• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:49
CEST 11:49
KST 18:49
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20262Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8071 users

Help me choose computer parts

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
d1v
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Sweden868 Posts
July 21 2011 20:46 GMT
#1
Hey guys! Two days ago, my gaming computer died out of nowhere, right in the middle of my study break and since all of my friends are either working or are on holidays, I'm bored to hell without any decent computer games.

This is why I'd like to put together a new system asap. Unfortunately, I don't have a clue about todays hardware components, which is why I turn to you in search for help.

Being a poor student, my budget is limited (Obama, I feel you man) to USD 650.00. This is what I've come up with. I'd be very grateful if someone could comment on this choice and tell me, whether this is going to work out:

CPU: Intel i5 2300
Mainboard: Gigabyte H67M-D2 B3
Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 13
RAM: Corsair Value Select 4 GB
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 560 OC

Thank you very much in advance!

- d1v
Adams Æbler
jacosajh
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
2919 Posts
July 21 2011 20:54 GMT
#2
It will.

But any reason why you're getting that mobo in particular? You could get away with a cheaper one.

I don't know much about that particular cooler, but you should get the Xigmatek Gaia or Cooler Master Hyper 212+ instead since they're similarly priced and have GREAT reviews. You don't particularly *NEED* them as you can't OC a 2300 much, but it'd be nice to have.

Depending on what resolution you're playing at and what games, your 560 may either be too much, too little, or just right.
d1v
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Sweden868 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-21 21:11:48
July 21 2011 21:10 GMT
#3
On July 22 2011 05:54 jacosajh wrote:
It will.

But any reason why you're getting that mobo in particular? You could get away with a cheaper one.

I don't know much about that particular cooler, but you should get the Xigmatek Gaia or Cooler Master Hyper 212+ instead since they're similarly priced and have GREAT reviews. You don't particularly *NEED* them as you can't OC a 2300 much, but it'd be nice to have.

Depending on what resolution you're playing at and what games, your 560 may either be too much, too little, or just right.


The reason I chose these specific parts is, that being a Swiss resident, the only cheap possibility to get the parts is this website: Coolers. Here's the link for Mainboards: Mainboards. Maybe you could tell me what Cooler/Mainboard to get from that selection.

As for the purpose of this system: I'd like to play BF3/Brink and so on with maybe medium graphics and a reasonable resolution (i.e. 1280 x 1024). Do you think that this system can do it?
Adams Æbler
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
July 21 2011 21:25 GMT
#4
I wouldn't consider 1280x1024 a reasonable resolution, it's a very low resolution. You do not need a GTX 560 to play games at max settings on this resolution. A Radeon HD5770 or similar can easily play current and upcoming games smoothly at max settings at 1280x1024. If you want medium settings, an even less powerful card would be capable.

You don't need an aftermarket hetasink since the provided Intel heatsink is adequate for the processor.

You're also missing a case and power supply.
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-21 21:29:01
July 21 2011 21:27 GMT
#5
Don't get the overclocked GTX 560, just get a regular clocked one for cheaper. It'll save you money, and you can OC it yourself in like 2 minutes with a program you download online that'll do the same thing for you.

Although I've heard that if you're not getting hte Ti version there's better deals to be had, can't be sure. And I'm not sure 1280x1024 constitutes "reasonable resolution" anymore :p. But yes it could easily do it.

If you're not OCing you don't need to buy a separate cooler either, the i5 you bought should come with one.
d1v
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Sweden868 Posts
July 21 2011 21:31 GMT
#6
On July 22 2011 06:25 skyR wrote:
I wouldn't consider 1280x1024 a reasonable resolution, it's a very low resolution. You do not need a GTX 560 to play games at max settings on this resolution. A Radeon HD5770 or similar can easily play current and upcoming games smoothly at max settings at 1280x1024. If you want medium settings, an even less powerful card would be capable.

You don't need an aftermarket hetasink since the provided Intel heatsink is adequate for the processor.

