• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:05
CEST 06:05
KST 13:05
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BW General Discussion [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Rp8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8280 users

[D] New AIs

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 Next All
Inkarnate
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada840 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-08 03:52:41
July 08 2010 03:48 GMT
#1
All the difficulties are available now:

Easy
Medium
Hard
Very Hard
Insane

Only played vs Insane and Very Hard. Insane resource cheats, receives 7 minerals and 6 gas per trip. Very hard does not, though it has good timing and seems like decent BOs so far.

Only played 1 game vs each so not sure how many builds they have but they are a decent challenge as of now.

Heading out for now, let me know what builds you find them doing, can post replays tomorrow.

Known builds:
+ Show Spoiler +
PvP Insane:
- 1 Base Warp Gate Rush (Steppes of War)

PvP Very Hard:
- 1 Gate Core into Immortal & Nexus (Blistering Sands)


Edit: Thanks
knyttym
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
United States5797 Posts
July 08 2010 03:50 GMT
#2
Insane gets 7 minerals per trip and 6 gas.
Zeromadcowz
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada241 Posts
July 08 2010 03:52 GMT
#3
i found very hard pretty normal, i was able to out macro without harass
eckm
Profile Joined May 2010
United States72 Posts
July 08 2010 03:52 GMT
#4
They don't really micro, but I think they may target fire sometimes... maybe I just imagined it in the one game I played versus v hard.
turn on, tune in, drop out
alonestar_ak
Profile Joined June 2010
Afghanistan31 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-08 03:57:01
July 08 2010 03:56 GMT
#5
How is this compared to Green Tea AI, is it better ? I mean the normal version of Green Tea and the Very Hard Ai of blizzard
Euphemism
Profile Joined June 2010
Canada57 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-08 03:57:33
July 08 2010 03:57 GMT
#6
How does it compare against Starcrack/GreenTea/etc?

Edit: Ninja'd. :X
Nexic
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States729 Posts
July 08 2010 04:01 GMT
#7
I can't create a custom game, I've downloaded a few maps and relogged several times. When I select "create game" it just grays out. Anyone have this problem?
tertle
Profile Joined February 2010
Australia328 Posts
July 08 2010 04:07 GMT
#8
only played a 8 player ffa with 7 insane (for achievement)

seems like they scout around a lot, but to me it seems like they maphack anyway

also obvious resource cheats

pretty agressive if you close by, but not that smart. if you lift off or island expand or something they won't drop you or build air or anything.
Zerksys
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States569 Posts
July 08 2010 04:24 GMT
#9
On July 08 2010 13:01 Nexic wrote:
I can't create a custom game, I've downloaded a few maps and relogged several times. When I select "create game" it just grays out. Anyone have this problem?


Just wait it's just super laggy. Create it and then wait like 10 minutes
What's that probe doing there? It's a scout. You mean one of those flying planes? No....
Nexic
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States729 Posts
July 08 2010 04:40 GMT
#10
Gotcha. Not sure if I should bother waiting or just mess around in a build order tester like the past month -_-
Cofo
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States1388 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-08 04:43:29
July 08 2010 04:41 GMT
#11
Tried on very hard first, beat it easily.

Then I went up to insane. So far I've only done against terran and all I've seen is nonstop pumping of marine/marauders with no teching or expanding. My guess is that they only tech if the game goes on long enough.

The first few I just got rolled by their first attack, since I was trying to tech. Then I just said screw it and proxy gated, and won pretty easily. They seem to go very light on the defense at the beginning, making them vulnerable to rushes. I think it made 3 raxes before the first marine.

Overall, the Insane AI seems decently difficult, albeit extremely predictable. I'm going back to try winning a straight up game again, so we'll see how it goes. I might try turtling up to see if they tech/expand in the late game.
+ Show Spoiler +
LarJarsE
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States1378 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-08 04:45:35
July 08 2010 04:45 GMT
#12
Lol you proxy gated..

Maybe try a more defensive build and ninja expand? Does the AI even scout? testestestestest
since 98'
IskatuMesk
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Canada969 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-08 05:01:42
July 08 2010 04:56 GMT
#13
The AI is very poor. They pretty much took Very Easy and gave it a higher APM cap and bonus resource turn-ins. They've actually run themselves out of money because they don't expand and mine out. The only part that makes them threatening is when their bonus money kicks in early-in and they get a lot of units. After that they gradually run themselves into the ground by refusing to upgrade, expand, or tech.

I have not played Green Tea or anything but I'm pretty sure anyone with Galaxy knowledge could walk in and make the AI's build orders somewhat coherent (Dual robo before warp gates? wuh?) and make them expand more and they would be far more dangerous.

As it is the Zerg basically made Roaches to fight my carriers off of one base 25 minutes into the game.

Also I'm pretty sure the Insane AI can see units above a cliff without vision, but I need to test this more thoroughly.

Very disappointing but mechanically the AI has improved over the earlier AI; it just needs direction.

/e

To go more elaborate into the AI's major weaknesses;

The AI does not fully saturate its bases (20 drones with saturated gasses). Early on the resource bonus gives it a significant advantage. The Zerg built 3 hatcheries and acquired 2 queens. However, when the time came to made units it quickly bottomed out in cash and did not expand for another 12 minutes; by the its main was almost dry. It did not make extractors on that expansion until the ones in its main were dry and it was out of gas. At several points early on it was sitting on 1k minerals and 2k gas while doing nothing; it should have been aggressively expanding, clearly.

