• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:26
CEST 21:26
KST 04:26
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)59Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games BW General Discussion Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9204 users

Why Samsung KHAN Will Win the Proleague

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Musoeun
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States4324 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-19 11:10:52
July 17 2009 15:41 GMT
#1
[image loading]


"And why," you ask, "Was this not up earlier?" Well, I was at work. That, and I didn't think anybody would actually be interested in the subject. The fact that no one else bothered to make a thread on the subject would seem to indicate that I was right.

But fans of KHAN everywhere have been called out by riptide, Heyoka and Manifesto7, and that simply cannot be tolerated. While I may sport a Stars icon - and the Stars will return to glory eventually, if and when free remembers how to win consistently or they find a Terran, wait where was I? - the fact is, with Woongjin gone from the playoff picture I find myself increasingly intrigued by KHAN and their chance of glory.

Without further ado, let's look at the reasons KHAN will not only make it past the most dangerous gauntlet, their opening round games against STX, but take it all the way to the top.

The Leader


First of all, before anything else, KHAN has a genius coach. January's ability to somehow get a decent lineup for every single match ought to be legendary. Unfortunately her facepalm is far more legendary right now, but that's no reason to doubt that she's still got it when it counts.

[image loading]


Then there's her team.

Let's be blunt, they've been slumping a little bit lately. They still snuck into the playoffs at the last moment, and that's what counts. Let's be honest again: if they were still sitting in second, even the last few weeks' performance wouldn't worry anybody.

Of course, they're not in second, they're in sixth, and their biggest challenge is the first thing they have to deal with. In my opinion, STX is favored to win the whole deal on depth, and their biggest challenge will be SK Telecom T1.

Well, their biggest challenge except for the men from KHAN, who will prove that SouL is not enough, and that Samsung still KHAN.

The Weapons

[image loading]

(P)Stork

This man is the defacto leader of the ragtag band who call KHAN home. The only one on the team with a gold medal in individual play, if push comes to shove, Stork will be the one to pick up the ball and run with it. In the match against STX, he's going to be solidly in the spotlight.

STX lives and dies with its Zerg, and this is the Dinotoss's worst matchup. On the other hand, Stork sports a 2-2 record against Jaedong in 2009. In no case will Stork have to play a "best of" against anyone, so Stork should be perfectly fine here. It's not like he hasn't seen pressure before.

[image loading]

(T)firebathero

This man has epic TvZ when he feels like it, and his TvT is still solid even when the rest of his body of work is somewhat... limp. I think January will have him in top form for the playoffs, but I'm not going to speculate how. Still, one game is against Hwasin, and that should be a win for bm central even if firebathero's not up to snuff.

[image loading]

(P)JangBi

Baby-face is slowly maturing into a solid player day in and day out. When the rest of the team went on vacation for the Winners League, he kept KHAN in contention with a little help from by.great, but we'll get to him later.

[image loading]

(Z)by.great

Ah, KHAN's secret weapon. KHAN's Zerg line. Let's face it, Juni and oDin suck. But that doesn't matter, because between the two of them they only have two games and one is a ZvZ. by.great, meanwhile, has a ZvZ game against Calm, in a battle of micro vs mind (neither are great in the matchup, but both are solid), and a game against Shuttle that should be an entertaining win for a (Z)great player.

The Clincher

Anyone who says KHAN can't get three wins in either match is smoking something. True, in the first game they'll have to win in six or lose in ace, probably. But the second match, and the final ace match to close things out, are KHAN's playground. One on Shades of Twilight, newest map to play host to the Protoss as favorites. And to finish things out, Colosseum itself, new home to the tribes. Stork on one, Jangbi on the other, and I defy SouL to send any combination of July, Calm, and Kal that will win the required games to keep their dreams alive.

So then. KHAN clearly can win against STX SouL, but KHAN is aiming higher than that - at Proleague gold (or at least silver, badumching!). Yet I've stated that their biggest worry is STX. Am I on crack? Clearly, whoever comes out of the Hite-CJ match is no weakling. However, CJ Entus is merely STX SouL light. And they don't have good Protosses to go toe to toe with KHAN, as STX might (if they weren't going to lose). And Hite... well, KHAN won last time, so I'm going to say history is on my side.

After that we have OZ. Jaedong one win, BackHo/Lomo/HiyA one win, Samsung KHAN four. Repeat, wash, rinse or whatever it is.

