• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:55
CEST 11:55
KST 18:55
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror3[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
mca64Launcher 2.0 Sagi.gg Launcher Released [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6163 users

US Politics Feedback Thread - Page 187

Forum Index > Website Feedback
Post a Reply
Prev 1 185 186 187 188 189 345 Next
Seeker *
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
Where dat snitch at?37118 Posts
August 27 2018 13:01 GMT
#3721
We're not going to ban people from being able to criticize McCain. It just seems wrong and inconsiderate to start bashing him right after he's passed away. Just give it a couple of days before you start ripping into the guy.
ModeratorPeople ask me, "Seeker, what are you seeking?" My answer? "Sleep, damn it! Always sleep!"
TL+ Member
LegalLord
Profile Blog Joined April 2013
United States13779 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-08-27 13:15:38
August 27 2018 13:04 GMT
#3722
I think I could say with fairly high certainty that if anyone had reported a post criticizing Chavez on passing, nothing would have been done. And for that matter, was grumbles reported or did Seeker pull out that rule of his own volition?

In any case, the moment has certainly passed by now and all the RIPs have been posted. Waiting any longer serves no purpose but to allow for whitewashing. Only very selectively does bashing the dead seem "wrong and inconsiderate" in a way that seems to be more in line with political affiliation than with actual respect for the recently deceased.
History will sooner or later sweep the European Union away without mercy.
Dangermousecatdog
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom7084 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-08-27 13:09:06
August 27 2018 13:07 GMT
#3723
Did someone report grumbels? I got the impression that no one did. Every now and them a dictator dies and no one cares for calling it good riddance, most notably Castro. Heck no one cared for Thatcher. But even if someone did, what I take offence to is this:

On August 26 2018 11:33 Seeker wrote:
A reminder to everyone that John McCain passing does not mean that you get a free pass to insult him and say whatever you want. If you have nothing good to say, then please just don't say anything at all.



This did not appear to be afforded to other political figures who caused as much death and destruction. Do we normally can insult him if he was alive? Do we normally can write phrases with nothing good to say about a public political figure? Normally yes, because he is a public political figure, just as much as we insult Bush, Obama, Clinton and Trump.

So why is there only one sided praise allowed? Under such a mod note, even to write that he would have a controversial legacy would run foul of such a rule.
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
August 27 2018 13:18 GMT
#3724
People don’t report posts, they come here to complain and wait for the moderators to stumble acrosss their specific issue.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24369 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-08-27 13:33:12
August 27 2018 13:31 GMT
#3725
On August 27 2018 22:18 Plansix wrote:
People don’t report posts, they come here to complain and wait for the moderators to stumble acrosss their specific issue.

I think people have different approaches.

Personally I'm generally against most of the banning and prefer people settling things themselves, so if I end up here it's usually because someone was banned (sometimes myself) and point to how it's reflective of other posts of equal or lesser quality.

If I do report something it's usually just to make a point.

I'm not a fan of running to the mods instead of discussing something if there's a disagreement or some sharp words.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
LegalLord
Profile Blog Joined April 2013
United States13779 Posts
August 27 2018 14:12 GMT
#3726
I concur with GH. There are issues that go well beyond “can we please ban X” that are worth talking about instead of just hoping that a ban will occur. Plus, we cannot in good conscience just leave zlefin out to dry.
History will sooner or later sweep the European Union away without mercy.
Aquanim
Profile Joined November 2012
Australia2849 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-08-27 14:15:06
August 27 2018 14:14 GMT
#3727
On August 27 2018 22:07 Dangermousecatdog wrote:
Did someone report grumbels? I got the impression that no one did. Every now and them a dictator dies and no one cares for calling it good riddance, most notably Castro. Heck no one cared for Thatcher. But even if someone did, what I take offence to is this:

Show nested quote +
On August 26 2018 11:33 Seeker wrote:
A reminder to everyone that John McCain passing does not mean that you get a free pass to insult him and say whatever you want. If you have nothing good to say, then please just don't say anything at all.



