• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:30
CEST 23:30
KST 06:30
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8043 users

[H]Unnecessary Stimming?

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
nytelynx
Profile Joined August 2010
Australia56 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-10 09:05:35
October 10 2010 09:03 GMT
#1
Im a decent Platinum level terran player, and i've happened to notice in my replays, that when im in a battle, involving a bio ball, i tend to stim way too much. As a result, that might make me lose but I think why I stim so much is because of my fear of not knowing the proper time stim lasts as im not really counting etc when im trying to attack and thus I have red units. I have a replay where I stim quite alot in one battle.

http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/88939-1v1-terran-protoss-xelnaga-caverns#rd:undefined;markup

I get to a point where I stimmed about 4 seconds right after I just stimmed, it might be panic. I do win this game however but its just an example. Its just I want to find a way to slowly not stim so much during a battle, I estimate 1-2 stims is about all you would need for a battle, but I just dont end up with only 1-2 stims in a battle, usually when im kiting or similar i stim and move, stim and move. Any ideas?
Bibzball
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
France250 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-10 09:08:24
October 10 2010 09:07 GMT
#2
You have several ways to know
- As you play you will have that timer in your head that tells you when to stim again
- You just see in your battle that your units don't fire that quickly
- You have that small icon above your head (a red thunderbolt) that says that stim has worn off (I think that's the easiest way to know)

I'm not a terran player but you should stim again only when the red icon appears and that you feel the battle is still losable.
DANIEL ! GET OUT OF THE WATER !!!
noerml
Profile Joined October 2010
7 Posts
October 10 2010 09:18 GMT
#3
hm...i actually do have a different problem. How much stimming is too much. Since I play random I am probably not the best terran anyway, but I do notice it when I am zerg a lot - my opponents stimming once too much and his units becoming one shots
Shikyo
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Finland33997 Posts
October 10 2010 10:34 GMT
#4
Stim lasts for forever so you can just stim as the battle starts and I guarantee you that it'll last until the end.
League of Legends EU West, Platinum III | Yousei Teikoku is the best thing that has ever happened to music.
Sigrun
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
United States1655 Posts
October 10 2010 10:38 GMT
#5
I believe you can tell when stim ends when the little green mark above your units turn red.
Graphics
huyNh
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada366 Posts
October 10 2010 10:43 GMT
#6
Yeah use those marks. Overstimming shouldn't be much of a problem. You shouldn't fear stim running out because it does last quite a while and assuming you're stimming all your units together, the giant red marks popping up altogether should be a clear and visible indicator that stim has run out. Even in big battles, I can still tell if my units have run out of stim.
huyNh.703
asmo.0
Profile Joined August 2010
Norway318 Posts
October 10 2010 12:25 GMT
#7
Also, if you don't have medivacs out yet, I don't recommend stimming your marines more than once in a battle... If you're comfortable enough with battle micro, you can ctrl click the mauraders and stim only those. This is ofc not the case if you got big balls of banelings following you.
D-Lite
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United Kingdom223 Posts
October 10 2010 12:43 GMT
#8
the right time to stim again is NEVER coz after the first one your opponents army is dead and your half way to his base before it runs out.

im not 100% sure blizzard factored stim into the way its used now, critical mass of marines with stim is an army you just cannot engage.

its not so bad in bw because of the control groups and actually having to actively micro your rines to get some use out of stim instead of it being a bane.

all that considered, the ability is too powerful, lasts too long and marauders SHOULD NOT have it

User was temp banned for this post.
Real men proxygate
ChickenLips
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
2912 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-10 12:50:15
October 10 2010 12:47 GMT
#9
On October 10 2010 21:43 D-Lite wrote:
the right time to stim again is NEVER coz after the first one your opponents army is dead and your half way to his base before it runs out.

im not 100% sure blizzard factored stim into the way its used now, critical mass of marines with stim is an army you just cannot engage.

its not so bad in bw because of the control groups and actually having to actively micro your rines to get some use out of stim instead of it being a bane.

all that considered, the ability is too powerful, lasts too long and marauders SHOULD NOT have it


Thank you for this shitty rant. I hope you get banned.

Regarding the topic, I always try to be VERY aware of when I stim, only if it's a battle I really wanna fight and only if my opponent commits his army. Nothing is more annoying than enemy units just flying away after you stimmed to take them down. (1 stim of a bio ball is a lot of medivac energy)

also if you stim too much just dont stim too much. only press the t button before a fight or when you see the red lightnings above your stuff (indicating stim is out)
❤Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ✿
Hautamaki
Profile Blog Joined December 2003
Canada1311 Posts
October 10 2010 12:48 GMT
#10
Yeah I wonder why Marauders have it in multiplayer when they don't have it in single player.
True learning is not the memorization of knowledge; it is the internalization of patterns.
fishball232
Profile Joined May 2010
United States90 Posts
October 10 2010 12:54 GMT
#11
marauder with stims is a bad idea
"You really have to detach yourself and accept that you suck at StarCraft. Like I suck at StarCraft and it's all I've done for 15 years"-Artosis 2013
Viikuna
Profile Joined September 2010
4 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-10 13:21:18
October 10 2010 13:20 GMT
#12
They just dont suffer as much of bad side effects of drugs as marines do, since they only take 20 damage from stim, which is only 16% of max health.

Maybe there is something that should be tweaked a lil bit.

I used to have this one cool black guy in my avatar, back in the days of wc3 modding.
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 12h 30m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ZombieGrub269
Nina 174
NeuroSwarm 98
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 14457
NaDa 14
Bale 13
Dota 2
febbydoto16
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King46
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4006
Liquid`Hasu607
Other Games
summit1g2387
Liquid`RaSZi1932
shahzam506
WinterStarcraft383
ToD346
C9.Mang0272
JuggernautJason32
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream42
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 35
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• TFBlade949
Other Games
• imaqtpie1057
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
12h 30m
INu's Battles
13h 30m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
15h 30m
OSC
1d
Replay Cast
1d 1h
OSC
2 days
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.