• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:47
CEST 00:47
KST 07:47
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)19Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9129 users

"Magic Boxes" for flyers in SC2

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Feefee
Profile Joined November 2009
Canada556 Posts
May 27 2010 11:54 GMT
#1
I was playing around in the map editor a bit to try to find some effective way of attacking siege tanks ZvT and I found something surprising (to me at least) in the process:

What I wanted to do was see how effective it would be to drop your entire army onto the tanks, but when I told my overlords to unload on top of the tank position they would all clump up on top of each other and drop their units onto the exact same spot. Needless to say that's not particularly smart when you're fighting units that do splash damage.

By freak accident though, while testing various units to drop on tanks, my overlords obediently flew over to the drop point, but they kept formation, and instead of clumping up they dropped a nice carpet of units onto the entire tank area.
Turns out that (as far as I can tell) air units will respect each others airspace if they were completely adjacent to each other before you tell them to move. In my overlord case what I did was first tell all my overlords to move to a specific spot, causing them all to clump up there. After their clump they would drift apart until they all were "touching" but not overlapping. If you tell a group of overlords like that to drop on a target point they will do so in formation.

Not sure if that was particularly known to anyone but I personally was pleasantly surprised. Incidentally it only works if all your selected overlords are in "formation". If one of the overlords is misplaced the entire group will go back to clumping up. Hence it reminding me of magic boxes.
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
May 27 2010 11:57 GMT
#2
Have you tried with other units? Or is this just an overlord thing? (interesting discovery nonetheless)
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
Puosu
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
7080 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-27 12:01:27
May 27 2010 12:01 GMT
#3
Yes there indeed is a magic box still in effect in SC2, works for all units including ground units.
The box however is a lot smaller in SC2, dunno if spells like storm can be used with this because of smart casting but its cool nonetheless.
Feefee
Profile Joined November 2009
Canada556 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-27 12:07:49
May 27 2010 12:02 GMT
#4
On May 27 2010 20:57 Plexa wrote:
Have you tried with other units? Or is this just an overlord thing? (interesting discovery nonetheless)



Not extensively. I tried it with mutas attacking thor because I figured it'd help against splash, but I don't think it works when specifically attacking a unit. At least my mutas still clumped up a bit so they could all hit the thor.

EDIT: I take that back, it's great vs thor as long as you move command your mutas into range and then attack-click the thor when all the muta are in range
Kratisto
Profile Joined June 2008
United States199 Posts
May 27 2010 12:04 GMT
#5
The magic box is still in SC2, but it seems to be smaller relative to the unit size. It's further ignored because people move their units in giant balls because they can.
Asta
Profile Joined October 2002
Germany3491 Posts
May 27 2010 12:19 GMT
#6
Magic Boxes are there for all units, so I don't think this will come as a surprise to many people. For better effect you should still order your overlords individually to drop while flying, like in BW without the "center of gravity" trick. Would be interesting to know if that trick still works but I doubt it.
T0fuuu
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Australia2275 Posts
May 27 2010 12:33 GMT
#7
couldyou post a replay and a time please ?
Feefee
Profile Joined November 2009
Canada556 Posts
May 27 2010 12:39 GMT
#8
On May 27 2010 21:19 Asta wrote:
Magic Boxes are there for all units, so I don't think this will come as a surprise to many people. For better effect you should still order your overlords individually to drop while flying, like in BW without the "center of gravity" trick. Would be interesting to know if that trick still works but I doubt it.


Don't think the center of gravity trick works unfortunately. When trying to drop on tanks though I don't think that'd a smart technique to use anyways =P. I suppose I shouldn't have called it a magic box. You're right that the true SC1 magic boxes exist for all units (but are tiny). This one is more of a special air unit feature, since those units are programmed to allow for overlapping. Air units have those tiny SC1-like magic boxes as well, but this way of holding formation works outside of those boxes.
Feefee
Profile Joined November 2009
Canada556 Posts
May 27 2010 13:00 GMT
#9
On May 27 2010 21:33 T0fuuu wrote:
couldyou post a replay and a time please ?


Just a custom map replay to show the difference? I suppose I could~
[url blocked]

I haven't used it in a real game yet. I HAVE tried dropping my army the "all in one spot" way in the past though. It wasn't pretty.
rotinegg
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States1719 Posts
May 27 2010 13:07 GMT
#10
interesting i could really use this
Translator
SupremeMe
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden227 Posts
May 27 2010 13:14 GMT
#11
A little off topic :You mentioned that they will drop of the units in a nice carpet. I have always wanted my drop ships to do this. All I get is that they move to the position and then stand still and drop them all off.
How can I make them move and drop at the same time? Do I have to click on the units inside the ships to force them out?
Distributor of pain - Your loss becomes my gain
Shouryu
Profile Joined April 2010
Norway132 Posts
May 27 2010 13:18 GMT
#12
Does this magic box dropping work if you move while dropping?
</post>
sudo.era
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States300 Posts
May 27 2010 13:44 GMT
#13
On May 27 2010 22:14 SupremeMe wrote:
A little off topic :You mentioned that they will drop of the units in a nice carpet. I have always wanted my drop ships to do this. All I get is that they move to the position and then stand still and drop them all off.
How can I make them move and drop at the same time? Do I have to click on the units inside the ships to force them out?

