• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:38
CEST 11:38
KST 18:38
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)76Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8118 users

The Ultimate Headphone/Audio Thread. Seriously - Page 33

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 31 32 33 34 35 47 Next All
Strafe578
Profile Joined November 2011
Canada67 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-14 23:23:53
December 14 2013 23:21 GMT
#641
Hi, im planning on getting a pair of Sennheiser IE80's for Christmas and I was wondering if anyone has tried these. I tried searching for other reviews but the only good one i found was on LinusTechTips.

I will be mainly using these outdoors (on my phone) hence why I prefer IEMS rather than bulky on-ear/over-ears. My current audio equipment is a (I know =/) Razer Megalodons / Samsung in-ears. The main concern I have is the durability of the earphones, i'm generally a very careful person and take care of my equipment but the Samsung IEMS just broke really quickly.

Any feedback/advice would be greatly appreciated, Thank!
mahnini
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
United States6862 Posts
December 17 2013 05:03 GMT
#642
i'm looking for nice long session (3 hours+) headphones for flights. obviously, sound isolation is #1 with comfort a close second.

the bose qc15 is at the top of my list right now but i'm wondering if the sennheiser amperiors isolation can rival anc? might be a terrible question as most people don't cross shop these but, hey, it's worth a shot.
the world's a playground. you know that when you're a kid, but somewhere along the way everyone forgets it.
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-17 05:36:04
December 17 2013 05:34 GMT
#643
@Strafe578

Most decently expensive sets from established manufacturers should have decent durability, but I don't know about the IE80s in particular. No IEMs are really that great at handling really heavy abuse though.

There are some models with replaceable cables, if it's the jack or cables that are going bad on you. That said, the connection for the cables to the IEM housings, by necessity, are fairly small on these so that's another potential weak point. These should be fairly robust though.


@mahnini

No, the Amperior's isolation can't.

Check upper-right graph. Of course, results on a dummy head, but it should be pretty representative. Or maybe not. I'm not entirely sure of the methodology used and whether or not it is relatively easy for ANC to work with.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserAmperior.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BoseQuietComfort15.pdf

Note that low-frequency isolation (well, in effect) is pretty much impossible without IEMs (canalphones) and/or ANC. That's what you want for plane droning sounds. There are plenty of other sets with ANC these days, but supposedly with respect to the ANC the QC15s are still the ones to beat.
mahnini
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
United States6862 Posts
December 17 2013 05:58 GMT
#644
i was hoping someone would tell me otherwise.
dropping that much money on mediocre sound doesn't sit well with me, but i can't stand iems for that long.

ah well, worth it to save my hearing, i guess. thanks!
the world's a playground. you know that when you're a kid, but somewhere along the way everyone forgets it.
KDot2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States1213 Posts
December 19 2013 01:32 GMT
#645
bump

Im looking for something very similar to my AD700s just newer

any great new models that I might like ? my price range is about 200
Bunn
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Estonia934 Posts
December 21 2013 11:09 GMT
#646
hey

i'm looking for some cheap, 20-30€ alternative for my sennheiser hd 202's which, unfortunately, are starting to show their age. as i'm wearing glasses, comfort is of utmost importance, as my ears may start hurting with some other headphones. sound quality is also important, but i don't think i can really ask for much in my price range (or are there magic headphones with soundcards in my price range?).

I really don't know what is good in the sound world, but i tried looking up some reviews and these caught my eye

Pioneer SE-M290
Audio-Technica Audio-T T200

any other suggestions?

I found these from my local site: http://www.hinnavaatlus.ee/products/Arvutikomponendid/Kõrvaklapid/?search=ab8a5b88849bc3a1ba78b6e7fbfb5653#results

if anyone can suggest some other european shops with shipping to other countries, let me know.

