• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:34
CEST 02:34
KST 09:34
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach0[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon101Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool The Death of Cheese: From a Professional Cheeser
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1 [IPSL] IPSL is Back With Winter 26-27!
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12350 users

DES Interview with JinAir Manager Han Sang-Yong

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
juki
Profile Joined April 2012
68 Posts
August 23 2013 07:32 GMT
#1
JinAir Manager Han Sang-Yong: "Jaedong, come back"

[image loading]


JinAir Green Wings manager Han Sang-Yong first made his name in e-sports as an assistant to Hwaseung Oz manager Cho Jung-Oong. Although he took charge of the team after manager Cho's retirement, within a year Hwaseung was forced to disband. He joined Team 8 but not as the manager. Under manager Joo Hoon he was a coach, and became head coach after manager Joo left the day to day operations of the team. For someone who was once a manager, spending two years back as a coach shows his affection for e-sports.

Although no one could know how things would go for the team, manager Han trusted his players. This past July, with JinAir's sponsorship, he became manager once again. Now he must take care of a League of Legends team in addition to the StarCraft 2 team. Because things are not yet established, it is quite a burden to bear.

Even so, manager Han describes working in e-sports as his happiest time. As he prepared big developments at the newly renamed JinAir team, we met with manager Han Sang-Yong to hear his thoughts.

It's been 3 weeks since JinAir started the sponsorship, how are things?
Until now, I know there have been many attempts to find a sponsor. I heard there had been many cases where things were going smoothly but fell apart at the last minute. Eventually, the fear of disappointment was greater than the feeling of anticipation. Although we had received official notice from JinAir, it didn't sink in until the public announcement. However, after seeing us announce the sponsorship in front of many people I could see that it was a new birth for the team.

After gaining sponsorship, the burden seems to have increased
Since we had not made the official announcement yet, rather than feeling relieved I thought of it as just the beginning. With the feeling of starting fresh, not only did we need to work hard, we also needed to show results. It was the beginning of a difficult road (laugh).

How do you feel about the last Proleague season?
In a way, I had confidence in StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty. Our rookies' roles helped the team atmosphere. During the switch to StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm, we had a good feeling about our prospects. However as the switch happened we were not able to adapt well. With our rookies racking up consecutive losses it was a difficult time to get through. I did my best to help them but it took a long time.
Even so, I could not abandon the new players. For example, Kim Doh-Wook (Cure) kept losing but it was something he had to overcome so I kept sending him out. All new players become scared when they lose matches. At that time we can let them rest, but then it takes longer for them to progress past it. Last season was a necessary step for the success of the team.

After gaining sponsorship from JinAir, what else do you need?
Honestly I wish for Lee Jae-Dong to return to the team. I would like for him to become our central pillar. His own will is important, but as a team we want him back. Also, now that the new players have achieved some success, he can depend on the coaching staff to deliver good results. Last season we were seen as a weak team, but this season, I want for us to be a dark horse.

The foreign player who came to play in Korea, Juan "MajOr" Lopez, must remain in your thoughts
He occasionally wrote us in English, "I miss you guys" or "I want to go to JinAir". To that, I jokingly wrote "Missing You". He told us that even if a foreign team tried to recruit him, he would not leave us. When I asked him why, he said it was because he would not be able to improve his skills as much with a foreign team. He wants to come back to the team but the competition is not easy. When he plays well he makes top 100 grandmaster league, but in order to participate, he will have to make at least the top 50. He was not able to make the last steps necessary to succeed as a pro, and I am sad and sorry about that.

Is there a particular player you have hopes for next season?
I would say Choi Jong-Hwan (CoCa). This is his first time on a Kespa team, so I do worry a little. But I think if we take care of him he will do well. The other players will do better than last season. The new players are doing well but I think that they can improve even more. Last season our Zerg line was a bit weak but now I have the wonderful problem of having to decide which strong player to send out (laugh).

Now that things have been resolved, tell us about Bang Tae-Soo (TRUE) and his retirement incident
When Tae-Soo joined out team he worked hard. All of the teammates considered him a hard worker. However, with switch to Heart of the Swarm his performance dropped. We were concerned; it seemed that he had lost interest in the game. Having difficulty adapting, he kept playing the same style as in Wings of Liberty. He must have had many thoughts at that time. One day we had a personal talk and he told me he wanted to retire.

