• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:21
CEST 09:21
KST 16:21
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BSL Season 23 Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BW General Discussion RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9033 users

What kind of gaming mouse should I get for BW? - Page 4

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
letian
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Germany4221 Posts
April 09 2015 09:13 GMT
#61
On April 09 2015 14:26 Probemicro wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 08 2015 13:12 ninazerg wrote:
On April 07 2015 05:00 TheGreatOne wrote:
I want a mouse that is going to get me to D/D+/C-/C/C+ levels on iccup to just start out with.


If you want to get higher than D+, you're going to need a serious mouse. A normal logitech mouse is probably not going to cut it in the competitive world of StarCraft. That's just the truth. What you absolutely must have is the Razer Ourobouros:

[image loading]

The Razer Ouroboros delivers the ultimate in comfort and functionality. It’s wireless, a rarity for the gaming scene, but boasts a latency-free connection and a rechargeable dock that can double as a wired connection. Its ambidextrous design is good for both left- and right-handed gamers, and it has an abundance of physical adjustments so you can tune it to the perfect comfort setting. If you're serious about playing Brood War, you essentially must purchase this mouse, or else you may as well not even play at all.


that mouse looks like it would cut your hand the moment you touch it.

It will fuse with your palm and you will live with it for the rest of your life.
letian
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Germany4221 Posts
April 09 2015 09:14 GMT
#62
This is the best you can get for any money.
[image loading]
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
April 09 2015 09:46 GMT
#63
Unless you're playing FPS games at mid-low sens or care about the stuff it's bad at, yea pretty gud mouse :D
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
TheGreatOne
Profile Joined November 2005
United States534 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-04-09 23:02:33
April 09 2015 20:45 GMT
#64
Well i'm thinking about saving my money, and just get a Logitech cloth gaming mouse pad for the mouse I already got. Then see how I do after some long practice. I do miss the microsoft mice though, them were the days of winning records and C- on wgtour. I used to use wire mice but I have slowly gotten used to wireless mice because you can angle them to the left without much tension from the wire.
Protoss has always been the strongest race and always will be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sdjklahsjask
Profile Joined March 2015
Canada73 Posts
April 10 2015 03:03 GMT
#65
On April 09 2015 18:14 letian wrote:
This is the best you can get for any money.
[image loading]

id suck someones dick if i could find one of these for an affordable price

microsoft pls
Shikyo
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Finland33997 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-04-10 04:40:17
April 10 2015 04:38 GMT
#66
For SCBW, you just need to do some maths. Say, I play at 2500 DPI in 1080p so you I'd probably aim for somewhere around 800 DPI for SCBW. That seems to be the standard for most cheap mice so you have plenty of choice. Just buy one with a decent optical sensor. I have Logitech G100S and I like it far more than the Razer mice I've used but you could easily get away with something cheaper still. I use fingertip grip.

Then again, people who say that "anything is accurate in 480p game" don't really make sense to me because the precision required is still the same.

A thing that's greatly improved my accuracy is playing Osu, especially if you don't use the keyboard at all and just click everything.
League of Legends EU West, Platinum III | Yousei Teikoku is the best thing that has ever happened to music.
kogeT
Profile Joined September 2013
Poland2042 Posts
April 10 2015 08:18 GMT
#67
I can recommend Logitech G100S as mentioned before. One of the best gaming mouses coming from the same line as MX 300 -> G3 -> G100S (one of the best gaming series ever). It's also really cheap when you think about quality.
https://www.twitch.tv/kogetbw
plgElwood
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany518 Posts
April 10 2015 17:55 GMT
#68
Anything from Logitech (even gaming) and everything up to 25$ from Microsoft.
I still have my G5 (refresh) and I still used a CRT when I got it. The 500 and 504 are also very nice. Removable weights are gimmicky though.

Best mouse I played a shooter with was the "Logitech Optical wheel mouse", wich i modded by glueing on the rubber skin of a Basketball to the left MB.

[image loading]
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
TheGreatOne
Profile Joined November 2005
United States534 Posts
April 12 2015 00:11 GMT
#69
Got me a rubber SteelSeries Sensei 48$
Protoss has always been the strongest race and always will be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TheGreatOne
Profile Joined November 2005
United States534 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-04-13 01:58:47
April 12 2015 01:22 GMT
#70
On April 08 2015 05:39 Cyro wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 08 2015 03:53 DiMiaN wrote:
So, best way to play BW is to have low DPI/CPI? I have Razer Abyssus with 3 dpi options. I had it on 3500dpi. :S After reading this thread I changed it to 450dpi and higher sens on win.


