at BNETDocs.org.

I can see why they might remove modem but the other two protocols still could be useful for people running old machines in network on win 95 or 98.What is the justification for removing functional options? To make it somehow 'less confusing' for new players when selecting? I'm against it.

The oldest Windows OS that BW supports right now is Windows 2000 anyways, and I'm going to assume that even Windows 2000 support will be dropped because D2 already dropped it this year

OK thanks for the info i wasn't aware.
Certainly anyone still using DCC is running a retro PC network setup for mid-late 90s PC games.It's been well over a decade since i had a parallel port on my PC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7PvoI6gvQs
cpc
Profile Joined June 2011
Australia126 Posts
July 28 2016 12:16 GMT
#187
On July 28 2016 19:02 xboi209 wrote:
The oldest Windows OS that BW supports right now is Windows 2000 anyways, and I'm going to assume that even Windows 2000 support will be dropped because D2 already dropped it this year (someone should check if 1.17.0 even works on Windows 2000). They're looking to remove unused game protocols, so if there is a significant number of games played on a protocol, it seems as though the protocol will stay.


Just tested it and I can confirm that it won't run on 2000.

[image loading]
pebble444
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Italy2503 Posts
July 28 2016 20:54 GMT
#188
Hey i made a blog about this thread and then it was was closed down cause its only memes; check it out if you wanna have a laugh; its in the closed threads section
"Awaken my Child, and embrace the Glory that is your Birthright"
endy
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Switzerland8970 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-07-28 21:34:21
July 28 2016 21:33 GMT
#189
On July 27 2016 02:34 outscar wrote:
Time to test this on another "don't give a shit" Win10 laptop and find out difference. Still if changes are only those and not affecting game when playing on newer OS, I'm disappointed.

Show nested quote +
On July 26 2016 06:20 LaStScan wrote:
On July 26 2016 06:09 mca64Launcher_ wrote:
[image loading]


shit, mca64Launcher doesnt works anymore. Anyway thought that Blizzard will make more stuff in this patch. If someone is using win xp or win 7 and plays on iccup then this patch is useless


How did you patch? I couldn't patch.


Maybe it's because your BW IIRC using too many modifications, SC2 unit sounds, etc. Try on clean installation. EDIT: Apparently I checked log when error occured on mine too, it says I need to put BW (I deleted it) where I installed it before f.e. C:\Games. Also you can't install patch on iCCup (mini) version, need original full one.

Show nested quote +
On July 27 2016 02:35 IntoTheheart wrote:
On July 27 2016 02:34 outscar wrote:
Time to test this on another "don't give a shit" Win10 laptop and find out difference. Still if changes are only those and not affecting game when playing on newer OS, I'm disappointed.

If it does work and it's not too much work for you, mind uploading a video on the gameplay if the turn speeds feel different to you?



I'll try.

EDIT: Wow, this fucking patch is real deal. Battle.net rank icons are showing (you can connect to Fish but can't join games), I didn't sense stuttering and lag. THIS IS THE SHIT GUYS! Stop blaming OP.

EDIT2: Actually I couldn't record because laptop which I'm testing Win10 is little netbook which is intended for basic job thus got really bad VGA so graphic card doesn't allow to record - output is really laggy. But the difference is huge from 1.16.1. Everyone with Win10 should try out, only blind won't see comparison.

EDIT3: Also wanna point out that map FS isn't loading for some reason. So patch is still raw.


If it's true this is really awesome. I'm on Win8.1 and I can totally see the difference with WinXP. EffOrt was right to complain.
ॐ
dcemuser
Profile Joined August 2010
United States3248 Posts
July 29 2016 16:48 GMT
#190
On July 28 2016 06:00 TheLordofAwesome wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2016 00:35 dcemuser wrote:
The disbelievers are cute, but their disbelief is understandable because this is information that isn't really -super- well known. I mean, it's nothing fancy, but it's just that scanning URLs via bruteforce isn't something that occurs to most people.

This is exactly how every fansite has scanned for new patches for years - this is how mmo-champion and wowhead detected new patches when Blizzard was on the old protocol. In fact, this is how Blizzard accidentally leaked the alpha for one of the WoW expansions, many years ago (and gave us a nice C&D for covering it, RIP).

You take a known real patch URL, say, the ftp.blizzard.com download link for 1.16, then you bruteforce various potential new numbers repeatedly (probably, [1-2].[1-2][0-9] with an optional a-z in this case) and spam eternally. Have the program send you an email when it gets something that isn't a 404/500.

Of course, this doesn't work anymore because of NGDP, Blizzard's new download protocol, which ensures that all URLs like this are hashed and basically unguessable. However, old games are not using that system (or even the system that existed before that, lol).

I'm actually mildly surprised that the SC community doesn't have a tool for doing this kind of scanning running on at least one PC.

This is a fantastic post. I did not know any of this.

What is Blizzard hashing now? Is it just taking the ending part of the download link (with the changing version numbers) and hashing that? Because if that's it, then it seems like it would still be easy to perform this type of scanning.