This did not appear to be afforded to other political figures who caused as much death and destruction. Do we normally can insult him if he was alive? Do we normally can write phrases with nothing good to say about a public political figure? Normally yes, because he is a public political figure, just as much as we insult Bush, Obama, Clinton and Trump.

So why is there only one sided praise allowed? Under such a mod note, even to write that he would have a controversial legacy would run foul of such a rule.

I think this is a clearer statement of what is moderator policy and what is merely good taste:
On August 26 2018 11:51 micronesia wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 26 2018 11:34 Grumbels wrote:
prefer to be critical.

There is a difference between being critical in response to an obituary, and responding to it with a one liner that says 'good riddance.' Nothing wrong with helping people realize there's more to the story than simply a perfect American hero, but your fist post was very questionable.

edit: I should clarify that I too personally think people should stick to saying positive things (or nothing) immediately after someone dies like this, but that's etiquette and decency, not policy and rules.

LegalLord
Profile Blog Joined April 2013
United States13779 Posts
August 27 2018 14:24 GMT
#3728
Whatever etiquette standard any mod gives as opinion, the only one that represents actual policy is Seeker’s “nothing bad about McCain at all” note. Any variations on that are merely personal opinion at this point.
History will sooner or later sweep the European Union away without mercy.
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24369 Posts
August 27 2018 14:27 GMT
#3729
Seemed more appropriate to bring this here

On August 27 2018 23:09 Acrofales wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 27 2018 22:49 GreenHorizons wrote:
On August 27 2018 22:41 Acrofales wrote:
On August 27 2018 22:37 GreenHorizons wrote:
I'm just wondering how many people actually get the critique, because I get the impression it wasn't many people. It wasn't making light of their deaths at all.


Really?
On August 26 2018 10:44 Grumbels wrote:
good riddance to war criminals

Was how he opened that discussion. Seems to be making pretty light of it.

His later posts were, imho, fine. He got banned for ignoring the warning seeker gave him to can it. When you mess with the bull you get the horns...


I was talking about Igne, but since you asked...

+ Show Spoiler +
The discussion (or rather unmitigated praising) had already started. Grumbles post was the pithy (and reflective of the thread) opening salvo into the larger discussion he's not able to participate in going on in the US politics feedback thread. I'm trying to stay out of that one for now but I've made my case there. I suggest starting about here if you're interested in understanding more about the situation.

Ok, I only really saw what IgnE posted from what was cited here. Him posting pithy one-liners that get him banned are not something new. Him being completely misunderstood by almost everybody is also nothing new. So sounds like IgnE in a nutshell

I also don't really feel like re-litigating the whole McCain died thing. I agree with you (and with Grumbels) that him dying doesn't mean we should stop being critical of him. I disagree that "being an asshole" is the way to do it. And insofar as I understand things, grumbels got banned for being an asshole about it, first and foremost. Nobody else got warned for bringing up (valid) criticism of McCain's actions throughout his career, did they?


The issue that Grumbles was getting at and what drove the tone of the posting was that there wasn't anyone else being critical. Granted I've been allowed some space to do so here as I'm not posting in the US politics thread itself. Pretty sure if I had I'd have been banned too regardless of the tone or validity, particularly because of this:

A reminder to everyone that John McCain passing does not mean that you get a free pass to insult him and say whatever you want. If you have nothing good to say, then please just don't say anything at all.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
August 27 2018 14:29 GMT
#3730
Both of them are moderators, so I don’t believe Seeker’s word is law.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Gorsameth
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands22630 Posts
August 27 2018 14:35 GMT
#3731
On August 27 2018 22:18 Plansix wrote:
People don’t report posts, they come here to complain and wait for the moderators to stumble acrosss their specific issue.
I would guess its because the most vocal complainers have had their report button taken away for reporting to many unactioned posts.