[image loading]


And then SK Telecom T1 will be the only team left in the way of KHAN's glory. Then there were two, and after coming all this way, do you really think that KHAN will let a little thing like T1 stand in their way? Well, they might, Stork and Jangbi (especially Jangbi) are used to the feeling.

But I, for one, believe.

[image loading]
(Mostly because I want to see fbh keep dancing, but hey, reasons are reasons)


Update:
The March To Victory Has Begun

[image loading]

Samsung KHAN 4:3, 1:4, 1:0 STX SouL
Don't Shoot the Penguins. | Dance, 성은, dance! | Killer FanKlub | Action sucks. | Storm Terran hwaiting.
SuperArc
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Austria7781 Posts
July 17 2009 15:47 GMT
#2
I dont agree with CJ being STX light. :p

But I think if Khan wins, it will be thanks to great.
Snow - future of protoss! :) Nada = baller
fanatacist
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
10319 Posts
July 17 2009 15:49 GMT
#3
Yea, the lateness of this article is just evidence of how ... unfortunate... Khan's situation is. Your stars icon also.

Sorry mate, don't think things will roll your way. "January will pick up a floundering line-up of FBH/Stork/Jangbi... I don't know how though," is not really a good approach ):

Let's hope you're right and we see some epic games, I would NOT mind Bisu vs. Stork or Jangbi in the finals. Bisu/Best vs. Stork/Jangbi are the games I look forward to most whenever they arise, about as much as Bisu vs. Jaedong or Flash.
Peace~
CoL_Drake
Profile Joined March 2005
Germany455 Posts
July 17 2009 15:55 GMT
#4
DANCE BABY DANCE !!!!
Hot_Bid
Profile Blog Joined October 2003
Braavos36402 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-17 15:59:56
July 17 2009 15:55 GMT
#5
the way Samsung has been playing lately, there's really no quick fix. it's not been a fluke, they are just playing bad. I don't see them having some miracle (no pun intended) turnaround in one week. plus, with jangbi, stork, and others slumping, they can't beat a top heavy team like SKT and hey are not deep enough to beat a team as deep as STX or CJ in a Bo7

and CJ is STX light? come on now, looking at their rosters I can't imagine anyone arguing STX that much better.

Z: Effort is clearly the best player on both teams, and with Kwanro doing well and Savior not that bad, against July / Calm / by.hero it's pretty close (though a lot would argue CJ superior)

T: Iris and Skyhigh versus Hwasin and Notice/Last, clearly CJ superior here

P: Kal is the best here, but I'd take Movie and Much over Shuttle, and the maps are more T/Z friendly
@Hot_Bid on Twitter - ESPORTS life since 2010 - http://i.imgur.com/U2psw.png
fanatacist
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
10319 Posts
July 17 2009 16:01 GMT
#6
On July 18 2009 00:55 Hot_Bid wrote:
the way Samsung has been playing lately, there's really no quick fix. it's not been a fluke, they are just playing bad. I don't see them having some miracle (no pun intended) turnaround in one week. plus, with jangbi, stork, and others slumping, they can't beat a top heavy team like SKT and hey are not deep enough to beat a team as deep as STX or CJ in a Bo7

and CJ is STX light? come on now, looking at their rosters I can't imagine anyone arguing STX that much better.

Z: Effort is clearly the best player on both teams, and with Kwanro doing well and Savior not that bad, against July / Calm / by.hero it's pretty close (though a lot would argue CJ superior)

T: Iris and Skyhigh versus Hwasin and Notice/Last, clearly CJ superior here

P: Kal is the best here, but I'd take Movie and Much over Shuttle, and the maps are more T/Z friendly

Shuttle DID play a sick series vs. Flash recently, I don't know. I don't think Kal could have pulled that off.
Peace~
Sprite
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
United States1015 Posts
July 17 2009 16:02 GMT
#7
I love you for doing this omg GO KHAN i still believe!

Im glad u didn't mention Frozean lol

but seriously im surprised people still underestimate Khan there depth is very underrated.

Khan has really overcome the fact that 2v2 was removed from the format in pro league.

So go KHAN!!!

Firebathero is still the best!
SuperArc
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Austria7781 Posts
July 17 2009 16:04 GMT
#8
biggest problem of Khan is the age I think - some of them can be called oldies :p
Snow - future of protoss! :) Nada = baller
fanatacist
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
10319 Posts
July 17 2009 16:05 GMT
#9
On July 18 2009 01:02 Sprite wrote:
I love you for doing this omg GO KHAN i still believe!