Having built AI's in sc1 to take advantage of free money from a purely macro standpoint it was downright painful to watch this AI.
SirNeb
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
United States243 Posts
July 08 2010 05:01 GMT
#14
On July 08 2010 13:56 IskatuMesk wrote:
The AI is very poor. They pretty much took Very Easy and gave it a higher APM cap and bonus resource turn-ins. They've actually run themselves out of money because they don't expand and mine out. The only part that makes them threatening is when their bonus money kicks in early-in and they get a lot of units. After that they gradually run themselves into the ground by refusing to upgrade, expand, or tech.

I have not played Green Tea or anything but I'm pretty sure anyone with Galaxy knowledge could walk in and make the AI's build orders somewhat coherent (Dual robo before warp gates? wuh?) and make them expand more and they would be far more dangerous.

As it is the Zerg basically made Roaches to fight my carriers off of one base 25 minutes into the game.


Ya, the AI is bad. I tried insane my first game as terran versus random(zerg). I didn't really know what to expect, but I scouted him, he had way more money than he should had so I knew it was a cheating AI. Once I defended the first couple rushes, because they don't expo, I pulled ahead in late game and just rolled him with the perfect combos.
Ndugu
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1078 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-08 05:03:19
July 08 2010 05:02 GMT
#15
Very quickly played a game against very hard (highest non-cheating) and it was piss poor.

I was able to hold off a single-base roach push with two stalkers and micro. AI def needs to get a bit smarter.
Nexic
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States729 Posts
July 08 2010 05:11 GMT
#16
I haven't been able to play any games but it sounds like GreenTea is better than this AI, dissapointing
Cofo
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States1388 Posts
July 08 2010 05:35 GMT
#17
Okay, so I tried turtling up against Terran to see what he would do. I fast expanded on Lost Temple and walled myself in with nothing but cannons.

The first few attacks he ran up to my front door and apparently saw that he couldn't win, and retreated. This happened several times before he decided to get Battlecruisers. By the end of the game (around 30 mins) he had expanded to his natural, the gold, and the island. Eventually I got mined out and overwhelmed by brute force MMM and BCs. He also made several ravens and ghosts, and just a few vikings.

Some other interesting things I noted:
- He had one medivac constantly scouting the entire map.
- They do scout with an SCV at the beginning, but what they see doesn't seem to influence the build. I think it's more to find out where you are.
- Built several factories, but never produced anything out of them.
- SCV transferred to new expansions.
- Got a nuke(!) but never used it ()
- 600 average APM, peaking at around 2300.

So basically, the AI likes brute force, but is not particularly intelligent. At all. In all likelihood, it will pretty much stick to one build and remain almost completely predictable. Seems to be your typical video game AI. I'm a little disappointed that they didn't make it more interesting, but hopefully they'll put some more work into it after release.
+ Show Spoiler +
Chairman Ray
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States11903 Posts
July 08 2010 05:39 GMT
#18
The AI is done terribly. Greentea is better, Auir is better, Strategy AI, is better, heck most AI scripts that people made are better. The Insane AI is a terrible idea. Playing against a computer with extra minerals is probably degrading to your skill since the timings are different from normal games.
MiyaviTeddy
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Canada697 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-08 05:47:02
July 08 2010 05:41 GMT
#19
This explains everything. I was playing Insane and I just couldn't figure out why the computer pumped out so much units in such a short time span. I've played enough games to know little things like "At this time, this player should and shouldn't have..." etc etc.

Here I thought my skills were so rusty and diminished, only to find out the insane AI is just cheating. Gave me one heck of a game though.

As far as I'm concerned, it does help me keep me alert and play more intensely for an AI.

But the AI is just terrible really. I still noticed some old AI behaviors and it just isn't quite smart.

Btw, if you're wondering, a good way to play the AI is just load up the map editor, load a map, change player 2 to computer, computer AI, change your race, etc etc, edit the preference [Test document] or something and set your difficulty and whatnot and actually test the map.
Aiyeeeee
SichuanPanda
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada1542 Posts
July 08 2010 05:54 GMT
#20
On July 08 2010 14:41 MiyaviTeddy wrote:
This explains everything. I was playing Insane and I just couldn't figure out why the computer pumped out so much units in such a short time span. I've played enough games to know little things like "At this time, this player should and shouldn't have..." etc etc.

Here I thought my skills were so rusty and diminished, only to find out the insane AI is just cheating. Gave me one heck of a game though.

As far as I'm concerned, it does help me keep me alert and play more intensely for an AI.

But the AI is just terrible really. I still noticed some old AI behaviors and it just isn't quite smart.

Btw, if you're wondering, a good way to play the AI is just load up the map editor, load a map, change player 2 to computer, computer AI, change your race, etc etc, edit the preference [Test document] or something and set your difficulty and whatnot and actually test the map.


Blizzard codes AIs for casuals clearly, and casuals see 'Insane' as 'should be un-beatable' and so they make it cheat with extra resources.
i-bonjwa
1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 56m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SortOf 24
Nina 21
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2384
Shinee 55
NotJumperer 16
Noble 8
Dota 2
monkeys_forever867
NeuroSwarm196
Heroes of the Storm
WinterStarcraft423
Other Games
summit1g7680
Coldzera 747
JimRising 687
C9.Mang0372
PiGStarcraft263
ArmadaUGS27
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1000
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream362
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo1028
• Rush974
• Stunt191
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5h 56m
Afreeca Starleague
5h 56m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
19h 56m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 6h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.