You're also missing a case and power supply.


Oh, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for pointing it out. However, I want this PC to be up to date for the next 2 or so years. Don't you think I should go for the most powerful card within my budget? I'm kind of unsure on this. Oh btw, I already own a case and a power supply (450 W).
Adams Æbler
d1v
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Sweden868 Posts
July 21 2011 21:33 GMT
#7
On July 22 2011 06:27 FabledIntegral wrote:
Don't get the overclocked GTX 560, just get a regular clocked one for cheaper. It'll save you money, and you can OC it yourself in like 2 minutes with a program you download online that'll do the same thing for you.

Although I've heard that if you're not getting hte Ti version there's better deals to be had, can't be sure. And I'm not sure 1280x1024 constitutes "reasonable resolution" anymore :p. But yes it could easily do it.

If you're not OCing you don't need to buy a separate cooler either, the i5 you bought should come with one.


Ok, I'll keep that in mind, in case I'll buy a GTX 560 at all. Do you happen know the name of the OC-program you mentioned?
Adams Æbler
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-21 21:59:57
July 21 2011 21:49 GMT
#8
On July 22 2011 06:33 d1v wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 22 2011 06:27 FabledIntegral wrote:
Don't get the overclocked GTX 560, just get a regular clocked one for cheaper. It'll save you money, and you can OC it yourself in like 2 minutes with a program you download online that'll do the same thing for you.

Although I've heard that if you're not getting hte Ti version there's better deals to be had, can't be sure. And I'm not sure 1280x1024 constitutes "reasonable resolution" anymore :p. But yes it could easily do it.

If you're not OCing you don't need to buy a separate cooler either, the i5 you bought should come with one.


Ok, I'll keep that in mind, in case I'll buy a GTX 560 at all. Do you happen know the name of the OC-program you mentioned?


MSI Afterburner.

If you have an AMD card you can use Sapphire Trixx, which I prefer over Afterburner for my 6650M card on my laptop. I use Afterburner for my GTX 460.
jacosajh
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
2919 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-21 21:57:51
July 21 2011 21:54 GMT
#9
To add to everything else everyone said, make sure your PSU actually has the connectors you need for your GPU. You need a 6-pin PCIe in the very least for a decent GPU (i.e. 5770); two for more powerful ones (i.e. 560)

GPUs usually come with a 2-molex-to-6-pin-PCIe adapter if you have them available. Like all of my 5770's came with them. I'm not sure about the ones requiring two, but if you already have 1 6-pin PCIe and have two molex, you could use that.
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
July 21 2011 21:57 GMT
#10
On July 22 2011 06:31 d1v wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 22 2011 06:25 skyR wrote:
I wouldn't consider 1280x1024 a reasonable resolution, it's a very low resolution. You do not need a GTX 560 to play games at max settings on this resolution. A Radeon HD5770 or similar can easily play current and upcoming games smoothly at max settings at 1280x1024. If you want medium settings, an even less powerful card would be capable.

You don't need an aftermarket hetasink since the provided Intel heatsink is adequate for the processor.

You're also missing a case and power supply.


Oh, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for pointing it out. However, I want this PC to be up to date for the next 2 or so years. Don't you think I should go for the most powerful card within my budget? I'm kind of unsure on this. Oh btw, I already own a case and a power supply (450 W).


If you plan on buying a 1080p monitor sometime in the distant future than sure but if you don't have any intention to do so than it's an utter waste.
jazzyjazz
Profile Joined October 2010
941 Posts
July 21 2011 22:01 GMT
#11
Hey,

I'm not sure if you're going to need a seperate CPU cooler for this build. The i5-2300 doesn't have any overclocking, only the K-series intel CPU's have any meaningful overclocking (turboboost doesn't count). The h6 series motherboards are not capable of overclocking. As well, the 2nd-gen Intel i-series CPU's are extremely efficient and therefore do not generate as much heat and therefore do reasonably well on stock coolers. There are many people who overclocked their i5-2500k to around 4.5ghz stable with a stock cooler. Taking the cooler out of the build would save yourself $50 But if you get decide to purchase the cooler, it wouldn't be a bad decision either because personally myself I like it when things are nice and cool.

