• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:14
CEST 22:14
KST 05:14
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon110
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8229 users

[Q] Mouse Acceleration?

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
Odds
Profile Joined May 2008
Canada1188 Posts
June 10 2008 06:02 GMT
#1
This has been on my mind for some time, perhaps one of you all can provide some enlightenment.

I've been playing with what could be considered rather bizarre mouse settings: maximum sensitivity, and the Windows option "Enhance Mouse Precision", also known as "Acceleration": basically, the pointer does not move at a set speed, but moves farther the faster you move the mouse. Because my mouse is less-than optimal (but still decent), if I turn this option off, my pointer will skip 4 or 5 pixels at a time when I try and move it anywhere, which is obviously no good; but from what I hear the acceleration option is detrimental to overall mouse accuracy.

Should I suck it up and get a new mouse? Turn off the option and lower the sensitivity to avoid the skipping? I am interested in your thoughts. If there is an optimal mouse setup, what is it?
Odds.633, AM. Plat level currently. Would love more practice partners, add me, let's play!
Daranee
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
338 Posts
June 10 2008 06:38 GMT
#2
Why ruin a good thing? If you're comfortable with your mouse, you won't need to buy a new one.

Do you need your mouse to be faster? Having a faster mouse may or may not make you faster in Brood War.
Centric
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States1989 Posts
June 10 2008 06:43 GMT
#3
On June 10 2008 15:38 Daranee wrote:
Why ruin a good thing? If you're comfortable with your mouse, you won't need to buy a new one.

Do you need your mouse to be faster? Having a faster mouse may or may not make you faster in Brood War.

I beg to differ. For a long time I played at about 40% speed on my mouse. I finally maxed it after a lot of urging from friends. Once you adjust your mouse speed and get used to it, you find that you can accomplish actions slightly faster, and in turn your APM goes up. There is that window of time where you're extremely angry because your mouse accuracy is shot because you're not used to it, but I believe it's worth it.
Super serious.
edahl
Profile Joined February 2008
Norway483 Posts
June 10 2008 06:45 GMT
#4
My own experience is that you would want the accuracy from a proper mouse. And I run slow mouse speed :-p
merz
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
Sweden2760 Posts
June 10 2008 08:13 GMT
#5
I ran acceleration for nearly 3 years, thought I had it turned off completly. But when I discovered that the windows drivers also have mouse accel enabled, I turned that off as well, and it's really worth it. I've experienced that my clicks and movements is a lot more accurate once I turned it off completly. I think the whole "max sensitivity" is a misunderstanding when it comes to SC/BW. I remember MgZ)Ptak telling me that when he met most of the top gamers at wcg, they all used pretty low sens and no acceleration. It doesn't slow you down really, might feel a little "slow" in the beginning when you're getting adjusted. But in the end you get a lot better accuracy.
Winners never quit, quitters never win.
Cobalt
Profile Joined April 2008
United States441 Posts
June 10 2008 09:04 GMT
#6
I'm left-handed, so my mouse accuracy is crap anyway. I think I have Windows set to 6/11 and my mouse driver settings maxed, and I think I do alright...but I absolutely suck at worker splits.
qet
Profile Joined May 2007
Australia245 Posts
June 10 2008 09:10 GMT
#7
turn mouse accelleration off
then turn the speed down a bit from max - i like 2 down from max.

yes, its hard to get used to at first, but then its faster.
Centric
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States1989 Posts
June 10 2008 09:12 GMT
#8
I'm left-handed too...I used to think the same thing as you, but it's really just a matter of practice and repetition (I still miss splits, but not as much as I used to). Besides, you should have the advantage with your keyboard hand then with hotkeying. It all balances out.
Super serious.
paper
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
13197 Posts
June 10 2008 09:42 GMT
#9
acceleration is the worst thing ever!
Hates Fun🤔
aqui
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Germany1023 Posts
June 10 2008 11:30 GMT
#10
with accelartion on i often missclick units.( f.e. when i want to select a templar really fast during a batlle) accuracy is much better if i turn it off especially when doing hectic movements.
ZhenMiChan
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
Netherlands1181 Posts
June 10 2008 12:32 GMT
#11
acceleration is shit


the more you move your mouse the higher the speed becomes

so moving your mouse 1 cm to the right should move your pointer 1 cm to the right on your screen
but if you move 2cm it could be like 2.1 or 2.2 cm on screen


so you really need to master your mouse and know all accelerations to perfect it

useless
Studying Chinese~
-orb-
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States5770 Posts
June 10 2008 12:42 GMT
#12
Go with your own suggestion to yourself of sucking it up and getting a new mouse.

