• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:59
CEST 04:59
KST 11:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6999 users

Are Custom Hotkeys Legal on Iccup? - Page 2

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
EvilTeletubby
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
Baltimore, USA22261 Posts
January 24 2010 07:37 GMT
#21
On January 24 2010 16:09 SuperKiller wrote:
speaking of, I wonder why nobody made a program to remap keys easily. I remember seeing how it was done years ago, but haven't seen anything since.

If it was more widespread, I don't see why it would be a problem.


Yeah, Keycraft was released several patches ago, but I don't think it was ever updated. I do believe there were manual instructions on how to do it floating around somewhere.

Anyways, it only modifies local files, there is no way for iccup or anyone else to tell if your hotkeys are modified.

On the morality of it, different versions of the game that come in different languages have different hotkey shortcuts. ie, if I were playing someone with a German version, many of our keyboard shortcuts would be different, even for the same race.

TBH, I modified mine YEARS ago - I moved both Probe and Pylon from 'P' to 'S'. This was not to gain any inherent advantage, but simply because I play random, and it's 10x less aggravating to be able to play all three races in similar fashion (ie, I can hit B - S as both T or P to get a depot/pylon, and hover my fingers over the 'S' + 'D' keys at the start of every game to ensure my initial worker is built).

If I played one race exclusively I wouldn't bother changing anything though. I also don't really play competitively on iccup or at LANs, so from a recreational POV I don't really see any issues with it.
Moderatorhttp://carbonleaf.yuku.com/topic/408/t/So-I-proposed-at-a-Carbon-Leaf-concert.html ***** RIP Geoff
Aux
Profile Joined April 2009
United States78 Posts
January 24 2010 14:40 GMT
#22
Well, I just think it would be best if I didn't use them, it seems like such a scant minority of people would know how to bind keys so it'd be a huge advantage.

I kind of would like to be on an equal playing ground, then again I would like more comfortable keys and to prepare for Starcraft 2.
StarCraft 2: Auxtron.961
Aux
Profile Joined April 2009
United States78 Posts
January 24 2010 14:42 GMT
#23
On January 24 2010 16:37 EvilTeletubby wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 24 2010 16:09 SuperKiller wrote:
speaking of, I wonder why nobody made a program to remap keys easily. I remember seeing how it was done years ago, but haven't seen anything since.

If it was more widespread, I don't see why it would be a problem.


Yeah, Keycraft was released several patches ago, but I don't think it was ever updated. I do believe there were manual instructions on how to do it floating around somewhere.

Anyways, it only modifies local files, there is no way for iccup or anyone else to tell if your hotkeys are modified.

On the morality of it, different versions of the game that come in different languages have different hotkey shortcuts. ie, if I were playing someone with a German version, many of our keyboard shortcuts would be different, even for the same race.

TBH, I modified mine YEARS ago - I moved both Probe and Pylon from 'P' to 'S'. This was not to gain any inherent advantage, but simply because I play random, and it's 10x less aggravating to be able to play all three races in similar fashion (ie, I can hit B - S as both T or P to get a depot/pylon, and hover my fingers over the 'S' + 'D' keys at the start of every game to ensure my initial worker is built).

If I played one race exclusively I wouldn't bother changing anything though. I also don't really play competitively on iccup or at LANs, so from a recreational POV I don't really see any issues with it.


Well I do play competitively but I don't feel like I will be able to attend any LANs for BW since we're on the advent of Starcraft 2's release.
StarCraft 2: Auxtron.961
Aux
Profile Joined April 2009
United States78 Posts
January 24 2010 14:59 GMT
#24
Anyone around who would have an idea?
StarCraft 2: Auxtron.961
synapse
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
China13814 Posts
January 24 2010 15:01 GMT
#25
I would very much like to make marines "r" and mutas "t"
:)
Aux
Profile Joined April 2009
United States78 Posts
January 24 2010 15:04 GMT
#26
On January 25 2010 00:01 synapse wrote:
I would very much like to make marines "r" and mutas "t"


I know, rebound probe construction to "Q" instead of "P" and I love it, but I do not want to be doing something that will give me an unfair advantage.
StarCraft 2: Auxtron.961
Welmu
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
Finland3295 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-01-24 15:10:18
January 24 2010 15:09 GMT
#27
In Warcraft, most of people rearrange their hotkeys and it is allowed in Warcraft tournaments too... And it is very simple ^^. Korean Starcraft players don't use "customkeys", but I don't know about Iccup or WCG... Also many Warcraft player change to Starcraft, because no use of customkeys.
Progamertwitter.com/welmu1 | twitch.com/Welmu1
NarutO
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
Germany18839 Posts
January 24 2010 15:10 GMT
#28
On January 24 2010 15:47 Day[9] wrote:
key remapping was legal at all the WCGs I went to (including grand finals)


What? It was forbidden in WCG Germany Nationals and I'm pretty sure its forbidden for the grandfinals in Starcraft too..
CommentatorPolt | MMA | Jjakji | BoxeR | NaDa | MVP | MKP ... truly inspiring.
NarutO
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
Germany18839 Posts
January 24 2010 15:12 GMT
#29
On January 24 2010 16:23 heyoka wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 24 2010 15:47 Day[9] wrote:
key remapping was legal at all the WCGs I went to (including grand finals)


Did anyone use it? I'm surprised, I know at most War3 tournaments it right in the rules that no remapping is allowed.