Im glad u didn't mention Frozean lol

but seriously im surprised people still underestimate Khan there depth is very underrated.

Khan has really overcome the fact that 2v2 was removed from the format in pro league.

So go KHAN!!!


They have good players. That are playing really badly.
Peace~
Hot_Bid
Profile Blog Joined October 2003
Braavos36402 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-17 16:11:44
July 17 2009 16:11 GMT
#10
On July 18 2009 01:01 fanatacist wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 18 2009 00:55 Hot_Bid wrote:
the way Samsung has been playing lately, there's really no quick fix. it's not been a fluke, they are just playing bad. I don't see them having some miracle (no pun intended) turnaround in one week. plus, with jangbi, stork, and others slumping, they can't beat a top heavy team like SKT and hey are not deep enough to beat a team as deep as STX or CJ in a Bo7

and CJ is STX light? come on now, looking at their rosters I can't imagine anyone arguing STX that much better.

Z: Effort is clearly the best player on both teams, and with Kwanro doing well and Savior not that bad, against July / Calm / by.hero it's pretty close (though a lot would argue CJ superior)

T: Iris and Skyhigh versus Hwasin and Notice/Last, clearly CJ superior here

P: Kal is the best here, but I'd take Movie and Much over Shuttle, and the maps are more T/Z friendly

Shuttle DID play a sick series vs. Flash recently, I don't know. I don't think Kal could have pulled that off.

yeah, it's clear that its pretty close between STX and CJ, especially the way calm and effort have been tearing it up lately. but the author says "CJ is basically STX lite" which obviously isn't the case. if any team is that, it's Samsung, who is just a worse version of SKT. they have two Ps (who are slumping and worse than Bisu/Best), one Terran (FBH) who is way worse than Fantasy, and a rising zerg (great) who is better than thezerg but not enough to offset any of the differences. also, samsung's strength used to be excellent coching, strategy, and planning, but with the way they've been playing recently, I think SKT has the edge there too now.
@Hot_Bid on Twitter - ESPORTS life since 2010 - http://i.imgur.com/U2psw.png
fanatacist
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
10319 Posts
July 17 2009 16:14 GMT
#11
On July 18 2009 01:11 Hot_Bid wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 18 2009 01:01 fanatacist wrote:
On July 18 2009 00:55 Hot_Bid wrote:
the way Samsung has been playing lately, there's really no quick fix. it's not been a fluke, they are just playing bad. I don't see them having some miracle (no pun intended) turnaround in one week. plus, with jangbi, stork, and others slumping, they can't beat a top heavy team like SKT and hey are not deep enough to beat a team as deep as STX or CJ in a Bo7

and CJ is STX light? come on now, looking at their rosters I can't imagine anyone arguing STX that much better.

Z: Effort is clearly the best player on both teams, and with Kwanro doing well and Savior not that bad, against July / Calm / by.hero it's pretty close (though a lot would argue CJ superior)

T: Iris and Skyhigh versus Hwasin and Notice/Last, clearly CJ superior here

P: Kal is the best here, but I'd take Movie and Much over Shuttle, and the maps are more T/Z friendly

Shuttle DID play a sick series vs. Flash recently, I don't know. I don't think Kal could have pulled that off.

yeah, it's clear that its pretty close between STX and CJ, especially the way calm and effort have been tearing it up lately. but the author says "CJ is basically STX lite" which obviously isn't the case. if any team is that, it's Samsung, who is just a worse version of SKT. they have two Ps (who are slumping and worse than Bisu/Best), one Terran (FBH) who is way worse than Fantasy, and a rising zerg (great) who is better than thezerg but not enough to offset any of the differences. also, samsung's strength used to be excellent coching, strategy, and planning, but with the way they've been playing recently, I think SKT has the edge there too now.

I agree completely. I was just making a statement that Shuttle did what I think Movie/Kal couldn't do, and I doubt Much could either (the giving Flash a good series bit). Although it's only one MU, it's still something to consider and not ignore by saying Movie is better :p
Peace~
Schnake
Profile Joined September 2003
Germany2819 Posts
July 17 2009 16:18 GMT
#12
I would like to express my support for Samsung KHAN.
"Alán Shore" and "August Terran" @ LoL EUW - liquidparty
Black Gun
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Germany4482 Posts
July 17 2009 16:19 GMT
#13
hope dies last, yayaya^^

i still wish u gl, as u will be easier to beat in the grand finals than stx

"What am I supposed to do against this?" - "Lose!" :-]
Frits
Profile Joined March 2003
11782 Posts
July 17 2009 16:27 GMT
#14
Khan fighting!