I dunno about dropships... I don't even know if it still works in SC2. What I do know is that in BW, you would command your overlords to move, then tell each individual ovie to drop all units on itself.
SupremeMe
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden227 Posts
May 27 2010 14:00 GMT
#14
On May 27 2010 22:44 sudo.era wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 27 2010 22:14 SupremeMe wrote:
A little off topic :You mentioned that they will drop of the units in a nice carpet. I have always wanted my drop ships to do this. All I get is that they move to the position and then stand still and drop them all off.
How can I make them move and drop at the same time? Do I have to click on the units inside the ships to force them out?

I dunno about dropships... I don't even know if it still works in SC2. What I do know is that in BW, you would command your overlords to move, then tell each individual ovie to drop all units on itself.


Just tried it out and that worked, even for drop ships or medivacs, Thanks!
Distributor of pain - Your loss becomes my gain
DeCoup
Profile Joined September 2006
Australia1933 Posts
May 27 2010 15:20 GMT
#15
On May 27 2010 22:14 SupremeMe wrote:
A little off topic :You mentioned that they will drop of the units in a nice carpet. I have always wanted my drop ships to do this. All I get is that they move to the position and then stand still and drop them all off.
How can I make them move and drop at the same time? Do I have to click on the units inside the ships to force them out?

1) Issue a move command past the drop location with any SC2 transport unit
2) when the transport is at the position you wish to start the carpet drop press unload and click on the transport unit.
The transport will continue to fly to its move location and drop units simultaneously.
"Poor guy. I really did not deserve that win. So this is what it's like to play Protoss..." - IdrA
Kratisto
Profile Joined June 2008
United States199 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-27 16:24:16
May 27 2010 16:23 GMT
#16
You can also do that on multiple units as a Shift+ command. It looks like
1: Send your dropships/ovies/prisms to where you want to begin dropping (move command), and in your cute magic box pattern.
2: Before they get there, press shift+D (unload) and then click each of your ships while still holding Shift.
3: Either give them another shift+Move before they get to the drop location or give them move commands once they have started to drop units. They will continue to move in the path you specify while dropping units once per second.

Speaking of dropships, I want to start trying to use Warp Prisms more as Protoss. They seem oft neglected for a unit which can drop a Colossus in your base, then immediately reinforce it.
zomgzergrush
Profile Joined August 2008
United States923 Posts
May 27 2010 16:32 GMT
#17
Does this mean doom drop has been reduced by a couple actions now?
Bronze skipping straight to Diamond in 40 games retail release. Bnet 2.0 ladder really takes it's sweet time to think about that league placement.
Kratisto
Profile Joined June 2008
United States199 Posts
May 27 2010 17:03 GMT
#18
Not really, but you can take those actions at your convenience now (on the way to his base, rather than once you've dropped and you'd rather be microing your army instead of your dropships).
Feefee
Profile Joined November 2009
Canada556 Posts
May 27 2010 20:19 GMT
#19
On May 28 2010 01:23 Kratisto wrote:
You can also do that on multiple units as a Shift+ command. It looks like
1: Send your dropships/ovies/prisms to where you want to begin dropping (move command), and in your cute magic box pattern.
2: Before they get there, press shift+D (unload) and then click each of your ships while still holding Shift.
3: Either give them another shift+Move before they get to the drop location or give them move commands once they have started to drop units. They will continue to move in the path you specify while dropping units once per second.

Speaking of dropships, I want to start trying to use Warp Prisms more as Protoss. They seem oft neglected for a unit which can drop a Colossus in your base, then immediately reinforce it.


Wow nice find, I didn't know that. Guess we have our "center of gravity" drop equivalent back completely now.
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 11h 13m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ViBE160
Nina 114
Nathanias 66
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 14423
Artosis 499
White-Ra 272
ToSsGirL 36
Dota 2
monkeys_forever414
NeuroSwarm124
League of Legends
Doublelift3831
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox911
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1915
Liquid`Hasu1446
Trikslyr61
Other Games
summit1g7957
Grubby4113
ArmadaUGS1048
shahzam588
JimRising 298
C9.Mang0245
ZombieGrub57
Mew2King44
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV210
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream110
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 34
• Hupsaiya 28
• davetesta28
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 36
• Azhi_Dahaki28
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1131
• Scarra992
• Shiphtur221
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
11h 13m
OSC
14h 13m
Stellar Fest
14h 13m
OSC
1d 1h
Stellar Fest
1d 14h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.