For Warcraft 3 I think thats a pretty crappy rule, since there's actually an option to change all the hotkeys while in Starcraft you can't change them :S!
CommentatorPolt | MMA | Jjakji | BoxeR | NaDa | MVP | MKP ... truly inspiring.
Aux
Profile Joined April 2009
United States78 Posts
January 24 2010 15:16 GMT
#30
On January 25 2010 00:12 G.s)NarutO wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 24 2010 16:23 heyoka wrote:
On January 24 2010 15:47 Day[9] wrote:
key remapping was legal at all the WCGs I went to (including grand finals)


Did anyone use it? I'm surprised, I know at most War3 tournaments it right in the rules that no remapping is allowed.


For Warcraft 3 I think thats a pretty crappy rule, since there's actually an option to change all the hotkeys while in Starcraft you can't change them :S!


You can change them, I did so myself.
StarCraft 2: Auxtron.961
NarutO
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
Germany18839 Posts
January 24 2010 15:21 GMT
#31
On January 25 2010 00:16 Aux wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 25 2010 00:12 G.s)NarutO wrote:
On January 24 2010 16:23 heyoka wrote:
On January 24 2010 15:47 Day[9] wrote:
key remapping was legal at all the WCGs I went to (including grand finals)


Did anyone use it? I'm surprised, I know at most War3 tournaments it right in the rules that no remapping is allowed.


For Warcraft 3 I think thats a pretty crappy rule, since there's actually an option to change all the hotkeys while in Starcraft you can't change them :S!


You can change them, I did so myself.


I mean that you cannot change them without using tools / modifying the config files. In Warcraft 3 there's an ingame menu where you can change all the keys.
CommentatorPolt | MMA | Jjakji | BoxeR | NaDa | MVP | MKP ... truly inspiring.
Aux
Profile Joined April 2009
United States78 Posts
January 24 2010 15:22 GMT
#32
Right, that's why I'm asking if it's legal on iccup.
StarCraft 2: Auxtron.961
NarutO
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
Germany18839 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-01-24 15:27:30
January 24 2010 15:27 GMT
#33
On January 25 2010 00:22 Aux wrote:
Right, that's why I'm asking if it's legal on iccup.


As lots of people said, no one could tell you changed them. It gives you an advantage nonetheless, but if you just play for fun I don't think people would care. And as far as I know, there's no rule against it.
CommentatorPolt | MMA | Jjakji | BoxeR | NaDa | MVP | MKP ... truly inspiring.
spinesheath
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Germany8679 Posts
January 24 2010 15:27 GMT
#34
On January 24 2010 16:10 zfr wrote:
I'm pretty sure blizzard officially said they would not have key remapping on release.

edit
found mixed info.. lol so yeah not sure about this

They did say that some time ago. But because the game has been delayed so much, officially because of bnet2.0 which should concern a different team of developers, it would be quite a disappointment if they are unable to offer custom hotkeys at least by the time of release (maybe not in beta).

In my opinion it would be an epic fail. It should have been an integral part of the project right from the start, anyways.
If you have a good reason to disagree with the above, please tell me. Thank you.
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44367 Posts
January 24 2010 15:41 GMT
#35
I don't have a problem with this in the same way as I don't have a problem with different keyboards and mice. You could rewire your keyboard specially for BW rather than remap for the same effect. Ultimately how you input the commands makes no difference, it's what the commands are that wins or loses games.
It's unenforceable on icc.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Intr3pid
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
Switzerland336 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-01-24 15:45:48
January 24 2010 15:44 GMT
#36
Yeah a keyboard that looks something like this would be nice:

5678 9
1234 0
QWERT

*dreams on*
StylishVODs
Profile Joined December 2005
Sweden5331 Posts
January 24 2010 17:07 GMT
#37
I don't see why it would be illeagal. We've had this discussion before.
There are already different language starcraft that uses different hotkeys.

No one would argue that having a better mouse than your opponent would be illeagal...
According to Reach, he is the fastest learner he has ever seen. He start bw only like 2/3 years ago. Infact, his bw history knowledge is so limited, he didn't even know what the map Guillotine was.
FireFly
Profile Joined June 2004
Germany51 Posts
January 24 2010 17:16 GMT
#38
custom keys are for nubs
Divinek
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Canada4045 Posts
January 24 2010 17:18 GMT
#39
It's not illegal as far as the iccup rules go
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Oh goodness me, FOX tv where do you get your sight? Can't you keep track, the puck is black. That's why the ice is white.
TeH_Mentalist
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Korea (South)244 Posts
January 24 2010 17:30 GMT
#40
On January 25 2010 02:18 Divinek wrote:
It's not illegal as far as the iccup rules go

any proof?
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 1m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 210
ProTech146
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 17485
Rain 1535
GuemChi 522
NaDa 24
Bale 23
sSak 12
Dota 2
monkeys_forever471
NeuroSwarm222
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
summit1g7433
taco 580
minikerr34
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1189
Mew2King68
Other Games
JimRising 602
WinterStarcraft541
C9.Mang0185
ViBE128
ZombieGrub27
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1027
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream33
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 165
• davetesta31
• Letter145
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo394
• Stunt252
Other Games
• Scarra899
• Shiphtur613
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
7h 1m
INu's Battles
8h 1m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
10h 1m
OSC
19h 16m
Replay Cast
20h 1m
OSC
1d 20h
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.