Hell yeah they stand a great chance with jangbi/stork/fbh/great. I think the BO7 format really works in Khan's favor.
boezou
Profile Joined January 2009
United States56 Posts
July 17 2009 16:45 GMT
#15
"Unfortunately her facepalm is far more legendary right now"

[image loading]

haha...classic-- i love january
illu
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada2531 Posts
July 17 2009 16:53 GMT
#16
Go KHAN! I Believe! (maybe xD)
:]
meegrean
Profile Joined May 2008
Thailand7699 Posts
July 17 2009 16:59 GMT
#17
Nah, they won't win >
Brood War loyalist
Musoeun
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States4324 Posts
July 17 2009 16:59 GMT
#18
The STX lite comment:

1) Yes, was exaggeration, but
2) Has a grain of truth. In all but ZvZ, Calm is at least EffOrt's equal, and I'd argue is a superior player. I'm a fan of Kwanro, and not of by.hero, but Kwanro's style is highly hit-or-miss (though mostly hitting recently) while by.hero is good, solid, and improving. I would also take July over sAviOr any day. Modesty adds one more decent Zerg to the list that CJ doesn't match.

In the Protoss lineup, I think it's clear that Kal is better than Much right now, and has more left in the tank. While Movie has an ability to come up with one-off builds that work really well, he also has the ability to get completely trapped in his base by OZ's random b-team Zerg. Shuttle is much more solid overall even if his macro's occasionally spotty. Clear win for STX.

Terran is the interesting one. In TvT, CJ holds a huge advantage, but in an STX vs CJ match STX should be looking to send Zergs against the Terrans. Hwasin is clearly not as good as Iris, but I feel like sKyHigh's TvT may not be as good as his early results. Hwasin-sKyHigh I call a push. The question is whether STX's extra random Terrans (Notice, Last) who can both win games offset Iris and the failure known as Memory - and whether, if they don't, this offset's CJ's relative Protoss weakness.

If I pick top seven players from each team, I'd arrange them like in order:

Effort, skyhigh, Iris, Kwanro, Much, sAvior, Movie
Calm, Kal, Hwasin, July, Shuttle, by.hero, Last

And 1 on 1, in that order, I'd expect your winners to be Effort, Kal, Iris, Kwanro, Shuttle, by.hero, Last, 4-3 STX. I think Kal is better than skyhigh, despite the failed cheese loss in their last meeting, but the kicker is in the tail-end of the lineup, where STX has just a touch more depth than CJ. Of course, if I'm wrong about movie, and he's actually the next big Protoss, that throws my calculation out the window.
Don't Shoot the Penguins. | Dance, 성은, dance! | Killer FanKlub | Action sucks. | Storm Terran hwaiting.
bjornkavist
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Canada1235 Posts
July 17 2009 17:03 GMT
#19
I believe!
https://soundcloud.com/bbols
TwoStep
Profile Joined January 2009
United States294 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-17 17:08:27
July 17 2009 17:07 GMT
#20
So I am the only to notice skyhigh and Much's poor play recently.
Arf
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 34m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
UpATreeSC 194
ProTech147
JuggernautJason49
CosmosSc2 26
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 739
White-Ra 156
Dewaltoss 109
Hyuk 101
firebathero 70
Trap 46
Sacsri 22
Rock 16
Bale 16
Dota 2
Gorgc8427
qojqva1371
Counter-Strike
fl0m1505
Fnx 855
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King99
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3557
Khaldor1169
crisheroes1095
Liquid`Hasu539
Other Games
summit1g5350
FrodaN1699
XBOCT285
ArmadaUGS172
C9.Mang0169
QueenE75
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV237
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream49
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH341
• StrangeGG 70
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 16
• FirePhoenix6
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie938
• Shiphtur318
Upcoming Events
OSC
2h 34m
CranKy Ducklings
14h 34m
Online Event
15h 34m
FEL
20h 34m
AI Arena Tournament
21h 34m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
23h 34m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 14h
INu's Battles
1d 16h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 23h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 23h
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.