No, you should never change your windows sensitivity. It should always be at 1:1 (which is 6/11) with enhance pointer precision disabled.

Since brood war plays at 640x480, that means that 400dpi when playing brood war is the same as having 900dpi on a 1080p screen, for how far you have to move the mouse to cross the screen vertically. That's a very good sensitivity level and you should not deviate far from it.


So 6/11 with pointer precision disabled, works better than 11/11 with pointer precision activated? My Cpi default settings are in the 1000's so should I set them down to about 400?
Protoss has always been the strongest race and always will be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
broodwarhd2
Profile Joined February 2015
8 Posts
April 12 2015 08:38 GMT
#71
On April 08 2015 05:39 Cyro wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 08 2015 03:53 DiMiaN wrote:
So, best way to play BW is to have low DPI/CPI? I have Razer Abyssus with 3 dpi options. I had it on 3500dpi. :S After reading this thread I changed it to 450dpi and higher sens on win.


No, you should never change your windows sensitivity. It should always be at 1:1 (which is 6/11) with enhance pointer precision disabled.

Since brood war plays at 640x480, that means that 400dpi when playing brood war is the same as having 900dpi on a 1080p screen, for how far you have to move the mouse to cross the screen vertically. That's a very good sensitivity level and you should not deviate far from it.

Ok but if you keep it at 6/11 then you will need to lower your DPI on your mouse surely in order to get faster pointer movement? So how is that any better of a solution? YOu are literally giving away the sensor accuracy of your mouse by doing so
TaShadan
Profile Joined February 2010
Germany1982 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-04-12 09:43:00
April 12 2015 09:38 GMT
#72
[image loading]

best mouse ever! :D

No seriously. You might have to try several ones and figure out which one is the best for you. I always prefered small and light mouses. I can not play with heavy/big ones because my hands are so small.
You also have to play around with mouse speed, DPI and acceleration (i personally played without acceleration).
Total Annihilation Zero
iFU.pauline
Profile Joined September 2009
France1771 Posts
April 12 2015 09:53 GMT
#73
[image loading]

as stated above, i believe this logitech design is old and the best for gaming, i like simple efficient and cheap things, never got into the "ultra sophisticated" disney like mouse gaming with plenty of colors for i started gaming with this...

[image loading]
No coward soul is mine, No trembler in the world's storm-troubled sphere, I see Heaven's glories shine, And Faith shines equal arming me from Fear
neteX
Profile Joined April 2015
Sweden285 Posts
April 12 2015 13:18 GMT
#74
mx1000 is the best imo
http://www.twitter.com/neteXLoL flw pls
TheGreatOne
Profile Joined November 2005
United States534 Posts
April 12 2015 20:08 GMT
#75
Isn't DPI for a printer? When I run my SteelSeries Engine for the mouse it says CPI Counts Per Inch.
Protoss has always been the strongest race and always will be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yorbon
Profile Joined December 2011
Netherlands4272 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-04-12 20:23:31
April 12 2015 20:18 GMT
#76
On April 12 2015 17:38 broodwarhd2 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 08 2015 05:39 Cyro wrote:
On April 08 2015 03:53 DiMiaN wrote:
So, best way to play BW is to have low DPI/CPI? I have Razer Abyssus with 3 dpi options. I had it on 3500dpi. :S After reading this thread I changed it to 450dpi and higher sens on win.


No, you should never change your windows sensitivity. It should always be at 1:1 (which is 6/11) with enhance pointer precision disabled.

Since brood war plays at 640x480, that means that 400dpi when playing brood war is the same as having 900dpi on a 1080p screen, for how far you have to move the mouse to cross the screen vertically. That's a very good sensitivity level and you should not deviate far from it.

Ok but if you keep it at 6/11 then you will need to lower your DPI on your mouse surely in order to get faster pointer movement? So how is that any better of a solution? YOu are literally giving away the sensor accuracy of your mouse by doing so

By changing your windows settings, it doesn't only change your sensitivity, it also makes it so that your cursor skips pixels at random times. This means your movement is no longer consistent. It is in no way comparable to changing dpi on your mouse.