Get a Razer. They're fucking awesome
'life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery'
how sad that sc2 has no shield battery :(
thoraxe
Profile Blog Joined March 2007
United States1449 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-06-10 14:16:31
June 10 2008 14:16 GMT
#13
Are ya'll talking about the mouse speed, cuz i don't see anything about acceleration in my mouse's menu (I have Vista)?
Obama singing "Kick Ass" Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yghFBt-fXmw&feature=player_embedde
seo.u.l
Profile Joined January 2009
United States5 Posts
January 18 2009 18:27 GMT
#14
when I have my mouse acceleration off, i notice that my mouse spazzes out when i move it slowly. anyone else have this problem? it's annoying b/c when i try to click something it spazzes out somewhere near and clicks something else help anyone?
EleanorRIgby
Profile Joined March 2008
Canada3923 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-01-18 19:02:17
January 18 2009 18:59 GMT
#15
if you played quake three at a fairly high level like i did, you can use mouse excel in any game and be successful with it, may take some time to get used to though

mouse accel does not make you less accurate, at all.
savior did nothing wrong
vAltyR
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States581 Posts
January 18 2009 19:03 GMT
#16
Turn off the acceleration and get a better mouse if you have to. It's worth it. The overall sensitivity is basically personal preference, mine is actually really low because razer mice seem to be much more sensitive than other mice. I'm set to 4 above the bottom in Windows, and maxed sensitivity in the DeathAdder drivers.

Acceleration certainly is useful in some applications, but I hate it for gaming.
내 호버크라프트는 장어로 가득 차 있어요
seo.u.l
Profile Joined January 2009
United States5 Posts
January 19 2009 09:02 GMT
#17
I have been playing games with low acceleration and I want to try playing without it and see the

difference. I have the logitech mini optical and tried using Logitech Setpoint to turn off the

acceleration but when I move my mouse slowly diagonally, it gets all jittery and leads me to

misclick a lot. Is there a recommended mouseware version out there to fix this? I tried installing

Mouseware 9.8 but says the software isn't compatible with my laptop (Vista). sry i'm posting again

about this i really want to solve this issue
Nitrogen
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States5345 Posts
January 19 2009 09:09 GMT
#18
do you have the speed changed in windows? because that causes you to skip a lot of pixels if you changed it too much
UNFUCK YOURSELF
seo.u.l
Profile Joined January 2009
United States5 Posts
January 19 2009 09:46 GMT
#19
i tried keeping the speed in windows in the middle, the lowest, and the highest but it's still jittery
Azrael1111
Profile Joined July 2008
United States550 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-01-19 10:08:11
January 19 2009 09:59 GMT
#20
Hmmm, I had written out a bit about how windows sensitivity and dpi work, but rereading the op is seems you know that. All I can say is that picking up a higher dpi mouse so you can use a lower windows sensitivity (doing this will allow you to keep your preferred sensitivity but getting that 1 dpi-1 unit of on screen movement) is what you should probably do. Mouse acceleration makes learning/mastering a sensitivity harder as there are now more factors that influence mouse movement. This is why the majority of professional gamers play with it off.

Heres what I was saying before though for less informed people who have similiar questions.

Mouse acceleration off is what the majority of people who play games which require a high degree of precision use. No having to worry about how fast you are moving the mouse when you want to move a specific distance simplifies aiming, making it easier to both learn and master. The reason you are likely experiencing "skipped" pixels is because you have a high windows sensitivity.

Windows sensitivity effects your mouse's movement like this...

1. 0.03125
2. 0.0625
3. 0.25
4. 0.5
5. 0.75
6. 1.
7. 1.5
8. 2.
9. 2.5
10. 3.
11. 3.5

1-11 are the notches in the mouse properties. The following numbers are the factors by which your pointers movement is influenced. The default is 6. When you are at the default the movement of the pointer will be 1 dpi (dot-per-inch, this is what your mouse measures in) * 1 = # of pixels moved. This is ideal. You will be able to make the finest movement possible (going 1 pixel at time). If you go over 6, even the smallest registered movement of the mouse will skip over pixels. If you go under pixels get "held", so it takes for example the movement of the mouse 4 dpi to move 1 pixel. This isn't too bad, so under default (6/11 windows is alright).
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 47m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 559
UpATreeSC 101
JuggernautJason1
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 786
Dewaltoss 111
firebathero 86
Zeus 64
Trap 36
910 36
NaDa 32
Bale 25
ToSsGirL 20
Shine 13
Dota 2
420jenkins341
monkeys_forever125
Counter-Strike
edward143
Super Smash Bros
ArmadaUGS134
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu2261
Other Games
summit1g4968
Grubby2373
B2W.Neo712
Beastyqt687
byalli420
shahzam396
C9.Mang0161
ToD135
KnowMe134
TKL 127
Railgan18
Chillindude14
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV245
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream120
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 43
• Adnapsc2 15
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki29
• blackmanpl 19
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur276
• WagamamaTV275
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
3h 47m
Kung Fu Cup
14h 47m
Stellar Fest
16h 47m
The PondCast
1d 13h
OSC
1d 16h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.