"There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you. A man must constantly exceed his level." - Bruce Lee
da_head
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Canada3350 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-22 02:33:57
December 22 2013 02:19 GMT
#647
hey guys, i recently purchased the sennheiser hd 558s. i was just wondering if there's any software or (cheap) hardware i could get to help improve/boost the sound i get out of them? My motherboard is an asus z871 deluxe. Thanks in advance.

edit: oh im planning to listen to music and game on them. i dont listen to any specific genre of music.
When they see MC Probe, all the ladies disrobe.
Bunn
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Estonia934 Posts
December 22 2013 09:53 GMT
#648
On December 22 2013 11:19 da_head wrote:
hey guys, i recently purchased the sennheiser hd 558s. i was just wondering if there's any software or (cheap) hardware i could get to help improve/boost the sound i get out of them? My motherboard is an asus z871 deluxe. Thanks in advance.

edit: oh im planning to listen to music and game on them. i dont listen to any specific genre of music.


i don't know what price point's cheap to you, but you could look toward 'creative x-fi' series, those are a pretty safe choice.
a more expensive choice would perhaps be NI Traktor Audio 2, but that's probably aimed towards music producers and such

but i'm not an expert, so wait for some other people to reply (tho this thread seems pretty dead)
"There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you. A man must constantly exceed his level." - Bruce Lee
Denzil
Profile Joined August 2010
United Kingdom4193 Posts
December 23 2013 00:38 GMT
#649
I'm looking for some headphones around the £70 - £100 range to use for music when i'm out and about.

i listen to literally everything from kpop to classical to dubstep to vocal so a well balanced pair would be nice

i'm currently looking at the audio technica ATH-ES55 or the audio technica ATH-WS55i (I think they're correct)

firstly i guess is audio technica a decent brand? secondly should i be looking at better alternatives or are they good value? and lastly will they be able to do my varied taste justice in sound quality?

the reviews seem pretty good aside from a couple saying no padding or the cable breaks or whatever, but it's the 1 or 2, 1 star reviews that go "bass is awful, treble is awful, everything is awful" that make me hesitant to commit.
Anna: So Sen how will you prepare for your revenge v MC? Sen: With a smile.
NukeTheBunnys
Profile Joined July 2010
United States1004 Posts
December 23 2013 16:19 GMT
#650
Just broke my sennheisers HD 518 by sitting on them (I know stupid) and I am looking to replace them. I'm looking for some circumaural headphones, probably closed but I'm open to open. I'm looking at a US$250 cap, but targeting more like ~150.

Since I just broke them I have not really started on my research, so I was looking for recommendations to look into more.
When you play the game of drones you win or you die.
rkshox
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
Taiwan536 Posts
December 24 2013 10:30 GMT
#651
Ok, I searched all of TL and no one has mentioned the TteSports Bahamut external USB sound card. I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

So recently my laptop sound card died and I've had to use my horrible horrible laptop speakers for gaming. Ugh, I cringed a little just saying that. Whenever I plugged in a headset or headphones, the speakers and headphones would both have sound. However, with my headphones, only the left ear would emit sound. Super weird.

Anyways, I kept looking for solutions to fix it, but I think it just came down to a hardware issue, so I gave up. Since laptops are mostly if not all on-board sound cards, I started looking for an external sound card option and landed with the TteSports Bahamut.

Does anyone on TL use these? How are they? Do you guys think it will fix my problem? I asked a friend who works for TteSports, but he may have a bias opinion since he works for Tt haha. I've had a lot of Tt products before and they have never failed me, so I'm not reluctant to buy anything Tt, just wanted some feedback from the community.
@ranleee /// "first we expand, then we defense it'
Parametric
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada1261 Posts
December 27 2013 04:49 GMT
#652
I was given some Sony MDR V600 headphones (a long time ago) and I've enjoyed them a lot I was just wondering (idle curiosity) on how they stack up to most headphones out there since I'm not knowledgeable on headphones.
Crispy Bacon craving overload.
Lifan
Profile Joined August 2011
United States73 Posts
December 28 2013 21:54 GMT
#653
I'm looking to get an IEM that costs between 30-70 (weird ears so wearing headphones hurt)

I'll mostly be using it for playing games or listening to music while reading.

I don't need noise canceling or isolating capabilities.
Being able to jog with it is a bonus.

I asked one of my friends and he said to get Klipsch S4i (40 on amazon). However, I'm not sure if i should get it since apparently it breaks really easily.

Does anyone have any other recommendations?

How did the zergling get into my base?
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
December 28 2013 23:12 GMT
#654
On December 23 2013 09:38 Denzil wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
I'm looking for some headphones around the £70 - £100 range to use for music when i'm out and about.

i listen to literally everything from kpop to classical to dubstep to vocal so a well balanced pair would be nice

i'm currently looking at the audio technica ATH-ES55 or the audio technica ATH-WS55i (I think they're correct)

firstly i guess is audio technica a decent brand? secondly should i be looking at better alternatives or are they good value? and lastly will they be able to do my varied taste justice in sound quality?

the reviews seem pretty good aside from a couple saying no padding or the cable breaks or whatever, but it's the 1 or 2, 1 star reviews that go "bass is awful, treble is awful, everything is awful" that make me hesitant to commit.