I don't understand what you mean by bolded sentence. If I define pointer speed by the screen width divided by the amount of movement needed to cross that screen, in order for it to increase, you need to increase your dpi. The amount of 'dots per inch' moved increases, so you move your cursor a larger amount every inch you move your mouse.
I don't really know much about the technical theory of mice, but in practice, when you need faster movement, you increase your dpi. When you need to be more accurate, you decrease your dpi. The optimal dpi is personal preference. Most important though is that your movement stays consistent regardless of dpi. When you make the same movement over and over again, your cursor will move the same way over and over again. This is not the case with editing speed in windows, and it is thus inferior.

On April 13 2015 05:08 TheGreatOne wrote:
Isn't DPI for a printer? When I run my SteelSeries Engine for the mouse it says CPI Counts Per Inch.
There is no essential difference between the two. Manufacturers, according to wiki, use cpi more often. But I've never seen cpi used in gaming environments. It doesnt really matter which of the two one uses, as long as you use it consistently to avoid confusion.
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-04-12 23:04:39
April 12 2015 23:00 GMT
#77
On April 12 2015 10:22 TheGreatOne wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 08 2015 05:39 Cyro wrote:
On April 08 2015 03:53 DiMiaN wrote:
So, best way to play BW is to have low DPI/CPI? I have Razer Abyssus with 3 dpi options. I had it on 3500dpi. :S After reading this thread I changed it to 450dpi and higher sens on win.


No, you should never change your windows sensitivity. It should always be at 1:1 (which is 6/11) with enhance pointer precision disabled.

Since brood war plays at 640x480, that means that 400dpi when playing brood war is the same as having 900dpi on a 1080p screen, for how far you have to move the mouse to cross the screen vertically. That's a very good sensitivity level and you should not deviate far from it.


So 6/11 with pointer precision disabled, works better than 11/11 with pointer precision activated? My Cpi default settings are in the 1000's so I should set them down to about 400?


Enhanced pointer precision changes what the 1/11 - 11/11 slider does.

You should have enhanced pointer precision disabled at all times with a mouse. It's just a huge amount of positive AND NEGATIVE acceleration. There are some niche uses for it, but it shouldn't be anywhere near any system running mouse intensive games for any reason. There are reasons to use some forms of mouse accel - but there is no reason to use the specific implementation that Windows has, because it's horrible.

With the bar at 6/11 sensitivity (middle), you should adjust DPI until you have the sensitivity that you want. Remember that a huge range of sensitivity is fine and you should adjust to what's better, not particularly to what immediately feels good. Adjustment happens very quickly, a few hours to a few days or even a week to adjust to a major sensitivity change is nothing compared to the next 10 years of using a mouse.

I've used everything from 360dpi to 3200dpi for a reasonably long period of time on 1080p. There's no way i'd deviate from ~900dpi +-35% now on that resolution now that i have all of the experience and knowledge, but it took me years of throwing myself into really uncomfortable stuff and using three different good mice to get to that point where i know with a very high amount of confidence what is approximately correct for what situation and why, which styles of movements go with which levels of sensitivity so i can adjust between them in hours instead of days-weeks, etc.
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
fearthequeen
Profile Joined November 2011
United States788 Posts
April 13 2015 06:07 GMT
#78
On April 10 2015 17:18 kogeT wrote:
I can recommend Logitech G100S as mentioned before. One of the best gaming mouses coming from the same line as MX 300 -> G3 -> G100S (one of the best gaming series ever). It's also really cheap when you think about quality.


I been using this mouse for BW for awhile now. I agree its really good for the price ($30 US)
NAKR`flying
DiMiaN
Profile Joined October 2013
Finland306 Posts
April 13 2015 07:46 GMT
#79
Read here for more information about mouse sensitivity and DPI. I managed to get 1:1 with in-game speed 9 and 1800dpi. I use mca64launcher to adjust in-game sens.
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
April 13 2015 11:44 GMT
#80
I managed to get 1:1 with in-game speed 9 and 1800dpi. I use mca64launcher to adjust in-game sens.


1:1 1800dpi on brood war (640x480) means taking 0.267 inches to cross the entire height of the screen, that's a very high sens (equivalent to over 4k dpi on 1080p)
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 39m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 340
Hyuk 197
Hyun 89
Shinee 64
Hm[arnc] 55
ZergMaN 17
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm197
League of Legends
JimRising 704
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King112
Other Games
summit1g8459
WinterStarcraft518
ArmadaUGS48
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick785
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream133
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2303
League of Legends
• Rush1387
• Lourlo1057
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2h 39m
INu's Battles
4h 39m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
7h 39m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
11h 39m
BSL Open Qualifier
11h 39m
Replay Cast
15h 39m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 2h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 3h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 8h
Replay Cast
1d 15h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.