After a few days he said he wanted to try the game again. I told him, "Retiring and returning again will be a handicap to the team rather than a help. You are doing well in individual leagues so don't think about retirement in the middle of the season".

I watched him closely after that. Although the World Championship Series (WCS) Challenger League was happening, he continued practicing late by himself even after normal sessions were over. Even during the vacation period he showed his hardworking side. It was the same look he had when he first joined the team. I am convinced to trust in him once again.

A few days ago the fans came to the practice house and bought us food. They asked, "is it okay if we smack Tae-soo?" Hearing that a player announcing retirement would again stand on the stage was a big surprise to the fans as well.

[image loading]


Now that you manage the League of Legends team as well, you must have to learn the game
It's fun. People have a tendency to slack off when work becomes routine, so having something new to learn with LOL keeps me busy and interested. Stealth (one of the LOL squads) was eliminated, which is regrettable, but I think it is expected given their current level. I definitely feel that they need to improve. Rather than pressure the players, we are trying to help shore up their weak points. Stealth won a match against Najin but we are still trying to fix their ongoing issues from before.

You really gave Najin a hard time
People have been saying that. Before the game, I went in the booth and told the players, "Don't think of anything else, just focus on our team's match." Even winning just one match, I wanted to show our team's solidarity. I think they were focused until the end. Though up until now they lost a lot in practice and were unable to trust each other, they were able to play like that.

Before the match with Najin I had a drink with the players and shared stories. I told them that anyone can be beaten. We are currently trying to shore up each other's weak points. Our top lane player Yeo Chang-Dong (Trace) had a lot of trouble and looked to be slumping even when we won. I have to know about many different champions but right now my knowledge is very limited. I asked them a lot about champion selection. Thankfully they practiced hard and were able to show a good result.

What about Falcon, which is in the Round of 8?
We are still trying to get in sync. Falcon's team atmosphere is very volatile. When things go well they are very strong, but in the opposite case they often fall apart. In the MVP open they showed an unwinnable game. We need to get that aspect under control.

You've become a manager again after two years. What kind of leader do you want to be?
When I joined Team 8 I was a regular coach rather than manager but I do not regret it. The specific position is not as important as doing work that I enjoy. When Hwaseung Oz disbanded, I considered doing other work, but I did not think that anything could be as fun as e-sports. It is very nice working here.

Practicing together and sleeping together with the players, I feel like we've become closer than lovers. I've been a manager and coach up until now, but in terms of a family, I want to become a motherly figure. Rather than a person who scolds, I want to be someone who can protect and care for the players. I want to be able to shelter the players even when they whine and complain. The coaching staff can take care of punishment.

Original article by Kim Yong-Woo kenzi@dailyesports.com
PM me if you want a BW-related item translated (stuff on former players is okay as well)
lichter
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
1001 YEARS KESPAJAIL22272 Posts
August 23 2013 07:41 GMT
#2
Thanks for the interview! Lol @ fans wanting to smack TRUE
AdministratorYOU MUST HEED MY INSTRUCTIONS TAKE OFF YOUR THIIIINGS
GTR
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
51693 Posts
August 23 2013 07:57 GMT
#3
For those who aren't aware of the head coaches background - before he became coach for Hwaseung Oz, he was the guild leader for the popular [gm] clan on US West (Fighter[gm]). His background is much like Coach Kang's of IM (where he was guild leader of the [Name] clan).
Commentator
Ureth_RA
Profile Joined July 2011
United States78 Posts
August 23 2013 07:57 GMT
#4
Lol everytime I see jin air I'm like "who the f is this team?"
Pein Is Love
Pandemona *
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Charlie Sheens House51493 Posts
August 23 2013 08:06 GMT
#5
Nice interview thanks!!!! Looks like JinAir want Jaedong back to boost the profile even more. They are clearly going the right way now, didn't know they had 2 LoL teams either, thats good! I hope EGJDRC isn't taken away from me even though i know he only signed a 1 year deal and he has always had in the back of his mind potentially going back to Team8(JinAir)
ModeratorTeam Liquid Football Thread Guru! - Chelsea FC ♥
NovemberstOrm
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
Canada16217 Posts
August 23 2013 08:08 GMT
#6
Thanks for the interview!
Moderatorlickypiddy
Existential
Profile Joined December 2010
Australia2107 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-23 08:10:26
August 23 2013 08:08 GMT
#7
Thanks for the interview!