As someone else mentioned before, you can just get the gtx560 regular version and overclock it yourself with MSI's afterburner software. That would save you $20 or so. Hope this helps.
Eat emmmmmmmmmm
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
July 21 2011 22:02 GMT
#12
On July 22 2011 06:31 d1v wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 22 2011 06:25 skyR wrote:
I wouldn't consider 1280x1024 a reasonable resolution, it's a very low resolution. You do not need a GTX 560 to play games at max settings on this resolution. A Radeon HD5770 or similar can easily play current and upcoming games smoothly at max settings at 1280x1024. If you want medium settings, an even less powerful card would be capable.

You don't need an aftermarket hetasink since the provided Intel heatsink is adequate for the processor.

You're also missing a case and power supply.


Oh, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for pointing it out. However, I want this PC to be up to date for the next 2 or so years. Don't you think I should go for the most powerful card within my budget? I'm kind of unsure on this. Oh btw, I already own a case and a power supply (450 W).


No, you shouldn't buy the most powerful card, although it's not even remotely in your budget. If you buy the most powerful card you might as well get a better processor with it, and now your budget is skyrocketing.
d1v
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Sweden868 Posts
July 21 2011 22:08 GMT
#13
On July 22 2011 06:49 FabledIntegral wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 22 2011 06:33 d1v wrote:
On July 22 2011 06:27 FabledIntegral wrote:
Don't get the overclocked GTX 560, just get a regular clocked one for cheaper. It'll save you money, and you can OC it yourself in like 2 minutes with a program you download online that'll do the same thing for you.

Although I've heard that if you're not getting hte Ti version there's better deals to be had, can't be sure. And I'm not sure 1280x1024 constitutes "reasonable resolution" anymore :p. But yes it could easily do it.

If you're not OCing you don't need to buy a separate cooler either, the i5 you bought should come with one.


Ok, I'll keep that in mind, in case I'll buy a GTX 560 at all. Do you happen know the name of the OC-program you mentioned?


MSI Afterburner.

If you have an AMD card you can use Sapphire Trixx, which I prefer over Afterburner for my 6650M card on my laptop. I use Afterburner for my GTX 460.


Thank you, I'll make sure to check it out.
Adams Æbler
d1v
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Sweden868 Posts
July 21 2011 22:10 GMT
#14
On July 22 2011 06:54 jacosajh wrote:
To add to everything else everyone said, make sure your PSU actually has the connectors you need for your GPU. You need a 6-pin PCIe in the very least for a decent GPU (i.e. 5770); two for more powerful ones (i.e. 560)

GPUs usually come with a 2-molex-to-6-pin-PCIe adapter if you have them available. Like all of my 5770's came with them. I'm not sure about the ones requiring two, but if you already have 1 6-pin PCIe and have two molex, you could use that.


Ok, I'll check my PSU for said connectors then. Do you think that 450 W are enough to power the system adequately?
Adams Æbler
d1v
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Sweden868 Posts
July 21 2011 22:14 GMT
#15
Hmm, it seems the system I thought up is an overkill. If I were to ask you to put together a system that runs BF3/similar games smoothly on medium-high settings with a 1280 x 1024 resolution, what would you choose?
Adams Æbler
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
July 21 2011 22:16 GMT
#16
A quality 450w unit is more than enough to power such a configuration. You got a power supply that was included with your case I pressume? This would be iffy...
d1v
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Sweden868 Posts
July 21 2011 22:23 GMT
#17
On July 22 2011 07:16 skyR wrote:
A quality 450w unit is more than enough to power such a configuration. You got a power supply that was included with your case I pressume? This would be iffy...