Audio Technica's a major player that makes all kinds of audio gear including some well-regarded headphones. However, they tend to be overpriced in the UK and Europe in general. Those models mentioned are somewhat popular. In the price range, they should be fine. I don't know much about them.

Portable on-ear headphones are probably the most difficult category to engineer to sound decent and consistent (also probably the least comfortable except for on people who can't take IEMs).

On December 24 2013 01:19 NukeTheBunnys wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
Just broke my sennheisers HD 518 by sitting on them (I know stupid) and I am looking to replace them. I'm looking for some circumaural headphones, probably closed but I'm open to open. I'm looking at a US$250 cap, but targeting more like ~150.

Since I just broke them I have not really started on my research, so I was looking for recommendations to look into more.

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 should be okay so long as your ears are mid-to-smaller size. Otherwise, they're not particularly circumaural, like many so-called circumaural headphones. Beyerdynamic DT 770 is popular but would sound drastically different than the HD 518. Maybe Shure SRH840?

There are plenty of other options these days though.

On December 24 2013 19:30 rkshox wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
Ok, I searched all of TL and no one has mentioned the TteSports Bahamut external USB sound card. I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

So recently my laptop sound card died and I've had to use my horrible horrible laptop speakers for gaming. Ugh, I cringed a little just saying that. Whenever I plugged in a headset or headphones, the speakers and headphones would both have sound. However, with my headphones, only the left ear would emit sound. Super weird.

Anyways, I kept looking for solutions to fix it, but I think it just came down to a hardware issue, so I gave up. Since laptops are mostly if not all on-board sound cards, I started looking for an external sound card option and landed with the TteSports Bahamut.

Does anyone on TL use these? How are they? Do you guys think it will fix my problem? I asked a friend who works for TteSports, but he may have a bias opinion since he works for Tt haha. I've had a lot of Tt products before and they have never failed me, so I'm not reluctant to buy anything Tt, just wanted some feedback from the community.

There are plenty of alternatives from Creative, Asus, and then audio-only companies these days. So the Bahamut is really not that popular, though that could just be from lack of awareness and the market being crowded.

If you're using headphones, some of these are worse than others. Not sure how the Bahamut would stack up. With speakers, most should be closer to the same. Just look at features and whatever functionality supported that you'd like to have.

On December 27 2013 13:49 Parametric wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
I was given some Sony MDR V600 headphones (a long time ago) and I've enjoyed them a lot I was just wondering (idle curiosity) on how they stack up to most headphones out there since I'm not knowledgeable on headphones.

Treble may be a little weird (not as present and with some unevenness) and like many headphones including many that are much more expensive it is missing some of the highest highs and lowest lows. Supposedly it compared unfavorably with the classic MDR V6 (or MDR 7506 now).

However, it should easily fall in the not-messed-up-and-bad category, like most cheap headphones do. You can readily do better, even in a closed headphone, under $100 these days though.

On December 29 2013 06:54 Lifan wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
I'm looking to get an IEM that costs between 30-70 (weird ears so wearing headphones hurt)

I'll mostly be using it for playing games or listening to music while reading.

I don't need noise canceling or isolating capabilities.
Being able to jog with it is a bonus.

I asked one of my friends and he said to get Klipsch S4i (40 on amazon). However, I'm not sure if i should get it since apparently it breaks really easily.

Does anyone have any other recommendations?


Most IEMs if abused will die in short order.

Klipsch S4i has very exaggerated bass and all the way into the lower mids. They're widely maligned in some circles, mostly because of that, but if that's what you want, it should be a reasonable option.

Just to name something else, the VSonic VSD1S.


Note: all suggestions somewhat generic based on lack of info (both from me and from the questions).
IMoperator
Profile Joined October 2011
4476 Posts
December 29 2013 00:08 GMT
#655
astro a40 master race
Lifan
Profile Joined August 2011
United States73 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-29 02:01:06
December 29 2013 01:56 GMT
#656
It looks good from the reviews i've seen on amazon.

But why is there a "burn in " time or whatever for earbuds?