They hash the file contents using MD5 and then post the file at its own MD5 as a URL, so, for example: http://blzddist1-a.akamaihd.net/tpr/wow/config/a5/f8/a5f8a23d3b71769d10071f0a092e3e3e is the CDN configuration (half of the configuration needed to install a game - the other half being the build configuration) for a recent WoW build.

The problem and why we can't bruteforce the MD5s by changing the strings in the text to the new expected values is that all of these configuration files themselves contain MD5s of other vital files. So, say for an instance, a new build is pushed, and that new build contains new archives. Now, in order to guess the MD5 of the CDN configuration, we're back to the same problem of having to guess an unknown MD5 (the one for the new or altered files, in order to add them to the old CDN configuration's text).

This method ensures that the files are basically unguessable before Blizzard posts their hashes publically.
Templarfreak
Profile Joined February 2012
United States39 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-08-07 07:56:56
August 07 2016 07:56 GMT
#191
There appears to be some undocumented changes. Protected maps will no longer work, saying it cannot read the scenario file. They've also added the modern Blizzard Error Reporter and a system survey program.

The increased turn rate also seems to have an impact on the economy, but I'm not too sure yet.
Uuh.
xboi209
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States1173 Posts
August 07 2016 08:13 GMT
#192
On August 07 2016 16:56 Templarfreak wrote:
There appears to be some undocumented changes. Protected maps will no longer work, saying it cannot read the scenario file. They've also added the modern Blizzard Error Reporter and a system survey program.

The increased turn rate also seems to have an impact on the economy, but I'm not too sure yet.

I've already documented a lot of undocumented stuff at BnetDocs: https://bnetdocs.org/news/118/starcraft-patch-1-17-0-pre-release

Also, it's not specifically unprotected maps that don't work, I've tested a protected map and it works. ICCup's FS is known to not work though.
http://www.reddit.com/r/broodwar/
Templarfreak
Profile Joined February 2012
United States39 Posts
August 07 2016 09:12 GMT
#193
On August 07 2016 17:13 xboi209 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 07 2016 16:56 Templarfreak wrote:
There appears to be some undocumented changes. Protected maps will no longer work, saying it cannot read the scenario file. They've also added the modern Blizzard Error Reporter and a system survey program.

The increased turn rate also seems to have an impact on the economy, but I'm not too sure yet.

I've already documented a lot of undocumented stuff at BnetDocs: https://bnetdocs.org/news/118/starcraft-patch-1-17-0-pre-release

Also, it's not specifically unprotected maps that don't work, I've tested a protected map and it works. ICCup's FS is known to not work though.


What is CheckRevision's DLL?
Uuh.
xboi209
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States1173 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-08-07 09:59:30
August 07 2016 09:56 GMT
#194
On August 07 2016 18:12 Templarfreak wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 07 2016 17:13 xboi209 wrote:
On August 07 2016 16:56 Templarfreak wrote:
There appears to be some undocumented changes. Protected maps will no longer work, saying it cannot read the scenario file. They've also added the modern Blizzard Error Reporter and a system survey program.

The increased turn rate also seems to have an impact on the economy, but I'm not too sure yet.

I've already documented a lot of undocumented stuff at BnetDocs: https://bnetdocs.org/news/118/starcraft-patch-1-17-0-pre-release

Also, it's not specifically unprotected maps that don't work, I've tested a protected map and it works. ICCup's FS is known to not work though.


What is CheckRevision's DLL?

CheckRevision is a module for Battle.net(v1) clients that reports version information so that the server can know whether or not to send a newer patch or to decline the client from connecting, more advanced modules prevent clients that have hacks loaded from connecting as well. Basically though, the server sends BW a MPQ file which contains a DLL file that will be loaded by BW. The MPQ file itself has been traditionally signed, however, the private key used for signing MPQ files has been cracked and thus private servers have the ability to send clients any DLL they want, including viruses. Starting with the 1.17.0 patch, the DLL file itself is required to be signed with a stronger private key or else the client will refuse the load the file.
http://www.reddit.com/r/broodwar/
Prev 1 8 9 10 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 39m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
BeSt 791
soO 482
Hyuk 212
Mini 95
Killer 72
ZerO 66
Shinee 45
Mong 41
Mind 40
Bale 25
[ Show more ]
ZergMaN 11
yabsab 9
Terrorterran 8
Dota 2
monkeys_forever989
XaKoH 693
XcaliburYe276
League of Legends
JimRising 485
Counter-Strike
byalli454
Other Games
olofmeister754
ceh9627
Happy242
Livibee176
crisheroes153
Mew2King69
ArmadaUGS45
ZerO(Twitch)3
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick605
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH377
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2298
League of Legends
• Rush1294
• Jankos860
• Stunt410
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
1h 39m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
2h 39m
Monday Night Weeklies
7h 39m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 1h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 1h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 15h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.