No, I bought one extra. The brand is called "Raptoxx", rather unknown I think.
Adams Æbler
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
July 21 2011 22:25 GMT
#18
On July 22 2011 07:14 d1v wrote:
Hmm, it seems the system I thought up is an overkill. If I were to ask you to put together a system that runs BF3/similar games smoothly on medium-high settings with a 1280 x 1024 resolution, what would you choose?


Why make a build that only runs medium settings if you can get one that'll play high/ultra with that budget^^. Unless you're trying to cut costs. Then you could get something like a GTS 450 and i3 2100, which would cost you about $70 (after rebate) and $90 respectively (i3 2100 is on sale at Frys for $90, it's usually a little bit more, like $100).

What make is your PSU? While whatever you say will mean nothing to me I'm sure someone else will be able to tell you if it's adequate^^.
d1v
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Sweden868 Posts
July 21 2011 22:29 GMT
#19
On July 22 2011 07:25 FabledIntegral wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 22 2011 07:14 d1v wrote:
Hmm, it seems the system I thought up is an overkill. If I were to ask you to put together a system that runs BF3/similar games smoothly on medium-high settings with a 1280 x 1024 resolution, what would you choose?


Why make a build that only runs medium settings if you can get one that'll play high/ultra with that budget^^. Unless you're trying to cut costs. Then you could get something like a GTS 450 and i3 2100, which would cost you about $70 (after rebate) and $90 respectively (i3 2100 is on sale at Frys for $90, it's usually a little bit more, like $100).

What make is your PSU? While whatever you say will mean nothing to me I'm sure someone else will be able to tell you if it's adequate^^.


That's what I did first, but then I was told that the system proposed by me was in fact way over the top. I can actually afford the system I posted first, it's just that I was told it's unneccessary.
Adams Æbler
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
July 21 2011 22:30 GMT
#20
On July 22 2011 07:29 d1v wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 22 2011 07:25 FabledIntegral wrote:
On July 22 2011 07:14 d1v wrote:
Hmm, it seems the system I thought up is an overkill. If I were to ask you to put together a system that runs BF3/similar games smoothly on medium-high settings with a 1280 x 1024 resolution, what would you choose?


Why make a build that only runs medium settings if you can get one that'll play high/ultra with that budget^^. Unless you're trying to cut costs. Then you could get something like a GTS 450 and i3 2100, which would cost you about $70 (after rebate) and $90 respectively (i3 2100 is on sale at Frys for $90, it's usually a little bit more, like $100).

What make is your PSU? While whatever you say will mean nothing to me I'm sure someone else will be able to tell you if it's adequate^^.


That's what I did first, but then I was told that the system proposed by me was in fact way over the top. I can actually afford the system I posted first, it's just that I was told it's unneccessary.


Unnecessary... at that resolution.
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 11m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 206
EnDerr 8
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 25962
Hyuk 669
Bisu 354
Rush 317
actioN 220
Stork 196
Soma 152
EffOrt 86
Pusan 61
Mong 57
[ Show more ]
ToSsGirL 56
Shinee 56
NotJumperer 54
Yoon 52
Shine 51
Bale 45
Killer 36
Barracks 30
Sharp 27
ajuk12(nOOB) 25
Noble 24
sorry 15
yabsab 11
Sacsri 10
HiyA 10
Dota 2
Gorgc3218
League of Legends
JimRising 386
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1265
shoxiejesuss894
edward32
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King110
Other Games
gofns33089
summit1g7226
singsing1341
ceh9577
crisheroes193
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick662
BasetradeTV163
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream22
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 37
• LUISG 22
• killerbeecast5
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV208
• lizZardDota2140
League of Legends
• Stunt418
Other Games
• Shiphtur904
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
11m
INu's Battles
1h 11m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
3h 11m
OSC
12h 26m
Replay Cast
13h 11m
OSC
1d 13h
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.