It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24369 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-08-27 14:37:07
August 27 2018 14:35 GMT
#3732
On August 27 2018 23:29 Plansix wrote:
Both of them are moderators, so I don’t believe Seeker’s word is law.


I can't speak for others but I know as far as I'm concerned that's the case. Seeker would have to be obscenely/egregiously wrong to get overruled in the US politics thread.

On August 27 2018 23:35 Gorsameth wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 27 2018 22:18 Plansix wrote:
People don’t report posts, they come here to complain and wait for the moderators to stumble acrosss their specific issue.
I would guess its because the most vocal complainers have had their report button taken away for reporting to many unactioned posts.



Not sure that applies to anyone but zlefin, which if that was your point, ouch.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
August 27 2018 14:39 GMT
#3733
Seeker perma banned me and got talked down by other moderators, so I don’t believe that is correct.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24369 Posts
August 27 2018 14:42 GMT
#3734
On August 27 2018 23:39 Plansix wrote:
Seeker perma banned me and got talked down by other moderators, so I don’t believe that is correct.


I would say perming you was egregiously wrong, but you're right that perm bans are where I also think other moderators could be appealed to. Otherwise, it's extremely unlikely imo.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Seeker *
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
Where dat snitch at?37118 Posts
August 27 2018 15:15 GMT
#3735
I'm confused... Why are we still discussing this? What else do you guys need clarified exactly?
ModeratorPeople ask me, "Seeker, what are you seeking?" My answer? "Sleep, damn it! Always sleep!"
TL+ Member
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
August 27 2018 15:27 GMT
#3736
On August 28 2018 00:15 Seeker wrote:
I'm confused... Why are we still discussing this? What else do you guys need clarified exactly?

Are you, in fact, the God King(TM) of US Pol thread moderation? And if so, how many mods must object to overturn the God King’s decision?
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
KlaCkoN
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Sweden1661 Posts
August 27 2018 16:19 GMT
#3737
On August 28 2018 00:15 Seeker wrote:
I'm confused... Why are we still discussing this? What else do you guys need clarified exactly?

Thank you for clarifying that the ban on McCain criticism was temporary.
When Ayatolla Khomeni dies are you planning on enforcing 3 days of RIP? This is not theoretical, it's quite likely to happen soonish.
If not where is the line, and what is the rule that is used to justify what several of us see as hypocritical enforcement of respect for the recently deceased only in select instances?
"Voice or no voice the people can always be brought to the bidding of their leaders ... All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger."
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
August 27 2018 16:31 GMT
#3738
--- Nuked ---
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24369 Posts
August 27 2018 16:35 GMT
#3739
I'm not a fan of running to the mods instead of discussing something if there's a disagreement or some sharp words.


For example

"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
August 27 2018 16:38 GMT
#3740
That post is shit by a brand new account.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Prev 1 185 186 187 188 189 345 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko6
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 6732
actioN 535
BeSt 518
Leta 486
Jaedong 398
Larva 210
EffOrt 171
Mong 127
sorry 113
Dewaltoss 102
[ Show more ]
Zeus 99
ToSsGirL 64
scan(afreeca) 63
Killer 61
Barracks 58
Free 46
sSak 39
Shinee 38
Aegong 36
Bale 33
soO 26
FanTaSy 22
NotJumperer 19
HiyA 17
yabsab 17
Sacsri 7
Dota 2
XcaliburYe179
Counter-Strike
byalli826
Other Games
summit1g9115
olofmeister910
singsing541
Happy336
crisheroes245
Pyrionflax197
KnowMe105
dupreeh48
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick632
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream33
StarCraft: Brood War
Afreeca ASL 1
UltimateBattle 0
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 17
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1050
• Stunt382
Other Games
• WagamamaTV175
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
6m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1h 6m
Monday Night Weeklies
6h 6m
Replay Cast
13h 6m
Afreeca Starleague
1d
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 1h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 14h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
OSC
3 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.