Edit: Didn't realize it's an international company. Could you recommend another?
How did the zergling get into my base?
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
December 29 2013 18:56 GMT
#657
Oh, people usually get that through lendmeurears (or similar and more popular VSD1 model with a few dB less mids; it's really just an alternate tuning of the same thing same thing), which has decent customer service and usually ships free out of a warehouse in the US to US customers. They're Singaporean though, but that means they obviously know English.

The best values tend to be from the Chinese companies, especially Chinese OEMs that make products for others to brand and sell, yeah. Some are decent and others aren't so much.

There's some "burn in" time for pretty much any dynamic transducer where the mechanical parts that fit together and provide support wear in with use (think shoes maybe). However, the overall effect is pretty marginal at best according to lab measurements, though many users swear they hear otherwise. It's kind of a controversy in the nutty audio world, and some companies and marketing departments play along or believe so too. For a listener, there's a significant difference psychologically from getting used to a certain sound, which is probably the vast majority of the effect.

It's hard to say what has the best durability. Most likely there are just a lot of S4i users out there and thus a lot of failed products, but that doesn't give you a percentage or control. If you just want things to look at, Brainwavz M5, Beyerdynamic DTX 101, Etymotic MC2/3/5. These are kind of wildly different. Brainwavz is a rebrand of something ViSang I think (another Chinese OEM), Beyerdynamic has done audio for ages (also check Sennheiser, Audio-Technica, etc.), and Etymotic was the pioneer of in-ear monitors.
S3ph
Profile Joined April 2011
Germany76 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-29 22:45:14
December 29 2013 22:20 GMT
#658
Ahoi, guys.

Im getting a Qpad qh-90 headset. Its an analog closed one with 1 x 3.5 mm jack.

Question #1: is it a good one? Has someone gotten one already/had experience with it?
Question #2: should I get a sound card (like Creative Sound Blaster Z) for it or the onboard sound card (MoBo: Asus M5A97 R2.0 AMD 970) is more than enough?
Dura lex, sed lex!
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
December 29 2013 23:04 GMT
#659
You can wait and see, but the answer to "does anyone have this?" is usually "no."

Most of the gaming peripherals brands are ripping people off on the more expensive headsets, but it really depends. It's a crowded market these days. Even companies like Corsair have headset lineups.

Most audiophiles emphasizing output audio quality (to your ears) rather than input audio quality (meaning the mic) would suggest normal headphones plus some clip-on or desk mic instead, but there are various compromises going that way. However, having two devices does help if the microphone breaks; you can replace only the thing that broke rather than an entire headset when its mic has issues, for example.

Unless you want to turn on and use whatever DSP processing is on Creative's cards these days (some people do), you're better off spending more money in a better headset than diverting funds to both a sound card and a headset. e.g. Sennheiser PC 350, which is maybe overpriced but better known and probably better
S3ph
Profile Joined April 2011
Germany76 Posts
December 30 2013 11:55 GMT
#660
I really appreciate your answer, Myrmidon.
I will test this headset thoroughly. If there will be something I wont like, I have 2 weeks time to send it back.
The Sennheiser you mentioned is really good. I might give it a try, if the qpad is weak.
Dura lex, sed lex!
Prev 1 31 32 33 34 35 47 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 22m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko14
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 1448
firebathero 1055
Shuttle 584
Jaedong 458
BeSt 361
Hyuk 353
Mong 350
Hyun 271
Soma 192
Stork 139
[ Show more ]
PianO 90
Horang2 87
Sexy 83
Larva 75
Shine 65
Mind 63
Rush 61
910 54
Shinee 34
sSak 27
Bale 27
ZerO 26
Hm[arnc] 22
ZergMaN 22
sorry 19
HiyA 17
hero 16
Sharp 16
Noble 15
Terrorterran 9
Dota 2
XcaliburYe68
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1198
shoxiejesuss834
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King253
Other Games
gofns37939
summit1g6654
singsing927
ceh9624
KnowMe134
Pyrionflax125
Livibee69
DeMusliM48
Trikslyr25
ZerO(Twitch)5
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick488
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream36
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1098
• Stunt423
Other Games
• Shiphtur430
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
1h 22m
Patches Events
6h 22m
The PondCast
1d
INu's Battles
1d 1h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 12h
Replay Cast
1d 13h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Disclosure: This page contains affiliate marketing links that support TLnet.

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.