And I just noticed that he looks exactly like someone I know from my uni...
Jaedong <3 | BW - The first game I ever loved
EngrishTeacher
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
Canada1109 Posts
August 23 2013 08:24 GMT
#8
Damn, top 50 GM on KR server just to participate in Proleague...

Is SC2 a hard game or is SC2 a HARD game.
a176
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada6688 Posts
August 23 2013 08:28 GMT
#9
reminder

[image loading]

those team8 shirts
starleague forever
metzninja
Profile Joined November 2010
New Zealand626 Posts
August 23 2013 08:37 GMT
#10
hahahaha poor TRUE. All the best, JinAir!
Marou
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Germany1371 Posts
August 23 2013 08:40 GMT
#11
Practicing together and sleeping together with the players, I feel like we've become closer than lovers. I've been a manager and coach up until now, but in terms of a family, I want to become a motherly figure


ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ so cute :D
twitter@RickyMarou
Ctesias
Profile Joined December 2012
4595 Posts
August 23 2013 08:44 GMT
#12
Nice interview. Thanks.

Glad to hear he has high expectations on Coca. Would be really glad to see him perform well in the future.
Flash | Mvp
Kergy
Profile Joined December 2010
Peru2011 Posts
August 23 2013 08:58 GMT
#13
yes! go back Jaedong I'll be your fan again
Everyday Girl's Day~!
massivez
Profile Joined May 2010
Belgium653 Posts
August 23 2013 11:35 GMT
#14
Lol that dis onto Major:s. I feel so bad for him.
partydude89
Profile Blog Joined August 2012
1850 Posts
August 23 2013 11:43 GMT
#15
i've liked being able to see JD more at tournies. i hope he stays with EG. really sad about major though. top 100 gm is nothing to be ashamed of though.
#1 Official Hack Fan|#2 Bomber behind Wintex.|Curious|Life|Flash|TY|Cure|Maru|sOs|Jin Air Green Wings fighting!|SBENU Fighting!|
ZodaSoda
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Australia1191 Posts
August 24 2013 03:23 GMT
#16
poor Major
Alliance *cough* EG *cough* should add him and let him at least train in their house...
LiquipediaI'm the strongest Dragon that you've ever seen, You're gonna die motherfucker, I take up five screens. -Kraid
AndAgain
Profile Joined November 2010
United States2621 Posts
August 24 2013 03:27 GMT
#17
I'm curious about the Jaehoon retirement. Guessing this interview was done before it happened.
All your teeth should fall out and hair should grow in their place!
aRyuujin
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States5049 Posts
August 24 2013 03:29 GMT
#18
On August 24 2013 12:23 ZodaSoda wrote:
poor Major
Alliance *cough* EG *cough* should add him and let him at least train in their house...


if only he was swedish
can i get my estro logo back pls
skatblast
Profile Joined September 2011
United States784 Posts
August 24 2013 03:31 GMT
#19
On August 24 2013 12:23 ZodaSoda wrote:
poor Major
Alliance *cough* EG *cough* should add him and let him at least train in their house...


Don't think a Swedish team is going to sign a Mexican
Zenbrez
Profile Joined June 2012
Canada5973 Posts
August 24 2013 03:39 GMT
#20
Do you know when exactly this interview was done? Before JD got 2nd in WCS NA?
Refer to my post.
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings58
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
davetesta31
Liquipedia
BSL Open Qualifier
19:00
Jungsu & Hasu #1
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 150
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 10819
White-Ra 516
Dota 2
monkeys_forever727
NeuroSwarm4
League of Legends
Doublelift6390
JimRising 630
Counter-Strike
fl0m13857
minikerr6
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox894
AZ_Axe138
Other Games
summit1g8712
Maynarde196
KnowMe195
ArmadaUGS137
Mew2King33
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1066
BasetradeTV183
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 8
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 62
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
9h 26m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
10h 26m
Monday Night Weeklies
15h 26m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 9h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 9h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 23h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.